Best ever NFL running back

I have to say Adrian Peterson impresses me the most due to the extreme athleticism on defense in his era and the fact that the NFL turned into a passing league with RB by committee. I doubt people will recognize how special he was as a runner until 20 years from now when no runningback comes close to duplicating his production. I don’t think we will see another RB that productive, for that long, in our lifetimes. He marks the end of the historic RBs.

Edited by Troll Toll
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Chris Johnson's 2009 season is my pick for best ever I think

10 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would put OJ's 2000 yards in a 14 game season up against anyone's best.

I'll take DIckerson's 1850 all purpose yards his first 7 years straight over either

Edited by Real McCoy

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

I'll take DIckerson 1850 all purpose yards his first 7 years straight over either

I mean, it's hard to argue AGAINST Dickerson or any of these guys because sheer statistics don't tell the complete story; so many variables. I will say this. The all time leading rusher is DEFINITELY not the best running back of all time.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I mean, it's hard to argue AGAINST Dickerson or any of these guys because sheer statistics don't tell the complete story; so many variables. I will say this. The all time leading rusher is DEFINITELY not the best running back of all time.

Agree 100% on that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Roch Jim said:

JIm Brown---hands down. Led the league in rushing 8 of his 9 years. Averaged 100 yards a game. Not flashy like Barry just brutally effective

Oh, and the season he didn't lead the league, he played most od the season with a broken wrist.  Brown had a vicious stiff arm, and with a broken wrist he lost that weapon.  

He was the best.  

I started watching football in 1960 and when I stop to think of the number of tremendous RBs I've seen, many mentioned above. And all worthy of support for GOAT.  I can only say that Brown stood out for me over a career.  Not by a mile, but he was just amazing.

36 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Jim Brown easily.

Honorable mention

Dickerson

Gale Sayers (damn shame)

It's so hard to compare them.  I was going to mention Sayers if no one else did.  Sayers was unbelievable.  His style was different from Sanders, but he was the only guy other than Sanders who week after did things that you'd never seen anyone else do.  

And Dickerson, like Campbell, had a short career but was spectacularly good in his prime. 

Still, it's Brown.  People can day he was playing against smaller guys than now, but it doesn't matter.  Jim Taylor was the second best in that era, he was as big as Brown, but there was no comparison.  Brown was the most punishing back in the league and he was the fastest player in the league.  He would be as big a star today as he was then. 

• Like (+1) 2

Easy to get down to two.  Its Barry Sanders or OJ.

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bo Jackson and Jim Brown are two best IMO

Your opinion is wrong.?

1 hour ago, Roch Jim said:

JIm Brown---hands down. Led the league in rushing 8 of his 9 years. Averaged 100 yards a game. Not flashy like Barry just brutally effective

Dude Sanders did what he did playing behind our Oline from last year and Peterman for a QB his whole carry if that helps you figure it out.

I’ll take Brown. Big, powerful, shifty, had to be gang tackled, break away speed, ball security and could run either between the tackles or outside!!

Sanders had all the moves and was great to watch. Classy guy!! Just flipped the ball to a ref after scoring! Loved that about him!

Would have loved to have seen Bo Jackson play longer!!! He was dominating and could do it all.

23 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's so hard to compare them.  I was going to mention Sayers if no one else did.  Sayers was unbelievable.  His style was different from Sanders, but he was the only guy other than Sanders who week after did things that you'd never seen anyone else do. 

Sayers, had he never blown his knees out, possibly would have gone down as the best. He was simply the best offensive weapon of his era until injuries undid his career. On top of his running you have to factor in his ability to return kicks and catch the ball. His patience and field vision was top 3, and when coupled with his patience and athleticism... The man was a freak and as fluid of an athlete as there ever was.

A 6 touchdown game. A career kick return average over 30 yards. A rookie season of over 2,200 yards with 22 touchdowns... Everyone should watch that Chicago vs San Francisco game. I’ve never seen anything like it... Sayers made everyone else on the field look like they were in slow motion. 

9 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Easy to get down to two.  Its Barry Sanders or OJ.

Your opinion is wrong.?

Dude Sanders did what he did playing behind our Oline from last year and Peterman for a QB his whole carry if that helps you figure it out.

Are you old enough to have seen Brown play?

