Looks like we're shorthanded tomorrow - Covid-19

QB Bills

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The thing is, Logic, we all know that if the Bills lose this is 2-3 more weeks of “see, the Bills aren’t that good.”, and “Josh Allen, what has he done? Couldn’t even beat the Cards, but Tua could!”

I’m just truly not in the mood anymore for all of THAT garbage.

This is sad to read. In a comical way.

• Like (+1) 1

It was gonna happen at some point.  It's tough, but the teams that prevail this year are the teams that can adjust on the fly and have depth.

The offense is clicking on all cylinders - if they can light it up like they did last week, the Bills can win.

It seems the Norman pick up has been unfortunately awful. Not only has he been poor in coverage but he can't stay on the field and now has contracted Covid. I don't want to kick him when he's down, but if he has disregarded protocol, jeopardizing the outstanding performance of this team, he should be ashamed 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

So it’s his fault?

They are upset, first thing to do is find someone to blame. Eventually they realize it’s just an unfortunate occurrence and blaming is a waste of energy. 
I am upset too, I wanted to see all our guys back. I will choose to look at the positives like seeing how some new or young guys look. 

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I read somewhere that a practice squad player can only play in 2 games and if they want him in more, he has to be signed to the active roster.  If that's true then in order for Jackson to play, they're going to have to sign him.  The Bills have an open roster spot. 

I believe we get an exemption for having players on the covid list that give us an extra call-up

19 minutes ago, mannc said:

So it’s his fault?

We have no information on this point. 

All the players have close contacts outside the team.  Some have families.  Many have private assistants coming into their homes on a regular basis for massage, cupping, deep acupuncture, pilates, personal chefs, housekeeping.  Some are out getting haircuts and mani and pedicures.  Some are going out to restaurants and bars hopefully in compliance with NFL, team, and local regulations.  Some are having small gatherings at their houses.

I'll just say this: if the players with personal assistants/in home services request that both parties wear masks through the whole time and stay as distant as possible, they're doing what they can.  Ditto for gatherings/restaurants - wear a mask except when you are actually actively eating or drinking.

If they aren't, then they could do more.

• Like (+1) 1

So the Bills will be down 2 back ups and a starting CB who gives up a lot of catches-are they really “short handed?” Not to say they won’t be missed or needed, but reading through the comments you would think we would be down 5 starters on each side of the ball. Let’s not forget that if you look at the Cardinals injury report it certainly looks like they are going to be down several players (or will be playing at far less than 100%) themselves. This game was always going to be a shootout and the Bills still have all of their top guys for the game 

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe we get an exemption for having players on the covid list that give us an extra call-up

Correct,  CB Dane Jackson, WR Jake Kumerow, LB Darron Lee, and S Josh Thomas are replacements for the four players placed on Reserve/Covid. Those do not count against PS elevations. Daryl Worley was a practice squad elevation, his first of two free call-ups

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Wow that is bad news. Thank goodness White somehow avoided being a close contact. Weirdly enough the biggest loss to me is Tyler Kroft. I think Dane Jackson can step in and hold down the #2 spot but the depth there is definitely worrying this week. Offense will need to pick up the slack.

I believe Wallace will sting as well.  He is the second best corner we have.

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I believe Wallace will sting as well.  He is the second best corner we have.

I'm crossing everything I got to cross that Hyde is OK and can go, because otherwise we're down to our 3rd string at safety (even though Jaquon Johnson is listed as Hyde's backup, it was Marlowe who got the call when Hyde missed the game with concussion)

We're effectively down to our 3rd string corner.  The depth chart shows Norman followed by Wallace.  I see it as the other way around, but either way..

4 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Love Dane - the prospect of him needing to cover any one or more of Hopkins/Kirk on the outside gives me concern though. Almost as much as Taron covering Fitz out of the slot - Larry will likely take him to school on every third down.  

I was worried about this too Larry and taron ouch I can see fitz having a huge day. We just need a bigger day from our O 

33 minutes ago, 97bills said:

I was worried about this too Larry and taron ouch I can see fitz having a huge day. We just need a bigger day from our O 

Sounds obvious, but our best bet is to keep it at 3rd and long as much as possible to help Taron in coverage. If he's going to be expected to come up on Murray runs/scrambles and cover Fitz we'll be diced on key conversion downs. It'll be interesting to see how they line up in that regard - and how much free man they give our LBs.

