Todd Gurley trade talk from one reporter

Rc2catch

It's too bad that this guy may be done at such a young age.  Good for him that he got paid when he did.  A "no" for the Bills, even if the Rams threw in draft picks a la Osweiller.  I'd rather spend the cap space on Lawson and/or Phillips and draft a young, inexpensive RB in the middle rounds.

4 hours ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

No on Gurley

but I have often thought why not count the QBs contract as 50% of the salary against the cap. That would definitely allow to be able to keep homegrown players easier and would help free agents by being to get some more money. 

Or how about we set a hard cap on individual contracts.  25mil per season max on any contract.

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Gurley has some knee issues but dudes only 25, can he play second fiddle to singletary?

Uhhhh. No. He would instantly become the Bills number 1 back. Having said that, there is virtually zero chance that Todd Gurley will be a Buffalo Bill. 

But if his knees are diminished to the point that he's no better than DS, why in the world would we throw that kind of money around? May as well sign a bunch of low risk, high reward FA's and see what happens. Or go HARD for one of the premiere pass rushers.

I'll just add; I'm not sold on Devin as a gamechanging back. I think he's a really nice player and proved that he can make things happen, but his lack of true speed limit his potential.

DS will definitely play a role for the Bills in 2020, but I'd really like to see some "electric" offense weapons.

Edited by LSHMEAB

10 hours ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

No on Gurley

but I have often thought why not count the QBs contract as 50% of the salary against the cap. That would definitely allow to be able to keep homegrown players easier and would help free agents by being to get some more money. 

They are talking about that in the new CBa. Dont now the breakdown but they are talking about a QB salary cap and then a cap for everyone else

16 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Ok so before people flame away at this, I don’t normally start many topics but there’s been news out of LA from a reporter speculating that they of course want to trade Gurley away because they desperately need the cap and to get out from under his contract. 
However the only real way to trade him as a “salary dump” they need to add more value like draft pick compensation. 
How desperate are they? Robert Woods or Cooper Kupp desperate? 1st round picks desperate? 
Gurley has some knee issues but dudes only 25, can he play second fiddle to singletary? Would he be fresher/better in a time share where he’s not the #1? 
I know his contract is kind of ugly but it’s fairly easy to get out of in 2021 I believe with a 4 million dead cap hit (maybe some of you smarter cap guys can find more exact figures) 

I am not saying it’s a move we need to make, but I found it intriguing given our need for another running back and that Beane may be able to fleece them pretty good to take on that contract. 

The second part to it was hearing ESPN this morning discussing Mahomes contract coming up and how it’s been floated by owners to separate quarterbacks contracts from the salary cap. To create two salary caps for teams. One for strictly quarterbacks since the contracts are soaring so high and obviously the other cap to manage all other players on the team. 
Given our cap situation and Josh not needing that monster deal for a bit the Gurley thing made a little more sense if you can acquire a really big haul to take that contract. Best case scenario is he may play decent as well. 
Anyways I thought this would be a fun hypothetical kinda debate as to how a deal like that would work and what would be fair compensation to take on Gurley and that contract. 

https://itsgame7.com/los-angeles-rams-trading-todd-gurley/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts/jeremy-fowler-espn-nfl-quarterback-salary-cap-01e0ddyxpgyn

sorry if my links suck as I said I don’t normally do topics if someone else would prefer to have a discussion over this I can gladly delete mine 

Let's learn from some of the other teams on what NOT to do...

The Rams sank themselves with that Gurley contract, why help them out?  He will probably never again be like he was, so I'd rather have a rookie.

The Cowboys just signed Zeke.  There are rumblings that his production is starting to go down and NOW they need to sign Dak and try to sign Cooper.  So they signed him to bucu money and will be stuck with him.

How many more years will Henry be able to produce at a high level with high usage? 

Lesson Learned:  Do not fall in love with your RBs.  Sign a new rookie every year in the draft (or bring in alot of rookie FA's).  Keep a fresh stable of runners and after a couple of years, trade them if you can or let them go via FA.  Let some other team get stuck with them.

1 hour ago, hjnick said:

Let's learn from some of the other teams on what NOT to do...

The Rams sank themselves with that Gurley contract, why help them out?  He will probably never again be like he was, so I'd rather have a rookie.

The Cowboys just signed Zeke.  There are rumblings that his production is starting to go down and NOW they need to sign Dak and try to sign Cooper.  So they signed him to bucu money and will be stuck with him.