9 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Come on man. ?. Lomas Brown was an all pro tackle. Kevin Glover was a probowler Center. Herman Moore was an all pro wideout. Kramer and Peete were both infinitely better than Peterman. The Lions had some weapons, and the offensive line wasn’t that bad until Sanders last two seasons. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would put OJ's 2000 yards in a 14 game season up against anyone's best.

No doubt.  Dickerson's single season too, but  yeah, that 14-game season makes a huge difference.  

• Like (+1) 1

Let me just say this: It is my opinion that the Bills have the greatest "all time" running back depth chart of any NFL team. No one can touch them.

OJ Simpson (HOF)
Thurman Thomas (HOF)
Marshawn Lynch
LeSean McCoy
Frank Gore (almost certain HOF)
Cookie Gilchrist

Given that Gore is all but certain to be a Hall of Famer (he's top 5 in all time rushing yards), what other NFL team can boast having had three HOF running backs on their roster at one time or another?

Closest I can think of would be Cowboys, Raiders, Bears and Browns, but I'll take the Bills' all time running back depth chart over any other team's.

Oh...and my vote for the OP goes to Jim Brown. The best there is, best there was, and best there ever will be (apologies to The Hitman).

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

Great discussions here, really expected to see everyone agree on Barry here but cases can be made for a couple. 

For me I would have to say Barry Sanders. The NFL probably won’t see another talent like him at RB. Walter gets a nod from me as well. Either of those two I can’t argue with. 

Anyone who says Emmitt should be kicked off the board ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Are you old enough to have seen Brown play?

Ive watched enough highlight.  He is definitely one of the greatest backs.  But it is Barry Sanders.  I think if he kept playing he would be the alltime rushing leader in a league that they passed a bit more in.

Brown also played behind good lines.  Barry Sanders lines were a joke.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Watching the NFL for 50 years, in my opinion:

1. Barry Sanders - unequivocally the best that I've ever seen

2. Earl Campbell- nobody could tackle this beast and he was very fast as well.

3. OJ Simpson - simply unstoppable on a one dimensional team (no passing game)

Good list

Mine goes...

1 Barry

2 Ladainian Tomlinson

3 OJ

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And he did all that in an era where the passing game was much more of a factor.  Brown did it when all they did was run.  

I would have thought Sanders being in the passing era would have opened up the game for him.   However, he played for the Lions and I don't think they had a passing game.  For me Barry was the better running back but Brown was far ahead of the other players of his era.  Kind of like Babe Ruth was far ahead of the other players in his era.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sven233 said:

Depends on what you're looking for.  Barry Sanders was the best that I saw, but you could make arguments from Jim Brown, OJ, Walter Payton, Bo Jackson or a bunch of other guys.  You could make a great argument for Thurman with the way he could run it, catch it, and block.  Thurman might be the best all around back ever.  Just depends on what you want in your RB.

Nope, couldn’t. It hurts to say but Marshall Faulk was simply a better version of Thurman Thomas....  

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Nope, couldn’t. It hurts to say but Marshall Faulk was simply a better version of Thurman Thomas....  

Wow I couldn't disagree more! I just said compared the two with work buddies last week. I made the same statement in reverse. Difference of opinion is all, both were outstanding.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Come on man. ?. Lomas Brown was an all pro tackle. Kevin Glover was a probowler Center. Herman Moore was an all pro wideout. Kramer and Peete were both infinitely better than Peterman. The Lions had some weapons, and the offensive line wasn’t that bad until Sanders last two seasons. 

Peterman was an exageration but it takes 5 to make a line.

2 hours ago, mrags said:

As it stands, Barry Sanders. But had we been able to witness Bo Jackson over a full career, he would have put the argument to bed and nobody would ever be close. He was just dominant. But, like I said, as it stands right now; is Barry 

I'm glad Bo got a mention.  He is, to this day, the most dominate running back I've ever seen play the game; not a long enough career to call him the greatest, but certainly the most imposing.  The man just did whatever he wanted.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Oldfan said:

You can’t go wrong with any of the great backs

My vote is for Walter Payton

Have to start there. Barry was unique, but he never seemed to carry the team like the greats. 

Zeke carries the cowboys more than Barry carried the lions. 

Im between he an Emmitt. That guy was a guaranteed 2-3 yards at worst every time he touched it. So productive, for so long.  He always found an extra 2 yds or more when no one else would have.