Jordan Howard being shopped

Alphadawg7

Bears reportedly shopping Jordan Howard.  

Any interest?  

I’d like to see what they want for him, he’s been pretty productive over his first 3 years and can catch too.  I wouldn’t trade a high pick given the depth of the RBs in the draft, but if we could get him for a day 3 pick, I think it’s worth looking into.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Meh

But  what if we could for a day 3 pick?  Would be an upgrade over Ivory at the very least, but also a quality starter if McCoy doesn’t rebound this year 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

But for a day 3 pick?  Would be an upgrade over Ivory at the very least, but also a quality starter if McCoy doesn’t rebound this year 

Personal opinion - just never liked him much going back to his IU days. He’s just ok. I would rather use the day 3 pick elsewhere and aim higher for a RB. Jmo 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tatonka68 said:

Why would they trade him?? 

Since the day Nagy got there he was viewed as a guy who didnt fit his system.  Nagy wants more of a shifty guy and Jordan is more of a straight line runner.  

I think Jordan would be a better Ivory to McCoy.  Send a day 3 pick, like one of our extra 5ths for him (RB's just dont hold great trade value, so he could probably be had this cheap) and then draft a guy like Henderson or Love to compliment the group.  McCoy and Howard lead the backfield this year, with Howard and that young RB being the duo next year.  

This isnt a must trade scenario for me, but I do like this if we can get him for a 5th.  

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This isnt a must trade scenario for me, but I do like this if we can get him for a 5th.  

The discussion is not about him being better then McCoy and Ivory.

He is in the last year of his rookie deal.. obviously he is risk of being elsewhere in 2020..

Is it really beyond the realms of possibility that you can’t use that 5th and find  a guy as good possibly better that you control for 4 years on rookie salary?

I would be absolutely fuming if Beane used a 5th on this  dude.. thankfully I’m pretty sure he is smarter than that and I’m confident they will make a nice pick on Day 3 for a RB.,

50 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Devonta Freeman lite.

He’s okay.

That's a horrible thing to be. Freeman already is light and very injury prone because he runs so violently without size to back it up. Falcons messed that one up big time. 

Sign Coleman in FA if you want a back to compliment Shady. Draft a shifty back in the mid rounds in the draft who will replace Shady after this year. 

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

There are a bunch of mid-to-late round rbs I'd rather have.

Myles Gaskin

Darrell Henderson

Benny Snell

Justice Hill

Devin Singletary

We had good luck with an underrated Oklahoma State Running Back 3 decades ago....I know I am living in the past....

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He's just a slightly younger version of Ivory.  He's a plodder, you can find UDFAs who do what Howard can do.

He's 24 and has averaged 1000 yards rushing over 3 years.  Ivory is 31 and has 1 1000 yard season in 9.  

His YPC was down last year, but i wonder if the switch to Nagy's offense had something to do with that.  If the price is incredibly low - I'm in.  We currently have a really old core of RBs, and while we could draft one - he's a relatively known commodity.  Plus shady's off the books next year (ivory likely cut this year) - so it just gives another option.

I'm cool with drafting someone though - price is probably too high for Buffalo to jump in.  Jets seem more logical if they end up missing out on bell, especially if they're looking to add picks from trading #3.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Most important indicator is that he was a terrible fantasy RB for me last year.

He had some real stinkers. 5 games he didn't even get 3 yds/carry

He was pulling splinters out of his arse halfway through the season on my team.

I drafted him in 2017 ahead of some much better young backs (but fortunately stumbled across some guy named Alvin Kamira on the waiver wire). 

He's not awful overall but he has way too many no-show games.   Agree with the 'meh' and 'easily findable' assessments.

Jordan Howard is a good RB, he is a solid  blocker, has solid hands and has good vision. I think you need a RB like this in your stable and a guy like Kamara. Depends on what the Bears want but I would give up a 5th rd pick for him. 2 positions on this team that I would gut everyone and start fresh are TE and RB. He is the type of RB that seems to need carries to get going. It seems like he is feeling out the other team's defensive speed, system, strategy. Once he wears them down he runs over them. He reminds me of the race horse Secretarit, slow out of the gate and feels out the pack and then in the end he just runs right past everyone.

The Bears O-Line is also bottom 10 in the NFL as far as run blocking goes. They might be one of very few teams worse than the Bills at moving and controlling defenders at the LOS. Howards vision as a RB is top 5 in the NFL, he would definitely be an upgrade to Shady at this point in their careers.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

42 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Tarik Cohen is more explosive and a better all around talent.

I feel like if you have a Cohen type, you need a Howard type.  Need that downhill runner to mix in with the scat back,  Maybe Howard isn't happy with that role.

I'd Pass.  I think he's a mid round pick himself.  Plenty of RB's to be had in the draft that are just as good.  Dime a dozen.

Everything Beane and McDermott have said and done point to them wanting to get at least one last good year out of McCoy and Ivory. It seems very clear to me that they will lean on McCoy and Ivory at the running back position this year -- maybe only drafting depth or a role player later in the draft -- and then they'll have a serious youth movement at the position NEXT year at the earliest. 

I believe they take one look at the Bills roster and its littany of needs (2-3 o-linemen, 2 tight ends, 2 WRs, Edge rusher, 3T, Defensive depth) and figure they can get by on another year of McCoy and Ivory. I happen to agree with their assessment that neither guy has yet lost a step. 

For the reasons above, and because of the fact that I can't imagine them wanting to invest serious money in a running back when they already pay quite a bit to McCoy and Ivory, I can't imagine them wanting to have anything to do with Jordan Howard.

If anything, draft a young running back with one of your 5th round picks and call it a day. 

I know it's revisionist history, but I wish they'd have signed Hunt.

Not interested in this particular fella. Fully believe you can find a comparable if not better player late in the draft. You might even find a stud if you're lucky. I'd rather gamble than take a guy I know is the definition of average.