Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Pittsburgh is going to have to make some tough cuts to make that happen.

I suggest the Bills be opportunistic and offer sheet Matt Feiler, their RT. Bills’ fans will know him as the big dude that managed to angle down Tre White and prevent a pick-6 on SNF. Steeler fans will tell you that he’s quietly their best OLman.

I’m in. Let’s roll.

i'd do it if they want a pick from next year. 

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

5/5 would support this... Panthers going full tear down. Send em a 2nd for CMC? Paging Sherlock Holmes!

They only save $3M if they trade Turner...I’m...confused...

Just now, aristocrat said:

i'd do it if they want a pick from next year. 

Or this year. I’m in either way. He’s an asshat, but he’s the kind of player we need.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Pittsburgh is going to have to make some tough cuts to make that happen.

I suggest the Bills be opportunistic and offer sheet Matt Feiler, their RT. Bills’ fans will know him as the big dude that managed to angle down Tre White and prevent a pick-6 on SNF. Steeler fans will tell you that he’s quietly their best OLman.

I’m in. Let’s roll.

I think the Browns are actually trying to get rid of him, won’t take much 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I said it’s not a PREMIER POSITION. It doesn’t hold the same value as a LT, QB, WR, CB, or MLB for this regime. IN MY OPINION, they won’t break the bank for Milano when the time comes. 

They will value paying Edmunds, Tre, and Dawkins over him.... there’s also an obvious reason they occasionally get absolutely gashed in the run game. 

You're right.  Since McDermott doesn't  believe this is a premier position, Milano doesn't get on the field much.  We very rarely run nickel so why do we need a decent OLB?

No one ever said "break the bank" for him either.  That's your hyperbole.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/02/tom-brady-bill-belichick-patriots-nfl-comb?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

And so I’ll tell you what I know.

My understanding is that Brady is open to returning to the Patriots, under certain terms. Likewise, I’ve heard Belichick is open to bringing him back, under certain terms. What’s left is for the two to sit down and see if one guy’s terms can match the other guy’s terms.

If that isn’t in the offing, I’d think both guys will recognize it and move on. If it is, I don’t think doing a contract and getting Brady back in the fold will be difficult. 

So what we’ve all spent the last few weeks complicating isn’t really complicated at all. And until that simple discussion happens, it’s hard to be definitive, because I’m not sure Brady or Belichick themselves truly know what’s going to happen.

Makes sense. He goes into a lot more detail in the article. It’s an interesting read. 

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I’m in. Let’s roll.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yes please!! Add OBJ and the Bills are a legitimate Super Bowl threat. No questions asked, you make this move.

You guys know I'm for it. Totally opens up the draft too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yes please!! Add OBJ and the Bills are a legitimate Super Bowl threat. No questions asked, you make this move.

Blown away.... :)

The dude's a mental headcase going on his third team in 3 years and was erratic before that...  NOT going to get any blown away offers.

Cleveland traded for a lemonhead. :)  let's not help them out unless we are blown away with how little it will take...

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, hjnick said:

The dude's a mental headcase going on his third team in 3 years and was erratic before that...  NOT going to get any blown away offers.

Cleveland traded for a lemonhead. :)  let's not help them out unless we are blown away with how little it will take...

Exactly. Do not want.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, hjnick said:

23 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Exactly. Do not want.

This team needs top end playmakers. Odell Beckham is ABSOLUTELY that and exactly what the Bills need. You have to take some chances to get over the top. The Bills had a deal in place for Antonio Brown last year and he’s an infinitely worse person. You don’t get a chance at guys like this often. Beckham makes the Bills a contender.

We need to stop fearing talent and push the chips in. Windows don’t stay open long in this league. You need to role the dice sometimes and hope you’re right. The Chiefs have Tyreke Hill (WAY, WAY, WAY worse person). They also traded for Frank Clark (also a terrible person) and traded away Dee Ford. They made some ultra-aggressive decisions and won the Super Bowl.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

You only consider the move for OBJ if you’re McD and you think you can knock down OBJ’s ego a couple pegs and keep him in check.

Id consider a second and another pick, definitely not blowing Cleveland away. Looking for a buy low situation like Randy Moss from Oakland to NE.

Edited by eanyills

1 hour ago, hjnick said:

Bingo!

On 2/29/2020 at 3:17 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

And be FINE in cap shape moving forward. There really is no such thing as “cap problems” unless you’re totally incompetent.

Do you follow hockey?

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Could have been said it a lot less words...

it depends

Top this.

maybe

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

hasn't the franchise/transition tag been used barely at all in the past few years? why all of a sudden the mass rush to tag players?

Soon there will be nobody left in FA who might have been on the Bills radar.

?

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/29/2020 at 6:01 PM, DJB said:

Interesting I thought he had missed more. I know in the past he missed lots of time

He graded out well at pff. 78 overall

From Pro Football Reference.  2013, 2017 were bad years.
    Game Game Off. Off. ST ST
Year Age G GS Num Pct Num Pct
Care Care     5277   360
2012 23 9 9 577 52% 42 9%
2014 25 15 15 926 88% 83 19%
2015 26 12 12 807 70% 37 8%
2016 27 16 16 1056 97% 76 17%
2017 28 5 5 232 22% 16 4%
2018 29 14 14 781 73% 54 12%
2019 30 16 16 898 83% 52 12%

2 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Do you follow hockey?

Top this.

maybe

Hockey is much different. Contracts are fully guaranteed and teams cannot cut players (without their expressed consent) to get cap relief. The only way to get cap relief is through a trade or contract termination (which is relatively rare). 

