Chan Gailey resigns as OC of Dolphins

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Nobody gets "wound up". 

But its undeniable that after the Rams/Cardinals game for the Dolphins, that media lost their minds about Tua and Flores and have been on the love-fest with him since. 

It isn't undeniable. I deny it. I think Bills fans have this weird sensitivity to anyone else getting praised. Flores has been praised because he has done a very good job turning the worst team in football into a 10 win team in two seasons. Tua got some praise early, but he has got killed of late. The media has reacted as his performances have dictated. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

It isn't undeniable. I deny it. I think Bills fans have this weird sensitivity to anyone else getting praised. Flores has been praised because he has done a very good job turning the worst team in football into a 10 win team in two seasons. Tua got some praise early, but he has got killed of late. The media has reacted as his performances have dictated. 

That's not what this is at all. 

I had the impression Chan came back this year specifically to work with Fitz. Pure speculation here, but I wonder if the decision to switch to Tua, despite Fitz playing well, rubbed Chan the wrong way.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Nobody gets "wound up". 

But its undeniable that after the Rams/Cardinals game for the Dolphins, that media lost their minds about Tua and Flores and have been on the love-fest with him since. 

Lawd, they was lovey dovey. 😁

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

They reported he was fired yesterday and then retracted it. Wonder if he waa given the option to resign or be fired and he chose the former.

That was proven a fake Adam Schefter account so a bogus post.  Maybe someone had an idea he was retiring, but it wasn’t retracted.

I'd be fine with bringing Fitz back.  There's be no question as to his role on the team.  He's a guy that could win some games for us if JA went down with an injury.  He's a team guy and loves Buffalo and the Bills.  Gailey's a very good OC, but I don't think bringing him back is a good idea.  His style of offense doesn't fit JA as well as it fits others and the Bills should go with continuity (Dorsey) if Daboll leaves.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Maybe part of that, but bigger part may have been he didn't at all agree with benching Fitz.

Maybe his plan is that he and Fitz go somewhere next season as a package deal. LOL

no package could be complete without Chan, Fitz and Stevie Johnson

• Like (+1) 1

If Gailey was fired, he would still collect the rest of the pay on his contract.  If he resigned or retired, he won't. 

Seriously, if Daboll gets a HC job, we could do a lot worse than Gailey as OC.  I don't think there's any possibility of Fitz coming back too, since he'll cost way too much for a backup QB, and the Bills seem fine with Barkley in that job.

4 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Chan is the master of making chicken salad out of chicken *. It’s a shame that no has taken notice and given him a chance with an elite QB. Look at what Nate Hackett has done in Green Bay. 

Spiller with Chan=excellent.  Spiller with Hacket=not excellent. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're joking right?

In fairness, Chan is a tremendous offensive mind............he can scheme a system to whatever talent he is given.........and subsequently made something of offenses that the system-bound Daboll would have finished dead last and been fired with.    Gailey is like Wade Phillips.........Daboll is like Jim Schwartz.   Both work.......one REQUIRES more talent than the other to be competent.

I prefer the Bills stay with this system they are in and build on it and Chan is friggin' 69 years old at this point.......but he's no joke.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In fairness, Chan is a tremendous offensive mind............he can scheme a system to whatever talent he is given.........and subsequently made something of offenses that the system-bound Daboll would have finished dead last and been fired with.    Gailey is like Wade Phillips.........Daboll is like Jim Schwartz.   Both work.......one REQUIRES more talent than the other to be competent.

I prefer the Bills stay with this system they are in and build on it and Chan is friggin' 69 years old at this point.......but he's no joke.

I don't think Chan is a joke at all.  But I'm hoping a suggestion that Chan and Fitz should return here is.

I believe that Chan is a guy who can get the most out of minimal talent.  It's undetermined whether he can get the most out of maximal talent though, and as you point out - he's getting on in years, he's been retired.

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Omar Kelly is advocating for Ken Dorsey as OC for Miami. That’s a great idea for them but not for us :(

We have the ability to block that.  Whether we would or not, depends on us, but I doubt we approve any interview until we know what's going on with Daboll.

4 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Quite the twist ! Good guy, was a good OV, bad HC. His O success with Fitz shows that the game hasnt passed him by. Perhaps the org commitment to Tua disappointed him. When did he last work with a good QB ?

Edit: looked it up . Late 90s with Aikman. 

More likely unhappy working with Tua at all and felt he was picked too early and not ready for NFL without a preseason.

There were false social media posts about him leaving and I am wondering if some of them were rumors the Phish was 

Chan and Allen would be an interesting combination.  Chan was very creative.

