Pats get Sanu for Second Rounder

aristocrat

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Trouble is for Buffalo to become a real contender, they'd need to pull off about 4 of those moves, WR backup LB , pass rushing end, and maybe a RT unless Ford does settle in the 2nd half of the season.  For the Pats giving up a 2nd rounder is OK, but for the Bills, they need their picks.

Having said that do expect some type of trade, back up LB may be the most reasonable that likely wouldn't cost a fortune.

I don't think the Bills will be trading for a backup LB any time soon.  They seem to really like Corey Thompson and they didn't IR him after his foot surgery (though they are keeping mum on his timeline for return - mid to late November would be my guess).  As I understand it, Maurice Alexander is their 3rd string, and they may be furiously going over notes and film on other team's practice squads and FA to see if there's an upgrade for him they can sign.

Of course, I would swoon if we could trade for Von Miller.

I've said it before and will say it now: the real issue for the Bills this year (and I say this as someone who likes his potential) is the space between Allen's ears.  Bills will ride-or-die on whether he continues to progress in his game time abilities, or whether he backslides

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Patriots are now down to only 12 picks next year! 

- 1st round (own)
- 3rd round (own)
- 3rd round (projected compensatory pick: Trey Flowers)
- 3rd round (projected compensatory pick: Trent Brown)
- 4th round (via Chicago Bears)
- 6th round (via Houston Texans: Keion Crossen trade)
- 6th round (via Denver Broncos: Duke Dawson trade)
- 6th round (projected compensatory pick: Malcom Brown)
- 6th round (projected compensatory pick: Cordarrelle Patterson)
- 7th round (via Seattle Seahawks)
- 7th round (via Falcons)
- 7th round (via Philadelphia Eagles)

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He loves former Rutgers players 

He also loves guys who catch the balls thrown their way. Sanu's catch percentage the last four seasons with Atlanta is 71.4 percent, and he's at 78.6 percent this year. This is a very good addition to the Pats receiving corps. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd have considered trading for Sanu. I wanted us to sign him when he left Cincy as a FA. But a 2nd rounder? Rich for my tastes. 

Agreed, but let’s not forget this pick is probably still in the 60’s. It’s almost like a 3rd. 

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Patriots are now down to only 12 picks next year! 

- 1st round (own)
- 3rd round (own)
- 3rd round (projected compensatory pick: Trey Flowers)
- 3rd round (projected compensatory pick: Trent Brown)
- 4th round (via Chicago Bears)
- 6th round (via Houston Texans: Keion Crossen trade)
- 6th round (via Denver Broncos: Duke Dawson trade)
- 6th round (projected compensatory pick: Malcom Brown)
- 6th round (projected compensatory pick: Cordarrelle Patterson)
- 7th round (via Seattle Seahawks)
- 7th round (via Falcons)
- 7th round (via Philadelphia Eagles)

That is a BOATLOAD of 6th and 7th rounders!

47 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

He’s a good player, doesn’t scare me to say but he def makes them better. Dude can throw too, watch them trick plays.

Good call. Between him and Little Julian, they will definitely have some trick plays in now. Sanu probably has a stronger arm than Brady at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wow that’s an over pay.  Way better WRs have been traded for less.  I like Sanu, but no way would I have wanted to give up a 2nd round pick for him.

They still have 12 picks! Draft picks are overrated anyway, as the Pats have shown year after year after year.

When I first got the text alert it said “Pats* get veteran receiver from Falcons for 2nd round pick.” 

I gasped, thinking the Pats just acquired Julio Jones.

Much to my relief, I later learned the player dealt was Sanu. 

I have never thought Sanu was all that good. He has a good game here or there, but overall doesn’t do much.

Am I the only one that thinks giving up a second round pick for him is over paying? That’s a high pick for an average receiver. But I know, he will be the next Randy Moss on NE. 