7 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Hockey is much different. Contracts are fully guaranteed and teams cannot cut players (without their expressed consent) to get cap relief. The only way to get cap relief is through a trade or contract termination (which is relatively rare). 

Or to send them to the minors. They do risk losing them for nothing if they send them down.

giphy.gif

I wouldn't pay more than a 3rd for Odell. 

Doesn't scream "process guy" and to me hes still a "me" player and a

loose cannon

Let the Jets give up a first for him lol

Edited by DJB

15 hours ago, DCOrange said:

This I do not agree with. Milano has been very good, arguably great, when healthy. But if I'm hypothetically picking between paying Milano $13 million per year or paying Ngakoue $20 million per year, I think it's a toss-up and might lean towards Ngakoue.

As for Poyer & Hyde, they've both proven to be among the best safeties in the league. I don't think we will want to pay both of them; it's just too much to invest in the position.

I think LB and safety are both in play at #22 for us but we shall see in April.

Safety yes.  LB no.  CB also in play imo.  

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This team needs top end playmakers. Odell Beckham is ABSOLUTELY that and exactly what the Bills need. You have to take some chances to get over the top. The Bills had a deal in place for Antonio Brown last year and he’s an infinitely worse person. You don’t get a chance at guys like this often. Beckham makes the Bills a contender.

We need to stop fearing talent and push the chips in. Windows don’t stay open long in this league. You need to role the dice sometimes and hope you’re right. The Chiefs have Tyreke Hill (WAY, WAY, WAY worse person). They also traded for Frank Clark (also a terrible person) and traded away Dee Ford. They made some ultra-aggressive decisions and won the Super Bowl.

Tyreke and Frank might be bad people off the field, but have been good players and teammates.

ODB is a potential cancer in the locker room when he doesn't get the ball enough.  Supposedly, he was courting other teams while he was playing against them... that sounds like a guy that's all about himself.

Now, like you said, would I take that chance on ODB? Yes, if it's at my asking price, which for this year and this crop of WR's coming out... is LOW.  I'd rather take my chances on a college WR and roll the dice, plus I don't take the cap hit (~14MIL) with a rookie like I do with ODB.

2 hours ago, hjnick said:

Tyreke and Frank might be bad people off the field, but have been good players and teammates.

ODB is a potential cancer in the locker room when he doesn't get the ball enough.  Supposedly, he was courting other teams while he was playing against them... that sounds like a guy that's all about himself.

Now, like you said, would I take that chance on ODB? Yes, if it's at my asking price, which for this year and this crop of WR's coming out... is LOW.  I'd rather take my chances on a college WR and roll the dice, plus I don't take the cap hit (~14MIL) with a rookie like I do with ODB.

I agree that there’s risk but there is risk with the guys that I mentioned. Clark and Hill have been horrible human beings and if they were to repeat past behaviors would be suspended. Beckham doesn’t have that hanging over his head. The Bills had a deal for Antonio Brown last year. He’s worse on the field and off the field than Beckham!! He has  (to a lesser degree) the domestic issues of Hill and Clark. He also has been a HORRIBLE teammate. In addition to yelling for the ball, he ripped his QB, organization, young receiver, the league, etc... I know it to be true that the Bills had an agreement in place for him. He’s a bad guy. 

Beane knows that he needs ELITE playmakers not more playmakers. Personally, I’d give up 22 for Beckham in a second, especially if the top 3 receivers are gone (and I think a 2nd would get it done). While I think guys like Jefferson are going to be really good pros, I already know Beckham is. He’s a guy that they have to game plan against. He’d be the only guy besides Josh on the roster like that. With the Bills cap situation I have no issue with paying stars. OBJ is that.

In terms of fracturing a locker room the Bills leadership is strong. FWIW, Beckham’s teammates have always liked him. He just demands the ball. In a good locker room (which he has yet to see) he may actually be an even better player. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

18 hours ago, DCOrange said:

It's kind of weird how we have people insisting the Bills don't have enough cap space to bring in a free agent like Ngakoue and also have people arguing that we should not only bring in Ngakoue, but also roughly double the amount of money to do so by taking Foles too. A move like this would pretty much mean we're waiting on giving out the big extensions right? 

Would we need to wait one year before we could cut Foles or can the team that acquires him then immediately cut him and recognize cap savings? I can't remember exactly how it worked with the Osweiler deal.

Well I would assume a lot of people view signing Ngakoue nervously because it’ll be a long term deal. At this point, we have the ability to absorb the Nick Foles contract for one year, and basically have that money ready for 2021 extensions for Tre White and Dion Dawkins. 

I like Ngakoue. I believe Beane is willing to spend cap on an edge rusher. I don’t believe he’s willing to spend the cap AND draft capital though for one guy. 

Not a rumor, but the more I've thought about it, the more I think we might see Beane pursue Paul Richardson as a free agent. There were rumors we were one of the teams most interested in him back when he ultimately signed with Washington and he would make a lot of sense for us still today.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Not a rumor, but the more I've thought about it, the more I think we might see Beane pursue Paul Richardson as a free agent. There were rumors we were one of the teams most interested in him back when he ultimately signed with Washington and he would make a lot of sense for us still today.

I don't know about him specifically, but *that* is the type of FA WR I think Beane targets given the totality of circumstances and the state of the roster. In a Draft deep at WR, it makes a lot of sense to address the other areas that need improvement via FA and then use your Draft capital on the deepest position in the Draft. Only Beane et. al. know definitively what their approach will be, but IMHO, it just makes too much sense to do anything else....UNLESS, the Bills trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a good WR.

• Like (+1) 2