Without Gilmore, Edleman & now Brady & Gronk this isn't a tough game

LB48

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm gonna channel Mike Florio on this one.  "The Patriots are the Terminator.  They're not dead until they're melted down and the liquid is dispersed over 5 different continents".

I want to see that worm turn.  In fact I want to see that worm do the fandango.  But make no mistake, this is going to be a tough game.  Chris Simms had some good points about the matchup between the Bills D vs Pats O and Pats D vs Bills O still favoring the Pats - that they can run and stop the run, and we can do neither. 

Yes that's simplistic.  But the point is, don't pencil a game against a Belicheck coached team as a sure L just because Gilmore and Edelman are out when the Pats still have an excellent run game and conditions may disfavor passing.

Hap, save insightful posts for the Grownups Table. Mud pies are being served for dessert here.

I really do hope that the coaching staff and the players do not share your view. 

The Pats lost Brady and are not doing so well. Now, many of us are blasting Belichick because we want to, due to the way he sliced us up time and again. Things really do point to it being to be our turn to kick some ass, but let's not lose track of the man we are facing. Belichick has a coaching advantage against every single NFL coach and must be taken seriously. 

Bills 24

Pats 21

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm gonna channel Mike Florio on this one.  "The Patriots are the Terminator.  They're not dead until they're melted down and the liquid is dispersed over 5 different continents".

I want to see that worm turn.  In fact I want to see that worm do the fandango.  But make no mistake, this is going to be a tough game.  Chris Simms had some good points about the matchup between the Bills D vs Pats O and Pats D vs Bills O still favoring the Pats - that they can run and stop the run, and we can do neither. 

Yes that's simplistic.  But the point is, don't pencil a game against a Belicheck coached team as a sure L just because Gilmore and Edelman are out when the Pats still have an excellent run game and conditions may disfavor passing.

Exactly.

• Like (+1) 1

Its hard to describe the feeling of apprehension I have this morning before the game today.  Something like driving to the Dentist for a first ever root canal appointment.  You hope it goes well but there might be a lot of pain involved. 

This is the moment of truth. No excuses today.  No excuses for a slow start, no excuses for not being prepared for what they'll do on both sides of the ball, no excuses for nothing.  I see this as a must win not for the standings or the division lead but for burying the past and putting it firmly to rest.  A win will do that.   Based on what I saw last week I am nervous.  After two straight convincing defeats the Bills came out flat against a terrible Jets team last week.  If that game was against anyone else in the league it would have been a loss.  

The Patriots have no receiving group to speak of today.  Their best DB is out.  Their QB looks to be in some sort of slump.  We all know what they are going to do. They're going to run the ball on offense and stack the box on D, bring pressure on Allen to keep him in the pocket and force quick throws, and force the Bills to win through the air on a windy day.    

The BIlls have guys coming back healthy and the line up is as close to full strength as its been all season.  The coaches better have the players ready and playing start to finish with a game plan that addresses what everyone knows Belichik is going to do.  And the players should be over the top motivated to take this today.  Bills 24-13.

• Like (+1) 1

The Chiefs and Titans could beat anyone more often than not on a given week and are much stronger teams than the Broncos and 49ers, so New England may be the one team that is in more of a recent slump than Buffalo.

With that being said, I am not confident enough to call any team a lock for Buffalo.    The second half of the Jets was encouraging, but that was against a team that may be the worst NFL team in years.   Buffalo's running game and run defense is not doing well.  If Belichick sees that weakness in this game, he will exploit it non stop until Buffalo can do something about it.    Another factor is that New England has a lot more to lose.  If Buffalo loses they are still 3-1 in the division and 5-3.  If New England loses, they are 2-6 and their season is all but over.

I am about 75 percent certain the the Bills win, the defense is healthier and they seem to be getting their motivation back, I've see too many bills pats games over the last 15 years to be more confident than that.    I do not see Buffalo winning in a close game, I think that they either blowout the Pats or lose.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm tempted to think Belichick has thrown in the towel on the season and is smartly low-key tanking. Something about his tone in recent conferences and his lack of grouch that would normally be there. Then you throw in the Edelman IR, Gilmore trade, etc.

We'll know the answer tomorrow, I think.

Usually teams play 3 games in 15 days so it's not that big of a difference.

I would have a tendency to agree with you about the 2 more days, however, you could also look at it like this. 

2 days out of a year comes out to roughly .55% of the year, 2 days not seem like very much. 

2 days out of 15 equates to appx. 13.3% of the overall time, which is quite a difference. 

