RD3, Pick 96: Harrison Phillips DT - Stanford

6 minutes ago, Stokes84 said:

Please tell me you think this guy is better than Mo Hurst. Please.

Beside a heart condition that teams steer clear away for a reason, Mo is better no doubt.

Calling Phillips a poor pick whom was considered a late 1st to mid 2nd pick a "trash pick" is flat out moronic.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stokes84 said:

Mayock just addressed why Hurst hasn’t been picked. His situation is so bad that only one team he knows of still has him on their board. He even mentioned Hank Gathers type of bad.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Tim Anderson references should be banned.  His motor was so high it redlined and seized.

And his lunch pail so big it could hold a buffet

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like the pick. I would have preferred Hurst if healthy but it doesn’t look good if he is still on the board. I would love if the Bills can get St. Brown or Cain and Tyrell Crosby.

Maybe we can grab Hurst in the 4th or 5th.  5th would be crazy like Bob Woods!

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Mayock just addressed why Hurst hasn’t been picked. His situation is so bad that only one team he knows of still has him on their board. He even mentioned Hank Gathers type of bad.

I'd still like to try a 6th/7th round flyer on him.

8 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

you need to stop!!?

http://www.billsdaily.com/draft/2004/

3) DT Tim Anderson 6-3 1/8, 307, 5.01 - Anderson is a tough, competitive football player with a great work ethic. He is considered underrated by some and is a solid tackler who can rush the passer. Needs to tone up his physical appearance some but has excellent instincts. He will be depth this year and insurance if the team loses Pat Williams in free agency next year.

OK, that's it. Congrats HP!

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, Watkins101 said:

I'd still like to try a 6th/7th round flyer on him.

I don’t know his situation I was just relaying the update from Mayock. Hank Gathers died on the court IIRC so I don’t think he is throwing that around loosely. Sounds like a liability nightmare if he got cleared by someone but not by others. For his sake i hope he is ok.

1 minute ago, Mij yllek said:

Maybe this is why he dropped....still well worth the pick

Analysis

Phillips is one of the more polarizing prospects in the 2018 NFL Draft’s DT class. It all comes down to how highly you value his production and his high-effort style of play. Those traits are valuable, but they don’t make an elite prospect on their own. Phillips’ lack of high-end athletic ability makes him a limited player in the NFL, and I’m not sure that I see him as anything more than an average NFL starter.

There is room for improvement with Phillips: his hand technique is still pretty raw, and he could certainly become an above-average run defender by more consistently playing with better leverage. But his size and frame likely limit him to a role as 3T in the NFL—and if he isn’t a plus pass rusher, that means he’s a base package player only. There is certainly room for a player like Phillips on an NFL roster as a base package 3T with potential for growth, but those types of players don’t demand high draft selections.

A team could certainly benefit from adding a player like Phillips in the Day 2 range, as he’s ready to start right away on base packages and would provide valuable depth to the defensive line. I just don’t understand the first round hype that Phillips has been getting, as he’s clearly a prospect with fairly limited upside—particularly as a pass rusher.

They probably said the same thing about Kyle. His instincts are off the chart.

Just now, Rico said:

http://www.billsdaily.com/draft/2004/

3) DT Tim Anderson 6-3 1/8, 307, 5.01 - Anderson is a tough, competitive football player with a great work ethic. He is considered underrated by some and is a solid tackler who can rush the passer. Needs to tone up his physical appearance some but has excellent instincts. He will be depth this year and insurance if the team loses Pat Williams in free agency next year.

OK, that's it. Congrats HP!

Anderson reference painful enough, reminding fans we bungled away Pat Williams is cruel and unusual.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Combined with Lotulelei this should help clean up the run defense.

Easy to forget with everyone playing out of their heads in the playoff game but that front was getting plowed in the second half of the season.

Don't forget Edmunds in the Middle to clean up

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Welcome to Buffalo, Kyle Jr!

@Kirby Jackson and I called this one! 

I can’t say I “called it”. Does praying count? I’ve followed this with my son quite a bit, but didn’t think we’d get that lucky!   He brought him to my attention a while ago, calling it early. 

5 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Such a bummer for that kid.

6 minutes ago, Stokes84 said:

Hurst apparently has a heart condition that teams feel is more serious than the CBA doctors are making it. Or simply not worth the risk.

If he were healthy, he'd be an early pick. But he's not, so he's not.

Let Hurst go. Move on. We got a GREAT player. He is Kyle Jr, and I dont say that lightly. Check the 15min highlight reel I posted. Every single one of his plays is a highlight. He had 98 tackles last season, at NOSE TACKLE.

41 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Correct me me if I am wrong, but we knew about their interest in him, right?  Or was it just hopeful speculation here at The Wall?

Either way, nicely done.

our playoff leading defense is going to f*** some people up this year.

Pretty sure they visited him and with McDermotts wrestling background and Phillips plus it being a need when he was available seemed like a good bet. Phillips benched 225 42 times and was a two time state champ wrestler in HS and a national champion as well, very impressive Meatball Jr.

Edited by billrooter
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• SDS pinned this topic