Per David Portnoy, Barstool Sports will bid on naming rights for Bills stadium

YoloinOhio

49 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

So, if Erie County owns the Bills' stadium...do the Bills have zero say in the naming rights?  So, for instance, as outrageous as it would be, if some company bid to name the stadium "Tom Brady" stadium...and for whatever reason, Erie County approved it, the Bills would just be stuck with that name?  

Again, ridiculous scenario, but I imagine there is a potential for a stadium name that the Bills organization would not like...

Nick Veronica
@NickVeronica
·
19m
The #Bills lease with Erie County has a section on stadium naming rights.

The stadium name "shall not unreasonably cause embarrassment to the County." The name is subject to approval from the county.

Dear Mrs. Pegula,

Please forego soliciting bids for naming rights to the football stadium.  Make a popular decision and decree that the name shall be hence forth and evermore Ralph Wilson Memorial Stadium, aka "The Ralph."

Thank you for your attention to my recommendation.

Respectfully,

Keukasmallie

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Top 5 punchable faces.  He’s a giant douche but I give credit where’s it’s due. I remember when barstool was just a boston thing.  Now, it’s a major company.

and barstool has some terrible things but they do give the Bills and their fans a lot of love.

turns out there's big money in being a douchebag. You have no problem screwing people over and other douchebags will love you. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't know or care how much money he makes - I don't hate rich people at all.  Good for him.  I dislike him because he acts like the quintessential annoying American college bro d-bag.  He has a history of demeaning women.  His humor isn't funny.  He sucks up to Trump.  He's just a super-douche.  He represents everything I can't stand about our culture.

I agree in some respects.  Some of the stuff is way over the top for my liking.   However, in his defense he says a lot of stuff out loud that a lot of men think and act on but prefer to hide in sheep's clothing.  Rather deal with him than hypocrites who pretend to be something they aren't.

On the Trump thing, not everything is about someone's political leanings.    And from what I've seen in interviews Portnoy is the son of liberal lawyer and school teacher parents and doesnt align with a political party.  Kind of weird his parents would raise such a college bro....Suppose Biden's choice of Cardi B as an interviewer is more your speed?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't know or care how much money he makes - I don't hate rich people at all.  Good for him.  I dislike him because he acts like the quintessential annoying American college bro d-bag.  He has a history of demeaning women.  His humor isn't funny.  He sucks up to Trump.  He's just a super-douche.  He represents everything I can't stand about our culture.

FYI if you pay attention to the site all of their writers are left leaning. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Top 5 punchable faces.  He’s a giant douche but I give credit where’s it’s due. I remember when barstool was just a boston thing.  Now, it’s a major company.

and barstool has some terrible things but they do give the Bills and their fans a lot of love.

So educate me, what are some of these "terrible" things Barstool has done?

8 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Predictably, everyone who says "Barstool bad" can't articulate why Barstool is bad.

Same people probably think that ESPN is still good.  Lames.

What?  What if I enjoy both ESPN and barstool?  Also, for all the ESPN critics, who is beating them?

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

What?  What if I enjoy both ESPN and barstool?  Also, for all the ESPN critics, who is beating them?

Literally anyone that covers sports without yelling that rival the “***** screaming at each other in (insert city” the wife watches. Seriously why are Steven A Smith & Max Kellerman yelling about Jimmy Garoppolo

18 minutes ago, T&C said:

Nick Veronica
@NickVeronica
·
19m
The #Bills lease with Erie County has a section on stadium naming rights.

The stadium name "shall not unreasonably cause embarrassment to the County." The name is subject to approval from the county.

That's good to know...but I think it could be argued that naming the stadium with something relating to another team or even a Pegula business rival, wouldn't inherently be embarrassing to the County, but surely could be to the Bills or the Pegulas.  I still doubt Barstool gets the bid though.  We'll see.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

This is actually a really good point I didn't even think about. It has the possibility for a ton of press. If I were Erie County and/or the Pegulas, I would mandate it as part of the contract. 