So while 2 days doesn't seem to be that much of a difference, it could have been a 13.3% increase in overall game prep/practice. Now, spread out over the duration of 3 games, I'm not sure how much of a difference it actually makes. Just throwing it out from a numbers perspective. 

P.S. I've never claimed to be a math wizard so please be gentle if my calculations are "a little off"

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I knew Gilmore and Edleman weren't playing but NOW Brady and Gronk too?  Woah 

Lmao I was going point out that Brady and Vronk were never going to play for either NE or Buffalo this week.. lol does he know of a trade happening? Lol

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Big Bill flunked out at Cleveland and wasn't doing much with the PATS until Brady took over the QB position.

One might think the man could have learned something in 19 years since then.

Jerry Hughes gets it:

“You’ve got to take that title away before we can make that statement,” Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes said. “And those guys, they still have that title hanging over there in Boston so until someone takes that crown from them, we cannot yet say that. So I’m going to hold my tongue because I don’t like to put anything out there in the universe and then have to come back and eat crow so I will say that we’re going to be ready for this game.”

https://theathletic.com/2170996/2020/10/31/can-bills-take-advantage-of-vulnerable-patriots/?source=emp_shared_article

“I think it’s funny, and comical, that people are writing them off and labeling whether it’s us or another team as the team to beat in the East,” Beane said. “The team to beat in the East is the Patriots until somebody beats them.”

(....)

McDermott and his players aren’t putting too much stock into a division title right now, not during a game week. They don’t want to take their focus off this one week and certainly don’t want the Patriots getting any sort of added motivation from words that come out of the Bills locker room. But the organization hasn’t hidden from this game or the Patriots as a hurdle that needs clearing. Before the season, Beane said the Bills were still chasing the Patriots and the goal of a division title. How Beane judges his team hinges on how they perform in games like this one.

“Time will tell if we’re building it right, if we have the right pieces, but I truly believe we’re trending up and we’re heading in the right direction,” Beane said. “The results will speak for themselves, and again, until we win the AFC East, I’m not going to feel like we’re on track. That’s a big hurdle that we need to do here.”

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dgrochester55 said:

The Chiefs and Titans could beat anyone more often than not on a given week and are much stronger teams than the Broncos and 49ers, so New England may be the one team that is in more of a recent slump than Buffalo.

With that being said, I am not confident enough to call any team a lock for Buffalo.    The second half of the Jets was encouraging, but that was against a team that may be the worst NFL team in years.   Buffalo's running game and run defense is not doing well.  If Belichick sees that weakness in this game, he will exploit it non stop until Buffalo can do something about it.    Another factor is that New England has a lot more to lose.  If Buffalo loses they are still 3-1 in the division and 5-3.  If New England loses, they are 2-6 and their season is all but over.

I am about 75 percent certain the the Bills win, the defense is healthier and they seem to be getting their motivation back, I've see too many bills pats games over the last 15 years to be more confident than that.    I do not see Buffalo winning in a close game, I think that they either blowout the Pats or lose.

Yeah, we'll see most of the roster on the field for the first time in awhile today.   Should be a messy, wet windy, low scoring game.   Just go find a way to win.   Pats are better than the Jets team they had to come back to beat last week, so nothing is solid this week.  

This will be a tough, hard fought game and the Bills will need to be “on” to win.  The opportunity is there but they need to put the stake in the heart.  There is certainly no excuse for not winning this game, but until I see that stake sticking out of Bellicheat’s chest, I will be nervous.  Go Bills. 

18 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That is definitely a facet of this game I worry about.  It’s certainly a game the Bills should win, but it’s one they could lose.  I don’t like the weather for it either. 

(OL vs our DL)  Right. 

I think Beane (presumably with McDermott's buy-in) counted on our homegrown talent Harrison Phillips, Ed Oliver and through the season, Epenesa, to step up.

To retain Shaq and Jordan Phillips is that the contracts he had to compete with were 3-4 years with substantial guarantees - $21M for Shaq and easily $18.5 for Phillips.  I think he felt that could put the Bills in a hard cap situation in 2021/22 to give Allen a 2nd contract.  So the Plan is that Addison, Butler and Jefferson between them can be adequate replacements at about the same cost now but lower guarantees and fall off the cap when we may need more. 

So far it's looking like "let too many leaders out of the building" instead of a good plan, especially with Josh Norman perennially injured.

It's looking as though Butler will be a no-go but Jefferson may (looking at no DL call-up) so the rotation may be Zimmer/Phillips at 1T and Oliver/Jefferson at 3T.  The center of the Pats OL is intact and we must get pressure there and keep our LB clean to stop the run.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That is definitely a facet of this game I worry about.  It’s certainly a game the Bills should win, but it’s one they could lose.  I don’t like the weather for it either. 

