Greatest 77 seconds.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

B. Scott Norwood - he hit the wall in 1990/91.  Never should have been back in 1991 and 1992.  He was missed easy PAT’s for goodness sake

He was gone after '91.  We signed Christie before the '92 season.

Remember the great game out in LA during the '91 season?   How many FGs/XPs did Norwood miss that game?  That pretty much sealed his fate.  When Polian was able to sign Christie in '92, he was doing cartwheels down the hall at OBD.

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

Leonard Smith was a good player that is mostly forgotten these days.

A classic Polian pickup, like Kenny Davis and James Loften. 

I remember watching it at home. Back when no matter how far down the team was, you knew they could come back. Far different than recent years, where when the team had the lead, you'd wonder how they were going to lose it. 

Our group never left a game early.  That particular game was frustrating, so when they lined up to take the kick, one guy said, "I'm out of here" and walked out and the rest of us followed.  As we walked past the next entrance way, we heard the crowd and ran back in to see CB running down the field to score.  My friends ran back to our seats, but I just stood in the entrance way.  Right after Smith scores, the usher comes up to me and says "you can't stand there, get to your seat."  I said, "dude, I just watched us score twice while standing here - I'm not moving."  The usher looks at me a moment and then says, " yeah, you should keep standing here."   I finally returned to my seat after the third score.  Absolutely class.

• Like (+1) 1

Was watching the game on TV down in Houston.  The Eulers had the friggin' 4PM (3PM) game so they stopped showing the Bills game right before the 2 minute warning.  To this day still can't stand the Titans & the Texans.  :lol:

3 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Football season is here (sort of) and im psyched.  Per the norm I go nuts watching old highlights and reading old stats this time of year.  Came across this gem from 1990.  It's the game where we scored 20 pts in 77 seconds vs Denver.  I remember Denver was about to kick the FG to go up 24-9 (a 3 score deficit in those days) when my dad went to take a shower before work.  He missed it all.  The entire rest of the season when the Bills were down I'd tell him to leave the room.  I was 14 at the time so he played along.  Anyway a great memory from back in the day.  Enjoy:

That was epic! I remember every second!

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

He was gone after '91.  We signed Christie before the '92 season.

Remember the great game out in LA during the '91 season?   How many FGs/XPs did Norwood miss that game?  That pretty much sealed his fate.  When Polian was able to sign Christie in '92, he was doing cartwheels down the hall at OBD.

A classic Polian pickup, like Kenny Davis and James Loften. 

Yeah that’s right.   There were several games where he missed easy FG’s and even worse

automatic XP’s.  He had a great 1988 season and decent 1989 but a shaky 1990 and a worse 1991.  

Had Polian had the foresight to be proactive about the kicker situation, the Bills might have won Super Bowl 25.  

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Hilarious that “Hot Stuff” Rick Dennison blew the blocking assignment.

Also did you hear the announced throw shade at Jeff Wright?  “One of the few tackles made by Jeff Wright.  He’s been getting pushed around today.”  LOL.  I’ve been saying for years....Wright was the weak link of the defense 

Thank you..

Fred smerlas

That was a great trip down memory lane, thanks for it.  But man, I had completely forgotten that asinine rule the NFL had in place back then where the crowd wasn't allowed to be too loud, and players couldn't encourage fans to make noise.  I mean, that was definitely a rule for the WTF book, glad we don't have anything that silly these days.  Seriously, asking the home crowd to keep it down?  ?

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I long for a season of that kind of excitement in the stands.  

They asked them to be quiet? Huh? Was that because the D wasn’t allowed to ask for noise then? I’ve never seen refs ask a crowd to be quiet! What am I missing? (I got sidetracked during viewing, admittedly.) 

Edited by Augie

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

They asked them to be quiet? Huh? Wads that because the D wasn’t allowed to ask for noise then? I’ve never seen refs ask a crowd to be quiet! What am I missing? (I got sidetracked during viewing, admittedly.) 

It was an actual, official rule back then.  The home crowd couldn't be too noisy, so the visitors could still communicate.

Found it...was introduced in 1989...

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-03-22/sports/sp-219_1_winter-meetings

Two competition committee spokesmen, Schramm and Miami Coach Don Shula, outlined a three-step, noisy-stadium procedure:

--The referee will first advise the fans and the defensive players that there will be a penalty unless the clamor abates.

If it doesn't, he will take away one or more timeouts--assuming the home team hasn't used them all.

--Then he will penalize the home team five yards at a time as long as necessary.

Shula had a hand in it...imagine that.  ?

Edited by The Red King

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

It was an actual, official rule back then.  The home crowd couldn't be too noisy, so the visitors could still communicate.

Well, that is a big reason we go! How CRAZY! I really didn’t remember that idiocy. 

Game was September 30, 1990. Had seats on the goal line  35 rows up (all these scores in front of me).I remember the date because it was the day before my dad died. He was in the Oncology ward at Mercy Hospital.  The next day I went after school to visit him and pick up my mom.   I remember explaining to him what had happened and about 10 minutes later, he  died from a massive hemorrhage  from a lung tumor.

