Best ever NFL running back

9 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Dude Sanders did what he did playing behind our Oline from last year and Peterman for a QB his whole carry if that helps you figure it out.

Come on man. ?. Lomas Brown was an all pro tackle. Kevin Glover was a probowler Center. Herman Moore was an all pro wideout. Kramer and Peete were both infinitely better than Peterman. The Lions had some weapons, and the offensive line wasn’t that bad until Sanders last two seasons. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would put OJ's 2000 yards in a 14 game season up against anyone's best.

No doubt.  Dickerson's single season too, but  yeah, that 14-game season makes a huge difference.  

• Like (+1) 1

Let me just say this: It is my opinion that the Bills have the greatest "all time" running back depth chart of any NFL team. No one can touch them.

OJ Simpson (HOF)
Thurman Thomas (HOF)
Marshawn Lynch
LeSean McCoy
Frank Gore (almost certain HOF)
Cookie Gilchrist

Given that Gore is all but certain to be a Hall of Famer (he's top 5 in all time rushing yards), what other NFL team can boast having had three HOF running backs on their roster at one time or another?

Closest I can think of would be Cowboys, Raiders, Bears and Browns, but I'll take the Bills' all time running back depth chart over any other team's.

Oh...and my vote for the OP goes to Jim Brown. The best there is, best there was, and best there ever will be (apologies to The Hitman).

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

Great discussions here, really expected to see everyone agree on Barry here but cases can be made for a couple. 

For me I would have to say Barry Sanders. The NFL probably won’t see another talent like him at RB. Walter gets a nod from me as well. Either of those two I can’t argue with. 

Anyone who says Emmitt should be kicked off the board ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Are you old enough to have seen Brown play?

Ive watched enough highlight.  He is definitely one of the greatest backs.  But it is Barry Sanders.  I think if he kept playing he would be the alltime rushing leader in a league that they passed a bit more in.

Brown also played behind good lines.  Barry Sanders lines were a joke.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Watching the NFL for 50 years, in my opinion:

1. Barry Sanders - unequivocally the best that I've ever seen

2. Earl Campbell- nobody could tackle this beast and he was very fast as well.

3. OJ Simpson - simply unstoppable on a one dimensional team (no passing game)

Good list

Mine goes...

1 Barry

2 Ladainian Tomlinson

3 OJ

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And he did all that in an era where the passing game was much more of a factor.  Brown did it when all they did was run.  

I would have thought Sanders being in the passing era would have opened up the game for him.   However, he played for the Lions and I don't think they had a passing game.  For me Barry was the better running back but Brown was far ahead of the other players of his era.  Kind of like Babe Ruth was far ahead of the other players in his era.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sven233 said:

Depends on what you're looking for.  Barry Sanders was the best that I saw, but you could make arguments from Jim Brown, OJ, Walter Payton, Bo Jackson or a bunch of other guys.  You could make a great argument for Thurman with the way he could run it, catch it, and block.  Thurman might be the best all around back ever.  Just depends on what you want in your RB.

Nope, couldn’t. It hurts to say but Marshall Faulk was simply a better version of Thurman Thomas....  

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Nope, couldn’t. It hurts to say but Marshall Faulk was simply a better version of Thurman Thomas....  

Wow I couldn't disagree more! I just said compared the two with work buddies last week. I made the same statement in reverse. Difference of opinion is all, both were outstanding.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Come on man. ?. Lomas Brown was an all pro tackle. Kevin Glover was a probowler Center. Herman Moore was an all pro wideout. Kramer and Peete were both infinitely better than Peterman. The Lions had some weapons, and the offensive line wasn’t that bad until Sanders last two seasons. 

Peterman was an exageration but it takes 5 to make a line.

2 hours ago, mrags said:

As it stands, Barry Sanders. But had we been able to witness Bo Jackson over a full career, he would have put the argument to bed and nobody would ever be close. He was just dominant. But, like I said, as it stands right now; is Barry 

I'm glad Bo got a mention.  He is, to this day, the most dominate running back I've ever seen play the game; not a long enough career to call him the greatest, but certainly the most imposing.  The man just did whatever he wanted.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Oldfan said:

You can’t go wrong with any of the great backs

My vote is for Walter Payton

Have to start there. Barry was unique, but he never seemed to carry the team like the greats. 

Zeke carries the cowboys more than Barry carried the lions. 

Im between he an Emmitt. That guy was a guaranteed 2-3 yards at worst every time he touched it. So productive, for so long.  He always found an extra 2 yds or more when no one else would have.