Really stretching it trying to blame Allen for the pick 6....

Billsfan1972

3 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

He threw a heater at his feet.

We’re on to the Giants.

My god, I wish more fans were as intelligent as you. It was a misplaced heater and the QB is not to blame?

Edited by Bevis

1 minute ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

He threw a heater at his feet.

We’re on to the Giants.

I don't blame either guy too much. Josh had too much heat on it,  but was trying to put it where only Beasley could make a play on it. Beasley knows better than to do a tip-drill in that area of the field, but it hit his knee - it happens.

I think what I thunk before and that is that Josh is a competitor and needs to do something to level out the adrenaline at the beginning of games. That is why I think Daboll should just have a bunch of designed roll outs and such early to help him settle down and take some of the sauce off those early throws.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, geggytah said:

Cole would've been LIT UP if that was thrown higher. See the two LBs RIGHT BEHIND him? A low throw is actually good placement there.

Yeah and he would’ve caught the ball with that placement if we would’ve taken a little off of it.  The hit wouldn’t have been any worse 

NFL receivers are supposed to catch catchable balls, even if they are not perfect.  Anyone who says the ball was not catchable is not dealing in reality.  The doink off the knee into the arms of defender was just a fluke and bad luck.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Bevis said:

My god, I wish more fans were as intelligent as you. It was a misplaced heater and the QB is not to blame?

Are you watching the Saints/Texans game?  Watson just threw two short passes over the middle LOW.  This is by design for where they're throwing the ball.  It has to be a heater because it's in the middle of the field.  A slow throw is picked or deflected. 

In the picture the THREE Jet defenders look far away but in real speed they are on top of the play.  LOW & FAST is the ONLY way to put the ball in there.  That was also a running play disguised as a pass.  It was 1st down and you hit that quick throw for a 5 yard gain which is a great 1st down pick-up running the ball.

Edited by CincyBillsFan

The ball was catchable, but it could have been a better throw.

It's on both of them and they've each taken the blame themselves. The best part is that they moved on and didn't let it mess up the rest of their game.

• Thank you (+1) 3

Could the throw have been better?  Yes.  Should a very good NFL WR catch that ball?  Yes.  It is what it is.

If you look at things honestly, you could technically say that 3 of the 4 turnovers Allen had were not on him if you wanted.  The first fumble was.  He has to secure that ball.  But the others could be just chalked up to bad luck.  A WR drop bounces right to the defender.  The Center has an absolutely awful snap that never got to Allen. And tipped ball that goes for a pick (it happens). 

Stupid stuff happens sometimes and, in this case, they happened one right after another.  Clean that stuff up, get some decent luck, and we win this game by 2-3 scores at least.  Time to move on to the Giants.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Beasley 4.jpg

No NFL receiver should drop that ball.....  He's paid $10,000,000/yr because he is a sure handed possession receiver.  

But if you want to see Allen fail, then I guess it was his fault.....

FWIW, Allen took the blame for that, saying he threw it low.  It's a catchable ball,  but no throw where the WR needs to do a deep knee bend to adjust would be scored as a "drop" let alone "no NFL receiver should drop".   At best, it's a split between the two of them.

My view, which I'll verify or refute on the all-22, is perhaps that was not the best read on the play.  Allen had a clean pocket to step into, and both a seam route coming open and (pretty sure) Motor Singletary releasing with 4 D eyes on Beas and a ton of turf around him.  Allen had been making similar throws on the previous series including I'm pretty sure that identical throw to Brown, and the Jets were all over it.

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Are you watching the Saints/Texans game?  Watson just threw two short passes over the middle LOW.  This is by design for where they're throwing the ball.  It has to be a heater because it's in the middle of the field.  A slow throw is picked or deflected. 

In the picture the THREE Jet defenders look far away but in real speed they are on top of the play.  LOW & FAST is the ONLY way to put the ball in there.  That was also a running play disguised as a pass.  It was 1st down and you hit that quick throw for a 5 yard gain which is a great 1st down pick-up running the ball.

There is space between a "slow throw" and a heater.  Beasley talked about how he worked with Allen on touch all pre season - since he can't see Allen, he has to have time to see the ball.  He said Allen had gotten it, but my guess is with the "ginger" of a live game that ball had a bit more "zing" than Beas was used to.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

That pick six was all on Beasley.  He’s paid to catch balls, especially ones that hit him right in his hands. 

Err, not if he has to lower his hands that drastically to be hit in them.  Plenty of responsibility to go around, and to do both parties credit, they both took it.

• Like (+1) 2

Rarely is any play's outcome solely on one player. Allen could have thrown a better ball. Beasley could have done a better job of catching it or batting it down if he couldn't.

