How much more mileage is left on the Shady chasis?

LeSean McCoy's production has deteriorated dramatically this year.  Instead of shifty and quick, he looked slow and shiftless yesterday.  I am not even sure his production is that of an RB2 at this stage, let alone consider him an elite running back.  Is the slide reversible, or is this season an aberration? 

4 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

LeSean McCoy's production has deteriorated dramatically this year.  Instead of shifty and quick, he looked slow and shiftless yesterday.  I am not even sure his production is that of an RB2 at this stage, let alone consider him an elite running back.  Is the slide reversible, or is this season an aberration? 

He looked fine in week 10 against the NYJ with plenty of burst on his TD run that capped the opening drive. 

7 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

That J'ville defensive front line isn't " chump change"...our o-line hung tough but the holes were few and far between.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I still see the burst and juke/shiftyness...he just doesn’t have any decent run blocking behind our $12 million dollar line.  

Upgrade our line, he will be 2016 Shady.

Upgrade our line and there are 40 cheaper backs that will get more production than McCoy has this year.  Yesterday you saw an elite RB in Leonard Fournette.   Put fournette on the Bills and all of sudden our line would put up great run blocking stats. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Upgrade our line and there are 40 cheaper backs that will get more production than McCoy has this year.  Yesterday you saw an elite RB in Leonard Fournette.   Put fournette on the Bills and all of sudden our line would put up great run blocking stats. 

Fournette is not elite.  He has a sub 4.0 ypc average at 3.8 ypc 

3.5 this year.

Our running game isn’t being fixed by Fournette.  It would be the same or worse.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2

Should have traded him when he had some value.  Great player but isn’t ever come close to his contract again.  

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Fournette is not elite.  He has a sub 4.0 ypc average at 3.8 ypc 

3.5 this year.

Our running game isn’t being fixed by Fournette.  It would be the same or worse.

Yeah, LF is not a special back.  Imagine Watson or Mahomes on the Jags.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Should have traded him when he had some value.  Great player but isn’t ever come close to his contract again.  

Yeah, LF is not a special back.  Imagine Watson or Mahomes on the Jags.

Fournette gashed the Bills pretty badly yesterday.  Jags likely won the game if fournette did not go mental.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Lesean is a vision football player who is one of the best at avoiding the direct contact hits that wear on the older players. I think he has years left if he can get some proper blocking, not saying they will all be at the same elite price tag or with this team but if AP and Gore can do it, so can Shady

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Not only that but he is a bad fit in our offense.  Yesterday a down hill runner would have produced better.  McCoy would be better in a non-power running scheme. I'm surprised he wasn't traded.  

Ivory is far more effective right now. Not sure why he did not get more carries. 

• Like (+1) 1

If I were the Bills this would be Shady's last year here. No way do I want to go into next year with a 31 year old running back. You can find a good running back in the draft or undrafted. He will take up too much cap where we can spend it in other places. It's been fun Shady but bye bye. 

23 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Fournette gashed the Bills pretty badly yesterday.  Jags likely won the game if fournette did not go mental.  

So basically because you saw Fournette play well for 3 quarters against the Bills you think he’s elite? How much of him have you actually watched? My goodness. ?

I've been through this before over the last several days when posting about Mr. Shady.  Shaw and his follows flock to say he's the same old RB and with an upgraded line he'd be great!  I don't see that at all.  You play with what you have.  They  (The Old Shaw Group) refer to the Jets game of 2 weeks ago as proof that the dusty, musty Shade Lamp is as good as ever.  26 carries for 113 yards.  They seem to forget we were playing the Jets and Matt Barkley threw the ball all over the field.  And, subtract the one 'big' run by McCoy of 28 yards and he averaged just 3.4 yards per carry which is his 2018 average. 

The man is done.

He was fading hard last season. Marcus Murphy when given the opportunity (which has been few and far in between) has consistently outproduced McCoy.  The kid runs hard and explodes through the hole, which is exactly where McCoy has been deficient.  It's not that McCoy looks slow, he's just not accelerating through the hole, he almost slows down or sometimes comes to a dead stop upon taking the hand off, which baffles me.  He has way too many negative rushes and I'm of the opinion that Muphy, Ivory and McCoy should be splitting carries (5-10 touches a piece).

I love Shady and think he's been a huge net positive for this team over the past few years but his play this year has been down.  He too often gets tackled for negative yardage when he could get a couple yards and those extra few yards puts the offense in a worse position for the remaining downs.   As much as it pains me to say it, I think we need to be looking very hard for his replacement in this next upcoming draft.  We need someone who will look to hit the hole with a more lateral mentality who will put the offense in a better position to move the sticks.

4 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Unfortunately, aging is not reversible. 

I just wonder what trade offers Beane got for him..  Seems like a wasted opportunity not trading him given we'll pry release him given we'll save 6.3 million in cap space next year doing so.  Unless, the market for Shady wasn't what some of us thought it was.  He has hit that dreadful running back age.

It happens to all great backs, age catches up to everyone. I remember watching Ladanian play out his twilight years in NY and he would show flashes of what made him so brilliant and people would think that he still has some left in the tank but it was just that flashes.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

It's a good question.

My guess is that he won't look as slow as he has recently every time out, but he also won't look as quick as he used to very often.

I think this is the first sign of the inevitable.

I think there is more than most are assuming.   He has gone through spurts where he dances more than he should, a couple years ago we would try and bounce everything outside at the beginning of the season before he corrected it.  He is in one of those funks again now.  He needs to just get what he can on a lot of plays he is taking losses due to his dancing.  One cut and go, that is what works for him.   I know his numbers are down but I dont think he hit the wall.   Having said that I think there is a good chance the Bills move on from him this offseason.  Between his age, contract and girl friend situation....

He's starting to remind me of CJ Spiller's last year or two.

I keep hoping for something to pop, but mostly it's pffft.

He's going down with arm tackles and stumbled/lost his balance a couple of times on Sunday.

He would have gotten a lot more out of a few runs even two years ago and those extra yards on a few runs makes a big difference in his usefulness.

10 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Is cap room in 2019 an issue?  And disagree with the Fournette statement.  His YPA is under 4 for his young career and has been largely terrible this year.  We had poor gap integrity on a bunch of runs in that game.

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

My prediction is that he is still here Week 1 2019

Agreed - I'm not sure we'll be counting on him like we used to, but the guy can block, catch, and is still tough to tackle 1x1.  Why would u release that guy when you legit already have 90 million in cap available?  His cap hit is high, but we haven't drafted his replacement yet and typically you want to see how those players fit before you move on.