Is Tua hype the new Darnold hype?

whatdrought

I don't understand why some folks obsess over the national media so much.  Allen has gotten a ton of positive press this year and now Tua is because it was bold and controversial for Flores to pull Fitz and so far they're 2-0.

Here's the thing - now that we have a great QB that will perennially make us a playoff team, we should WANT Tua to be great.  Screw sneaking into the playoffs because the rest of the AFC is bad too.  Give me a bitter rivalry.  I want to watch legendary matchups between Allen and Tua, Allen and Herbert, Allen and Lamar, Allen and Mahomes.  Let the Pats and Jets be the dullards of the division.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

It’s not about not enjoying the game... but seeing the media’s reaction to the game is part of that. 

tell me Darnold wasn’t artificially propped up by the media the past few years while Allen has to work twice as hard to get respect?

I don't recall anyone gushing over Darnold's play.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I don't recall anyone gushing over Darnold's play.

Darnold always looks like the game is happening a little too fast for him...Tua didn't appear that way yesterday but it could be defenses havent figured out his tendencies yet...theres this conception that Tua is going to get better and better every week and will be at his peak when we see him late in the season but thats not really how it works

Drought, I wouldn’t be concerned about it.  Who cares what the media says on their non stop shows making bad calls.  It’s why I’m selective to who I trust.  I’ll listen to different shows and like Movin the chains the most of all venues although press coverage on NFL radio is also very good, but even they get it wrong from time to time.  

Drought, we win against the Cards and they can’t not call us a great team with Allen at the helm at 8-2.  People went nuts over Deshaun Watson and most is not his fault at all, but look how they are playing now as a team, not him.

He is incredibly accurate.   It's uncanny.

But he's also small and gets injured a lot..........he had one joint injury after the next at Alabama.......knee and ankles before the hip blowout....... despite playing behind a great OL with an all-time receiving corps.

Teams are going to try to smash that dude and see if he holds up.

My hope is this:

He does well enough that the Dolphins expend all of their picks on peripheral positions.......skipping over other talented young QB's.......and then he just never turns into an elite QB and they are left holding their collective ***** like the Jacksonville Jags were when Bortles crapped out.

But if he stays healthy he is a fine passer.

10 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I don't understand why some folks obsess over the national media so much.  Allen has gotten a ton of positive press this year and now Tua is because it was bold and controversial for Flores to pull Fitz and so far they're 2-0.

Here's the thing - now that we have a great QB that will perennially make us a playoff team, we should WANT Tua to be great.  Screw sneaking into the playoffs because the rest of the AFC is bad too.  Give me a bitter rivalry.  I want to watch legendary matchups between Allen and Tua, Allen and Herbert, Allen and Lamar, Allen and Mahomes.  Let the Pats and Jets be the dullards of the division.

On Sportscenter on Sunday they started with showing two or three bad throws that Mahomes made in the first quarter and then showing how  good he was the rest of the game.  If they did this with Allen half the board would be up in arms about why the media is blatantly hates the Bills.

22 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I don’t see what’s special about the kid. I think he has a similar ceiling to tannehil. He doesn’t scare me at all. 

As mentioned before he's very accurate and processes what's in front of him quickly.

But also like mentioned before he's smaller than the "prototypical" QB. Not an issue if you have the skill set but if you have a history of injuries it may present a problem.

Tua will be a premier qb in this league for the next 15 years unless he's hampered by injuries.  I was enamored with his skill set in college and knew he'd be terrific no matter where he went.  He's a left handed more mobile Drew Brees with that pinpoint accuracy.  He's a better talent than Burrow and Herbert as good as they've been.  The comparisons to Darnold are insulting.

This is overreaction time again.  It is just far too early to make any decisions on Tua.  He’s had injuries, but so did Drew Brees.  He’s only 6 foot tall, but so is Mayfield, Wilson, and Brees.  He’s only played in two games in the NFL.  He was excellent when playing at Alabama, but then again a number of QB’s from Alabama never made it in the NFL.

My point is simply Allen was prejudged before the draft, his first year, second year, and even this year when the team fell back after KC. The kid has played two games, and I don’t see making many judgements until he’s finished the end of next year.  Then if not hurt will have played 24 games and it will be easier to make some assertions about him.  Heck he could get hurt and get knocked out of for several games maybe even more than once, or he could okay lights out for 24 games.

Level headed Dolphins fan here. This thread was mentioned on a board so I just came to give my $.02. Since the Tua pick I have not been sold (Wanted Lawrence and thought we tanked at the wrong time). Im simply not sold on his size. I will say in 2 games he has been very efficient and did what it took to win the given game. He is 100% all TDs in the red zone in 2 games which is impressive. His accuracy is what is starting to sway me his way, there is no doubt the kid can play in this league.