How many more years will Henry be able to produce at a high level with high usage? 

Lesson Learned:  Do not fall in love with your RBs.  Sign a new rookie every year in the draft (or bring in alot of rookie FA's).  Keep a fresh stable of runners and after a couple of years, trade them if you can or let them go via FA.  Let some other team get stuck with them.

Zeke had 1700 yards from scrimmage and 14 touchdowns last season. Maybe it’s time to stop listening to wherever your “rumblings” are coming from.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Ok so before people flame away at this, I don’t normally start many topics but there’s been news out of LA from a reporter speculating that they of course want to trade Gurley away because they desperately need the cap and to get out from under his contract. 
However the only real way to trade him as a “salary dump” they need to add more value like draft pick compensation. 
How desperate are they? Robert Woods or Cooper Kupp desperate? 1st round picks desperate? 
Gurley has some knee issues but dudes only 25, can he play second fiddle to singletary? Would he be fresher/better in a time share where he’s not the #1? 
I know his contract is kind of ugly but it’s fairly easy to get out of in 2021 I believe with a 4 million dead cap hit (maybe some of you smarter cap guys can find more exact figures) 

I am not saying it’s a move we need to make, but I found it intriguing given our need for another running back and that Beane may be able to fleece them pretty good to take on that contract. 

The second part to it was hearing ESPN this morning discussing Mahomes contract coming up and how it’s been floated by owners to separate quarterbacks contracts from the salary cap. To create two salary caps for teams. One for strictly quarterbacks since the contracts are soaring so high and obviously the other cap to manage all other players on the team. 
Given our cap situation and Josh not needing that monster deal for a bit the Gurley thing made a little more sense if you can acquire a really big haul to take that contract. Best case scenario is he may play decent as well. 
Anyways I thought this would be a fun hypothetical kinda debate as to how a deal like that would work and what would be fair compensation to take on Gurley and that contract. 

https://itsgame7.com/los-angeles-rams-trading-todd-gurley/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts/jeremy-fowler-espn-nfl-quarterback-salary-cap-01e0ddyxpgyn

sorry if my links suck as I said I don’t normally do topics if someone else would prefer to have a discussion over this I can gladly delete mine 

This is the kind of move a Miami makes.  Take the contract and a decent pick/player and let it be part of the rebuild - just like Cleveland did.  Does not mean it will work for them.

This is not a move a decent team that is coming off a playoff run and wants to grow and build a team long term makes.

So No for Buffalo.

Maybe for a Miami/Cincinnati team that is still players and a year or two away.

Edited by Rochesterfan

O how the mighty have fallen. A season ago McVay was being called a genius. People were celebrating how they built their team. I was being criticized for questioning their habit of throwing around money and calling Goff average.

The Rams are in deep doo-doo.

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They are talking about that in the new CBa. Dont now the breakdown but they are talking about a QB salary cap and then a cap for everyone else

Wow. QB salaries would go through the roof. There would have to be a separate cap just for them.

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

Zeke had 1700 yards from scrimmage and 14 touchdowns last season. Maybe it’s time to stop listening to wherever your “rumblings” are coming from.

Well unfortunately I live in the DFW area and listen to sports radio down here alot.

On 2/6/2020 at 12:02 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just one note that in the link above, the source is " predicts one ESPN reporter. "

Not "per source connected to the team"

Predicts.

One.

ESPN Reporter.

Essentially, at this point, it's one dude's speculation.

it does seem like pretty fair speculation. They are drowning, he’s a 3 ton weight whose not worth nearly as much as he’s getting, and they can’t get out of it without trading.

as for the OP. I would wonder how much of a dent this would cause our cap, but I do kind of like the idea if they’re willing to pay for us to take him. I doubt they will do that though, which means it’s unlikely they trade him.

I think people are looking at it wrong. Take off the name and what he should be and ask if you’re willing to pay 17 million dollars for a good (could be great) #2 option behind Singletary, and say a 3rd round pick. That to me is closer to worth it; but that’s still a whole lot of cheddar. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

yeah, heard about this.  I think it's a good idea, but it needs to be for all your QB's, not just your starter.  

Then if you go over that cap, it flows into your 'other cap' for everyone else.  Sounds kinda cool.

15 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I've seen that but how does that help teams without great QB's compete against those that have great QB's?

