Zay Jones - What If He Played With This Josh Allen?

HardyBoy

He has always looked oddly "weak" to me compared to other receivers around the league.  Not sure if it's his body type or what.  But he looks weak and slow and he has always had suspect hands.  I think he's likely out of the league completely within 2-3 years.

Edited by TheBrownBear

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

We still haven’t seen Hodgens yet. 

I'm no @Blokestradamus so I didn't know we took a tall receiver in the 7th. 

It's scary that we're drafting sons of people I watched while I was in college, play in the NFL in 1999. 😳

He looks promising. 

Sincerely, 

Late To The Party Seasons

• Haha (+1) 1

I think Zay will likely hang around the league a few more years, I think the Bills were the wrong place at the wrong time for him. He needed to adjust to being in the NFL slowly and he was in over his head in Buffalo. I don't think he will develop into anything other than a high end back up player but I could see him developing into a better slot player.

2 hours ago, Chris from Rochester said:

Had we been able to be patient with Zay and if he had the trio ahead of him like Davis does he probably could have become a solid 2-3 receiver. We didn't have talent in front of him and needed him to produce immediately and Zay wasn't ready.

That being said, I wish him well in LV, and am very happy with our current WR room

He was a 2nd round draft pick, we had more than enough patients. 

See Gabriel Davis. 

2 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

If Allen had those touch passes, I'm thinking things go differently for Zay in Buffalo. I'm not saying he's a star #1 in that situation by any means, but his drop issues would have been much less.

He got open, but he was too slow getting his hands up in time and Allen was largley only throwing super fast.

Of course the what if could be what if he got a chance to play with Diggs, Brown and Beasley and be able to be in the Gabriel Davis role (not saying I'd rather have Zay over Gabriel on the team), but I think his biggest issue was he was slow getting his hands ready to catch and if the ball was coming earlier, but slower from Allen like it is this year, he would have had a lot more success.

Don't put Jones' failure on Josh Allen's struggles as a rookie and second year player.   Jones didn't catch many passes from Tyrod Taylor in 2017, and he didn't help  Peterman, Anderson or Barkley any more than he helped Allen in 2018.  The Zay Jones I saw play last night -- and a little bit in previous games -- is not nearly as good as any of the WRs the Bills currently have, including Davis, McKenzie, and Roberts.  

If Allen had those touch passes, I'm thinking things go differently for Zay in Buffalo. I'm not saying he's a star #1 in that situation by any means, but his drop issues would have been much less.

He got open, but he was too slow getting his hands up in time and Allen was largley only throwing super fast.

Of course the what if could be what if he got a chance to play with Diggs, Brown and Beasley and be able to be in the Gabriel Davis role (not saying I'd rather have Zay over Gabriel on the team), but I think his biggest issue was he was slow getting his hands ready to catch and if the ball was coming earlier, but slower from Allen like it is this year, he would have had a lot more success.

nope Zay is Zay. There are some positives - he can move around freely in a pandemic without a mask since he can’t catch anything but on a football field with a contending team like the 2020 Bills, he is not worth a roster spot

• Haha (+1) 1

Zay still doesn’t make the team this year.  He’s a low-end WR on most NFL teams.  I think the problems we saw last year are still the ones that continue to plague him:

1. No separation 

2. inconsistent hands

3. Not good on contested catches

4 Not quick, shifty or fast enough to create mismatches

If you were to put Zay on the team, he might be the 2nd WR of the PS behind Duke Williams

• Like (+1) 1

Oh, Just stop.🤦‍♂️

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

He has always looked oddly "weak" to me compared to other receivers around the league.  Not sure if it's his body type or what.  But he looks weak and slow and he has always had suspect hands.  I think he's likely out of the league completely within 2-3 years.

Weirdest thing is that coming out of college, so many scouting reports put verbatim “he catches everything!”  That didn’t happen in the NFL.

I was watching rookie highlights.  There’s a game vs San Diego were Josh hits an open Zay with a 40 yard bomb.  The ball is a bit under thrown and Zay  is so open he turns his body to catch the ball that hits him in the stomach.  But he ends up bobbling an easy catch which wouldn’t negated a huge gain.  That’s Zay’s career in Buffalo, folks

Look I will beat a dead horse on Watkins, who did prove himself a good receiver and posted #'s in Buffalo.

I will go on about the stupidity of the trade and the fact McD gutted the offense in 2017.....  but Zay Jones was a second round pick who put up below average #'s and is now gone......

