AJ gone and no vet QB, are your expectations lower?

stuvian

6 minutes ago, stuvian said:

As AJ only had 5 NFL games under his belt I never really saw him as an experienced vet. Has his trade lowered your expectations for the season?

No. He's a backup caliber QB who would have been surrounded by a less than stellar supporting cast.   No upside.

It's interesting that everyone seems to have the same reaction.   It's been clear for nearly a month that there was probably only one way the Bills were going to have really good quarterbacking in 2018, and that would be if Allen emerged.   That's still possible, whether McCarron is there or not.   

McCarron promised nothing more than marginally adequate quarterbacking, and once it become clear that Peterman can do that, there was not reason to keep AJ.  

• Like (+1) 4

Not at all. But I've had the view going back to minicamp that McCarron and Peterman offer the same thing. I have been hoping Peterman would beat out McCarron for the bridge starter/eventual backup role and he did that. People have put too much stock in the Chargers game last year. Peterman is better than that. We aren't going to be good this year regardless of who the QB is.

• Like (+1) 3

1.  I think with this porous OL, the Bills QB room will suffer injuries, and a depth of 3 QB may be needed.

or

2.  On the hand, getting a fifth round draft choice was quite the deal, and a risk worth taking. If Peterman and Allen are injured, I'm sure Beane could find a scrub QB.

I choose number 2.

5 minutes ago, boater said:

1.  I think with this porous OL, the Bills QB room will suffer injuries, and a depth of 3 QB may be needed.

or

2.  On the hand, getting a fifth round draft choice was quite the deal, and a risk worth taking. If Peterman and Allen are injured, I'm sure Beane could find a scrub QB.

I choose number 2.

Exactly.  If number 1 happens the season is over anyway.  

30 minutes ago, stuvian said:

As AJ only had 5 NFL games under his belt I never really saw him as an experienced vet. Has his trade lowered your expectations for the season?

..if you need a pacifying vet, get Anderson....6 years with Panthers and "The Carolina Connection" but you'll have to carry 3 on the 53....

• Like (+1) 1

No. If anything this helps clarify things for the team. Wish that would have been done sooner, but we have 5th rounder for our troubles. Now Peterman gets his chance to prove he can be a franchise QB rather than just a placeholder. Fingers crossed.

Also, it opens up another roster spot on a team that needs all the extra roster spots it can get. Put plainly, the Bills just don't have enough talent in the building for luxuries like keeping three QBs.  

Edited by VW82

He had no affect  coming or going.  I figured he was the insurance plan if the draft didn't work out  Peterman improving made him expendable. No more place holders.  Play Allen , he doesn't work out go draft another till you find the guy. Meantime now that the old  roster debris has been cleansed start on building a young nucleus of above average starters with the draft.  Last years draft they got Tre and Dawkins might end up being pretty good.   2016 a wash unless Lawson gets it going. 2015 draft we got nothing. 2014 draft nothing.    Till they start hitting and retaining 2/3 quality starters per draft were going nowhere. 

With very few game starts under his belt McCarrons career 93.6 QB rating, 64.7 completition %, and 3 to 1 TD to INT Ratio suggests A J McCarron can start in the NFL IMO.

Lots of opinions floating around on how pedestrian A J is with nothing concrete to back it up IMO.

I was never a fan of the McCaron signing to begin with, I couldn't believe we got a draft pick for a guy we were probably going to cut. I never expected much with him at the helm, I still believe Josh Allen gives us the best chance to win but don't want to see his career cut short behind a make shift OL, wait until next year when we draft and pickup a few FA vets. As long as were at least competitive from game to game.

27 minutes ago, boater said:

or

I choose number 2.

Same with me, 2.

The kids picked up the new offence better than AJM.

Wipe out the 3rd game when the starting line was trying to get Cornfed killed and they both out preformed him.

So what was he going to teach them? how not to do it?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

It’s a fair question. I had wondered what AJ ‘s potential was and have to say I expected him to win the job and be the opening day starter. After that, who knows ? While  injury didn’t help, he failed to impress.  My overall expectations weren’t very high once it was clear the Bills weren’t getting a Bradford type to start the season while a rookie was being groomed. I don’t think Peterman is anything more than a career backup, so  overall my hopes have only been downgraded slightly. . Anything more than 5 wins would be a pleasant surprise to me. 

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

So do the Bills roll with only 2 QBs or will they pick up a vet backup.  Landry Jones is a Free Agent and a few vet backups may be on the trading bloc

I wouldn’t bother. Season is in the schitter if you’re down to QB 3 anyway, so it may as well be a Logan Thomas or Braxton Miller type that can do something else. They might just grab a QB though, as it doesn’t seem like they’re going to find the OL or WR help that is desperately needed. 

Regardless of the fact that McCarron has a little more time in the league and a few more starts, Peterman was far more consistent this preseason.  I  think Peterman is going to be fine as a bridge until Josh Allen is ready.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Regardless of the fact that McCarron has a little more time in the league and a few more starts, Peterman was far more consistent this preseason.  I  think Peterman is going to be fine as a bridge until Josh Allen is ready.

They still need 3. Final opinion on this trade depends on who they sign and for how much - most likely one that was just cut

Edit: of course the FINAL final opinion depends on the pick ha ha. But for this year, IMO you can't go with just 2 rookies

Edited by Jerome007

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Not at all. If we get down to our 3rd QB during the season it means we’re on the road to a Top 3 pick. A.J or anyone else for that matter won’t make a difference. 

We can always pick up EJ or Cardale if it comes down to it.

Thats an Infamnia.

50 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

They still need 3. Final opinion on this trade depends on who they sign and for how much - most likely one that was just cut

Edit: of course the FINAL final opinion depends on the pick ha ha. But for this year, IMO you can't go with just 2 rookies

A seasoned veteran is a nice security blanket, but McCarron really didn't provide much of that.  I agree a third QB is desirable, but I don't know that you're going to find a veteran at this point who even gives you what McCarron did in terms of quality veteran leadership.  I would be a bit surprised if they didn't acquire some insurance, but I think it will come in the form of a practice squad addition, so obviously we're not talking a veteran.  

Yes my expectations are lower because he was supposed to provide some experience and could have given us another option if Peterman chokes in live action.  Peterman has looked good this preseason but regular season is different.  McCarron did not look good but he was also getting used to a new situation and has played well for Cincy so I think we could have one some games with him.  Too bad they were hell bent to get rid of Tyrod because I think that would have been a better situation with him playing until Allen was ready.  We all hope Allen is the answer but it doesn't appear he is quite ready so winning this year seems to rest on Peterman.  I'd be very surprised if Allen played before Peterman gets hurt or we have 4 losses early.

18 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Wow.  The optimism is stunning.  How quickly we've forgotten when the Bills went into the season with EJ, Tuel Time, and Thad Lewis.  We're likely to suffer the same growing pains as Maroon's first season.

Ever notice that Doug Marrone is vilified around here because he took the money and ran at the end of the 2014 season, whereas McD is triumphantly heralded as the guy who broke the drought and got us into the playoffs, despite each achieving exactly the same 9-7 record?

If outside variables beyond the control of either coach had been slightly different, Marrone would have ended the drought and McD would have failed to make the playoffs in his first season with the team.

Who says luck isn't important?