Is Tua hype the new Darnold hype?

whatdrought

35 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Maybe im a homer, but for two years I have been annoyed by media falling all over Darnold while hating on Allen. If Darnold sucked, it was his surrounding cast taking the blame. If Allen did something wrong it was “well we knew he was inconsistent coming out.”

Well now Darnold is done and Allen is a bonafide star, so you would think the positive energy would go towards Allen... right?

But so far, after yesterday, here’s what I’m seeing:

”Seattle’s defense is so bad and really allowed Allen to work.”

”My god!! Did you see Tua? That was ***** amazing!”

am I imagining this? 

I think the Bills got a lot of love for their win over the Seahawks the consistent headline I saw was about Allen outdueling Wilson.  Seattle's defense was mentioned a lot as it was a historically bad game for them, but I still think the Bills got credit for executing.

As for Tua, rookies make headlines and bring clicks.  Tua has a huge following from college, so I get it.  However, I'm also not sold on his hype train yet.  From my limited viewership of him, he seems to have a slow release and getting the ball out fast.  I'm surprised he hasn't thrown more picks to defenders just sitting on him.  Once teams have 4-5 games on tape, I'll be very curious to see how he does. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

It’s expected. Which media markets does the nfl care more about - Miami, New York City or Buffalo?

Id rather we stay under the radar. 

To be fair, the Miami fanbase is literal garbage, but I understand your point.

I live in SoFla, these fans are an absolute joke for the most part. 

57 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Maybe im a homer, but for two years I have been annoyed by media falling all over Darnold while hating on Allen. If Darnold sucked, it was his surrounding cast taking the blame. If Allen did something wrong it was “well we knew he was inconsistent coming out.”

Well now Darnold is done and Allen is a bonafide star, so you would think the positive energy would go towards Allen... right?

But so far, after yesterday, here’s what I’m seeing:

”Seattle’s defense is so bad and really allowed Allen to work.”

”My god!! Did you see Tua? That was ***** amazing!”

am I imagining this? 

Yes you are imagining it. All I have read and heard last night and today is praise for Josh Allen.

You have a diagnosed case of BBFS.

• Like (+1) 2

It’s all the media hype machine. Tua had big hype so when he plays well he will be all over the news for now. Add in last week everyone thinking how crazy they were benching Fitz. 
Same for Kyler, he gets a ton of hype and makes some fantastic plays. 
But when they play bad you don’t hear much. It’s the same for Allen, but we’re buffalo fans and see the bad media for him if he doesn’t play great. We don’t see the bad media for overhyped guys because A) there isn’t much from the major news outlets and B) we don’t follow those teams anywhere near as closely. 
The key thing to remember is the national media doesn’t actually pay attention to most of the teams they just bandwagon who is hot at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not too concerned about the media and their expectations or assessments of the Bills or Josh Allen.  With maybe an exception or two every one of them picked the Seahawks to win yesterday.  But the Bills prevailed and Allen had a memorable game.  Maybe a break out game when we look back after the season. 

Tagovailoa was a high first round pick with high expectations.  He played within the system in two starts and yesterday he made a few mistakes (one of them was a terrible interception) but the team was able to overcome them and avoid OT because usually reliable Zane Gonzalez shorted a FG attempt.  Given how the season always goes its certain he'll face some adversity at some point so how he handles it will be telling. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Tua's talent was never really a question imo. You could see the young man could ball at Alabama. He also has that clutch gene about him as well. The question with him has always been his health. We'll see how he holds up. 

• Like (+1) 1

You really see the quality of the player after opposing defenses have a library of film to study. 

That's why you can light up the league freshman year, slump substantially the next.  

By the time the BIlls play the Dolphins again, there will be several games to study.  

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, dpberr said:

You really see the quality of the player after opposing defenses have a library of film to study. 

That's why you can light up the league freshman year, slump substantially the next.  

By the time the BIlls play the Dolphins again, there will be several games to study.  

I.e. Lamar Jackson

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

the new Darnold, the new Mayfield, the new Minschew, the new - Everybody but Josh Allen!!!   

Everybody likes a good underdog and a 6-5 247 lb white QB with a rifle arm and 4.75 speed isn't an underdog by most except when look at his struggles to get a scholarship to a division 1 college.  

• Like (+1) 1

The people that make up the media had their thoughts about Darnold before the draft.  They said he was going to be great.  Same thing for Tua.  Same thing for a Baker. Josh was the worst college qb of all of them....by FAR.  When he entered the draft, he was the guy that everyone had the biggest questions about.  He had the biggest question marks regarding his accuracy.  The media analysts, by most accounts, say either you’re accurate or you’re not.  Very rarely will that change.  Those that said it will never change, are sticking to their guns.  Some admitted defeat when we were 4-0, but many stuck to their narratives as he had a rough 4 game stretch.  He played great vs a historically bad defense....just like every other qb they faced this year.  It allows the haters to stick to their guns yet another week.

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

Tuna was high profile QB coming out of alabsma

Kyler came out of Oklahoma

Darnold was coming from USC

Allen was not on early prospect QB list and went to Wyoming. 

"Tuna"....from Alabsma

This is my new nickname for the rookie, lol.

Thank you

41 minutes ago, TUBSTER said:

It's really easy to win games when your defense/special teams scores 35 points in two games.  It looks like a pretty easy situation for Tua to step into without having to lead too much.

He does show some magic, though. Like Josh did his first year. Gonna take time.

I hope "Tuna" fails though