Not worth discussion. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billzfan37 said:

When I watched the game yesterday, I still saw a Zay Jones that couldn't get separation from anyone - and still very iffy hands.  He should have dove (slightly) and laid out for an almost perfectly thrown ball - if that was Beasley, or Diggs (or even Brown) - he makes that catch.

You beat me to it.  When I saw this play on Sunday, I was going nuts in the GDT about Zay showing his true colors.  Easy first down catch on a well thrown ball, he needed to dive, stretch, lay out, SOMETHING to make the play.  Reminded me of Foster in that preseason game.  Zay just doesn't show the heart, he's just a bit gutless.  Good for him being in Vegas, but I'm glad he's not here taking time from Gabe Davis or McKittrick.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chris from Rochester said:

Had we been able to be patient with Zay and if he had the trio ahead of him like Davis does he probably could have become a solid 2-3 receiver. We didn't have talent in front of him and needed him to produce immediately and Zay wasn't ready.

That being said, I wish him well in LV, and am very happy with our current WR room

more or less this.

ironically we probably took the polished guy instead of high upside projects there and bit us still because the transition is difficult when jumping straight to the top of an nfl depth chart. A real positive in acquiring a known commodity in diggs 

• Like (+1) 1

No offense, but the Bills wanted receivers that could adjust to passes and catch contested balls as well as soft lobs when a db falls down or misses an assignment.

I wish Zay well, but he did not show the elite hands I look for in a WR. I think the OBD staff was very patient waiting for that to happen. All QBs need that player who has a good catch radius, who not only can catch that great pass, but the one thrown off the back foot of your QB while he is getting mobbed by defenders.

Folks said the same thing about Kelvin Benjamin and Allen's passes - that he did not lead him enough or take enough off his passes. Kelvin went to KC with Mahomes and it did not take long for folks to see that he could not bail out Mahomes when needed on tough contested catches. So they too had a standard for the type of receiver they wanted to invest in and Benjamin was out.

Certainly Allen has learned to throw his receivers open better and to take some heat off his throws, but Zay did not perform to the level of Brown or Beasley who were productive even while Allen was improving his game.

3 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Doesnt matter.  When Brown and Beasley had career years Jones couldnt stay on the field.  Davis is a better vertical pass catcher.  That lob pass from Carr that just out of reach Davis imo comes down with it.  The 39 yarder vs LAR and diving Td grab vs MIA are plays Jones routinly fails to make.

Considering how much he was targeted early and the jawing he was doing it seems pretty clear that LV was trying to feature him for some revenge. Fortunately for us, he's still Zay Jones and that feature resulted in 6 targets, 4 catches, 32 yards, and a low effort miss right off his fingertips.

No thanks. Zay is where Zay needs to be... anywhere other than Buffalo. We have 3rd string guys like McKenzie and Roberts plus practice squad guys like Duke and Hodgins that I’d take over Zay. Beane and McD know what they are doing. It’s a lot more than just talent and x’s & o’s. It’s about family. It’s about your teammates loving and respecting you and wanting to go to battle with you. I never really saw that with Zay. 

Just ask yourself. Would you rather spend a 4th round pick on Davis, who has caught EVERYTHING thrown to him in his first 4 games of his rookie season after a severely limited training camp and no preseason games. Who is already savvy enough to tap and drag his toes to stay in bounds. Who already has two clean touchdowns on 8 pass attempts. Who in his first 4 games of his rookie season is already ranked 17th in touchdowns and 15th in average yards.

Or a 2nd round pick on Jones, who as a vet of many seasons still has questionable hands, too many drops, and struggles to get separation in the NFL.

Edited by simpleman
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Chris from Rochester said:

This.  We put Zay into the position of being the de-facto #1 with no high-level vets to learn from, and he couldn't do it.

Gabe Davis may be super smart and everything Brown says about him "helping them" true, but who here thinks he'd be as good if he didn't have 3 super-savvy vets in his ear all the time coaching him and giving him tips and nuances?

That said, whether he might have developed it if he started out on a good team or not - Zay had little competitive fire when he was here.  If the ball was mis-thrown a bit or he was off his route a bit, he would NOT defend  it - see NE game last year. 

22 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t believe he’d have made this bills roster. 

Agreed.  I do think he was miscast here.  He’d have been a fit in the offense NE was running, but not ours so much.  Right now he would be vying for the 5th spot because Davis would have the 4th.  If that’s where you are at this point - especially as a 2nd round pick - then it’s time to move on from that player.