Can the Charger's KO the Patriot's Next Week?

PUNT750

Thought it was interesting when they talked about Chargers running a defense with a bunch of safeties playing LB to shut down Balt - hopefully Bradley will come up with something inventive next week as well

Probably not.  For all the talk of Brady's downfall this season, Rivers also looks to be slipping.  He gets nothing on his balls downfield.....lot of floaters that are turnovers waiting to happen.  The game will come down to Gordon and Ekeler....if they can get the run game going they have a chance, but I just don't see it happening.

Patrtiots - 25

Chargers - 18

If Gordon is healthy, and their run D comes to play, then yes, they can.

But so many DCs do silly things when the game is on the line. Just look at how close they came to losing today. If they get ultra conservative on D against NE in the 4th quarter, they'll be going home.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

If Gordon is healthy, and their run D comes to play, then yes, they can.

This^^^  will be the key.  If Rivers doesn't choke, the Chargers should have a good shot.  Start off slow to set a tempo, like the did against Baltimore, who has a much better D than NE.  Then get more aggressive once some momentum has been established.

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm hoping Joey Bosa or Melvin Ingram take Tom Tom's head off. 

Of course this will help a lot, too.  Stop Sony Michel and get pressure up the middle.

48 minutes ago, Estro said:

Probably not.  For all the talk of Brady's downfall this season, Rivers also looks to be slipping.  He gets nothing on his balls downfield.....lot of floaters that are turnovers waiting to happen.  The game will come down to Gordon and Ekeler....if they can get the run game going they have a chance, but I just don't see it happening.

Patrtiots - 25

Chargers - 18

Yeah he has like no zip left at all.   Reminds me of Peyton Mannings last year.   Knows every trick in the book at qb but floats balls and relies 100% on his mental game vs his physical game.

I think there’s a great chance for both road teams to win in the AFC next week. They both possess more offensive/defensive balance than their opponents (in my opinion).

Edit: and it’s actually not my opinion; I just looked it up. Indy is 7th in offense and 11th in defense (to KC’s 1st/31st) and the Bolts are 11th/9th to the Pats*** 5th/23rd

Edited by eball

39 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think the Chargers will win because the Patriots will be in full cheat mode. Why do you think they win so many games at home?  It's baked right into the locker room bugs and wireless signal stealing in that stadium.

Should be an awesome game! Imo, Chargers have the most complete team in the Afc along with New England.

Efficient QB play and a solid defense/ST is the playoff recipe.

Indy vs Chargers in Afc title, Saints vs Cowboys in the Nfc....with the Saints beating the Chargers in the Super bowl.  That's my prediction, we'll see

Chargers should be able to move the ball more than they did against the Ravens.

Pats' Defense isn't nearly as daunting. Just can't get too conservative against them.

Chargers 27

Patriots 24

I hope...

Edited by EersN'Bills

Wish I had the same optimism you guys do.

Chargers are making 4 coast-to-coast trips in a week, thats tough. And its even tougher playing against a brutal Ravens defense.

I see them keeping it close in the first half, like the Bills sometimes do, but then end up getting blown out.

Theres nothing more I want than to be wrong though. 

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Thought it was interesting when they talked about Chargers running a defense with a bunch of safeties playing LB to shut down Balt - hopefully Bradley will come up with something inventive next week as well

Yes, the Chargers made good adjustments on both sides of the ball during the game.  It gives me hope.

Main worry from what I saw today: the Chargers took their foot off the gas when they were ahead, and it almost cost them.  Facing a Belichick** coached team, never EVER take your foot off the gas.  And if you’re ahead, be extra-prepared for them to come up with some kind of rule-bending trickery.

Certainly they can. They must be the more physical team, punish and wrap up on every tackle. Stop the run and get middle pressure on Brady while disguising their coverages. Offensively they can’t be conservative , Rivers needs to be better than he was in his two outings vs BAL. The Ravens have a superior defense to what he’ll face next week, but he has to be better. It’s easier said than done, but LAC have the players to get it done. They’ll need to take a page out of the Ravens gameplan vs NE over the years, as they’ve been more effective than most up there. BAL has two playoff wins at Foxboro, another that they should have won ( Lee Evans careless attempt at what was a certain game winning TD in the AFC divisional ) and a couple other close games that could have went either way. This is the most beatable edition of the Pats* in some time , the LAC can’t let themselves be beaten by the mystique. 

32 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Wish I had the same optimism you guys do.

Chargers are making 4 coast-to-coast trips in a week, thats tough. And its even tougher playing against a brutal Ravens defense.

I see them keeping it close in the first half, like the Bills sometimes do, but then end up getting blown out.

Theres nothing more I want than to be wrong though. 

Teams need to adjust, to ease the travel demands.  Keep their travel options open, and change as needed.  And PLEASE beat the Cheatriots! 

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

As long as Tom is playing the refs will ensure he gets shoved down our throats in another SB.

Certain Refs see to this far more than others. Two who actually weren’t afraid if their crew threw flags on NE for things like offensive holding and PI are unfortunately retired ( Steratore and E Hochuli). Others who don’t fear the Eagle wing are Blakeman, Boger, and Vinovich. If John Parry gets assigned the Pats* game, expect the one sided deluge of yellow laundry you reference. 

KC not going down.  I hope New England beats the Chargers.....New England, for all their history of greatness...never play well at Arrowhead...some of Bradys worst games have been in KC....and that's is the most favorable matchup for the Chiefs...chargers present more problems for us than NE does.  Besides...it would make a great story for KC to rip the mantle from Brady and the Pats...kind of a passing of the torch moment.  

I think the folks who are down on the Chargers are forgetting that Baltimore had a heck of a defense this year, much better than what LA will face in New England.  

Rivers is likely to have a better day in Foxborough, barring really bad weather.

They have a QB good enough to win a scoring battle with NE; most teams around the league don't.

I hope it's a great game and that LA can find a way to do it.

5 hours ago, Estro said:

Patrtiots - 25

Chargers - 18

While Rivers arm does look like its weakening idk how you can say the guy has slipped. He’s playing at a near MVP level this year.

4,300 yards 32/12 ratio 105 QB rating doesn’t strike me as slipping. Is it going to be a tough test for the Chargers? Absolutely. Are they the best team to beat the Patriots? IMO they are. 

The Chargers have the offense and the QB to beat the Patriots in a shootout if it comes to that. They also have a great front 4. We all know the best way to beat Brady is to get pressure on him in his face and get him off his platform. 

I believe the Chargers are the best all around team in the AFC. If Rivers is ever going to get a SB this is the year to do it 

Punt750, you’ve been warned already about starting threads -lame as they are- and not interacting with your thread. 

We’ll try this again. Don’t start threads then disappear, lest you be labeled a troll. We have no tolerance for trolls. Next time it happens will be ‘the Cooler’.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1