Tyler Dunne heard Cordy Glenn "checked out" after big contract

On a podcast called Moranalytics (hosted by that Patrick Moran guy), Tyler Dunne talked about how he heard Cordy Glenn "checked out" after signing his big contract extension and many in the organization were more than happy to see him go.

I found it kind of interesting because we've never really heard that type of stuff about Glenn. He's always been said to be a quiet guy but a good teammate, somewhat of a leader on the OL. Plus, after he came off that season where he struggled with an illness, he came back for OTAs in the best shape of his life, showing his dedication to the diet and fitness plan given to him by the trainers. 

Here's the link for anyone that wants to check it out: http://moranalytics.com/tyler-dunne-bleacher-report-podcast/

• Thank you (+1) 1

Wouldn't surprise me simply for the fact that it was pretty damn apparent that Beane/McD were trying to ship him off for quite some time.   No, I have no proof of that other than what I heard and my intuition.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
7 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

On a podcast called Moranalytics (hosted by that Patrick Moran guy), Tyler Dunne talked about how he heard Cordy Glenn "checked out" after signing his big contract extension and many in the organization were more than happy to see him go.

I found it kind of interesting because we've never really heard that type of stuff about Glenn. He's always been said to be a quiet guy but a good teammate, somewhat of a leader on the OL. Plus, after he came off that season where he struggled with an illness, he came back for OTAs in the best shape of his life, showing his dedication to the diet and fitness plan given to him by the trainers. 

Here's the link for anyone that wants to check it out: http://moranalytics.com/tyler-dunne-bleacher-report-podcast/

I think people go overthink the players maintaining a good diet and being dedicated to staying in good shape.  Just because you are a healthy person and want to be in good physical shape, does not mean you want to grind out practice 3-4 times a week and go through the physical pounding each and every football game brings.

Cordy Glenn wants to be healthy and fit like much of society.  He is willing to eat well and stay good shape.  That is something completely separate from still being dedicated to put in the mental work, take the physical pounding of the actual game, and take the necessary recovery steps post game in season, needed to maintain a high level of play throughout a season.  That is the challenge teams face when they give guys like Glenn $65 million deal with $26.5 million guaranteed.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/bills-tackle-cordy-glenn-misses-practice-foot-soreness/

My feet hurt?! Cordy you look like you're 400 damn pounds stop eating so much.

He does look pretty freaking huge in that picture.  The fact that Beane was able to get the equivalent of a 2nd for him is amazing.  

Just now, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

He does look pretty freaking huge in that picture.  The fact that Beane was able to get the equivalent of a 2nd for him is amazing.  

Believe it or not a picture surfaced of him stretching later in the year and he looked even worse. I can't find it right now, I remember him being in a practice jersey and down one knee. 

Certainly had the physique of a guy who checked out.

8 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

We never hear a single thing said about Cordy and then, as soon as he leaves, all this **** starts coming out? I'm not saying that Tyler is a liar but it doesn't smell right to me.

I was going to say the same. He's always seemed like a good guy, stays quiet, out of trouble. Pretty much exactly what McDermott looks for in a player, as far as character.

He was a 2nd round pick, so it's not like he didn't have money prior to his extension. I think, if anything, his ankle didn't "check out", and the Bills got lucky enough to find a cheaper, younger, healthier replacement. 

1 minute ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I was going to say the same. He's always seemed like a good guy, stays quiet, out of trouble. Pretty much exactly what McDermott looks for in a player, as far as character.

He was a 2nd round pick, so it's not like he didn't have money prior to his extension. I think, if anything, his ankle didn't "check out", and the Bills got lucky enough to find a cheaper, younger, healthier replacement. 

If the story goes that Cordy was making more money than they wanted to pay considering Dion seems capable of playing the spot on a rookie deal, I can buy that. Combined with the injury and the whole pursuit of the QB thing, moving him on made perfect sense.

I just really hope that this isn't a sign of things to come. Guys like Sammy and Marcell, I can get why coaches might not be willing to put up with their ****. If they're going to talk crap about guys like Cordy that have given the team so much in the past, the Process might want a look in the mirror.

• Like (+1) 3

Something that has plagued the Bills far too long during the drought years were too many "good moral character guys" who don't get in trouble and know how to say the right things but lack the relentlessness the kind of players that want to be great and win championships need to have.

I def have been a Cordy Glenn fan

That said....something was very strange here.....you just dont take good OLT's and trade them if you think they are going to be good for YOU.

That means that Glenn was going to continually be chronically injured......or there was a attitude problem......or something.   i feel like the coaching staff that got us to the playoffs for the first time in like 15 years deserves the benefit of the doubt here

• Like (+1) 1

Something was definitely afoot with both Cordy and Sammy during their last seasons on the roster, respectively.

And yes, pun intended.  There seemed to be a constant, secret fight going on between those players and the team doctors about whether they were well enough to be on the field, the result of which left both players, and the team, resenting and mistrusting each other.

Very, very strange.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Something was definitely afoot with both Cordy and Sammy during their last seasons on the roster, respectively.

And yes, pun intended.  There seemed to be a constant, secret fight going on between those players and the team doctors about whether they were well enough to be on the field, the result of which left both players, and the team, resenting and mistrusting each other.

Very, very strange.

Yeah... and also Dareus talked to someone on this forum (can't remember who), but he basically told them that he and Cordy would be dealt before the deadline. He was kind of right. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Wow.  Ty is a very reliable reporter and I’m pretty sure he’s not just embellishing.  

Agreed.  

This is why any “rumors” coming from OBD should be talen with a pound of salt.   

They locked the leaks up tighter than the hatches on a nukular submarine.  

I bet donny is jealous. 

Leadership baby 

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

You needed to hear it from a reporter? Perhaps you didn't see the picture this season where Cordy looked like he ate a small rhino.

Pics or it didnt Happen

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

I have trouble believing the substance of this (whether Ty Dunne heard this from someone or not).  The guy (Cordy) came back from a kidney transplant to play in the freaking NFL.  How much more dedication does one have to show.  It sounds like someone is trying to gratuitously bad mouth Cordy (as has happened after some of the others have departed).

As for Ty Dunne, he is a wonderful features writer, but I do not seem to recall him breaking a lot of stories.  I could be wrong on that, but national people like Adam Schefter and Josina Anderson seem to break many more Buffalo Bills stories than any (or at least most) of the guys that are based locally.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Peter said:

I could be wrong on that, but national people like Adam Schefter and Josina Anderson seem to break many more Buffalo Bills stories than any (or at least most) of the guys that are based locally.

That is because most of the writers based locally have shown they are more opposition press than supportive press.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Very, very strange.

Maybe Cordy put his foot down, really wanted to play guard, and disagreed with Buddy Nix all along. :lol:

Edited by BillsVet

3 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Not surprised. This falls directly in line with the toxic culture established at One Bills Drive over the past 20 (maybe 50) years.

We heard it from Watkins. We heard it from Dareus. Now Glenn. How many more young stars need to check out before we realize the problem starts higher up? Hopefully, McD is getting this turned around. I believe he's on the right track.