Shaq Barrett should have won MVP not Brady

Big Turk

Barrett was a one man wrecking crew last night, was constantly in Mahomes face and was chasing him all over the field. No idea how Brady wins MVP when he throws for barely 200 yards and it clearly was the D that won them the game.

And if not Barrett then it should have gone to Devin White because he was making plays all over the place as well...but mostly because Mahomes was under intense pressure and had to get rid of the ball so quick.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Barrett was a one man wrecking crew last night, was constantly in Mahomes face and was chasing him all over the field. No idea how Brady wins MVP when he throws flor barely 200 yards and it clearly was the D that won them the game.

And if not Barrett then it should have gone to Devin White because he was making plays all over the place as well...but mostly because Mahomes was under intense pressure and had to get rid of the ball so quick.

I just mentioned this very thing in another post

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Barrett was a one man wrecking crew last night, was constantly in Mahomes face and was chasing him all over the field. No idea how Brady wins MVP when he throws flor barely 200 yards and it clearly was the D that won them the game.

On a related note, Barrett is sort of an amazing and interesting story. He was an UDFA out of Colorado state for Denver. Played as a backup and PS player. Just spent his time grinding and learning everything he could from Von Miller and Demarcus Ware. 

Denver liked him but let him walk because they had Chubb and Miller. Then he is ready to sign a somewhat long-term deal with Cincy, and Cincy pulls the plug on it. 

he scrambles to sign a 1-year deal with Tampa in 2019, and get 19.5 sacks!! 

He is going to be signing a monster deal this off-season, and deservedly so. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

The defense was the better side last night, but no individual player had as much of an impact or put up the numbers that Brady did. I don't know how anyone could really single out Shaq or White. They were good, no doubt, but were they really any better than Vita Vea, Winfield, Lavonte David, etc? I don't know. They couldn't just give the SB MVP to the entire team, but that's really what was deserved.

Brady was nearly flawless last night and finished with good numbers despite taking their foot off the gas the last quarter of the game. In a game where nobody really had standout numbers, that was enough.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He had good pass rush all night, agreed.   But 1 tackle and 1 sack does not Super Bowl MVP make.   The guy who has the ball in his hands the majority of the game, throws three TDS, and doesnt turn it over wins the MVP.

He did turn it over.  Take a look at the “defensive holding” at 7:55 of the 2nd qtr.  gift from the refs.  

that is NOT defensive holding 

• Like (+1) 2

Brady didn’t deserve the MVP. That was a totally pedestrian performance by a QB. I just don’t think the voters knew how to give it to an entire defensive unit...which was actually the correct account. The Bucs D one that game from beginning to end. No doubt about it. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He did turn it over.  Take a look at the “defensive holding” at 7:55 of the 2nd qtr.  gift from the refs.  

Ok, then call it illegal contact.  It's a penalty.  He is mugging him the same way they did against the Bills and were getting away with it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Ok, then call it illegal contact.  It's a penalty.  He is mugging him the same way they did against the Bills and were getting away with it.

That contact occurs on almost every route. I watched the Bills chiefs game twice in all-22. The chiefs were doing this to our WRs all game (and to opponents all season).  Why is it a penalty now?  The inconsistency is the problem. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That contact occurs on almost every route. I watched the Bills chiefs game twice in all-22. The chiefs were doing this to our WRs all game (and to opponents all season).  Why is it a penalty now?  The inconsistency is the problem. 

It was a penalty that game too....they just chose not to call them in any playoff game except this one.

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You can disagree with the call all you want, it goes down as holding because the guy who gets paid to make that decision made it.  He has no turnovers on the official stat sheet.

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Brady didn’t deserve the MVP. That was a totally pedestrian performance by a QB. I just don’t think the voters knew how to give it to an entire defensive unit...which was actually the correct account. The Bucs D one that game from beginning to end. No doubt about it. 

Problem is a person gets the award, not a position.  Agree was pedestrian effort, but no one player stood out on the defense heads and shoulders above.  Can make the same argument about 1 sack and 1 tackle, the rest was just what he's paid for and with the help of others around him.

It's very hard for anyone other than QB, WR, or RB to win award as all others are too connected to those around them.  What's there been about 2 defensive players all time have won the SB MVP??  Maybe if a CB has 2+ int's he could win it, assuming no one on the offensive side stand out.

9 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You can disagree with the call all you want, it goes down as holding because the guy who gets paid to make that decision made it.  He has no turnovers on the official stat sheet.

Yup....he has no turnovers because someone made a big mistake....not because he didn’t throw any interceptions

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It was a penalty that game too....they just chose not to call them in any playoff game except this one.

and they chose not to call it on 20 other routes during the game.  The contact that occurs on that route occurs often and is rarely called

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Problem is a person gets the award, not a position.  Agree was pedestrian effort, but no one player stood out on the defense heads and shoulders above.  Can make the same argument about 1 sack and 1 tackle, the rest was just what he's paid for and with the help of others around him.

It's very hard for anyone other than QB, WR, or RB to win award as all others are too connected to those around them.  What's there been about 2 defensive players all time have won the SB MVP??  Maybe if a CB has 2+ int's he could win it, assuming no one on the offensive side stand out.

Totally agree. But I guess yesterday shows how flawed the award actually is then. Why not just give it to the Bucs defense? In the end, that Unit clearly won the game. And...if you can’t give it to a Unit, then pick SOMEONE out to represent that Unit. Yesterday’s game was not a standout performance by Tom Brady. 