Winning will give them a ton of press too...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

When it comes to the NFL?  Fox crushes them Sunday mornings, SNF crushes MNF, NFL network is better on every level.  It's not even a debate.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

So educate me, what are some of these "terrible" things Barstool has done?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-barstool-sports-portnoy-racism-20200706-6qoawvrjbnce5cygbknhlp2wwe-story.html%3foutputType=amp

I think he is trash but I like some of their stuff.  I know this is wild to some but you can like multiple things. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Don’t be so misogynistic. Jesus Christ man that ***** is completely uncalled for in this day and time 

tokenism exists. And it’s by no fault of Nardini’s, but Portnoy is the face of that company, always has been. So if the actual CEO takes a backseat to his antics, what would you call it. 

And Barstool has hired female staffers in recent years. Hasn’t always been like that though, so I’m hesitant to give Portnoy credit for “diversifying.”

49 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

Dear Mrs. Pegula,

Please forego soliciting bids for naming rights to the football stadium.  Make a popular decision and decree that the name shall be hence forth and evermore Ralph Wilson Memorial Stadium, aka "The Ralph."

Thank you for your attention to my recommendation.

Respectfully,

Keukasmallie

Hate to break it to you but no one is going to say “no thanks” to $4m to $5M a year for that. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, johnnywo said:

Winning will give them a ton of press too...

It is not a pie, one doesn't cancel the other out. If anything they are stackable. Win the super bowl, also be covered on social media by a major SM company. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

If an apparel complain with exclusive pro sports licensing rights selling hats (1 billion a year revenues) for years all over the world could not find 5 mil a year to pay they naming rights tab, hows some internet sports column blog going to swing it?

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

tokenism exists. And it’s by no fault of Nardini’s, but Portnoy is the face of that company, always has been. So if the actual CEO takes a backseat to his antics, what would you call it. 

And Barstool has hired female staffers in recent years. Hasn’t always been like that though, so I’m hesitant to give Portnoy credit for “diversifying.”

This is not right. Portnoy is in charge of the entertainment side, and Nardini is in charge of the business side. His antics ARE the entertainment. Her job was never to curb his antics, but to make his antics more profitable, which she absolutely has.  Beyond that, and where she has really excelled, is she was charged with growing the brand. Barstool has seen its brand absolutely explode under her guidance. She legitimized the brand and expanded it to grab female audiences. She has succeeded by a measure that was beyond anyone's wildest expectations. Reducing her to the "Token CEO" is as offensive as it is ignorant. 

Portnoy is an idiot.  That said, Barstool is not Portnoy, or at least it isn't anymore. If you think otherwise, you just aren't paying attention. Their two most successful offerings--Parton My Take and Call Her Daddy--Portnoy doesn't have any involvement with. The same is true for most of their other podcasts/shows/etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

You’re continuing to spread an idea that she is a token ceo and just sits at a desk. I’m honestly speechless. 

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Barstool Stadium...... Another beautifual day at "The Barstool"... 

.... headed to The Barstool for the game....

I DIG IT

Only it gets shortened to the stool and then we need the bidet to wash it off ;)

• Sad 1

Can't we all just agree to call it Ralph Wilson Stadium and give a big middle finger to the whole stadium naming process?

I can remember a time when not all stadiums whored their name out to the highest bidder every few years.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

You’re continuing to spread an idea that she is a token ceo and just sits at a desk. I’m honestly speechless. 

Then your outrage is clouding your cognition and trying to explain it any clearer isn’t going to help you any. Carry on. 

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is not right. Portnoy is in charge of the entertainment side, and Nardini is in charge of the business side. His antics ARE the entertainment. Her job was never to curb his antics, but to make his antics more profitable, which she absolutely has.  Beyond that, and where she has really excelled, is she was charged with growing the brand. Barstool has seen its brand absolutely explode under her guidance. She legitimized the brand and expanded it to grab female audiences. She has succeeded by a measure that was beyond anyone's wildest expectations. Reducing her to the "Token CEO" is as offensive as it is ignorant. 

Portnoy is an idiot.  That said, Barstool is not Portnoy, or at least it isn't anymore. If you think otherwise, you just aren't paying attention. Their two most successful offerings--Parton My Take and Call Her Daddy--Portnoy doesn't have any involvement with. The same is true for most of their other podcasts/shows/etc. 

Is Portnoy still not the most visible face of the company, as its founder? Whenever Barstool makes the wider news, is it not Portnoy who’s quoted in those stories?

”tokenism” as i used it doesn’t mean I think Nardini is incompetent or unqualified. Not at all. I do think there were strategic motives beyond just her business acumen that Portnoy definitely considered.