Matt Hasselbeck on QB “intangibles” and Josh...

eball

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

Josh Allen is going to be better than Jim Kelly when it’s all said and done. 

I watched them both, every game, and I think he has a real chance to be better. Not willing to say it definitevly, because of the resume Jim has. But, I suspect Jim knows himself how great Josh can be if he stays healthy and continues to improve.

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree and I think the same about some have it and some don’t. Burrow has it. Darnold doesn’t. I’ve said that since he was at USC. I don’t think Herbert does. Still think he’s very good but I don’t see it. 

I think the Chargers are cursed. Over the past 4 or 5 years that team has pulled defeat from the jaws of victory in ways even the Bills could never accomplish during their almost 2 decades of futility...it has continued this year...they are always seemingly in a place to pull out a win but rarely seem to do so. Doesn't matter who the coach is, the QB, the OC, the offensive players, etc...they still find mind boggling ways to lose every week.

Edited by matter2003
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree and I think the same about some have it and some don’t. Burrow has it. Darnold doesn’t. I’ve said that since he was at USC. I don’t think Herbert does. Still think he’s very good but I don’t see it. 

I feel like I remember a quote from Jordan Palmer related to the differences between Darnold and Allen.  Not sure if it was him or not but assuming based on him coaching with both of them.  Something about the way the Darnold would do a rep and get it right once or twice and be done.  Allen would do the drill for an hour or two after he got it right to make sure it was engrained in him.

I know that's not an intangible but just shows his willingness to make sure he's not just learning what he needs to do but perfecting it.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Oh boy we're crowning Josh Allen again. Can't the man play a good game without crowning him? 

We all know what happens now. He lays an egg in Arizona. 

what's it like to live like this?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I think the Chargers are cursed. Over the past 4 or 5 years that team has pulled defeat from the jaws of victory in ways even the Bills could never accomplish during their almost 2 decades of futility...it has continued this year...they are always seemingly in a place to pull out a win but rarely seem to do so. Doesn't matter who the coach is, the QB, the OC, the offensive players, etc...they still find mind boggling ways to lose every week.

Lets hope they are not close enough to give us all a heart attack Nov 29th ;)

• Like (+1) 1

I think all of this is pretty accurate. The one thing I have felt about Josh from pretty early on is...I Know Josh Allen isn’t the actual best qb in the league. There are guys that are technically better and that’s probably not going to change. But Josh Allen just seems like he’s the best qb FOR this team. I don’t know how to really explain it or put it into words. Something about him just fits perfectly with the Bills. The way he plays, the way he acts, maybe even how he looks a little.  The guy just randomly seems to be the absolute perfect fit as qb for the Buffalo Bills. To the point where, I don’t think I would rather have anyone else. This guy really just feels like he’s our guy. I will admit, I didn’t want him draft night and there were times last year when he drove me nuts...but I was absolutely wrong about him and it is literally impossible to not like this guy. He’s just the perfect qb for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Oh boy we're crowning Josh Allen again. Can't the man play a good game without crowning him? 

Awe I'm so sorry that you've been wrong about Josh Allen. No I'm not. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think all of this is pretty accurate. The one thing I have felt about Josh from pretty early on is...I Know Josh Allen isn’t the actual best qb in the league. There are guys that are technically better and that’s probably not going to change. But Josh Allen just seems like he’s the best qb FOR this team. I don’t know how to really explain it or put it into words. Something about him just fits perfectly with the Bills. The way he plays, the way he acts, maybe even how he looks a little.  The guy just randomly seems to be the absolute perfect fit as qb for the Buffalo Bills. To the point where, I don’t think I would rather have anyone else. This guy really just feels like he’s our guy. I will admit, I didn’t want him draft night and there were times last year when he drove me nuts...but I was absolutely wrong about him and it is literally impossible to not like this guy. He’s just the perfect qb for the Bills.

Hes not yet.   :)

His ceiling is as high as mahomes...he's obviously not there yet but that ceiling is as high as anyone who has ever played the game.   Scary but true.  And based on his work ethic and his improvements year to year he may actually have a chance to find that ceiling. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Or, perhaps it is just possible that the rest of us are seeing the big picture and how he has played at an MVP level for every game this season that he wasn't wearing a shoulder brace because he was playing through a dislocated shoulder for us (and we still went 2-2 in those games).

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 4

He’s changed my mind this year.  I really didn’t think he could take the next step after watching all the terrible decisions last year.  He’s had those intangibles all along and the team obviously loved him, but to see the leap he took this year where it’s all coming together for him, just awesome.  I do think we are looking at a Big Ben type of guy here, first two years, nothing great (Ben was way more conservative), and as they get turned loose they just keep growing.  Also, I don’t think Allen will ever be considered the best in the game, like Ben, but always a guy you would be happy to have and can definitely be a difference maker.  He’s a franchise guy, no doubt.  He’s going to rack up a lot of wins, throw for a lot of yards and leave you saying “wow” a lot, but he’s playing in the Maholmes era, probably never going to get the respect until he wins a title, by beating Maholmes to get there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

Hes not yet.   :)

His ceiling is as high as mahomes...he's obviously not there yet but that ceiling is as high as anyone who has ever played the game.   Scary but true.  And based on his work ethic and his improvements year to year he may actually have a chance to find that ceiling. 

