Is Tua hype the new Darnold hype?

whatdrought

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Also, don’t get me wrong- I’m not saying Tua played poorly. He could be a hall of famer for all I know- too early to say. 

i guess my overall point is this:

The media has QB’s they love, regardless of how they play, and QB’s they are apathetic about, regardless of how they play. 

They loved Rosen pre-draft. They loved Darnold and still refuse to take the L on that. 

I agree with you.  I believe it is too early to tell on Tua.  When I compare the first two games of Justin Herbert to Tua's, there's no contest.  Herbert has displayed a stronger arm, better command of his offence, and a much better ability to run with the ball.  I do think that Tua benefited from playing with superior talent at Alabama and may be over rated as a result.  Time will tell if he ultimately develops into a QB worthy of a top 10 pick (provided he can stay healthy).

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

7-2 overall 4-0 in the division. Josh outdueled arguably the best QB in the game. The media ignores us....who cares! Besides I like it better when the Bills fly under the radar.

Now, now.  Not all the "media". 

There is plenty of recognition for Josh yesterday.

People need to stop saying Stats Based Outlets as the media, 

42 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

FWIW Bills and Seahawks got the most talk and coverage in the Sunday Night Football pregame show.

other than Tom Brady getting his ass kicked??? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Maybe im a homer, but for two years I have been annoyed by media falling all over Darnold while hating on Allen. If Darnold sucked, it was his surrounding cast taking the blame. If Allen did something wrong it was “well we knew he was inconsistent coming out.”

Well now Darnold is done and Allen is a bonafide star, so you would think the positive energy would go towards Allen... right?

But so far, after yesterday, here’s what I’m seeing:

”Seattle’s defense is so bad and really allowed Allen to work.”

”My god!! Did you see Tua? That was ***** amazing!”

am I imagining this? 

Ya gotta remember that any team we beat is no longer considered good,  I mean they were a good team, right up until we beat them... 

Go Bills!!!

The Jets under Gase, like it was at Miami, are toxic.   I still think Darnold could develop with the right team.   Tannehill looks good. 

Tua looked very good for his 2nd NFL game.  I think Miami’s staff has a solid plan.  

Edited by Bob in STL

18 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I agree with you.  I believe it is too early to tell on Tua.  When I compare the first two games of Justin Herbert to Tua's, there's no contest.  Herbert has displayed a stronger arm, better command of his offence, and a much better ability to run with the ball.  I do think that Tua benefited from playing with superior talent at Alabama and may be over rated as a result.  Time will tell if he ultimately develops into a QB worthy of a top 10 pick (provided he can stay healthy).

All athletes benefit from superior talent / coaching and with Tua displaying the same confidence and comfort level in a Chan Gailey NFL Offense as I've seen Tua play with under Saban in just 2 games speaks volumes IMO.

There is a contest and we get to see these guys compete on the biggest stage football has to offer. 

Edited by Figster

Meh, Tua's new and he had a good game vs the #1 pick from the year before, of course people would be excited to talk about it. Josh and the Bills are getting plenty of deserved love for their signature win, but I love that it's not seen as exciting as the 2 other big stories of the weekend: Tua's big game & Tompa Bay crapping the bed at home. We were a 6-2 team who convincingly beat a 6-1 team, albeit with the presumptive MVP,  in our own stadium. I'm glad the national media isn't treating it like a total shock.

Edited by 416BillsFan

I don’t see Tua beating Allen in a shootout... I just don’t... Could see Tua being a good QB, but I don’t see him putting up 450 yards and 5 TDs the way Allen can... Miami does have a good team though but I’m not really overly concerned by them.. Buffalo could have a Championship team if this defense figures things out and I think they can...

12 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I don’t see Tua beating Allen in a shootout... I just don’t... Could see Tua being a good QB, but I don’t see him putting up 450 yards and 5 TDs the way Allen can... Miami does have a good team though but I’m not really overly concerned by them.. Buffalo could have a Championship team if this defense figures things out and I think they can...

Fan of Tua and I agree,  ( I'm fighting it )

Not one person in the league I would prefer more over Allen. Good competition makes the games more enjoyable IMO. It makes each team in the Division better IMO.

Edited by Figster

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Maybe im a homer, but for two years I have been annoyed by media falling all over Darnold while hating on Allen. If Darnold sucked, it was his surrounding cast taking the blame. If Allen did something wrong it was “well we knew he was inconsistent coming out.”

Well now Darnold is done and Allen is a bonafide star, so you would think the positive energy would go towards Allen... right?

But so far, after yesterday, here’s what I’m seeing:

”Seattle’s defense is so bad and really allowed Allen to work.”

”My god!! Did you see Tua? That was ***** amazing!”

am I imagining this? 

The hype itself could be, but I think the situations are very different IMO

I think Darnold was taken about where he should have been drafted and has just under performed badly, though much may not be his fault as much as the team and coaching.  He also did produce in college and not on an extremely stacked team.  The only knock on him coming out was he has alot of turnovers

Tua while basically drafted almost as high, IMO way too high.  He just seems more a case of playing on an extremely stacked Bama team that completed or won the national championship every year.  Questionable size for the NFL too.

So while the hype is certainly there, will be much less surprised if Tua fails than I was with Darnold.  Darnold could become another Tannerhill too where he goes to another team and succeeds which really would be a knock on Gase as he was also Tannerhill's coach.  Conversely would be more surprised if Tua were to leave Miami in a year or two and did better elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Fan of Tua and I agree, 

Not one person in the league I would prefer more over Allen. Good competition makes the games more enjoyable IMO. It makes each team in the Division better IMO.

As much as I agree I’m fine with Tua being the other big name in the East and that being where it ends. 

Id like to see the Jets and Pats flounder for a while and not have to see the hype train pull in for Lawrence if the Jets continue to flop. Let some other division get a guy. I’m sick of all the presumed good ones finding their way to the afc east.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, nucci said:

why can't you guys just enjoy the game? That game was great to watch and both QBs made a lot of plays

Nuch, man, it was a good game.  

Honestly, in my sole and humble opinion nobody can compare to my satisfaction the four major sports.  Football has just plain been better to watch than the others.  Cowboys/ Steelers yesterday, are you kidding me?!  One team was 2-6 and was still balling with their third string qb (shoutout to Gale) on the last play of the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The Cardinal announcers were praising Tua, but mentioned that he looks very different when they got pressure on him.  

Without pressure, Tua was carving them up.   

With pressure, he had some errant throws.  

It’s only two games, so who knows how he turns out, but that’s certainly very Darnold-like, before the Jets took a sledgehammer to his career.