Now for the real reason I came here, Allen. I really think you guys are selling him short with the media. I live in the Pittsburgh area and hear nothing but good things about him. To me it seems the media acknowledges he is quickly becoming the best of that draft class. The one thing I will say is when I see highlights it is usually of him running, but other than that people realize you have a good one there.

Here is to hoping for some meaningful games between us, possibly even starting this year. See you guys week 17, and good luck up through week 16 lol.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Swarm! Swarm! Swarm!

https://finheaven.com/threads/bills-fans-are-so-delusional.362804/

Kinda funny (and relatable) to read through this though.  A lot of them praising Tua as I'd he's the Second Coming after 2 games.  He might end up being a terrific QB, but pump the breaks for crying out loud. How many times were we duped by a fast starting QB (EJ, Fitz, Trent 2008, Tyrod...). 

A lot of the same Josh Allen narrative too, that he's inaccurate, makes awful decisions, etc.  That coming from Dana of a team that has basically been steamrolled by Josh.  Only loss was the Clay drop in the endzone (glad he's gone!)

I think Miami is a team on the rise but there is a good chance they come back to earth a little bit this year.  We likely win the division 95/100 times, but they may sneak in as a WC.  Next year they could be very scary.  Keep in mind, they have a bunch of Texan picks (I think a 1st and a 2nd) and should make noise in the draft.  We will be picking at #32 so.....

Ok maybe bills fans are delusion lol!

Edited by saundena

On 11/9/2020 at 8:00 AM, Maybe Someday said:

It’s expected. Which media markets does the nfl care more about - Miami, New York City or Buffalo?

Id rather we stay under the radar.

This.

Any time a new QB comes in, he always has the advantage the first couple of games because there's no tape on him.  He's a blank slate as far as tendencies, "tells", cadence - everything.  If the QB has any talent around him, and within him, he can really exploit that.

Tua has talent, the Miami team has talent, and Flores is a good coach.

By the time we play Miami, there will be plenty of film on Tua, then we'll see.

On 11/10/2020 at 4:47 AM, HOUSE said:

These smaller running QBs will never last in the NFL. Enjoy while you can

Pfui, all he needs to do is set aside $1M of his salary.  Couple of hyperbaric chambers, full time trainer, staff of two chefs - Tua will be fine.

23 minutes ago, saundena said:

Swarm! Swarm! Swarm!

https://finheaven.com/threads/bills-fans-are-so-delusional.362804/

Kinda funny (and relatable) to read through this though.  A lot of them praising Tua as I'd he's the Second Coming after 2 games.  He might end up being a terrific QB, but pump the breaks for crying out loud. How many times were we duped by a fast starting QB (EJ, Fitz, Trent 2008, Tyrod...). 

A lot of the same Josh Allen narrative too, that he's inaccurate, makes awful decisions, etc.  That coming from Dana of a team that has basically been steamrolled by Josh.  Only loss was the Clay drop in the endzone (glad he's gone!)

I think Miami is a team on the rise but there is a good chance they come back to earth a little bit this year.  We likely win the division 95/100 times, but they may sneak in as a WC.  Next year they could be very scary.  Keep in mind, they have a bunch of Texan picks (I think a 1st and a 2nd) and should make noise in the draft.  We will be picking at #32 so.....

Ok maybe bills fans are delusion lol!

It's very simple.  At 7-2, the Bills are in the drivers seat and can win the division if we "take care of business".   

But nothing is given, everything is earned, and if we don't take care of business, the Dolphins will be right there.

With or without Tua, the Dolphins have a top-5 defense on PPG (it's 22 on YPG, lower than the Bills; the difference is turnovers) and an excellent ST unit.  They are a well-coached team.

On 11/10/2020 at 1:29 PM, ButchFragrance said:

Level headed Dolphins fan here. This thread was mentioned on a board so I just came to give my $.02. Since the Tua pick I have not been sold (Wanted Lawrence and thought we tanked at the wrong time). Im simply not sold on his size. I will say in 2 games he has been very efficient and did what it took to win the given game. He is 100% all TDs in the red zone in 2 games which is impressive. His accuracy is what is starting to sway me his way, there is no doubt the kid can play in this league.

Now for the real reason I came here, Allen. I really think you guys are selling him short with the media. I live in the Pittsburgh area and hear nothing but good things about him. To me it seems the media acknowledges he is quickly becoming the best of that draft class. The one thing I will say is when I see highlights it is usually of him running, but other than that people realize you have a good one there.

Here is to hoping for some meaningful games between us, possibly even starting this year. See you guys week 17, and good luck up through week 16 lol.

Hi!  First off good luck to Tua and the Fins (as long as they aren't playing us) and thanks for the level headed post.

I thought Tua had a good 2nd game.  The Cards defense is a bit of an enigma to me.  I guess we'll find out what they're all about this weekend.