The system is fine the way it is.

If a Mahomes makes $50M then his team has less chips to improve other areas of their team which gives teams with lesser and less expensive QB'd teams a tool to help compete with them.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

it does seem like pretty fair speculation. They are drowning, he’s a 3 ton weight whose not worth nearly as much as he’s getting, and they can’t get out of it without trading.

as for the OP. I would wonder how much of a dent this would cause our cap, but I do kind of like the idea if they’re willing to pay for us to take him. I doubt they will do that though, which means it’s unlikely they trade him.

I think people are looking at it wrong. Take off the name and what he should be and ask if you’re willing to pay 17 million dollars for a good (could be great) #2 option behind Singletary, and say a 3rd round pick. That to me is closer to worth it; but that’s still a whole lot of cheddar. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/todd-gurley-16734/

Well, if I read the info correctly, Gurley still has 4 years left on his deal, free agent in 2024

His cap hit is:

YR  Cap Hit

20    17.2 MIL

21    13.2 MIL

22    14.2 MIL

23    12.5 MIL

That sounds like alot for a platooning RB.

Now, if like 'what' said AND they give us a great draft pick too, like a 2nd or 3rd round pick, you could in-essence split the cap hit over the 2 players (in your head).

Contract Notes:

• $21.95M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2018 salary)
  • 2019 salary fully guarantees on 3/15/2019
  • 2020 Roster Bonus: $7.55M (guarantees 3/15/2019)
  • 2020 salary fully guarantees on 3/20/2020
  • 2021 Roster Bonus: $5M (guarantees 3/20/2020, paid the 3rd league day of 2021)
  • 2022 Roster Bonus: $1M (due the 3rd league day of 2022)
  • 2022 Training Camp Bonus: $4M
  • 2023 Roster Bonus: $1M (due the 3rd league day of 2023)
  • 2023 Training Camp Bonus: $4M
  • 2023 Escalator: $2.5M
    $1M for 1,200+ rush yards, or 1,650 yards from scrimmage (exercised in 2018)
    $1.25M for NFL MVP or Offensive Player of the Year

Interesting question (bold) for all the salary cap experts.  The 2020 Roster bonus is coming up. Now, I'm assuming it will be paid on the 3rd league day of this upcoming 2020 season (March 21).  Now, if someone trades for Gurley and it happens AFTER that date, does that cost stay with the Rams or would it transfer over to the new team???

IF it stays w the Rams, it would be 7.55MIL less of a hit this year.

57 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think someone said earlier it was essentially a 2 year 22 million dollar contract to bring him here. I don’t know how correct that is I’m no capologist. 

It’s really only worth it if you can get something big packaged with him. 
In my crazy head I’m thinking Gurley and maybe a 1st rounder from LA, and buffalo just sends them like a 4th round pick and maybe a backup offensive lineman or something insignificant. 

In that kind of trade Gurley is really irrelevant. If he can play at a decent level 10 touches a game that’s just an added bonus. It’s just the compensation you are looking at. We can take the cap on no problem whatsoever and gain a rookie contract to pair with it. And if you fleece them for a first you cut Gurley after year two but still have that cost controlled first round pick for years to come at a crucial time when we actually need to spend a good portion of the cap. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2020 at 12:12 PM, Mark Vader said:

Good speculation. Gurley is a top notch RB, even though his knee issues are scary.

I'd rather draft another RB.

I agree. worth a few posts.
Does anyone really know if his knees were shot this year? or is something more to the story. as in want to move on from him somehow cuz monies.

I would be surprised if anyone thinks he is 1st string back anymore. and as mentioned getting out of the deal  is an option after a year or two.

This is one of the diligent thought processes Beane would do.

and does not preclude Bills from drafting a contrasting RB to Devin late round.

Even if the prediction is unfounded. it is worth a thought.

More likely his knees are shot though : ( 

Edited by 3rdand12

52 minutes ago, hjnick said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/todd-gurley-16734/

Well, if I read the info correctly, Gurley still has 4 years left on his deal, free agent in 2024

His cap hit is:

YR  Cap Hit

20    17.2 MIL

21    13.2 MIL

22    14.2 MIL

23    12.5 MIL

That sounds like alot for a platooning RB.

Now, if like 'what' said AND they give us a great draft pick too, like a 2nd or 3rd round pick, you could in-essence split the cap hit over the 2 players (in your head).