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter.  Brady will throw to the open receiver no matter who it is and 9 times out of 10 that receiver catches the ball and the chains move.  The only way to stop Brady is to limit his ability to find the open receiver...like the Bills did.  The Pats D is playing lights out, but look at the QBs they've faced.  Someone posted in another thread that they'd like to see NE against a legit offense.   Unfortunately, we may have to wait until the Super Bowl for that to happen.

23 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

When I first got the text alert it said “Pats* get veteran receiver from Falcons for 2nd round pick.” 

I gasped, thinking the Pats just acquired Julio Jones.

Much to my relief, I later learned the player dealt was Sanu. 

I have never thought Sanu was all that good. He has a good game here or there, but overall doesn’t do much.

Am I the only one that thinks giving up a second round pick for him is over paying? That’s a high pick for an average receiver. But I know, he will be the next Randy Moss on NE. 

He caught 71.4 percent of the passes thrown his way during his time in Atlanta (and 79 percent this year). He's also big, durable, and coachable. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think the Bills will be trading for a backup LB any time soon.  They seem to really like Corey Thompson and they didn't IR him after his foot surgery (though they are keeping mum on his timeline for return - mid to late November would be my guess).  As I understand it, Maurice Alexander is their 3rd string, and they may be furiously going over notes and film on other team's practice squads and FA to see if there's an upgrade for him they can sign.

Of course, I would swoon if we could trade for Von Miller.

I've said it before and will say it now: the real issue for the Bills this year (and I say this as someone who likes his potential) is the space between Allen's ears.  Bills will ride-or-die on whether he continues to progress in his game time abilities, or whether he backslides

I picked LB mainly of the 4 areas I feel they need to improve backup LB would likely cost them the least draft capitol to get someone.   I really don't want to give up anything lower than a 4th round pick as feel they will need the top 3 picks next year.

3 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

The Bills are playing to win the 2021 Super Bowl, not this year's Super Bowl.  They have a TON of cap space for next year and are being realistic.  They are not going to go on a 4 game winning streak in the playoffs this year with wins at Houston or Indianapolis, then beat a rested Patriots, then beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead, and then beat a team like the Saints in the Super Bowl.  It is not happening.  What we learned from the Dolphins game is the Bills are a playoff team, they are not a Championship caliber team.  

Then that’s a mistake. The AFC has never been this wide open and we already 5-1. Nothing in this league is a given, you live for the now. Also you have a lot of very good players on affordable contracts. This is the year to worry about 

15 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Then that’s a mistake. The AFC has never been this wide open and we already 5-1. Nothing in this league is a given, you live for the now. Also you have a lot of very good players on affordable contracts. This is the year to worry about 

To a degree , I’ll concur. The AFC is weak this year and each season is really it’s own thing. Next year’s schedule looks much more difficult, for example. They need to improve their chances for success this season while not mortgaging the future or depleting upcoming drafts too much. It’s a balance, but it can and should be done. If the Bills don’t make a move by the deadline, they’re not being serious about this year’s playoffs or even possibly winning the division. 

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Clearly, you have no idea what that term means and using it here is inappropriate.

You obviously just assume the term is a reference to a illness or disorder only which is pretty sad. His Screen name and reply are total extremities or polar opposites.

Stop playing Mod, the use is not inappropriate. 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is a really good point, though why the Falcons would go for it is opaque to me. 

Pats have $2.4M in cap space currently per OTC.    Sanu gets $6M this year or $375k/game, $3.375M for 9 games.  So the Pats need to clear nearly $1M in cap space unless he re-negotiates.

The Falcons aren't exactly swimming in cap space, though, so why on earth would they go for it? 

I'm gonna say Pats have to deal with their own cap, and they had to give up a 2nd 'cuz Dimitroff laughed and said "let me put you on hold while I take this call" when they offered less.

11 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

You obviously just assume the term is a reference to a illness or disorder only which is pretty sad. His Screen name and reply are total extremities or polar opposites.

Stop playing Mod, the use is not inappropriate. 

If you have a loved one with that illness you'd think twice before blindly applying that label. 

Have a nice day.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I’d give a first for Golladay right now. I wish Detroit was selling off pieces.

Golladay is one of my favorite non bills players. 

