Why not Eric Weddle for a year?

How many Safeties are we going to field?  

We wont be signing any of the big safety names IMO just because they will have plenty of starting opportunities elsewhere, not sure they want to come to a place where we have 2 very good safeties in place already.  

• Like (+1) 2

Sure let’s sign a safety on his absolute last legs to a one year deal. 

Sounds like a great deal to put us over the top. 

I highly doubt he wants to play for a super bowl contender and he surely wants to join a rebuilding team 

The 2 safeties we have play their roles pretty well - hyde can even move inside and play some nickel if needed.  Emergence of Wallace and Johnson last year made the CB group a lot stronger.  If you think someone might be an upgrade over Rafael bush in a "big nickel" - then i'd be interested.  There aren't cap ramifications if we cut Bush, and or he could play more of a reserve role.

He's in decline but he is still pretty good. If you can get him on a one year deal for decent money i'd take him for his leadership abilities alone and for the depth but I'm pretty sure he will either A. Go to a contender that can win a SB or B. Go somewhere where he can start. Neither of them are Buffalo unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He made the pro bowl this year.  He’s really good.  

Made it on rep/name only this past year, stats are very blah

Game Game Def Def Def Def Def Fumb Fumb Fumb Fumb Fumb   Tack Tack Tack Tack Tack    
Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
33 BAL FS 32 16 16 0 0 0 0 3           1.0 68 54 14 2 4   9

No picks, no forced fumbles, no recoveries, no TDs and one sack with 3 passes defended. 68 TT

Poyer

Game Game Def Def Def Def Def Fumb Fumb Fumb Fumb Fumb   Tack Tack Tack Tack Tack    
Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
27 BUF FS 21 16 16 4 11 0 11 6 1 0 1 0 0 2.0 100 73 27 9 3  

I keep the younger dude with better stats.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, freddyjj said:

No picks, no forced fumbles, no recoveries, no TDs and one sack with 3 passes defended. 68 TT

Poyer

I don’t really disagree but you know INTs isn’t always the best way to evaluate defensive backs right?  Trust me, I love our pair.  But Weddle did start for the number 1 defense in the nfl.  He’s really good even if he is aging.  That said, not a big need and he will likely take a team friendly deal with a SB contender.

Because we dont need him.  We have the #1 pass D in the NFL due to one of the best secondaries in the NFL.  The only position we need is a hybrid S.  Which he does not fit the bill for.  You may see us grab another LB and use Milano in that role.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t really disagree but you know INTs isn’t always the best way to evaluate defensive backs right?  Trust me, I love our pair.  But Weddle did start for the number 1 defense in the nfl.  He’s really good even if he is aging.  That said, not a big need and he will likely take a team friendly deal with a SB contender.

We have the number 1 pass D in the NFL.  He also has other stats as well as Ints.  100 tackles, 2 sacks....

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Poyer had 33% more tackles,  7 more TFLs and more QB hits and sacks too. 

Weddle was exposed in coverage last year.  Father time is undefeated.

Andrew Wingard is name to watch in draft at S

If ur going to ask people discuss,  you could at least set the table a little better and provide some context. This is just lazy fandom. Its not face book and as others have brought you up to speed, explaining why YOU think this would be a good idea would have been the only redeeming qlty. Why should someone discuss something almost seemingly to amuse you?

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It's not a need.  Depth maybe, but we have no need for a starter. 

23 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Because we dont need him.  We have the #1 pass D in the NFL due to one of the best secondaries in the NFL.  The only position we need is a hybrid S.  Which he does not fit the bill for.  You may see us grab another LB and use Milano in that role.

We have the number 1 pass D in the NFL.  He also has other stats as well as Ints.  100 tackles, 2 sacks....

Oh yeah, for sure.  No disagreement.  I do believe our pass defense was slightly improved because a bunch of games where we got blown out and teams were just killing the clock.  

But agreed Weddle is not a need.  I have a soft spot for him because I was huge fan of his out of college.  He will have no problems catching on to a team though.

50 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He made the pro bowl this year.  He’s really good.  

People judge players off Pro Bowl appearances? Wow.

You do realise the Pro Bowl is simply a popularity contest?

Edited by Mountain Man

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh yeah, for sure.  No disagreement.  I do believe our pass defense was slightly improved because a bunch of games where we got blown out and teams were just killing the clock.  

But agreed Weddle is not a need.  I have a soft spot for him because I was huge fan of his out of college.  He will have no problems catching on to a team though.

Even when they tried it was tough.  The only thing I want for our D is a penetrating DT.

If that was all they added to it I would be happy.  I would like to somehow complete the D but I could live with just that.

What I mean with complete the D is we have no hybrid S.  I dont think Weddle could fill that role or I would say grab him.  I do think Barr would allow Milano to play that role.

Barr will get harassed a bit in the lockerroom for a bit though.  I think we all know why Lol.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

The #1 pass defense, #2 overall defense vs. the 31st offense makes choices obvious.  Everything gets better with a stud O Line and they have the pics and $ to do it.

As someone stated pic you’re offensive toys after  LT  with #9.  Lots of excellent TE’s.  Depending on the analyst, there are 3-4 TE’s who have first round grades.  The two Iowa kids, the AL guy, and the BC kid.

2 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Poyer

God I hate it when stats are posted like this.

I feel like I'm watching The Matrix.

• Haha (+1) 1