Le'Veon Bell signs with Kansas City

Seasons1992

Of the reported "finalists" only one team could make him their workhorse (if that's what he actually wants) and has a good chance at winning a lot this season.

With the Chiefs, he'd be their short yardage go-to. With the fish, there is little chance of making it into the playoffs,, let alone deep.

All that said, I have really liked Singeltary. I don't know why he doesn't get more carries. I trust Daboll and the o-crew, so I presume there must be more to all this than we see on gamedays.

Edited by scribo

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I won't deny that Singletary & Moss have hardly wowed with their production. And aside from the Titans game, the coaches for some bizarre reason just refuse to give TJ Yeldon a shot. Also Bell is the type of RB who needs some gaps to run thru. And right now that's not happening with this one dimensional OL. Maybe league minimum only I could live with. But somehow we have to create a run game. 

Exactly, our run game sucks, so I don't have a problem bringing him in for an extended tryout, but I get the same vibe as I did with the Kelvin Benjamin acquisition.  A signing that gets the fanbase excited, but a player whose best days are far behind them that will be out of the league within two years.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I hadn't bothered to check until now. Shady's rushing stats this year look like Reggie Bush's Bills stats:

4 games, 2 carries, -2 yards.

But 9 catches for 54 yards so Brady's found some use for him.

Yeah.  I just think Bell is being undervalued because he was part of a god awful offense on an even worse team, led by one of the worst coaches ever.

• Like (+1) 2

Bell still has something to iffer.

Remember the play he got hurt on against the Bills? He torched Milano and only a bad pass by Darnold prevented what should have been a big play by the Jets.

Edited by Beast

Signing Bell makes sense, as we need something that we apparently are missing in the rushing attack. Drafting Moss shows Beane wanted a big back, but his bad toe hasn't allowed us to use him so far. If Bell didn't work out, we aren't any worse than now.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, scribo said:

Signing Bell makes sense, as we need something that we apparently are missing in the rushing attack. Drafting Moss shows Beane wanted a big back, but his bad toe hasn't allowed us to use him so far. If Bell didn't work out, we aren't any worse than now.

I'd get more excited about acquiring Richie Incognito more so than Bell, if we are going to try and improve the rushing game.

Or a quality OL of Incognito's caliber who can actually run block.  Our OL is terrible in this regard.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, scribo said:

Of the reported "finalists" only one team could make him their workhorse (if that's what he actually wants) and has a good chance at winning a lot this season.

With the Chiefs, he'd be their short yardage go-to. With the fish, there is little chance of making it into the playoffs,, let alone deep.

All that said, I have really liked Singeltary. I don't know why he doesn't get more carries. I trust Daboll and the o-crew, so I presume there must be more to all this than we see on gamedays.

Just think of it this way - Bell will replace what we've gotten from Zack Moss and T.J. Yeldon in his place. Either they redshirt Moss with his toe or Yeldon is released and moved to the Practice Squad. They'd roll with Bell and Singletary on game day and I don't think Singletary's carries would change all that much. 

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

I'd get more excited about acquiring Richie Incognito more so than Bell, if we are going to try and improve the rushing game.

Or a quality OL of Incognito's caliber who can actually run block.  Our OL is terrible in this regard.

I wouldnt considering he's on IR with an Achilles injury https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/raiders-place-richie-incognito-on-ir-with-achilles-injury/ar-BB19me0H

But yeah some help is needed for sure

Edited by brianthomas

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Signing Bell wouldn't be done to improve the rushing game.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Raiders aren't letting him go.

3 hours ago, CLTbills said:

The great thing is, he can pick where he wants to go. Any team can offer him the league minimum, and the Jets have to pay the difference up to his $6m guarantee with them. So it wouldn't cost us much to bring him in on a 1-year deal.

Wouldn't that be delicious? The Jets paying him to play for us?

we should use this as a selling point to him.  He'd love it also!  (of course, so could MIA.  I'm guessing he ends up with MIA.  In KC, he'd be the #2 back likely to CHE)

interesting that we are tied, at some point, to two of the "killer B's" from the Steelers (AB and Bell).  

