Week 17: Dolphins at Bills - Squish the Fish playoff hopes and dreams

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Average Guinness Premiership salary is £120,000. The highest paid player at Wasps (where Wade played) is on £420,000 and Wade would not have been in that top bracket which is reserved for international regulars - Wade only played 6 tests for England. A reasonable guesstimate is between £250k and £300k a year. 

He likely took a pay cut to be on the practice squad in the NFL but not a huge one and his partner is American. Obviously if he ever makes an active roster it is a big pay rise.

He was not a star in Rugby. He was a good Premiership player and a great sevens player but not up to international XVs standard. If you want me to give you an NFL equivalent he was in Rugby about what John Brown is in the NFL. A good player, a playmaker, but not a star.

Thanks for the info. So at 275GBP he was making about $375k US vs. $143k now. 

My original point was responding to a comment that he was making more money now than he ever had, was incorrect. That is very likely true.  

But the lesson learned is don't quote any data on here without Googling it first! (Which sadly, I already knew to be the case...)

45 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wade's salary this year is $142,800.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/christian-wade-28987/

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know what Wade made as a professional rugby player.  @GunnerBill gave his somewhat educated thoughts a while back.

Practice squad players this year make $8,400/week for every week they are on the practice squad.  I'm not sure whether or not the bye week is paid.  If not, that's $134,400 per season.  If so, that's $142,800 per season.

Either way, it's more than $100k per season.

I should have googled it...thanks for the correction. I was going off old data in the cranium. At some point those practice squad guys were below 100k...maybe many years ago (I am not googling it!) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

"I wonder if the Antonio Williams call up means they aren't happy with Singletary or Moss and want to see what Williams can do. "

That’s straight up nuts. Both backs have been productive most of the year, and good blockers in the passing game when called upon. Playing out their roles exactly how the team appears to want them to. When they’ve struggled to run this season it’s been because d lineman are 2 yards deep in our backfield

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We elevated Becker.  Maybe we plan to see him a lot.

How many elevations from practice squad do we normally get?  Dane Jackson is our covid-call-up for Yeldon I assume.

Yes, Becker will see action.  Hey, why not see what he can do?  

I don’t know all the PS rules.  

28 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

"I wonder if the Antonio Williams call up means they aren't happy with Singletary or Moss and want to see what Williams can do. "

That’s straight up nuts. Both backs have been productive most of the year, and good blockers in the passing game when called upon. Playing out their roles exactly how the team appears to want them to. When they’ve struggled to run this season it’s been because d lineman are 2 yards deep in our backfield

I am not as high on our two backs as you. They have the burst of a wet balloon, but Williams is only being called up because they want to use a guy who won't be called on in the playoffs. They knew who Singletary and Moss were when they drafted them, the Bills are content with what they have there even if I am not.

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I can't keep all the scenarios straight, but if the Dolphins lose tomorrow, are they out of the playoffs? 

Only if the other teams (Browns, Ravens and Colts) win.

Edited by Doc

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I doubt this team will lose its edge after 1 week 

That’s my thought too. No one is ever worried about a team “getting rusty” during bye weeks. Why would they suddenly “get rusty” after the last game of the season?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not as high on our two backs as you. They have the burst of a wet balloon, but Williams is only being called up because they want to use a guy who won't be called on in the playoffs. They knew who Singletary and Moss were when they drafted them, the Bills are content with what they have there even if I am not.

That’s fair but all I am saying here is they give us all we need in this scheme which is built Around our qb spreading the ball around 35-40 times per game in most cases. They don’t hurt our cap a bit either and in the big picture that is going to be huge. They are both plenty productive

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I wonder if the Antonio Williams call up means they aren't happy with Singletary or Moss and want to see what Williams can do.

I think it means the game plan is to run the ball 45 times tomorrow. 25 times with a RB that won't be on the active playoff roster so Moss and Singletary are ready to go. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The Chefs' starters won't have played for 3 weeks when they play their first pre-season game.

They better be prepared. This could bite them with how they’ve been playing lately. Last year they were down 24-0 to the Texans until they woke up and came back.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/01/bills-josh-allen-reportedly-to-play-vs-dolphins-make-one-last-mvp-stand.html

By Matt Parrino | mparrino@nyup.com

Intrigue has built throughout the week around Sean McDermott’s plans regarding playing time for his Buffalo Bills in the season finale against the Miami Dolphins.

Apparently the plan is to play “many key guys,” including quarterback Josh Allen.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported on Saturday that the Bills “might rest a few but belief is many key guys will go -- (Bills) can land 2 seed, w/ Josh Allen’s one last MVP stand,” Fowler tweeted.