• Sad 3

39 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Game was September 30, 1990. Had seats on the goal line  35 rows up (all these scores in front of me).I remember the date because it was the day before my dad died. He was in the Oncology ward at Mercy Hospital.  The next day I went after school to visit him and pick up my mom.   I remember explaining to him what had happened and about 10 minutes later, he  died from a massive hemorrhage  from a lung tumor.

Umm, I hope he died happy? 

Sorry to hear all that. 

Wasn't really into watching sports at the time but was watching this game at my best friend's house, and left to go back to Cornell figuring they lost.  When I got back to school, one of my roommates told me they won.  I was hooked.

5 hours ago, eball said:

I was there and remember it like yesterday.  We couldn't believe what we were watching.  And the very next week they did something sort of similar in the Sunday night game vs. the Raiders!

I remember all the wild places I watched games. First super bowl against Dallas in gtmo, the next cutting lines in the Florida straits. I watched the big comeback against Houston in a navy em club and was so drunk at half time, getting ridiculed for my bills gear that I barely recall the second half, just remember that I was able to get all the squids to start cheering for the bills in the second half. I don't remember anything after they completed the comeback but some of my new friends got me back to the ship thank goodness, I had just reported aboard the three days after Christmas.

(Hmm, not sure why the quote swapped but this was meant to quote the Saudi Arabia viewer. Guess I am too old to use technology well.)

Edited by Coastie

On 7/26/2018 at 2:07 PM, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I was at the game. Got up to go to the bathroom at some point during this, can't remember exactly when, but I missed most of it.

The next week they had another huge comeback in the 4th quarter against the Raiders on Sunday night football. The Bills scored on a 42 yard Kelly to Lofton pass, then a bit later James Williams blocked a punt and returned it for a touchdown and the first Bills lead of the game. They then added a field goal and a fumble return for a touchdown.

I was at that Sunday night Raider game with my dad (who is from Oakland). That was the game where Nate Odomes mugged Willie Gault on the sideline and raced in for 40+ yards. Everyone thought Gault had a huge play and first down on a drive that could have tied the game late. We were all confused to see Odomes running to the endzone by himself, and the fandemonium in the stands after the ref signaled TD was incredible, like 70,000 plus exhaling at the same time. It's one play i saw live that will always stick with me.

Edited by RocCityRoller

12 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I was at that Sunday night Raider game with my dad (who is from Oakland). That was the game where Nate Odomes mugged Willie Gault on the sideline and raced in for 40+ yards. Everyone thought Gault had a huge play and first down on a drive to tie the game late. We were all confused to see Odomes running to the endzone by himself, and the fandemonium in the stands after the ref signaled TD was incredible, like 70,000 plus exhaling at the same time. It's one play i saw live that will always stick with me.

That was one of Nate's greatest plays as a Bill.  In lieu of making the tackle, he just took the ball away like a parent taking a toy from a child.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/27/2018 at 11:24 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thank you again

Phil Hansen

Phil Hansen and Aaron Schobel are all time Bills greats. Buffalo has always had good RBs and good DL, you would think that would win you some games.

Discounting the obvious greats (Bruce, Williams), and forgotten 1960-80s players, Imagine a D-line of Phil Hansen (DE), Kyle Williams (DT) and Aaron Schobel (DE) in a 3-4. If you add in a Sam Adams, Pat Willliams or Fred Smerlas at DT that 3-4 becomes a brutal 4-3.

I'll take that trio or quatro for an all time great team, and they are our 'B' or 'C' squad. (Bruce, Mario Williams, Sestak, McDole etc.)

I hope that Phillips, Washington, and Lawson can step up this year to continue the tradition.

Edited by RocCityRoller

On July 26, 2018 at 11:25 AM, vorpma said:

I listened to this game via shortwave radio on the roof of a 20 story building in Saudi Arabia and was going wild; great post!

No kidding?  I was at a resort in the Himalayas for a high level business meeting with Savior Peterman.  We watched the game using one of those big satellite dishes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Thanks for sharing. Those days were truly special times! Hard to grasp for some of the younger Bill’s fans how truly amazing what it was like to watch the Bills back then. The team and the fanbase expected to win each weekend and for some us older fans it’s the hope that in the near future we restore Buffalo football back to how it was and can be!

On 7/26/2018 at 1:54 PM, Bills fan since 87 said:

Football season is here (sort of) and im psyched.  Per the norm I go nuts watching old highlights and reading old stats this time of year.  Came across this gem from 1990.  It's the game where we scored 20 pts in 77 seconds vs Denver.  I remember Denver was about to kick the FG to go up 24-9 (a 3 score deficit in those days) when my dad went to take a shower before work.  He missed it all.  The entire rest of the season when the Bills were down I'd tell him to leave the room.  I was 14 at the time so he played along.  Anyway a great memory from back in the day.  Enjoy:

Didn't need a dam train horn to get that crowd into it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1