Now if Fitzpatrick leaves it would leave no one on that team I would cheer for.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think Chan is a joke at all.  But I'm hoping a suggestion that Chan and Fitz should return here is.

I believe that Chan is a guy who can get the most out of minimal talent.  It's undetermined whether he can get the most out of maximal talent though, and as you point out - he's getting on in years, he's been retired.

We have the ability to block that.  Whether we would or not, depends on us, but I doubt we approve any interview until we know what's going on with Daboll.

So you don't think Gailey and Fitz would be a good replacement for a Dabooll departure? 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, scribo said:

Words matter. The word chosen here is "resign." Not retire. This is likely Flores asking for Chan's resignation out of respect rather than firing him.

When he resigns he does not get guaranteed salary so this would be odd to me.  Maybe he has job lined up but he could still keep Phish on hook for salary.

I had one company offer to let me resign rather than be let go (another worker who was my "partner" was fired) and offered me multiple months salary including benefits.  I was being let go by new VP of Software Development who brought his one toadie; owner promised to be hands off so he could not mandate I be kept so gave me buyout.  Went home and reading paper on bus found ad from place which would do resume packages (before age of desktop publishing).  He saw my resume, asked it was genuine and I said yes. He said he had a client needing my skills and if I went on interview he would do it for free.  Fired on Friday, went to interview on Monday (transportation expense paid by publisher) and got job so I double dipped for a few months.

When you are being let go you need to get all you can from employer if you have any leverage.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I guess that means the Dolphins are releasing Fitzpatrick. 

Wonder if Flores pinned Tua’s implosion on him? 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/ryan-fitzpatrick-1336/

Current Contract

Ryan Fitzpatrick signed a 2 year, $11,000,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including $7,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,500,000. In 2020, Fitzpatrick will earn a base salary of $8,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $8,000,000 and a dead cap value of $8,000,000.

FREE AGENT:2021 / UFA

1 hour ago, spartacus said:

no package could be complete without Chan, Fitz and Stevie Johnson

I think you are being funny but Fitz was the only QB who could use Stevie properly.

Part of it was both being backups and practicing together but Stevie had unique way of running routes to get to spots he needed to without necessarily running routes as written up.  Fitz understood the adjustments me was making but CBs didn't especially Revis who was All-Pro at time.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2013/11/04/the-case-for-stevie-johnson

6 hours ago, billsfan28277 said:

He knows there is going to be an opening in Buffalo soon and he wants to work with a real QB!

I am actually a Gailey fan as an OC and what he can do with very little. But if Daboll leaves I wouldn’t be mad if Chan came in, but I don’t think Chan’s style fits with our offensive personality/personnel. 

Also, I think I’d prefer some continuity and move Dorsey up...assuming Daboll doesn’t take him with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

More likely unhappy working with Tua at all and felt he was picked too early and not ready for NFL without a preseason.

There were false social media posts about him leaving and I am wondering if some of them were rumors the Phish was 

Chan and Allen would be an interesting combination.  Chan was very creative.

Now if Fitzpatrick leaves it would leave no one on that team I would cheer for.

If true, it would be ironic considering who he "rushed to the podium" to pick in 2010 😐

This is hilarious to me obviously as the O coordinator this shows how limited Chan felt bc of tuas limitations or the fact that he doesn't believe in Tua. I take it as good news for the bills 

https://dolphinnation.com/2021/01/06/tua-tagovailoa-being-named-next-seasons-starter-reason-chan-gailey-resigned/

Edited by FastFreddy22
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FastFreddy22 said:

This is hilarious to me obviously as the O coordinator this shows how limited Chan felt bc of tuas limitations or the fact that he doesn't believe in Tua. I take it as good news for the bills 

https://dolphinnation.com/2021/01/06/tua-tagovailoa-being-named-next-seasons-starter-reason-chan-gailey-resigned/

Exactly what I speculated based on the timing.

Chan can read a trail... 

If I'm not mistaken Chan prefers to work with veteran QBs, when he was our HC he couldn't wait to sit Edwards in favor of Fitz. I'm not saying this is what's happening right now in Miami, but I believe Chan Gailey is candid enough to say this won't work going forwards with Tua as his signal caller. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I am actually a Gailey fan as an OC and what he can do with very little. But if Daboll leaves I wouldn’t be mad if Chan came in, but I don’t think Chan’s style fits with our offensive personality/personnel. 

Also, I think I’d prefer some continuity and move Dorsey up...assuming Daboll doesn’t take him with him. 

When Chan was here he loved the spread offense. 4-5 wide.  That works well for us so I disagree.  Plus Chan was the last hc to have a great screen game here.

• Like (+1) 1