Is the NFL draft the most overhyped/overrated event in sports history?

njbuff

A lot of people I know who are sports fans think it is a ridiculous event.

i wanna keep the explanation in this thread short, cause I can go a million different ways.

What do you folks think about the actual event that is the NFL draft?

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Is the NFL draft the most overhyped/overrated event in sports history?

A lot of people I know who are sports fans think it is a ridiculous event.

i wanna keep the explanation in this thread short, cause I can go a million different ways.

What do you folks think about the actual event that is the NFL draft?

No but it is very close.

I vote the Olympics, Pro Soccer in US, and WNBA, as most overrated that networks shove down our throats mercilessly.

Overhyped? Not even close. The Super Bowl or the World Cup get a ton more hype. Overrated? Hmm. Maybe the brackets pick in the World Cup is close. But maybe yeah.

What it really is is over-extended. Should never have been moved to early April. Moving it back allows more hype but allows teams less time with their rookies having the playbook. It hurts the teams and it's fricking boring. Move it back to early April.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

No. 

That title goes to the Ryder Cup.  When I watched golf, we had to listen to two years of drivel about who was going to be the captain's piack. And then listen to non-sense about how the pairings make any difference.  Dumbest competition in sports with the worst fake drama.

I enjoy watching the draft, certainly at least for the first round and probably the second too. 

It's interesting to see who takes which player.

This year seems to be more exciting than usual.  I don't think it can be overhyped this year.

How will the NFL draft TV ratings compare to MLB, or even the NBA playoffs? 

That may help answer the question. I don’t pretend to know, but I suspect

Football is king in this country. 

As it stands alone it's over hyped but people must be consuming it.  It's not overrated, IMO, because the event itself still has incredible appeal.  

Other posters have given examples but I'll give mine.  

Nascar hyped up the most important race of the year Daytona 500.  They called it their super bowl but it's the first race and most people couldn't make sense of that - especially when the points count just as much.  They didn't make the necessary changes and their ratings have plummeted since 2015.  People rejected their attempt at a "playoff" format and sticking to making the first race the marquee.  

Edited by White Linen

The Draft is absolutely one of the worst things in sports. I can't wait until this team finds a QB so I can stop caring about it every October through April.

Sure, it is fine to watch the first round or two. Now especially since they sped it up, it used to be absolutely dreadful when the clock was 15 mins for every pick. 

The incessant talk, and the mock drafts where analysts say, "this isn't what I would do, but it's what I think they will do" Only to be wrong 75% of the time. How about that they say it's not what they'd do, and what they think others will do, and they still suck at their job. The planted stories, all of it is just too much. Nothing else in sports compares. Once this team gets good again, I can't wait to completely check out on the draft until like the week before. Perhaps this year has been more fatiguing than any other year because we all started looking at it as soon as the Bills traded back last year. The draft wasn't even completed and you had professionals speculating what the Bills are going to do in this draft. 

It's awful.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Well we just had an entire day based around a schedule release. I'll go with that tbh.

I love the schedule release special on ESPN.  Hey, here's the top 10 games we already knew were going to be scheduled (14 of them 16 years in advance), but we're going to act like it's breaking news.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bobobonators said:

I love it. What’s not to love. At least for days 1 and 2. 

Make one to two awesome picks and the fortunes of your team can be changed for the next decade. 

I love it, too. But, I do think I should love it a lot less. 

8 hours ago, Augie said:

I love it, but I wish they’d dump the watered down, made for TV three day format. Get it done Saturday and Sunday. 

Hell, put them on the clocks they use in chess matches.  10 minutes to decide, or you go to the end of that round.  That'll get some of these GMs and staff hustling.  ?

8 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

No. 

That title goes to the Ryder Cup.  When I watched golf, we had to listen to two years of drivel about who was going to be the captain's piack. And then listen to non-sense about how the pairings make any difference.  Dumbest competition in sports with the worst fake drama.

Spoken like a true non-golfer.

I love it. If you love football, this is three days of lots of Xs and Os analysis, which is what I love. Yes there is a ton of boring promotional crap and listening to Trey Wingo's smug bullcrap. I could honestly listen to Mike Mayock talk about football all day. I loved him on Thursday night football. People thought there was too much analysis but I loved it.