I have no clue what his ceiling might be but that Seattle game showed a pretty damn high ceiling.  I think the thing that will take him to the next level of being a great QB is making his floor higher.  I know ever QB is capable of a stinker and he has raised his floor this year for sure.  Just keep bringing that floor up  and he will be unstoppable.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Man, I bet you're fun at parties

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I have no clue what his ceiling might be but that Seattle game showed a pretty damn high ceiling.  I think the thing that will take him to the next level of being a great QB is making his floor higher.  I know ever QB is capable of a stinker and he has raised his floor this year for sure.  Just keep bringing that floor up  and he will be unstoppable.

Thats a good call.  Floor is now a top 15 QB.  Which is about 15 positions higher than last year. 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You may want to find another message board if posting new quotes and information about the team's starting QB bothers you.  Just sayin'...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Disagree. IMO in a year or two Josh Allen could very well be in the conversation regarding the best QB. He's already one of the most exciting QBs in the league. He absolutely has to continue refining his game but his stunning improvement this year is evidence that he's capable of doing exactly that. He's always reminded me of John Elway. I think he may have a chance to be even better when all is said and done.

• Like (+1) 5

31 minutes ago, eball said:

You may want to find another message board if posting new quotes and information about the team's starting QB bothers you.  Just sayin'...

No issues with the quotes in the article. The comments like he's going to be better than Jim Kelly are just way too early at this point. He's on track to win his 1st division title. Let's get there 1st.

• Like (+1) 1

Kudos to whoever researched Josh Allen for the Bills while he was still at Wyoming, not stopping at the fact he was so raw and had those alleged accuracy issues, and finding the heart that beats inside the guy's chest.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Kudos to whoever researched Josh Allen for the Bills while he was still at Wyoming, not stopping at the fact he was so raw and had those alleged accuracy issues, and finding the heart that beats inside the guy's chest.

Thank goodness the Bills were still only attracted to big strong armed QB's. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

As good as our weapons are, how do we all think Josh Allen would look throwing to Hill, Kelce and company?...  I think he'd look every bit as dynamic as Mahomes.  

Josh Allen's potential is best QB in the NFL.  I'm not saying he's there yet, but there's only a few guys in the NFL that have the talent/intangibles to be the that guy, and Allen is one of them. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I echo this.  To me, he is like Big Ben.  No one will ever confuse Ben of being the best QB in the league.  Sure he has his moments and seasons.  But he is THE best QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers.  He reeks and oozes Pittsburgh.  I was over the moon on draft day when the Bills selected Josh.  I have never waivered.  I can't imagine a better personality fit.  Sure Mahomes in Red, White and Blue might change my mind, but he isn't and wouldn't be "Buffalo".  He would be revered no doubt, but Josh just typifies our built in our own minds idea what to be from Buffalo means.

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No issues with the quotes in the article. The comments like he's going to be better than Jim Kelly are just way too early at this point. He's on track to win his 1st division title. Let's get there 1st.

You are right of course. It's pretty much pointless and downright silly to affirm at this stage of his career that Josh is going to be a HOF QB. On the other hand it would be wrong IMO to simply foreclose on the possibility that he develops into that kind of player. That's what it means in his case to say that the sky is the limit. A lot will depend on how he continues to be handled and the quality of the team around him. So it's not really only all up to him. But much of where his career takes him rests on his shoulders.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think you’ll feel better after your cookie and a nap...

2 hours ago, eball said:

...from the Buffalo News this morning:

"When people talk about quarterbacks, a lot of times they talk about intangibles and you never really know what that means," Hasselbeck said. "I just remember, when I got to Green Bay, Brett Favre was there and Andy Reid was the quarterback coach, and he basically laid out what he thought were the intangibles that Brett brought to the table. And some of those intangibles were the way that his teammates believe in him and rally around him and he sets the tone. The other thing Andy said was, 'Notice how Brett intimidates the opponent without even saying a word. Like when they get their game plan book, what are they saying? They're saying, 'Oh, boy, we got that guy. He can throw it all over the field. You can't rattle this guy. The harder the harder you hit him, the better he plays,' whatever it is that they might say.' Those are intangibles.

"Some quarterbacks will never, ever, ever have those intangibles or certain intangibles. Josh has got them. I don't even know if he knows he's got them, but he's got them. And people fear his arm. They fear his athleticism. They fear his size. And I just know from watching the excitement (he creates for) his teammates. One of the things that Josh's teammates said he was, 'He's a stone-cold dog.' I said on the air, 'This guy's like a cowboy.' And people were like, 'Oh, is that a shout out to Wyoming?' I'm like, 'Yeah, kind of, but I really mean he's like a cowboy.' And it's infectious. Some guys have it, but very few do."

It's kind of interesting, because there are all kinds of ex-NFL players commenting in the league, and you can tell which ones were pretty much students of the game and have stayed students of the game, and which ones were pretty much "Golden Arm" meatheads who are all about the hot take and don't put in the research.

My money says Terry Bradshaw never gets those 4 Superbowl rings without Mike Webster helping him.

56 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The thing is, you gotta know Josh would 100% agree with you and so would his teammates. And that's important.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The thing about Josh Allen is...you can write any narrative you like.

He will re-write it.

It wouldn't surprise me too much if the Bills as a whole suffer a bit of a let-down game.  But if they do, it's likely to be a whole team and coaching effort and not just on Josh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Agreed.  I think the Seattle game showed us that his floor is being raised week to week.  He took a lot of sacks on Sunday.  In the past, he would do everything in his power to NOT take those sacks, usually leading to a fumble or an interception.  Now he seems to live to see another play.  Most of his sacks last week, he covered up and fell forward.  His poor judgement was a big contributor to his lower floor in the past.  He’s changing that.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

i want to hear a matt hasselbeck good guy story.

Me too 😁👍