[Vague Title] Inferior roster

Coach55

I am so tired of all of the experts and commentators stating the Bills are winning in spite of an inferior roster.  Every team has its weaknesses, but what makes a player inferior - lack of name brand recognition?  It’s completely unfounded.  Yes, I think our TEs are weak and our receivers small, but all and all I will put our talent up against anyone.  If you use draft position as a theoretical potential of how “good” a player can be, let’s go down the list. 

Defense - 7 of the 11 starters were originally selected in the 1st round.  The only four not are Alexander (UDFA), Milano (5th), Hyde (5th) and Poyer (7th), all of which have proven to be pro bowl caliber players. 

Offense - not as prolific as our defense, but still pretty good:

1st - Allen

2nd - Dawkins, Ford, Knox, Morse

3rd - Singletary, Brown

4th - Feliciano

UDFA - Foster, Spain, Beasley 

All in all, we have an immense amount of talent, especially on defense.  I am fine not having the marquee names, but our roster is definitely not inferior. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

Levi Wallace was not drafted in the 1st round.  Still we do have high round caliber players on Defense.  Now we need to do the same on Offense. 

Exactly - having only one 1st-rounder on offense is close to bizarre in today's NFL.

I really hope they address that next year - WR seems obvious, but I'd take a dominant OL too.

Just keep winning and stay under the radar. Anyone that watches this team knows we are stacked with talent and they play for each other. This is a dangerous team and we are going to make some noise in the playoffs. It doenst matter what any of the national media or other fans say.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Coach55 said:

I am so tired of all of the experts and commentators stating the Bills are winning in spite of an inferior roster.  Every team has its weaknesses, but what makes a player inferior - lack of name brand recognition?  It’s completely unfounded.  Yes, I think our TEs are weak and our receivers small, but all and all I will put our talent up against anyone.  If you use draft position as a theoretical potential of how “good” a player can be, let’s go down the list. 

Defense - 7 of the 11 starters were originally selected in the 1st round.  The only four not are Alexander (UDFA), Milano (5th), Hyde (5th) and Poyer (7th), all of which have proven to be pro bowl caliber players. 

1st - Allen

3rd - Singletary, Brown

4th - Feliciano

All in all, we have an immense amount of talent, especially on defense.  I am fine not having the marquee names, but our roster is definitely not inferior. 

As Eric Wood said on the pregame the other day.......they lack a #1 WR that their young QB can just go to for a play when the defense is taking everything away..........that's their glaring weakness.   

But Carolina made it to a SB with Philly Brown and Ted Ginn as their top WR's.   You don't have to be stacked from top to bottom.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

Pro Bowl voting is a popularity contest in many ways with players who don't deserve it getting voted in for years on name recognition alone.  Who cares honestly?

The only reason that I am bothered by it is that these players often have bonuses and such tied to it. Take a guy like Jordan Phillips for example. He is 2nd in sacks for all DTs. Geno Atkins took a spot that should have gone to Phillips. I don’t know the depth of bonuses in his contract but say he had $250k riding on it. He should be angry.

It’s not so much that I am mad that people are selling the Bills short. I feel bad for the players that have earned this recognition and potentially money. We have some guys that should be there.

• Like (+1) 8

16 minutes ago, Coach55 said:

1st - Allen

3rd - Singletary, Brown

4th - Feliciano

The funny thing is that if Buffalo would have drafted Sam Darnold (USC), Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma) or Josh Rosen (UCLA) it would be a totally different story but because Josh Allen came from Wyoming it is what it is.

?

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As Eric Wood said on the pregame the other day.......they lack a #1 WR that their young QB can just go to for a play when the defense is taking everything away..........that's their glaring weakness.   

But Carolina made it to a SB with Philly Brown and Ted Ginn as their top WR's.   You don't have to be stacked from top to bottom.

Indeed they did, but Olsen had a fantastic year as Cam's favorite target.  That team was stacked at QB, Oline, TE, and RB.  Their wide receivers were crap.  

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The only reason that I am bothered by it is that these players often have bonuses and such tied to it. Take a guy like Jordan Phillips for example. He is 2nd in sacks for all DTs. Geno Atkins took a spot that should have gone to Phillips. I don’t know the depth of bonuses in his contract but say he had $250k riding on it. He should be angry.

It’s not so much that I am mad that people are selling the Bills short. I feel bad for the players that have earned this recognition and potentially money. We have some guys that should be there.

You know what would REALLY endear these players to the team?

Pay that bonus anyway.

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Pro Bowl voting is a popularity contest in many ways with players who don't deserve it getting voted in for years on name recognition alone.  Who cares honestly?

Yeah but, Brady didn't make it this year.  Gave me some faith in the process.

