Is the NFL draft the most overhyped/overrated event in sports history?

njbuff

9 hours ago, njbuff said:

A lot of people I know who are sports fans think it is a ridiculous event.

i wanna keep the explanation in this thread short, cause I can go a million different ways.

What do you folks think about the actual event that is the NFL draft?

It's the best offseason event in all of sports.

The way I feel about day 1 of the NFL draft is probably what millions of single women feel about the Bachelor finale.....who's going to be the pick?!?!

The Draft is only overhyped if you think you’re going to see a football game break out. It’s not a sporting event!

However, if you watch knowing that you’re about to see the childhood dream come true for someone about every 10 Minutes or so you’ll come away with a different impression. They’ll be making approximately 6 millionaires an hour! 

Or, if you watch with the intrigue and strategy of a good chess game, you’ll appreciate it more. (But don’t expect any blocking or tackling.)

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Hell, put them on the clocks they use in chess matches.  10 minutes to decide, or you go to the end of that round.  That'll get some of these GMs and staff hustling.  ?

They are on a clock. A few years ago some team (I forget who) missed their time and the team behind them rushed up with their card and got ahead of them. I’m surprised it wasn’t the Bills or Browns....that I’d remember.  :wacko:

2 hours ago, Augie said:

They are on a clock. A few years ago some team (I forget who) missed their time and the team behind them rushed up with their card and got ahead of them. I’m surprised it wasn’t the Bills or Browns....that I’d remember.  :wacko:

Vikings, wasn't it? They got beat by a handful of teams if I recall correctly. 

14 hours ago, njbuff said:

i wanna keep the explanation in this thread short, cause I can go a million different ways.

It is the best marketed draft, it turned the NFL relevant for the entire year, not just a couple of months like the other pro sports. I enjoy everything that comes with it.

As a college man pre career I was dissipointed in the move from all day saturday and sunday to Thursday and Friday night,  Saturday afternoon.  Now as a proffessional and father its much better.  I enjoy NFL and college football and its the merger of each sport.  The hype and potential for any rd and pick becoming the key to turning around a franchise has created more anticipation.  The Browns cant lose Thrusday but they could win, by getting the top qb and top offensive or defensive player.  More cleveland fans will watch the draft than any game they played in December.

Edited by Mat68

3 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Vikings, wasn't it? They got beat by a handful of teams if I recall correctly. 

That sounds right. It was a race to the desk to beat the Vikes! (You’d expect that to be the Browns, but even THEY have gotten that right.) 

As a long suffering Bills fan I do find the draft exciting because we are always looking for that guy who is going to turn over a new page in Bills history...now if I was a fan of a successful franchise who has had a franchise QB in place for years(i.e. Patriots, Steelers) I don't think the draft would be all that exciting for me.

The combine is worse by FAR but it's not highly rated so that's out.  Same for WNBA someone listed - no hype there to begin with - shoot, they need more love.

I vote television golf.  The game is fine but how to just watch it for hours with the sleepy whisper commentators?  Hell, I even love baseball too.  PGA is on the Tele way too much imo.  I don't get it.  At least nascar has infighting, crashes and loud noises. . .not something I'm sitting hours staring at either though.

Most under hyped for the quality of watching is tennis I think.  Tons of action, fast paced and often many tense moments all through the match where the final outcome is affected.  That game in the first set where your player lost on his service can haunt him hours later as he needs to maybe win a complete extra set over it.  And, when McEnroe played there was drama and anger too.  Ha.  

Replace some of the golf with tennis!  Cripes - I've been far more engaged in curling on the tv than I ever have golf.  :o)

Edited by sleeby

17 hours ago, Augie said:

How will the NFL draft TV ratings compare to MLB, or even the NBA playoffs? 

That may help answer the question. I don’t pretend to know, but I suspect

Football is king in this country. 

It sure is!

It always used to be baseball, and whatever #2 was was a mile behind.

Not anymore.

9 hours ago, zonabb said:

Yes. And this year in the wet dream symbol of NFL greed and hype.... a massive taxpayer supported stadium. Gross.

Guessing the hotels, restaurants, bars and stores near the stadium aren't too sad...

What about Mike Tyson fights?  So much hype for a few seconds of action! :D 

Fadingpain: "It always used to be baseball, and whatever #2 was was a mile behind"

the baby bombers are fun!  Even have a 5'7 infielder; altuve is 5'6 and won Am league Nov last year.  Very young group.  They won 14-1 last night.  

Houston returns with even better pitching than that which won them the world series last fall and the yankees return even younger and more offensively potent than the offense that got them to game 7 of the alcs last fall.  Then there's the red sox who are winning every game; bastards.

football may be king but baseball is still great; for those that like that sort of thing.

Edited by sleeby

2 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Guessing the hotels, restaurants, bars and stores near the stadium aren't too sad...