Brady won it because he handled Spagnola's blitzes, distributed the ball to open receivers, kept the sticks moving and was VERY accurate.  The offense was efficient because of him.  Call it pedestrian numbers, but consider how pretty much every other QB has looked against the Chiefs D all season.  

Brady was Brady, and he won't be in our Div next season.  👍

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, P Riv said:

Brady won it because he handled Spagnola's blitzes, distributed the ball to open receivers, kept the sticks moving and was VERY accurate.  The offense was efficient because of him.  Call it pedestrian numbers, but consider how pretty much every other QB has looked against the Chiefs D all season.  

Brady was Brady, and he won't be in our Div next season.  👍

Threw it to backs and TE's to move the chains and were able to be in 2nd and medium to short most of the night due to their ability to pick up 4-8 yards routinely with runs on first down. Not saying the Bills need to run the ball on first down a ton more since first down is the best passing down, but they need to be able to do it effectively situationally in games a lot better.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Barrett was a one man wrecking crew last night, was constantly in Mahomes face and was chasing him all over the field. No idea how Brady wins MVP when he throws for barely 200 yards and it clearly was the D that won them the game.

All well and good - but brady was in complete control.  The end of half TD followed by the drive after KC scored to bring it 21-9 were just complete game changers.  Forced KC to be one dimensional, and I felt like if they needed to score more they would have. 

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Threw it to backs and TE's to move the chains and were able to be in 2nd and medium to short most of the night due to their ability to pick up 4-8 yards routinely with runs on first down. Not saying the Bills need to run the ball on first down a ton more since first down is the best passing down, but they need to be able to do it effectively situationally in games a lot better.

You do against KC so you don't get the hell blitzed out of you on 3rd and long.  It helps having a TE like gronk that you can run in 11.  If they wanna play their 6 DBs that means you have a DB matched up with him 1x1.  They also did that same play we did where you leak the TE out and have the iso Wr block - and it works so much better when gronk just trucks the DB there.

46 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Totally agree. But I guess yesterday shows how flawed the award actually is then. Why not just give it to the Bucs defense? In the end, that Unit clearly won the game. And...if you can’t give it to a Unit, then pick SOMEONE out to represent that Unit. Yesterday’s game was not a standout performance by Tom Brady. 

Yeah but if given to entire defense, then it would be like the kids fighting over the keys for the truck!

I did hear yesterday that the last couple of MVP's Brady's won, he gave the truck away to one of his teammates.  They were even speculating that he'd be giving it to White.  But then the other person commented that Brady's kid is now old enough to drive, so maybe he'll keep this one for him.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I actually thought Gronk might get the MVP. He had 6 rec for 67yds and 2 TD's leading Tampa in all of those categories. 

I thought he might as well. He had a great game, but as TB took over the game, he became less of a factor/production puttered out. I thought Fournette had a bunch of great runs and was effective in the receiving game, if they kept riding him and he gotten a second TD he could very well have been deserving of it. 

All in all giving it to Brady was fine. You can't get the MVP to an entire unit or side of the ball. 3 TD's, 72%, no turn overs, and just 1 sack, is MVP production, especially when nobody else a super disruptive stat line. 

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

On a related note, Barrett is sort of an amazing and interesting story. He was an UDFA out of Colorado state for Denver. Played as a backup and PS player. Just spent his time grinding and learning everything he could from Von Miller and Demarcus Ware. 

Denver liked him but let him walk because they had Chubb and Miller. Then he is ready to sign a somewhat long-term deal with Cincy, and Cincy pulls the plug on it. 

I don't think he got a D1 offer out of HS.  He played for a small college in Nebraska, I think, that ended up cutting their football program.  CSU picked him up.

Edit - I have also just learned that he went to Boys Town in Nebraska earlier.  Quite the story.

Edited by Pokebball
added to response
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I said the same thing during the game and my buddy looked at me like I was crazy. Barrett was disrupting on every play and one of the main reasons mahomes had no time. Did he light up the stat sheet? No but mahones looked human for a change because of him.

Not opposed to giving Brady the MVP though (he was in complete control and the most important piece to that offense), just thought Barrett deserves a lot of recognition.

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I said the same thing during the game and my buddy looked at me like I was crazy. Barrett was disrupting on every play and one of the main reasons mahomes had no time. Did he light up the stat sheet? No but mahones looked human for a change because of him.

Not opposed to giving Brady the MVP though (he was in complete control and the most important piece to that offense), just thought Barrett deserves a lot of recognition.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

This is, IMO, the big gap in the Bills game.  Cover1, Brett Kollman, and others have pointed out in film breakdowns that teams give our backs and TE a ***** TON of space because they bet on Josh Allen not taking that option but forcing the ball downfield.

I don't know what the problem is - does Josh not trust his guys to catch those?  Does he not trust himself to throw those accurately under pressure?  Is it between his ears where he's so focused on taking the big shot that he simply doesn't see the open guy underneath?  Is it coaching, that early in the game he's being coached to take his shots? 

But IMHO this is one of the biggest gaps in the Bills game and just as we stand, there are games where we could have won or at worst been more competitive or made the score more comfortable if we just did this judiciously.

Whatever the problem is, Allen and the Bills need to disassemble it and have it removed in a plain van this off season.

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Barrett is a FA?  That's good. More edge rushers at FA mean more likely that we can land an impact one! 

How about Jason Pierre-Paul?

How about Devon White?  He had a monster game.

Shows us what we are missing with Edmunds.

That Tampa roster is a hell of a lot better than just Tom Brady.  

They have a GOOD team with DEPTH.