Exactly.  It’s the only advantage the Pats have and I expect Belichick to lean heavily on it. I don’t think it’ll be enough.....but it could be enough to make us sweat.

as long as we have zero turnovers, we should win and cover

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

The Bills SHOULD win because they are a better team,   BUT Belichick is good at exposing you weakness though.  If the Bills defense does not stop the run it is going to be a long day in Buffalo.  

I think the Bills are going to win easily but I won't be surprised if the Patriots run for 250 yards and beat the Bills 17-14.  This Bills run defense is a real problem.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a problem with fans. Getting cocky and expecting teams to roll over because on paper they’re not as good or other factors playing in like injuries and practice etc etc. 

Any given Sunday is a popular quote for a reason. Walking into any game expecting to steam roll someone is only setting yourself up for disappointment. The Pats whole season is basically on the line here, they have a ton to play for

Well, I think you’re forgetting one thing: we are the buffalo bills. There is no such thing as an easy game for this team (see jets game last week... 😂).

19 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

The Bills SHOULD win because they are a better team,   BUT Belichick is good at exposing you weakness though.  If the Bills defense does not stop the run it is going to be a long day in Buffalo.  

I think the Bills are going to win easily but I won't be surprised if the Patriots run for 250 yards and beat the Bills 17-14.  This Bills run defense is a real problem.

This is my worry as well. Their strengths seem to match our weaknesses. They’re good at running the ball on offense, and stopping the pass on defense (though hopefully not as good without Gilmore). Our defense can’t stop the run and our offense can’t run the ball (but I’m hoping Feliciano changes that). 

• Like (+1) 1

This is a game against a hated division rival...20 years of domination by New England over the Buffalo Bills. 

This is a DIVISION game and anything can happen as teams play extra tough on both sides. The Patriots could field a team of newborns or octogenarians in wheelchairs and still win. Like Bum Phillips used to say, he could take yours and beat mine and take his and beat yours. This is STILL the Patriots with head coach Bill Belichick still coaching it. Never underestimate this man until the fat lady sings.

OTOH, NE could be in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes and want to lose, but I doubt it.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Exactly.  It’s the only advantage the Pats have and I expect Belichick to lean heavily on it. I don’t think it’ll be enough.....but it could be enough to make us sweat.

as long as we have zero turnovers, we should win and cover

Turnovers are another big concern.  It’s gonna be wet all game and wet footballs get loose a lot more often.  It adds an extra element of uncertainty/luck in a game where I’d rather not have that.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LB48 said:

I am a long time fan who remembers all the frustrating losses to the Patriots over the past 10 years.  They were a special team and deserved to win most of the match-ups vs. the Bills.  We came oh so close to wins and it just didn't happen.

I'm almost scared to state it - BUT - we should sweep the series against them in 2020.  That's somewhat tough to imagine as a Bills fan BUT the worm has turned.  GO BILLS!

Don't forget all the key COVID opt-outs before the season even started...

Literally they might be worse talent wise than the Jets today. If we can't beat them there is a serious problem. We should win by at least 2 TDs.

13 hours ago, LB48 said:

I am a long time fan who remembers all the frustrating losses to the Patriots over the past 10 years.  They were a special team and deserved to win most of the match-ups vs. the Bills.  We came oh so close to wins and it just didn't happen.

I'm almost scared to state it - BUT - we should sweep the series against them in 2020.  That's somewhat tough to imagine as a Bills fan BUT the worm has turned.  GO BILLS!

Also 10 years? More like 18.

30 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

This is a game against a hated division rival...20 years of domination by New England over the Buffalo Bills. 

This is a DIVISION game and anything can happen as teams play extra tough on both sides. The Patriots could field a team of newborns or octogenarians in wheelchairs and still win. Like Bum Phillips used to say, he could take yours and beat mine and take his and beat yours. This is STILL the Patriots with head coach Bill Belichick still coaching it. Never underestimate this man until the fat lady sings.

OTOH, NE could be in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes and want to lose, but I doubt it.

I can't see them tanking. I mean, it would actually make sense to tank this year, and they could do a Golden State Warriors one-year tank thing and scare the hell out of everyone else as we set up for 2021. 

I better stop now since I'm talking myself into this diabolical Belichick plan ...

17 hours ago, LB48 said:

So- ready to retract this post? 

22 hours ago, LB48 said:

Have you learned anything today, or will it take another decade of Bills fandom to understand there are no easy games?