33 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/01/bills-josh-allen-reportedly-to-play-vs-dolphins-make-one-last-mvp-stand.html

By Matt Parrino | mparrino@nyup.com

Intrigue has built throughout the week around Sean McDermott’s plans regarding playing time for his Buffalo Bills in the season finale against the Miami Dolphins.

Apparently the plan is to play “many key guys,” including quarterback Josh Allen.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported on Saturday that the Bills “might rest a few but belief is many key guys will go -- (Bills) can land 2 seed, w/ Josh Allen’s one last MVP stand,” Fowler tweeted.

Yea... Reports last year against the jets were that starters were playing. Players themselves didn't even know what the plan was regarding there playing time. 

Starters did play.... And gut pulled after the first series. 

This report means nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Last year week 17, the Bills defense had so much depth that we throttled the Jets starters for 3 quarters despite Bills offense giving away a fumble and a pick in the 3rd.  It wasn't until the 4th Q (and I think we were playing Isaiah McKenzie at CB by then) that they managed a TD then a 2nd FG off a 2nd Barkley pick.  Now the Jets did not have an explosive offense last season, but they were a 7-9 team with a mid-level D.

I'm not sure we're there this year on D, but I'm also not hella-impressed with the Tua-led Dolphins offense - maybe I'm wrong and I should be.

I watched that Raiders game with the fish and was not impressed.

You stop Myles Gaskin and Gesicki and that was most of their offense. Tua stares down receivers, holds the ball too long, and lacks pocket presence. The Fish were bad picking up short yardage too. Their defense did well, but the Raiders were 0 for 9 on 3rd down conversions at one point and they had the ball in the red zone multiple times and only managed field goals. Carr looked like a statue. 

I don't see us not punching in those opportunities in the red zone. Normally, I would say we would roll these guys, but it all depends who we suit up to play.

Edited by WideNine

7 minutes ago, WideNine said:

You stop Myles Garrett and Gesicki and that was most of their offense. Tua stares down receivers, holds the ball too long, and lacks pocket presence. The Fish were bad picking up short yardage too. Their defense did well, but the Raiders were 0 for 9 on 3rd down conversions at one point and they had the ball in the red zone multiple times and only managed field goals. Carr looked like a statue. 

I don't see us not punching in those opportunities in the red zone. Normally, I would say we would roll these guys, but it all depends who we suit up to play.

Come again?

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

You stop Myles Garrett and Gesicki and that was most of their offense. Tua stares down receivers, holds the ball too long, and lacks pocket presence. The Fish were bad picking up short yardage too. Their defense did well, but the Raiders were 0 for 9 on 3rd down conversions at one point and they had the ball in the red zone multiple times and only managed field goals. Carr looked like a statue. 

So I went looking for Tua's charts on the Next Gen stats.  Here they are:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/tua-tagovailoa/TAG620344/season

I thought it was interesting.

28 minutes ago, Process said:

Yea... Reports last year against the jets were that starters were playing. Players themselves didn't even know what the plan was regarding there playing time. 

Starters did play.... And gut pulled after the first series. 

This report means nothing. 

Not quite.  A number of players were told they would be out well before the game.  I don't remember them all but they included Beasley, Brown, Knox, Motor on offense; Tre' White and Shaq Lawson on D (I think a couple others but not sure), and Andre Roberts on ST.  Then there was another handful of starters who were told they would play but not for how long, but they made it clear they'd been told "when it's time to sit, you sit"

Quite a bit closer to the vest and less information this year.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I went looking for Tua's charts on the Next Gen stats.  Here they are:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/tua-tagovailoa/TAG620344/season

I thought it was interesting.

Dinking and dunking mainly.

Looks like the kind of single-read offense Gailey would put together for a rookie QB to simplify the playbook. Way early to write-off Tua, but regarding that 2019 class, he is no where near Herbert's league reading coverage's, going through receiver progressions, and delivering to different spots on the field.

Miami is averaging about 30 rush attempts per game the past 3 games. With no Fitz on the bench to fall back to, I would expect a game plan from them to keep Tua clean and the Bills offense off the field, so expect Miami to run, and run, and run some more.

30 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Dinking and dunking mainly.

Looks like the kind of single-read offense Gailey would put together for a rookie QB to simplify the playbook. Way early to write-off Tua, but regarding that 2019 class, he is no where near Herbert's league reading coverage's, going through receiver progressions, and delivering to different spots on the field.

Miami is averaging about 30 rush attempts per game the past 3 games. With no Fitz on the bench to fall back to, I would expect a game plan from them to keep Tua clean and the Bills offense off the field, so expect Miami to run, and run, and run some more.