Contract Notes:

• $21.95M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2018 salary)
  • 2019 salary fully guarantees on 3/15/2019
  • 2020 Roster Bonus: $7.55M (guarantees 3/15/2019)
  • 2020 salary fully guarantees on 3/20/2020
  • 2021 Roster Bonus: $5M (guarantees 3/20/2020, paid the 3rd league day of 2021)
  • 2022 Roster Bonus: $1M (due the 3rd league day of 2022)
  • 2022 Training Camp Bonus: $4M
  • 2023 Roster Bonus: $1M (due the 3rd league day of 2023)
  • 2023 Training Camp Bonus: $4M
  • 2023 Escalator: $2.5M
    $1M for 1,200+ rush yards, or 1,650 yards from scrimmage (exercised in 2018)
    $1.25M for NFL MVP or Offensive Player of the Year

Interesting question (bold) for all the salary cap experts.  The 2020 Roster bonus is coming up. Now, I'm assuming it will be paid on the 3rd league day of this upcoming 2020 season (March 21).  Now, if someone trades for Gurley and it happens AFTER that date, does that cost stay with the Rams or would it transfer over to the new team???

IF it stays w the Rams, it would be 7.55MIL less of a hit this year.

I am clueless here to be honest.

So in 2021 he a 5 mill cap hit if Bills cut him?
or does the the contract Bills would inherit mean Bill have to pay him next four seasons. Cuz thats waaaaaay not good.

16 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That would be awesome because if there's one thing the NFL needs to do, it's to make sure teams with the top QBs get even more of an advantage than they do now.

:death:

His knee was a career ending injury, he just hasn't admitted it yet. He went from the most dominating back in the league to an incredibly pedestrian, dime a dozen backup overnight. Give me an undrafted FA instead

It's really sad, but at least he got paid.

Edited by BullBuchanan

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I agree. worth a few posts.
Does anyone really know if his knees were shot this year? or is something more to the story. as in want to move on from him somehow cuz monies.

I would be surprised if anyone thinks he is 1st string back anymore. and as mentioned getting out of the deal  is an option after a year or two.

This is one of the diligent thought processes Beane would do.

and does not preclude Bills from drafting a contrasting RB to Devin late round.

Even if the prediction is unfounded. it is worth a thought.

More likely his knees are shot though : ( 

I’m not entirely sure his knees are toast. 
But, he is not the same back he was two years ago. He’s no longer a special elite kind of back more than likely. 
I mentioned earlier losing Sullivan and Saffold killed their team and definitely their run game. 
The other backs on the team averaged the same YPC. 
And another big drop off was the passing game there to running backs. They didn’t have many completions at all to backs compared to years past. 

43 minutes ago, wppete said:

No thanks. Draft Zack Moss, Utah in this years 3rd round. He would be a perfect #2 to Singletary.

That’s twice you’ve said no thanks, we get it, but the whole point of this thread wasn’t about Gurley or his production. Or backup running back options.  It was simply if the contract was worth the possible compensation paired with it. And how desperate they may be to move him. Rather they paired another player with Gurley or a possible high draft pick to get someone to take the contract off their hands. 
Obviously nobody wants a 10+ million dollar backup running back who may have bum wheels. They theoretically could just inactive him like they did Yeldon. Obviously stupid, unless the compensation was over the top. 

• Like (+1) 2

Even if it is just speculation from a reporter at this point, I certainly can see why the Rams would want to move him. Trouble is no one in their right mind would take him with his current deal, not without some very attractive extra compensation attached to the trade. Rams ain’t got any of that, at least in the form of draft picks. 

38 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Even if it is just speculation from a reporter at this point, I certainly can see why the Rams would want to move him. Trouble is no one in their right mind would take him with his current deal, not without some very attractive extra compensation attached to the trade. Rams ain’t got any of that, at least in the form of draft picks. 

Yup. They’d have to trade a valuable player with him.... or McVay. ?

It's really a shame about Gurley's knee.  He's a Hall of Fame talent and was robbed of MVP in 2017-2018.

15 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Goff is a poor man’s Garoppolo, and Garoppolo just showed he’s never winning a Super Bowl no matter how good his supporting cast is.  Rams keep chasing high priced non-QB pieces to compensate for their $30m per year QB.  

Goff is way better than Garoppolo.  He would have hit Emmanuel Sanders in stride!