Joe Marino (paraphrasing): "Bills will add an edge rusher in free agency in a 'creative' way"

On the most recent episode of the Locked on Bills podcast, around 16 minutes in he starts talking about edge rushers and said that he can't divulge specific names, but he's been told that Buffalo will be taking a run at addressing the edge rusher position in "creative ways" this offseason, specifically to plan for the future at the position.

He also specified that they will not pursue Clowney.

I'm guessing this means they'll be making sort of an under-the-radar dart throw of a signing to see if they happen to get lucky and get a guy to breakout. Wouldn't be surprised if maybe it's one of their former Panther guys: Kony Ealy. Seems like people could make an argument that Anthony Barr would be a "creative" approach to adding an edge rusher too since he's been mostly an off-ball LB to this point.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

On the most recent episode of the Locked on Bills podcast, around 16 minutes in he starts talking about edge rushers and said that he can't divulge specific names, but he's been told that Buffalo will be taking a run at addressing the edge rusher position in "creative ways" this offseason, specifically to plan for the future at the position.

He also specified that they will not pursue Clowney.

I'm guessing this means they'll be making sort of an under-the-radar dart throw of a signing to see if they happen to get lucky and get a guy to breakout. Wouldn't be surprised if maybe it's one of their former Panther guys: Kony Ealy. Seems like people could make an argument that Anthony Barr would be a "creative" approach to adding an edge rusher too since he's been mostly an off-ball LB to this point.

When I hear creative ways the last thing I think of is someone's castoff.  Maybe a trade, but signing a FA isn't creative.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe he means signing an hybrid type player that was used in a different position with his current team. A strong safety or an undersized interior lineman?

That’s all I got for “creative” 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

When I hear creative ways the last thing I think of is someone's castoff.  Maybe a trade, but signing a FA isn't creative.

Marino specifically said "in free agency"

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t listen to it but was he talking “free agency” specifically? The first thing that I thought was a trade. Maybe some team with cap constraints would deal a guy to help them dig out? 

Yes

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Marino specifically said "in free agency"

Yes

Well, signing a meh guy and selling him as the answer doesn't seem very creative (except on getting buy in from the fan base, that would be a creative sales job).

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

The only thing I can think of is maybe they are planning on signing a MLB and moving Edmunds to edge?

Draft White, move Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, stony said:

Charles Clay was a "creative" free agent signing.  Here's hoping "creative" means something different this time.  

By creative, do you mean overpaying to make sure Miami couldn't match? I won't put the contact on Clay at all. Players need to get paid if they have the opportunity...but that was a terrible contract for a guy that can play but is not in the top 15 of TE's in the league. 

Edited by HansLanda

7 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

The only thing I can think of is maybe they are planning on signing a MLB and moving Edmunds to edge?

That seems to make sense to me too.  That or a trade.

1 minute ago, HansLanda said:

By creative, do you mean overpaying to make sure Miami couldn't match? 

I do consider offer sheets creative

maybe they are considering Dee Ford (ducks). He’s getting tagged but KC is open to trading him. Similar situation to the Jarvis Landry trade last year, they could end up tagging and then pulling the tag once the trade happens. 

I'm listening now, he starts off by saying he talked to people over the weekend and learned a lot, wants to let us know what he's learned. He later says we should "brace (ourselves) for a Defensive Tackle at 9" and talks about Oliver and Wilkins, at the end of that part says "based on what I could gather, that's one of my takeaways."

It's officially panic time for the Offense-Only Chicken Little Brigade B-)

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure
Got the quote exact
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t listen to it but was he talking “free agency” specifically? The first thing that I thought was a trade. Maybe some team with cap constraints would deal a guy to help them dig out? 

Justin Houston?

6 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

I'm listening now, he starts off by saying he talked to people over the weekend and learned a lot, wants to let us know what he's learned. He later says we should "brace (ourselves) for a Defensive Tackle at 9" and talks about Oliver and Wilkins, at the end of that part says "based on what I could gather, that's one of my takeaways."

Oliver or Wilkins would be fantastic.

• Like (+1) 3

Shaquil Barrett Broncos OLB FA targeted to play Lorax role long term and be DE on passing downs this year.  Nick Chubb took his job in 2018.

PFF rating is 70+ every year as SOLB in 3-4

SHAQUIL BARRETT – BUY

There is no shame in being replaced by a top-five pick like Barrett was this past year. Still, the NFL tends to pay starters like starters and backups like backups, regardless of if they were deserving of said role. Barrett has had a pass-rushing grade above 70.0 in every season of his career despite often limited playing time. I’ll take that consistency for a lower price tag than possibly anyone else on this list.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Either of those players would be great picks.  OL can be addressed in Free Agency as well as the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure what this means, but I would love to see this happen.  Ideally, if we can emerge from FA with the following:

1 Edge - As this article alluded to doing

1 TE - Jesse James seems to be the hot target right now, but Harris from KC would be intriguing too or Brate if TB makes him officially available.  

2 OL - We added one solid versatile guy so far, but would like to get two more key starters in FA.  

1 WR - One WR that can compete for the slot or to start...Humphries is a guy I really like, but talk out of TB is that Arians really wants to try and keep him.  Although he probably leaves given the crowded WR room in TB, and Bills could be a good spot for him with a wide open WR room right now and an ascending QB.    

At WR, another guy I like is Geronimo Allison who is only 25 still, but a RFA.  Not sure if the Packers tagged him at all, but if not thats a guy I would look at too.  Additioanlly, they could also trade for Ross if we can send like a late pick for him.  I personally would see if they would do a Zay for Ross swap straight up.  Both seem to be better fits for the other team.  

If we can do that...then we have so much flexibility at 9 and guys like Oliver, Metcalf, etc are easy to take there.  I have a feeling that if Oliver makes it to 9 he will be our pick.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I immediately thought of Anthony Barr. Glad some of you guys did too. He was wasted as a 4-3 LB. You check his tape from UCLA and I was in love. I'd love to see him as a 4-3 DE. 

Hahaha. I was the opposite. I was anyone but Barr in that top 10. I think his best fit is a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4. I'd be surprised if it were him they are thinking of but I do wonder if it means a guy who maybe isn't renowned at the moment as a pass rusher but who they think can have success there.

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

At WR, another guy I like is Geronimo Allison who is only 25 still, but a RFA.  Not sure if the Packers tagged him at all, but if not thats a guy I would look at too.

Again, as with Robby Anderson.... it was obvious to anyone with eyes that he should have been drafted. As an RFA who was an UDFA the Pack would only be able to protect him by putting him on a 2nd round tender as the Jets did with Anderson I think as an original round tender would net them nothing.

We draft Kolby Listenbee as Allison and Anderson went undrafted folks. Yep. ZERO snaps in the NFL Kolby Listenbee. Goodo.

19 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

I think most educated fans know that you have to take the elite talent at #9 no matter if it is offense or defense.  They have a whole bunch of picks that can be concentrated on the offense, and I expect they will be spending some FA dollars on OL, TE, and WR.

• Like (+1) 1