I didn't see this linked here.  One Bills Live segment where Tasker and Brown are joined by NFL analyst Greg Cosell, who Knows His Football.

Go to 12:20 in to get to Cosell and skip all the Tasker/Brown fluff.

Cosell is kinda blunt about Tua.   Says he has to play like Drew Brees and become conceptually elite to become a successful NFL QB, because right now physically he has no elite skills; refers to Tua's multiple serious injuries (I did not realize he'd had ankle injuries in addition to his hip) and says he is not throwing the football as well or with as much velocity as he did at Alabama.   Hopefully (from the viewpoint of Tua seems like a good kid who got a tough deal) Tua can continue to rehab off season and get that back.

Anyway apparently they were doing a pre-game show about the Bills and Allen, so look out for that - but Cosell apparently called Brown to find out from an Insider who was playing and for how long and went away hungry, because Brown couldn't tell him a thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

refers to Tua's multiple serious injuries (I did not realize he'd had ankle injuries in addition to his hip) and says he is not throwing the football as well or with as much velocity as he did at Alabama.

He's more machine now than man… on Make a GIF

I just remember seeing a similar clip to this during one of the Championship games or something talking about his ankle surgery.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sal shares my curiousity about the lack of Webb:

It will be interesting to see who is declared inactive

I mean they had Barkley play when they rested starters last year I don't see why they wouldn't this one.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't see this linked here.  One Bills Live segment where Tasker and Brown are joined by NFL analyst Greg Cosell, who Knows His Football.

Cosell is kinda blunt about Tua.   Says he has to play like Drew Brees and become conceptually elite to become a successful NFL QB, because right now physically he has no elite skills; refers to Tua's multiple serious injuries (I did not realize he'd had ankle injuries in addition to his hip) and says he is not throwing the football as well or with as much velocity as he did at Alabama.   Hopefully (from the viewpoint of Tua seems like a good kid who got a tough deal) Tua can continue to rehab off season and get that back.

Anyway apparently they were doing a pre-game show about the Bills and Allen, so look out for that - but Cosell apparently called Brown to find out from an Insider who was playing and for how long and went away hungry, because Brown couldn't tell him a thing.

Chris Simms had the same opinion about Tua before the draft...had him ranked below Love.  The guy looks like a very low ceiling player. I cannot for the life of me understand why the Fins did not take Justin Herbert.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Love that Cosel loves Matt Milano! I found myself staunchly defending and arguing here for him early in his rookie season. Loved him from his very 1st game -picking off deep sideline passes to preserve wins. His health history has been challenging, but we HAVE to give him a 2nd contract! He’s a difference maker.

I say sit Tre White the entire game and start Dane Jackson there. 27/58 make this defense go. They need to be 100% healthy for the post season. As for Dane, I really like the way that kid has played. Throw him right in the fire. The Dolphins need this game. We can learn a lot about Dane today. If he impresses, get him active in the playoffs. This kid has looked like our second best corner (albeit) in a small sample size. Give him one last audition against a team that is desperate. We also might play these guys again, so get him some reps.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Wade is making perhaps 1/10 of what he made as a professional rugby player.  Practice squad guys don't even make 100k per year and he was a star in rugby. 

Seems crazy that he would take huge pay cut to just practice. 

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sal shares my curiousity about the lack of Webb:

It will be interesting to see who is declared inactive

I'm not too surprised.  Webb has been in the league for 4 years now and never seen real game action.  I think he's more of a coach than a player.

7 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean they had Barkley play when they rested starters last year I don't see why they wouldn't this one.

Probably because he's an UFA at the end of the year and they want to see what they have in Fromm.  What better way than a meaningless game for the Bills where the other team is really trying?  It might be unfair for Fromm because he'll be playing with the backups but again, life's not fair and he'll have made over $900K this year.

6 hours ago, Big C said:

My hope is that Allen puts a little more film on tape to help his MVP case and ultimately we watch a second half where Barkley and Antonio Williams grind it out.

Rodgers will be playing all game long and likely do very well.  I'll just be happy to see Josh get his 40 yards, all to Diggs, so they can both reach milestones.

52 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I say sit Tre White the entire game and start Dane Jackson there. 27/58 make this defense go. They need to be 100% healthy for the post season. As for Dane, I really like the way that kid has played. Throw him right in the fire. The Dolphins need this game. We can learn a lot about Dane today. If he impresses, get him active in the playoffs. This kid has looked like our second best corner (albeit) in a small sample size. Give him one last audition against a team that is desperate. We also might play these guys again, so get him some reps.

Why hasn't Jackson been elevated fully yet?  Because he's a rookie?