Best ever NFL running back

In Buffalo we have had our fair share of phenomenal RB’s.  So, think league wide who was the best ever?  I would have to vote for Barry Sanders.  The guy really had no other real help in his career.  It is simply amazing to see some of the moves he could make.  Take a look at his highlights then tell the rest of us who has your vote.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/all-time-greats/0ap3000000940393/Barry-Sanders-career-highlights-NFL-Legends

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Watching the NFL for 50 years, in my opinion:

1. Barry Sanders - unequivocally the best that I've ever seen

2. Earl Campbell- nobody could tackle this beast and he was very fast as well.

3. OJ Simpson - simply unstoppable on a one dimensional team (no passing game)

• Like (+1) 7

Earl Campbell. Maybe not the longest prime because of his brushing style but he was incredibly dominant despite having very little help. Teams just could not get him on the ground.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

Depends on what you're looking for.  Barry Sanders was the best that I saw, but you could make arguments from Jim Brown, OJ, Walter Payton, Bo Jackson or a bunch of other guys.  You could make a great argument for Thurman with the way he could run it, catch it, and block.  Thurman might be the best all around back ever.  Just depends on what you want in your RB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Its without question:  Barry Sanders.  

I get all the Brown hype, but thats like saying Wilt Chamberlain was the best Center ever...he was not.  Brown had such a physical advantage and led the NFL rushing many times because of it.  But he was not the most talented RB to ever play.  

Barry was most talented RB the NFL has ever seen and may ever see.  And he did it on terrible teams behind terrible OL's every single year.  Yet he would be atop the record books as the all time leading rusher had he not retired young.  And he did all that in an era where the passing game was much more of a factor.  Brown did it when all they did was run.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

brown was a machine. sanders, man, the moves. OJ, no need to explain, greatness on the field. walter payton, sweetness. past players off the top of my head.

hard to say of any present rbs that will be considered in the greatest conversation, but there are a few out there.

but when speaking of the best ever, I too would go with sanders. 

Watch on YouTube

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, custcarcen said:

BROWN. Your loss if you didn't see him. At that time the Browns game was the one we saw each week.

I remember this,also, growing up in Niagara Falls. Not only was Jim Brown the greatest running back of all time, in my opinion he is the greatest football player of all time. He had to be seen to be appreciated! 

• Like (+1) 4

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

In Buffalo we have had our fair share of phenomenal RB’s.  So, think league wide who was the best ever?  I would have to vote for Barry Sanders.  The guy really had no other real help in his career.  It is simply amazing to see some of the moves he could make.  Take a look at his highlights then tell the rest of us who has your vote.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/all-time-greats/0ap3000000940393/Barry-Sanders-career-highlights-NFL-Legends

I'd agree with that, especially if we're talking about longetivity as part of the mix.  

If we're talking single best season there's lots of room for debate.