None of us really know, but I would have to imagine Bell wants the best spot possible to boost his contract offers for next year. 
I hate to say but that’s Miami. He’s going to get the most touches there. I don’t know that he’d be considered that old that he’s only chasing a ring. He’s chasing one more multi year contract. 
He’s going to be pretty rotational with limited touches with us KC or the pats. 
Plus, he’s gonna beef with motor cause he’s gonna want 26 right? 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Hadn't thought about the tax implications.

Right now he's drawing his Jets salary, not playing (so the states he plays in can't ding him for state income taxes), and presumably living in Florida (no state income tax).

If he plays in NY state as his home team, does NY treat that Jets income as income derived from playing for the Bills? If so, the Bills would have to sweeten the deal as opposed to the Dolphins.

you pay the taxes of the state in which you work, I believe.  

• Like (+1) 1

we should put a poll as to where people thing he signs.  I'm thinking he goes to KC (best offense on paper), or MIA (clear #1 starter).  Buffalo is appealing due to the unique playcalling we employ, and we could use him as a WR in a supped-up mcKenzie role.  

6 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

The Pegula Jet is on the way to Florida. Could very well be going to see Bell

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/XSR697

image.thumb.png.38f5ea76f10c814e4ebe0502dbf4b91e.png

Does Bell live in Florida? He was born and went to high school in Ohio, college at Michigan St, pros in Pittsburgh and NYC area.  Did a quick search and couldn’t find anything with him living in florida

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Does Bell live in Florida? He was born and went to high school in Ohio, college at Michigan St, pros in Pittsburgh and NYC area.  Did a quick search and couldn’t find anything with him living in florida

Yeah he lives and trains there

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-leveon-bell-kelly-column-20201015-xihlfa2ebvg7fbemoa6zhedrni-story.html

Bell already calls South Florida home, living and training here in the offseason, and sources told the South Florida Sun Sentinel he’s open to considering the Dolphins (2-3) if “the money, and situation is right.”

Edited by brianthomas
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Gonna use him on the punt team, huh?

😂

No it would be used to improve pass blocking and also help with the passing game. This team is not that interested in running the ball.

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Apparently he does in the off season. So do our other two RBs btw

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

Yeah he lives and trains there

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-leveon-bell-kelly-column-20201015-xihlfa2ebvg7fbemoa6zhedrni-story.html

Bell already calls South Florida home, living and training here in the offseason, and sources told the South Florida Sun Sentinel he’s open to considering the Dolphins (2-3) if “the money, and situation is right.”

When I searched again a bunch of stuff popped up. Idk what I did wrong the first time. 

https://www.local10.com/sports/2019/06/07/leveon-bell-returns-to-south-florida-home-finds-girlfriends-jewelry-gone/?outputType=amp

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

you pay the taxes of the state in which you work, I believe.  

Which is why NFL players have to have accountants do their taxes because their tax returns get complex since they play all over the place. Each game they pay the taxes in the state they are playing and in some cases the county/municipality taxes also.

1 minute ago, Captain Caveman said:

If I remember correctly NFL players have to (or used to anyway) file state taxes in every state they play a game in.

That is correct. Which is another reason players would likely be very against a bubble if they are in a state with low taxes.  Unless the bubble was in those states and then they would pay no taxes on any of the games instead of just the home games.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

That’s a good point you just made, I forgot about the state income tax thing. I say he’s signing with Miami then due to the tax break he’ll get because he’ll be in Florida. But I do wonder if he can still get that break IF he signs with Buffalo?

Apparently Bell is a resident of Florida. I don't know whether the state of residence has jurisdiction to tax him on his worldwide income or whether the state in which he earns the income as a part year resident gets to tax. It's always been my understanding that Bills players have to pay tax to NY so I assume the latter. If so it may be difficult to compensate Bell for the additional taxes he incurs if he plays in Buffalo because the more they pay, the less the Jets pay. Normally the Bills could just gross up his comp for the additional taxes he pays in NY versus some other place.