Per David Portnoy, Barstool Sports will bid on naming rights for Bills stadium

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Given the public persona of Barstool, I would find it incongruous for Kim Pegula to get onboard with that D-bag as the label of their home.

I feel that in a perfect world you are right. I think in the real world the money will talk for Terry and Kim. My guess is that we are looking at $5m a year until the end of the lease. If it is Barstool/Penn National that feels like the extent that they’d want to commit to. They want to build the brand(s) and get out. It’s not a Rich Products 20+ year play.

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Sorry, never meant to imply that Mark Poloncarz was responsible for the move. Rather painting the whole picture that New Era has been pulling out of Buffalo for years, and the local GOV is not happy about it. 

Local governments have been giving tax breaks to New Era for decades. Hence the millions of dollars. 

The naming rights quote I referenced was from the article you gave me. It was a stupid take and inherently incorrect. We agree here. Haha! 

The article doesn’t say they couldn’t afford it. It actually says they came together to figure out how to get out of the deal, not to try and make it work, but couldn’t. That’s important.

“The two organizations issued a joint statement Wednesday confirming that New Era had sought to get out of the naming rights and sponsorship deals with the Bills: "The Bills and New Era are currently negotiating the details of this separation and the Bills are beginning the process of pursuing a new naming rights partner for the stadium."”

The article is trying to use the laying off people and closed a plant two years ago as financial issues. I’m positing these moves were always part of the plan and that they haven’t been hurting since 2018. They’ve actually been profiting more due to slashing overhead and moving the supply chain to China. They didn’t do that because it was noble and more expensive. They did it to increase GP. Lots of large companies are trimming huge amounts of fat 20-30% at the moment and blaming the pandemic, but a lot of them are just using it as an excuse to do it all at once, rather than have to tell the state first and do it gradually. 

Nope, the article clearly says they were trying for a long time to make it work.

"While the economic downturn stemming from the Covid-19 pandemic has significantly impacted New Era's business, sources with inside knowledge of the negotiations said PSE had been working with the company for "well over a year" to restructure the deal. Ultimately, both sides agreed to negotiate an early end to the arrangement, which was to run through 2022."

They were trying for over a year to find a way for the money to keep coming from New Era.  They weren't spending the over a year trying to end the deal.  They simply ended it when it was obvious they couldn't pay out the agreed upon sum.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I feel that in a perfect world you are right. I think in the real world the money will talk for Terry and Kim. My guess is that we are looking at $5m a year until the end of the lease. If it is Barstool/Penn National that feels like the extent that they’d want to commit to. They want to build the brand(s) and get out. It’s not a Rich Products 20+ year play.

You might be right.  That would expose her as a businesswoman, but also as a phoney.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Thanks I didn’t realize that. IMO, that makes them a lot more viable. I guess Goodell could step in but if the county can’t veto that it’s a possibility. 

While he is correctly quoting the relevant language, he is wrong that a Barstool bid would be veto-proof. That language is less narrow than it appears.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nope, the article clearly says they were trying for a long time to make it work.

"While the economic downturn stemming from the Covid-19 pandemic has significantly impacted New Era's business, sources with inside knowledge of the negotiations said PSE had been working with the company for "well over a year" to restructure the deal. Ultimately, both sides agreed to negotiate an early end to the arrangement, which was to run through 2022."

They were trying for over a year to find a way for the money to keep coming from New Era.  They weren't spending the over a year trying to end the deal.  They simply ended it when it was obvious they couldn't pay out the agreed upon sum.

You might be right.  That would expose her as a businesswoman, but also as a phoney.

Downturn economically during the pandemic?  Sure, totally feasible. I get it. But economic feasibility is not why New Era has been trying to pull out. They are the official hat for MLB, NBA and the NFL. They have $5M for this marketing expense...if they wanted to. They just don’t want to. New Era has been pretty open over the years that they are moving away from past/traditional forms of marketing and are shifting focus to social media. They fact that they have been trying to find an out for 2 years while owning the 3 largest contracts in American sports would lend to that. Covid is a convenient out at the moment. New Era has been slowly trying to lessen its footprint in Buffalo for year and it’s not because of money.

This all started because you claimed that a $1B New Era can’t afford $5M to put their name on a stadium, then $500M Barstool couldn’t either. I am saying your entire premise is wrong. New Era could do it. They don’t want to. And they have not wanted to for a long time now.

2 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

please god no

this guy is a ***** joke. his rant on COVID back in April was embarrassing. He thinks he is some important figure when is the "president" of an instagram meme page. 

Portnoy is a prick. But they’re much more than a meme page. They provide a ton of content. Podcats, sponsored events, gambling, “news”, etc.

13 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

please god no

this guy is a ***** joke. his rant on COVID back in April was embarrassing. He thinks he is some important figure when is the "president" of an instagram meme page. 

Turning a sports blog into $100M in net worth is no joke and that rank was pretty spot on.

10 hours ago, Mango said:

Downturn economically during the pandemic?  Sure, totally feasible. I get it. But economic feasibility is not why New Era has been trying to pull out. They are the official hat for MLB, NBA and the NFL. They have $5M for this marketing expense...if they wanted to. They just don’t want to. New Era has been pretty open over the years that they are moving away from past/traditional forms of marketing and are shifting focus to social media. They fact that they have been trying to find an out for 2 years while owning the 3 largest contracts in American sports would lend to that. Covid is a convenient out at the moment. New Era has been slowly trying to lessen its footprint in Buffalo for year and it’s not because of money.

This all started because you claimed that a $1B New Era can’t afford $5M to put their name on a stadium, then $500M Barstool couldn’t either. I am saying your entire premise is wrong. New Era could do it. They don’t want to. And they have not wanted to for a long time now.

Portnoy is a prick. But they’re much more than a meme page. They provide a ton of content. Podcats, sponsored events, gambling, “news”, etc.

Sorry, but that article suggests otherwise.  Saying they just didn't feel like honoring the contract not long after they signed it makes no sense--especially if they had the money.

If the CEO woke up one day and realized he "didn't want to" pay the money he has and promised to in a contract, The Bills would have sued him.  Instead they tried to restructure the amount.  The original deal was for 35-40 million at 5-6 million per year.  The article says that sources said it was down to 4 million a year.  Also reported that all of those league exclusive rights deals cost New Era "easily in the eight figures."

My conclusion is based on these reports.  Yours is a hunch. 

15 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

please god no

you must be a lot of fun at parties 

10 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

you must be a lot of fun at parties 

I'd hang with @Penfield45.  ***** Portnoy and his no talent hack ass.  He's famous for being annoying.  Fanbois follow him to try to be a part of their stupid bro culture.  I can't listen to the guy speak for 10 seconds without being filled with rage or boredom.  

Also, us Rochester east side peeps need to support one another.