Erie County to spend 3mill on updates at New Era, including new field

YoloinOhio

Via WXXInew.com, the county will spend $3 millionon upgrades at New Era Field, including a new playing surface .

This will be the latest and greatest updated field,” Erie County Public Works Commissioner William Geary said, per WXXI.com.

The work comes at a time when the Bills are considering their options for the place where they will be playing.

“Year six of the 10-year lease, we’re looking at just under $3 million worth of work and that’s various improvements to the stadium, from some as simple as painting and concrete repairs, site improvements,” Geary said. “The big ticket price project this year is we’re replacing the turf and track on the main field.”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Improving the field is something players will appreciate.  Add to that the major field house fitness facility upgrade, and Buffalo becomes more attractive to free agents as well.

I don't believe these expenditures by the county impact the stadium decision at all.

11 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Interested to see what field they are going to use. Our turf got out dated quickly. 

Supposedly it was 'state of the art' when installed, yet didn't seem to last that well. Wonder if it's a bit like some tyres, plenty of grip to start with, but falls of the edge quickly.

As it's the county paying for it, one hopes the team actually still gets a say in the turf being used.

7 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

So basically, we improve the stadium and field for 75% of Charles Clay’s cap hit? It’s a deal. 

How are the two related? Two different revenue streams and expenditure streams. Taxpayer funds and Team Owner funds. Totally unrelated, which you already know. ??

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The New Era turf was terrible (lots of slipping)  but as I recall it they chose an off brand supplier for the product instead of one of the more we’ll known turf companies. I actually Design these fields for a living.

Yeah I think it was some local place that had a very limited number of comparable projects. It was dirt cheap though! 

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

Hopefully, these are the last few dimes Erie County will spend on this outdated and obsolete monstrosity.

hey there, thats like insulting my Mom's looks....fightin words!

32 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Where do they play for the 2 years that it will take? 

I think they played in Lambeau..i dont think they played at Madison or County Stadium in Milwaukee..( is that place still even there?)

Edited by plenzmd1

Nothing wrong with that stadium as a venue for 10, 11 or maybe 12 games a year.  Paying twice the price for armrests, a cup holder and a roof can't be justified within my budget.  The totality of the gameday experience should not be sacrificed to the whims of Roger's vision of what's best for us.  My $.02.  Thanks.

15 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Nothing wrong with that stadium as a venue for 10, 11 or maybe 12 games a year.  Paying twice the price for armrests, a cup holder and a roof can't be justified within my budget.  The totality of the gameday experience should not be sacrificed to the whims of Roger's vision of what's best for us.  My $.02.  Thanks.

It’s not about what’s best for us but what is best for them. 

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I don't remember GB having to move during renovations. Why should we? #infrastructureweek

I don’t remember if GB played elsewhere. The Vikings moved to the University of Minnesota while their stadium was being built. It is idealistic to believe that the stadium can be completely redone in 8 months with 3 of those months being January, February and March.  The Bills aren’t looking for cosmetic upgrades. They need to redivide the entire stadium to match up the best locations with ammentiites. A “new” version of the stadium will look nothing like what we are accustomed to. I am not sure that can be done in the short term and there isn’t a facility to house them. I suppose they could play in Toronto but we all know how well that will go over.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Pegulas are not making the kind of investments in the Arena district to not put the football stadium near it.  Just my take. 

Yep I totally agree and I think they may have a complex like no other. A facility that houses both the bills and Sabres. Have no idea how but maybe something a long way the lines of the carrier dome but a hell of a lot nicer. Pegs may be a visionary on this one. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t remember if GB played elsewhere. The Vikings moved to the University of Minnesota while their stadium is being built. It is idealistic to believe that the stadium can be completely redone in 8 months with 3 of those months being January, February and March.  The Bills aren’t looking for cosmetic upgrades. They need to redivide the entire stadium to match up the best locations with ammentiites. A “new” version of the stadium will look nothing like what we are accustomed to. I am not sure that can be done in the short term and there isn’t a facility to house them. I suppose they could play in Toronto but we all know how well that will go over.

I thought they played a few games in Milwaukee during renovation.

47 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Yeah I think it was some local place that had a very limited number of comparable projects. It was dirt cheap though! 

A-turf Titan?

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I suppose some folks may have said the same things about The Old Rockpile, but realize that, as a professional football venue, Rich/The Ralph/New Era has surpassed War Memorial Stadium by more than a decade.

The current facility is ‘serviceable’ for a few more years, but I would have a huge issue with anyone who thinks dropping a $half billion$ on a total rehab/rebuild isn’t foolish.

Buffalo is finally undergoing a renaissance of sorts, needs and deserves a new downtown football stadium to keep the momentum going, and the Pegulas have quietly been acquiring the land for it.

JMO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

I’m going to a game this year, fix it up nice!

Look forward to seeing you out there playing on it!! ?

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t remember if GB played elsewhere. The Vikings moved to the University of Minnesota while their stadium is being built. It is idealistic to believe that the stadium can be completely redone in 8 months with 3 of those months being January, February and March.  The Bills aren’t looking for cosmetic upgrades. They need to redivide the entire stadium to match up the best locations with ammentiites. A “new” version of the stadium will look nothing like what we are accustomed to. I am not sure that can be done in the short term and there isn’t a facility to house them. I suppose they could play in Toronto but we all know how well that will go over.

They can play in my backyard we'd be able to charge a ton for tickets although limited quantities ? 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

from what I found online, the renovations took place over 30 months or so, Packers played two home seasons in Lambeau as construction was taking place with minimal impacts. Hmm, interesting.

That being said, have no clue if that could happen in Orchard Park. Lambeau is one huge bowl with the concourse at the top of the bowl And that is where the real renovation took place. They did not have to deal with a lower bowl and upper deck. Suites etc were built were there were none before, on top of the existing bowl or in the end zones.

KC was able to stay put also, but not the Bears who played at least one at the University of Illinois stadium.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

I suppose some folks may have said the same things about The Old Rockpile, but realize that, as a professional football venue, Rich/The Ralph/New Era has surpassed War Memorial Stadium by more than a decade.

The current facility is ‘serviceable’ for a few more years, but I would have a huge issue with anyone who thinks dropping a $half billion$ on a total rehab/rebuild isn’t foolish.

Buffalo is finally undergoing a renaissance of sorts, needs and deserves a new downtown football stadium to keep the momentum going, and the Pegulas have quietly been acquiring the land for it.

JMO.

Just pointing this out...

I lived in Baltimore on the early 80s when the Orioles talked about building Camden Yards. At the time, everybody hated the idea, even though the old Memorial Stadium on 33rd St. was a complete s##thole. Local columnists wrote that Memorial was fine as is and had too much history to replace it with a fancy place downtown.

Ten years later and everyone not only loves Camden Yards but it's a source of community pride being a destination stadium in MLB. The lesson is everyone hates change beforehand.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If by some chance the Bills do decide or should i say the Bills are pressured into building a new stadium sometime in the future they will have the best practice facility in the entire NFL .

I just don't understand how Buffalo fans will be able to support the big ticket prices & all those fancy new crap that is unnecessary your there to watch football & drink beer if you need to be on the internet watching your phone being a yuppy then stay home & watch the game on TV !

Just do what they did in Miami & build a roof that is retractable over the place it can be done !!