Any other factors? Better play call? Was someone on the OL losing ground on their defender? <-- These aren't actual questions that need answers. They are additional possible factors for any pass play.

So we are at 50/50 just looking at the high level of the play.

A tiny bit low, a tiny bit on the side. 

Could have been been worse but Shirley could have been better.

oh well, off to week 2

Edit - Shirley was an odd autocorrect for Beasley, but gonna leave it be ;)

Edited by Nester
  • Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, geggytah said:

Cole would've been LIT UP if that was thrown higher. See the two LBs RIGHT BEHIND him? A low throw is actually good placement there.

Yes, but that's too low.  And he's going to get lit up anyway if he catches it, just like Brown did about 4-5 plays earlier, but that's part of his job description.

A lot of the most memorable catches in NFL history were from throws that were less than perfect.  The QBs main job is getting a ball out so that the receiver can make a play.

Not an easy catch for Cole, to be sure.  But even he is probably thinking he should have snagged it.

I don’t blame picks like that on the QB.  The ones that concern me are those that are easy picks for the D - telegraphed, or completely misunderstanding the coverage.  I don’t expect a QB to anticipate a catchable ball getting tipped into an easy pick.

46 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Talk about overthinking a situation..... I’m sure both of the players, Beasley and Allen, would say they both could have played that one better.  The “W” is in the column. Move on....

this is the Correct answer Bill.

3 minutes ago, Success said:

A lot of the most memorable catches in NFL history were from throws that were less than perfect.  The QBs main job is getting a ball out so that the receiver can make a play.

Not an easy catch for Cole, to be sure.  But even he is probably thinking he should have snagged it.

I don’t blame picks like that on the QB.  The ones that concern me are those that are easy picks for the D - telegraphed, or completely misunderstanding the coverage.  I don’t expect a QB to anticipate a catchable ball getting tipped into an easy pick.

and then do what with the catch?

he knew he was screwed and just wanted to hunker down. Allen knew he was screwed and put it in a safe spot so Cole could fall forward and not get his head removed.

as said

tough situation. moving on

4 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

You know what the best is outta all of this is?  Both players are taking the blame.  The team culture alone, will get this team a win or two.

and we still won !

On a play like that, a very good QB usually makes a better throw. Nobody's perfect, though, so let's cut Josh some slack.

If he makes an imperfect throw - catchable but not well-placed - then a very good receiver usually makes the catch anyway. Again, nobody's perfect, so let's cut Beasley some slack.

Sometimes a less-than-optimal throw happens on the same play as an imperfect catch. That was one of those plays.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

My 1st thought when I saw this was is Mike Francessa going to tell us tomorrow how inaccurate Watson is, throwing all those low passes that can be returned for pick 6s.  

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW, Allen took the blame for that, saying he threw it low.  It's a catchable ball,  but no throw where the WR needs to do a deep knee bend to adjust would be scored as a "drop" let alone "no NFL receiver should drop".   At best, it's a split between the two of them.

My view, which I'll verify or refute on the all-22, is perhaps that was not the best read on the play.  Allen had a clean pocket to step into, and both a seam route coming open and (pretty sure) Motor Singletary releasing with 4 D eyes on Beas and a ton of turf around him.  Allen had been making similar throws on the previous series including I'm pretty sure that identical throw to Brown, and the Jets were all over it.

And this is why Allen will be a great NFL QB IMO.  He takes responsibility.  If he could have made a better throw, and yes he could have here, he doesn't care what the receiver does if something goes wrong, Allen takes the responsibility.  It shows a maturity way beyond his years.  And even if Allen makes a perfect throw here and the ball pops up for a pick 6 he would NOT throw Beasley under the bus. 

The one thing the all-22 won't tell us is if Allen even had an option go anywhere else as long as Beasley was open.  It was a 1st down play and the Bills were using these quick hitter passes as a substitute for running the football.  I suspect that this was one of those pass plays that's really a "running play".  That is throw a quick hit to pick up 5 yards.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Err, not if he has to lower his hands that drastically to be hit in them.  Plenty of responsibility to go around, and to do both parties credit, they both took it.

There was nothing extraordinary that Beasley had to do catch that ball and was already on the ground waiting to catch the pass. He just muffed it. And the interception was just dumb bad luck. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Success said:

No it was an easy catch.....  Middle of the field not going to get drilled looking at the qb.....  

Couldn't stand the announcers blaming Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

It's Receiving 101 that if you aren't going to catch it make it so no one else can but sh*t happens. Both can share the blame. What was it maybe the 3rd pass he's ever thrown to the guy in a live game. 

-First game of the year

- Many new faces on offense

- On the road playing a tough defense, decision rival none the less

- QB hasn't even started a full season yet

- please legalize marijuana