4 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Definitely sucks. The only real big loss is Wallace. Kroft is our best TE and I like the look when Lee is there. Marlowe is important if Hyde is out but he’s not even a starter. Norman has been a complete waste. It definitely sucks. Could be worse, still have to find a way to win. I really like what I saw from Dane. I have secretly wanted to see him get a bigger shot. Certainly didn’t want it to be at the cost of Wallace but it is what it is. Step up and show what you have again. He was very solid against the Jets. 

I also felt Dane Jackson was good against the Jets. Would like to see him more. 

26 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The Bills will have something to rally around this week. should be ok and the situation will give other guys the opportunity to step up and impress.  

I hope you are right!

Just now, billsherd said:

I also felt Dane Jackson was good against the Jets. Would like to see him more. 

It is my fervent hope that after tomorrow, you don't find yourself wanting to see him less

6 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

Kroft is a solid blocker from the position. Hoping Knox can step up big time tomorrow. Dane should be OK as CB#2 I hope as long as White is glued to Hopkins all day. Either way losing the secondary depth can always hurt big time if people fall or get injured in game. 

Fingers crossed....

Last week we scored 44 points and the TE's were targeted 2 times was it?  They like going with 4 WR so the TE isn't such a big deal.  Teams have a harder time matching up against our 4 WR's than they would going with 3 and TE.  Personally of the 4 I'm most worried about Marlowe

• Like (+1) 1

Blaming people for catching a highly contagious virus seems a bit...s#!!ty.

Sure, if Norman didn't follow protocols, then he's a bit of a jerk for shorthanding his team like this (and for putting others at risk).

But even those who do follow protocols get infected. 

So let's just stop judging players for getting sick and get back to hating them for getting HURT...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

Blaming people for catching a highly contagious virus seems a bit...s#!!ty.

Sure, if Norman didn't follow protocols, then he's a bit of a jerk for shorthanding his team like this (and for putting others at risk).

But even those who do follow protocols get infected. 

Correct on blame being inappropriate and that players who follow protocols can still be infected.   I think Von Miller said he wasn't going out etc but acknowledged he had people coming into his house.  A lot of these guys have personal chefs or shoppers, as well as therapists providing various treatment they think will help them, beyond what the team provides.  They're doing all that to try to make themselves better players and teammates.

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

So let's just stop judging players for getting sick and get back to hating them for getting HURT...

Ugh!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Last week we scored 44 points and the TE's were targeted 2 times was it?  They like going with 4 WR so the TE isn't such a big deal.  Teams have a harder time matching up against our 4 WR's than they would going with 3 and TE.  Personally of the 4 I'm most worried about Marlowe

Ed, we only run a 1-0 (4 WR set) 18% of the time - which is still among the highest in the league.

Most of our snaps, 74%, are a 1-1 set (1 WR, 1 TE), and Daboll does a lot of stuff with a TE beside target them in the passing game. 

About 5% of our snaps are 2 or 3 TE.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ed, we only run a 4 WR set 18% of the time - which is still among the highest in the league.

Most of our snaps are a 1-1 set, and Daboll does a lot of stuff with a TE beside target them in the passing game. 

About 5% of our snaps are 2 or 3 TE

Maybe we run it more than 18% this week.  While I didn't state this in my post, I don't think the drop off between knox and Kroft is much if anything.  While Knox hasn't done much of anything this season, he's still a big legit target that defenses can't just ignore.   Sending out Lee Smith 15 times on pass plays and the defense may just ignore him, don't think you can do that with Knox.  Agree we may be more limited in two TE set but Gilliam does have is it two TD's?

17 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Maybe we run it more than 18% this week.  While I didn't state this in my post, I don't think the drop off between knox and Kroft is much if anything.  While Knox hasn't done much of anything this season, he's still a big legit target that defenses can't just ignore.   Sending out Lee Smith 15 times on pass plays and the defense may just ignore him, don't think you can do that with Knox.  Agree we may be more limited in two TE set but Gilliam does have is it two TD's?

Gilliam just one TD.

Heh.  Well, Lee Smith does have a TD this year (against the Rams), so if the defense wishes to ignore him... that could be their problem.  You are correct that Knox has enough on tape that the defense can't simply ignore him.  Kroft doesn't get that many more targets (just under 2 per game vs. 2.4 per game for Knox) but he does catch more of what is thrown his way, 75%

My worry is more about blocking.  Kroft is not an elite blocker, but he gets the job done more often than not.  Knox is inconsistent.  He might level the guy, he might get flicked out of the way like excess hand sanitizer and let Josh get leveled.

Anyway It Is what It Is, so hope for the best from Dawson.  I would love to see him become a star.

• Like (+1) 1