Zach Ertz about to be traded? [Edit: or Not]

Rubes

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I just wanted to point out that this thread is now north of 39,000 views.  Holy smokes we love our Bills.

I bet this thread on the jets boards would have more views. 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I just wanted to point out that this thread is now north of 39,000 views.  Holy smokes we love our Bills.

Speak for yourself. I’m just waiting for the exact right moment to say that the Jets, Phins, and Pats all got much better than us. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, RyanC883 said:

I don’t get how Ertz would warrant a coach/GM presser.   

I don't think he would, necessarily.

I think they were going to do a presser today, regardless, to discuss the re-signings to date and answer questions from the media.

The fact that the presser was pushed back an hour, though, has led people to speculate that it's because Beane and co are working on something behind the scenes -- like finalizing a trade.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

We'll see. I get where you're coming from, but it is a fact that he's been remarkably injury free. In 11 years, he's never played in fewer than 11 games, and most seasons he has played basically the full 16 games (and 17 in 2019, a year when he was traded). He also had a 75 percent catch rate last season while averaging 12 ypc, which as you know is pretty darn good. It's also the highest pct of his career. Granted, it was Brees throwing the ball, but it's still very good. He looked the same as ever to me last season.  Also, he was brought in by the Saints for the same reason the Bills brought him in -- to complement a true #1 (Michael Thomas) and present more problems for defenses because Sanders is very adept at handling complex offenses requiring an ability to handle a big route tree with precision.   

I'll add one additional comment to this divergent offshoot.  Having Sanders instead of Samuals makes it easier for the Bills to go WR at 30 if that is deemed bpa.  If Toney is there and they like him, they can easily fit him into the plans.  Not so much if they already have Diggs/Samual/Davis.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mcdermott said:

If I’m Beane, I’m dropping my offer a round or two. Why bid against yourself?

If Roseman wasn't happy with the initial offers - I think the best we can hope for is he concedes to it. Offering less would be a really good way to kill it completely.

Personally, I'm not offering higher than a 4th. If it takes the 30th pick in the 3rd Round, I could live with it. But anything beyond that is absolute crazy talk given his age and that we'd have to pay him on top of it.

Side note - what if it isn't Ertz at all? What if it's Philip Lindsey? I'd be thrilled with that too.

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If Roseman wasn't happy with the initial offers - I think the best we can hope for is he concedes to it. Offering less would be a really good way to kill it completely.

Personally, I'm not offering higher than a 4th. If it takes the 30th pick in the 3rd Round, I could live with it. But anything beyond that is absolute crazy talk given his age and that we'd have to pay him on top of it.

Side note - what if it isn't Ertz at all? What if it's Philip Lindsey? I'd be thrilled with that too.

Thing is they don't have a 4th.  I would like them to keep the 3rd.

Beane has to go with a 5th and something else.  I would hope.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I'll add one additional comment to this divergent offshoot.  Having Sanders instead of Samuals makes it easier for the Bills to go WR at 30 if that is deemed bpa.  If Toney is there and they like him, they can easily fit him into the plans.  Not so much if they already have Diggs/Samual/Davis.

Well, I think it's kind of the opposite, innit?  If they signed Samuel they'd be less locked in to WR at 30.  

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

All depends on what the offer is, really. Ertz isn't worth a 3rd -- especially when you're the only team pursuing him via trade. If the offer was always a 5 or maybe our 3 for their 4, then sure, maybe you keep the offer as is, but the Chargers bowing out absolutely changes the negotiating dynamic. Howie has a history of taking what he can get, so no need to blink early. Call his bluff and sign Ertz after he's cut...

Just now, glazeduck said:

All depends on what the offer is, really. Ertz isn't worth a 3rd -- especially when you're the only team pursuing him via trade. If the offer was always a 5 or maybe our 3 for their 4, then sure, maybe you keep the offer as is, but the Chargers bowing out absolutely changes the negotiating dynamic. Howie has a history of taking what he can get, so no need to blink early. Call his bluff and sign Ertz after he's cut...

It won’t be anything less than a 3rd.