What about Mike Tyson fights?  So much hype for a few seconds of action! :D 

That’s funny! My next door neighbor used to pay for the Tyson fights. We’d sit around for hours eating, drinking and watching everything waiting for the main event! Then, 12 seconds later, we all walked home. 

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, njbuff said:

The draft is freaking AWESOME 

The draft is popular because of the following:

Despite TV ratings - the NFL is popular, especially due to Fantasy Football

Because of the contract structures of the NFL with the salary cap - the draft is vital to a teams success - unlike other leagues where you can pay a "tax" to go over the cap.

College football fans also enjoy seeing their team's athletes succeed and watch for that purpose as well.

The timing of it - if the NBA Finals were on during the same time, or some other big sporting event, it would be less popular, but really it is the sports news - moreso than round 1 of the NBA playoffs and early season MLB games.  If some NBA favorite is facing elimination on Thursday - that could change some viewing habits, but that wouldn't reduce the hype already surrounding this.

6 minutes ago, MTBill said:

The draft is popular because of the following:

Despite TV ratings - the NFL is popular, especially due to Fantasy Football

Because of the contract structures of the NFL with the salary cap - the draft is vital to a teams success - unlike other leagues where you can pay a "tax" to go over the cap.

College football fans also enjoy seeing their team's athletes succeed and watch for that purpose as well.

The timing of it - if the NBA Finals were on during the same time, or some other big sporting event, it would be less popular, but really it is the sports news - moreso than round 1 of the NBA playoffs and early season MLB games.  If some NBA favorite is facing elimination on Thursday - that could change some viewing habits, but that wouldn't reduce the hype already surrounding this.

HOPE. We all crave hope! 

• Like (+1) 1

Love the draft.  Perfect combination of football during a dry spell, boundless hope and optimism, the human drama of kids making good on their life's ambition.  So much better now that they don't tip the picks (unless you seek out spoilers).  A++ would watch again.

2 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Love the draft.  Perfect combination of football during a dry spell, boundless hope and optimism, the human drama of kids making good on their life's ambition.  So much better now that they don't tip the picks (unless you seek out spoilers).  A++ would watch again.

Dry spell?  March madness just ended amd nba playoffs are going on along with MLB and soon NHL playoffs.  Ha.  Just messin with ya.  Human drama was on high last year with the gas mask bong.  Hole-E!

No. Love this. Christmas in April

19 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The Draft is absolutely one of the worst things in sports. I can't wait until this team finds a QB so I can stop caring about it every October through April.

Sure, it is fine to watch the first round or two. Now especially since they sped it up, it used to be absolutely dreadful when the clock was 15 mins for every pick. 

The incessant talk, and the mock drafts where analysts say, "this isn't what I would do, but it's what I think they will do" Only to be wrong 75% of the time. How about that they say it's not what they'd do, and what they think others will do, and they still suck at their job. The planted stories, all of it is just too much. Nothing else in sports compares. Once this team gets good again, I can't wait to completely check out on the draft until like the week before. Perhaps this year has been more fatiguing than any other year because we all started looking at it as soon as the Bills traded back last year. The draft wasn't even completed and you had professionals speculating what the Bills are going to do in this draft. 

It's awful.

Okay, okay... I'll get off your lawn.

...the youngins' don't remember when this bad boy was SEVENTEEN rounds in the late 60's and early 70's....ANY idea how many kids were conceived during rounds 8-17???....either that or watch that can of Sherwin Williams can dry on your porch...pick your poison.............or "pleasure"...LOL.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Over-hyped and over-rated things:

MLB: Spring Training

NHL: Outdoor games

NBA: Dunk Contest

College Basketball: Brackets

Golf: Ryder Cup

That's not even including things like Wrestlemania, The Olympics or anything with Soccer.

But for me it's the Daytona 500. 

Being a Bills Fan is a good reason to scorn the draft. Year after year we turn our backs on qbs and blockers in order to draft running backs and defensive backs.  I mean who needs Deshaun Watson when there are corners out there?

Maybe this will be the season where the stupidity ends. We can only hope.

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the youngins' don't remember when this bad boy was SEVENTEEN rounds in the late 60's and early 70's....ANY idea how many kids were conceived during rounds 8-17???....either that or watch that can of Sherwin Williams can dry on your porch...pick your poison.............or "pleasure"...LOL.............

I remember them being SEVENTEEN rounds but no one in the 60's and 70's was bored.  They weren't TELEVISED until 1980.

22 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I love the schedule release special on ESPN.  Hey, here's the top 10 games we already knew were going to be scheduled (14 of them 16 years in advance), but we're going to act like it's breaking news.

this! and there are sponsors to host that show!

My draft fatigue is at an all-time high. I'm getting to the point that I could care less who the Bills pick, just get it over with already and I'll deal.

Is there really any valid reason the NFL doesn't schedule the draft earlier except for the hype machine?