I'm not sure we're selling Allen's media coverage short.  It might be a case of us being sensitized as fans because he's Our Guy, but here you got a guy who was visibly injured against the Raiders and came out to play the Titans visibly wearing a linebacker harness on his L arm, and it's al "Oh, he's regressing, he's inaccurate".  Terry Bradshaw saying gleefully and dismissively on National TV "he'll never be anything but a 50% completion guy".  It's the way the announcers still cover him - when it's another QB overthrowing his guy, the receiver "couldn't get to it", when it's Allen "he missed".

FWIW it's starting to audibly piss off Chris Simms, so I don't think it's just us.

I get it that there's that narrative, "he's inaccurate" "parody of a first round pick" etc etc etc.  and it will take time and consistency on Allen's part game after game to sink it but it's still annoying.  (The best of that draft class seems like way too low a bar, at present).

Anyway, I got my "Buffalo vs. Everybody" hoodie, and if the media overlooks us, I'm personally just fine with that.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
Correct name
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hi!  First off good luck to Tua and the Fins (as long as they aren't playing us) and thanks for the level headed post.

I thought Tua had a good 2nd game.  The Cards defense is a bit of an enigma to me.  I guess we'll find out what they're all about this weekend.

I'm not sure we're selling Allen's media coverage short.  It might be a case of us being sensitized as fans because he's Our Guy, but here you got a guy who was visibly injured against the Raiders and came out to play the Titans visibly wearing a linebacker harness on his L arm, and it's al "Oh, he's regressing, he's inaccurate".  Terry Bradshaw saying gleefully and dismissively on National TV "he'll never be anything but a 50% completion guy".  It's the way the announcers still cover him - when it's another QB overthrowing his guy, the receiver "couldn't get to it", when it's Allen "he missed".

FWIW it's starting to audibly piss off Chris Simms, so I don't think it's just us.

I get it that there's that narrative, "he's inaccurate" "parody of a first round pick" etc etc etc.  and it will take time and consistency on Allen's part game after game to sink it but it's still annoying.  (The best of that draft class seems like way too low a bar, at present).

Anyway, I got my "Buffalo vs. Everybody" hoodie, and if the media overlooks us, I'm personally just fine with that.

Also i've seen more than one rant this year from his boy, Chris, where he goes off on how he cant stand how well known media members basically just lurk and wait for Allen to have bad games and then say "i told you so". Earlier in the year he said he's never seen it play out like this for any other good young qb and he doesnt understand it at all.

20 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Also i've seen more than one rant this year from his boy, Chris, where he goes off on how he cant stand how well known media members basically just lurk and wait for Allen to have bad games and then say "i told you so". Earlier in the year he said he's never seen it play out like this for any other good young qb and he doesnt understand it at all.

That's actually who I meant, Chris not Phil.  Sorry!

On 11/10/2020 at 3:55 AM, Billy Claude said:

On Sportscenter on Sunday they started with showing two or three bad throws that Mahomes made in the first quarter and then showing how  good he was the rest of the game.  If they did this with Allen half the board would be up in arms about why the media is blatantly hates the Bills.

The other half would be talking about why Allen only gets a C+ this week because of the few mistakes he made in the first half. 

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

People hate being wrong. Baker Mayfield has been all over the place. Lamar Jackson was at the tail end of what was supposed to be this great draft class at the QB position. Jackson ends up exceling the fastest. The dark horse Allen nobody seen coming with the glaring red flag concerning his completion percentage is now rounding the corner with a full head of steam in hot pursuit of Jackson.

Everyone gets their collective butts hurt because they were all so wrong...  

Edited by Figster

I actually heard this morning while discussing the Bills, something to the effect of

"They did beat Miami but that was pre-Tua"

I don't know but I think a Fitz lead Miami is a better team RIGHT NOW than a Tua led one.

It just struck me as really odd sounding...

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think many of the negative voices in national are failed QBs who wanted to be Josh but were not Josh.  They were great and deserved to be a Pro QB. The fact that Josh is that QB rubs them raw so they put him down to feel better about themselves.

Bruce G on NFL network is one of these guys.  

Tua is in a situation 100X better then Darnold was or ever will be with the Jets.

The Dolphins as an organization should concern us for the next few years.

Coach who is blossoming into one of the better ones,another strong draft in 2021 on the horizon, desirable place to play, lower taxes then Buffalo.

I think the Tua hype is a representation of all that we are seeing in Miami: Miami actually for once, has a blueprint for success.

Edited by Like A Mofo
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

I actually heard this morning while discussing the Bills, something to the effect of

"They did beat Miami but that was pre-Tua"

I don't know but I think a Fitz lead Miami is a better team RIGHT NOW than a Tua led one.