I mentioned yesterday about bills trades and Atlanta should be selling off some pieces minus Julio and Ridley. I can see buffalo swinging at Vic Beasley as a one year rental maybe hoping to get some pass rush out of him. It would be a cheap get like a 5 or 6 or something really low since Beasley is making a ton this year and is the last year of his deal. If I had my choice I’d get deion Jones but I don’t think he’s available. 

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

They still have 12 picks! Draft picks are overrated anyway, as the Pats have shown year after year after year.

Thats true, and it makes sense for them.  I would not have wanted to give up one of our seconds though, I dont think he makes enough difference for us and would rather use that pick to move up and get a stud in the draft to go with this young roster.  NE is in must win now mode with Brady so old.  

4 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

The Bills are playing to win the 2021 Super Bowl, not this year's Super Bowl.  They have a TON of cap space for next year and are being realistic.  They are not going to go on a 4 game winning streak in the playoffs this year with wins at Houston or Indianapolis, then beat a rested Patriots, then beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead, and then beat a team like the Saints in the Super Bowl.  It is not happening.  What we learned from the Dolphins game is the Bills are a playoff team, they are not a Championship caliber team.  

Yeah this is fitting. Only way you're seeing a trade is if it helps bigtime next year too and were not overpaying. Would be nice to get a guy in here now though and have this season and a full offseason to get acclimated. Seems WR is probably the toughest position to adapt to whether from trade or a draft

This is a really good point, though why the Falcons would go for it is opaque to me. 

Pats have $2.4M in cap space currently per OTC.    Sanu gets $6M this year or $375k/game, $3.375M for 9 games.  So the Pats need to clear nearly $1M in cap space unless he re-negotiates.

The Falcons aren't exactly swimming in cap space, though, so why on earth would they go for it? 

I'm gonna say Pats have to deal with their own cap, and they had to give up a 2nd 'cuz Dimitroff laughed and said "let me put you on hold while I take this call" when they offered less.

The Falcons won’t be swimming in cap space until Ryan and Julio are gone, so it doesn’t really matter.

Edited by FireChans

1 minute ago, Estro said:

I think it's a fairly steep price for a 30 year old WR.  I thought he was a guy you could get for maybe a 4th......I'm actually impressed that the Falcons got a 2nd for him.

Pats don’t have a third and a Pats Fourth be to low compared anyone else’s.. besides the Pats are in win Now mode.  Next year we can stink and get the best QB I have seen in ages out of Clemson. Lol

39 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Pats don’t have a third and a Pats Fourth be to low compared anyone else’s.. besides the Pats are in win Now mode.  Next year we can stink and get the best QB I have seen in ages out of Clemson. Lol

I thought the best new QB anyone's seen in ages was already wearing a Pats uniform in Stidham?  At least my Pats fan friend (yes I have 'em) told me they're very high on him.

40 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Falcons won’t be swimming in cap space until Ryan and Julio are gone, so it doesn’t really matter.

What's the logic here?  If their cap is limited and they know they need pieces, why on earth would they trade a player but agree to keep his salary on their books?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought the best new QB anyone's seen in ages was already wearing a Pats uniform in Stidham?  At least my Pats fan friend (yes I have 'em) told me they're very high on him.

I like Stidham but only a dang fool knows one way or the other right now.  He could start next year (if Brady retires) and light it up, but more likely he will stink it up and be run out of town because he isn’t As good as Brady.. ( sorta like the Bills after Kelly hard replace a living legend in the area)

8 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

And now we’ll see the media hype a guy with a career high of 830 yds as a top ten wr..... just because the Pats dealt for him. 

Lol he will work well in the Pats system.  He also has never been a primary target.. so 830 yards is pretty good lol

What's the logic here?  If their cap is limited and they know they need pieces, why on earth would they trade a player but agree to keep his salary on their books?

They don’t need pieces. They are trying to rebuild as best they can with Ryan and Julio’ albatross contracts I think. 

They are are in real cap hell. Their hands are really tied down there.

Edited by FireChans