34 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I heard on the radio last night that Richard Sherman was getting a $1 mllion dollar bonus this year and a $1 million dollar raise for next year because of his selection.  Yesterday was a nice day at work for Mr. Sherman

Another tidbit I heard on this program is that Miami and NYJ were the only two teams without a selection :) 

Edited by Pokebball
  • Like (+1) 1

It's definitely not an inferior roster.  It just shows how much of the narrative is driven by star power and offense.

Our defense is absolutely loaded.  Hughes, Lawson, Oliver, Phillips, Edmunds, Milano, Hyde, Poyer, T. Johnson & White are all above average talents for their position.... That's almost our entire defense.

On offense, we have a young QB with an average-above average OL, above average RB but with no depth behind him and average-below average WR/TE's.

Our coaching is potentially elite.

1 hour ago, Coach55 said:

I am so tired of all of the experts and commentators stating the Bills are winning in spite of an inferior roster.  

Is anybody really saying this?  It's true that our roster doesn't have a lot of star power, but it has no weak links and is solid top-to-bottom with pretty good depth.  

41 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Indeed they did, but Olsen had a fantastic year as Cam's favorite target.  That team was stacked at QB, Oline, TE, and RB.  Their wide receivers were crap.  

Their offensive line had a big weakness though............Mike Remmers...........he was Jordan Mills bad and totally imploded in the SB. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Dude has been so bad they can't even give him a nod

Ain’t it s shame ?

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Their offensive line had a big weakness though............Mike Remmers...........he was Jordan Mills bad and totally imploded in the SB. 

He was so bad. I live in Charlotte... it was ugly around here.

I think the Bill's DO have an inferior roster.  They're still building. That's why they have all the cap room they have. 

I'm guessing next year there will be one or two new starters in the oline and one or two receivers.  There will be a new running back.  And there will be an upgrade or two on D. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills aren’t in a big market and they don’t have much in the way of national star power. It’s tough to leverage a CB for much of that - even one as stellar as White.  Their QB is from a FCS school and was considered very raw/flawed prospect coming out and in the NFL he doesn’t put up big passing numbers. Their other offensive players at skill positions aren’t big names.  They are not a sexy team at this point, but the team is winning and that is changing the national perspective.  Expect a lot more hype for this team leading up to 2020.  They’ll be a popular team for pundits to pump up  - especially with the likely departure of Brady and decline of the Cheatriots.

While I do expect a lot more love from the national media to be forthcoming, I think there is some hyperbole in this thread.  It wasn’t like they expected the Bills to be trash, they just didn’t expect them to be this good.  A lot of that has to do with Allen and his improvement.  

• Like (+1) 2

Our offense is bottom third in production.  Our defense, while amazing, is middle of the road in fantasy scoring.  We don't have a pass rusher putting up 20 sacks.  

Singletary and Brown are flying under the radar in an unspectacular offense.  Besides TreDavious our defense gets recognized as a whole.

3 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Levi Wallace was not drafted in the 1st round.  Still we do have high round caliber players on Defense.  Now we need to do the same on Offense. 

Sorry - I had Kevin Johnson starting - I had thought they had officially made the switch (my bad).  

Edited by Coach55

3 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

8 minutes ago, Coach55 said:

Sorry - I had Kevin Johnson starting - I had thought they had officially made the switch (my bad).  

And Knox was 3rd round, not 2nd.

On offense we have an inferior roster. On defense we have a lot of really good players. We do lack super stars, although Tre White has entered that category recently.

We need Allen and another offensive weapon to develop into elite players. Then we are golden.

• Like (+1) 2

Is there anything else we can possibly be offended by on here this week? 
Awful lot of whining going on for a playoff team. They can all stamp their marks this year and have an opportunity to gain a whole new set of fans. To give the media more to talk about. They’re starting to pay attention and recognize buffalo as a threat to the favored top teams. One step at a time guys. One game at a time. We have the ability to dominate at times and also lay a complete dud occasionally. Let Baltimore and Kansas City have all the love, as long as we beat them in the playoffs none of this other stuff matters. If you want to be treated like other teams you gotta beat them. I can understand we need things to chat about on here but we’re really nitpicking about being so offended over commentators and talking heads on tv shows and popularity votes. 
It’s Christmas, be thankful for what we have and not what we’re missing. For 20 years football is usually over for us before December even starts. Best fan base in the country in my opinion. Go Buffalo!! 

I don't buy the inferior roster notion.  I do think that on the offense, a fairly high number of players are pretty early in their learning curve.  : Allen, Singletary, Knox and Ford.  Three of those are rookies, and, of course, Allen is in just his second year.  Also being a completely rebuilt, (Allen and Dawkins being the only holdovers) achieving chemistry has been a process this season.  With a number of one and two year deals for the guards, Gore and Nsekhe, there will continue to be some turnover over the next couple years, but not nearly to the degree we had this year.  The decrease in turnover should result in increased production next season.