It just struck me as really odd sounding...

It depends on how you look at it IMO. Fitz is now the mentor to a very talented young signal caller that he can mold. Chan Gailey is great at getting the most from his players. To me the more accurate Tua becomes an extension of Fitzpatrick on the football field.

The best of both worlds...

6 minutes ago, Figster said:

It depends on how you look at it IMO. Fitz is now the mentor to a very talented young signal caller that he can mold. Chan Gailey is great at getting the most from his players. To me the more accurate Tua becomes an extension of Fitzpatrick on the football field.

The best of both worlds...

Ok I agree with this.  In the long run, this set up has the potential to be fantastic.

I guess my mind was on the massive Offensive production Fitzy was generating and comparing it to what Tua has generated.

I don't think either of those games would've even been close if Fitz was in.  That's why I was surprised to hear them say it that way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DaggersEOD said:

Ok I agree with this.  In the long run, this set up has the potential to be fantastic.

I guess my mind was on the massive Offensive production Fitzy was generating and comparing it to what Tua has generated.

I don't think either of those games would've even been close if Fitz was in.  That's why I was surprised to hear them say it that way.

Short term Fitzy might be the better QB.

I think the Dolphins needed to see what they have in Tua and this was the best time to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

Was half listening to some talking heads on the radio discussing “elite” QBs.  Mahomes, Wilson, Brady etc    The one guy said “and I think you need to include Tua on that list”.  

After two whole games in the NFL and one of them under 100 yards.   It’s this type babble that is so ridiculous.  Really waters down what being elite means.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Was half listening to some talking heads on the radio discussing “elite” QBs.  Mahomes, Wilson, Brady etc    The one guy said “and I think you need to include Tua on that list”.  

After two whole games in the NFL and one of them under 100 yards.   It’s this type babble that is so ridiculous.  Really waters down what being elite means.  

Lol, probably a bama fan...

On a side note though Tua does resemble a young R W IMO.

Edited by Figster

Darnold is on the verge of being shipped out of NY.  Sorry but SC qbs never succeed. You can't make any assessment on a qb until they've completed 3 full seasons. The Tua / Herbert sample size is still way to small. I think most Bills fans would agree we finally have our franchise QB. Let's see what pans out. Before all his injuries Wentz was annointed the next great qb. Let the player marinate 3 years.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Even if Tua is nothing more than an average QB, the Dolphins should still be a competitive team who will make the playoffs. 

Having the right coaching and system to match a QB's abilities is key. Chan Gailey is probably one of the most versatile coaches in the league IMO. I think Tua gives both Gailey and Fitz allot of positives to pull from IMO. Its going to create a very competitive offense in Miami IMO.  I like it. I think squishing the fish is going to take on a whole new meaning.

I think Allen is in a very good match with the Daboll/O. An onnovative and expanding coaching style that is in sync with the sky being the limits with Josh Allen IMO  Its imperative the Buffalo Bills keep them together IMO. 

In ways I'm disappointed Tom Brady is no longer in the AFC East. The reason I feel this way is because I believe the Buffalo Bills finally have a QB that can compete against the greats IMO. ( and beat them)

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, Like A Mofo said:

Tua is in a situation 100X better then Darnold was or ever will be with the Jets.

Coach who is blossoming into one of the better ones,another strong draft in 2021 on the horizon, desirable place to play, lower taxes then Buffalo.

I think the Tua hype is a representation of all that we are seeing in Miami: Miami actually for once, has a blueprint for success.

We waited 20 years for Brady to leave the division and when we finally have found our franchise QB the dolphins look on the rise and jets will probably draft the best QB prospect of all time 

On 11/9/2020 at 5:46 AM, whatdrought said:

Maybe im a homer, but for two years I have been annoyed by media falling all over Darnold while hating on Allen. If Darnold sucked, it was his surrounding cast taking the blame. If Allen did something wrong it was “well we knew he was inconsistent coming out.”

Well now Darnold is done and Allen is a bonafide star, so you would think the positive energy would go towards Allen... right?

But so far, after yesterday, here’s what I’m seeing:

”Seattle’s defense is so bad and really allowed Allen to work.”

”My god!! Did you see Tua? That was ***** amazing!”

am I imagining this? 

Time will tell with Tua. I do believe that he’s in a better situation than Darnold though. Because he’s in a better situation, he could have the necessary time to grow like JA did.

I said this in another thread but, while first impressions die hard, it’s a sports analyst job to get beyond original narratives and first impressions. It still seems like some have not let go of their initial impression or narrative of Josh. Also, there will always be a few out there that just never like a certain player or team no matter how good they become.

It’s crazy though. As Buffalo Timmy said, the Tua hype is absurd.

Edited by BillsFan619

3 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

Yeah a blueprint that from there own coaching admission they took from us.