Bills Sign Newhouse and Bodine

16 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

On point. From T mobile.... to immobile. 

Doesn’t matter if he can get the ball out on time. People don’t realize how well our line was doing because Taylor held it way too long til someone was wide open. 

Most of the running around he did was because of how long it took him to find a receiver. Not because of the line. 

Lauding Taylor for keeping a play going when he was the cause is took so long to begin with was the main reason people think our line was worse than it was. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Interesting how it seems we've made obtaining OL depth such a priority this year, even though it was just as much of a need last year.

since last year is past tense. I'm looking at this year, the here and now, last year doesn't matter anymore. so it is a good thing they're meeting the need this year, no?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't know anything about these players, but some fellas who seem to know what they are talking about have classified them as poor players.  What I meant by desperation, however, was not that it was a move of desperation by OBD, but that a team only plays subpar players when forced to; desperate in that sense.  I am fine with signing average players with experience.  

Gotcha and that makes sense.  On another note,  Marvin Lewis had nothing but good things to say about Bodine.  We'll see how it all shakes out, but I like adding veteran depth to the OL. 

• Like (+1) 1

The imminent trade up because they signed 2 vetran lineman is a bit ridiculous.  They traded a tackle and the starting center retired.  Were they suppose to field a team of rookies?

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

Definitely needed some depth at center and Tackle position.  Let them fight it out in camp

Exactly! You can still use a few of our many picks on OL. Or to trade up. I trust this FO more than anything I can remember in a long, long time. 

Bodine is bad. But they do need someone to fill the backup C/LG role Groy filled last year, so whatever. Works for me. Newhouse is essentially replacing Seantrel Henderson as a depth tackle

48 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think with losing Wood and Henderson, it becomes especially important.

Do either of these signings have a real shot at contributing? I dont know them very well

i think it's huge! i'm psyched! i can't see how newhouse doesn't automatically start at rt. i think connor mcd may have some upside and is fine for depth so cutting mills should be a wash money wise.

seems like we got a helluva center as well. that could give them the option of cutting ducasse and moving groy to guard with miller as depth. i love these guys!

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen or Mayfield could fall all the way to 7-9 and we could trade up. It all depends on Denver. Just because analysts say what they think it doesn't mean that 1-2 guys won't drop...

I want to wait until draft day and move to #9 from #22; If we trade #22, #56 and #96 to SF 49ers (they have no 2nd rounder) for pick #9 and their #124. 

I would be satisfied with #9 Allen/Mayfield, #12 Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds, then still have picks #53, #65, rounds 4-6. This team is built to win on defense and needs help on the offensive line badly.

51 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Maybe, we'll see.  They still need linebackers.  Like two or three of them.

i'm not buying it , but given it's draft diamonds i can see it coming. i think it all depends on the jets. i can't see the giants giving up the no.2 pick. last time they picked this high they got eli.....not to mention barkley will be there.

if the jets take allen and mayfield is still there at 4, i think that deal's already been hashed out with cle. i can't see them bending over for allen.

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Come on now. Bodine is an average backup just due to his experience. Newhouse I'll give you. 

Not sure Bodine is the kind of OL depth I'd sign. Not just because I think he's borderline useless, really don't think he's got any C/G flexibility.

28 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

These signings tell me Lamar Jackson will be the pick. With this Right side of the O line the QB will be running for their life.

A qb who can digest plays, audible at the line, and throw quickly is the way to help a struggling line. 

Getting another runner back there is the exact opposite of what you need. Another ball carrier the oline will have to continue blocking for doesn’t help the line one bit. 

Case in point Brady and Manning can’t run for squat. 

How people dont don’t understand this is bewildering. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Blokestradamus said:

Not sure Bodine is the kind of OL depth I'd sign. Not just because I think he's borderline useless, really don't think he's got any C/G flexibility.

Groy does. Maybe they finally let him compete at G. Been seeing Bodine is a pretty good run blocker. Power is his game..just what Daboll is expected to bring. Could be a good fit.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/03/6_things_to_know_about_new_buffalo_bills_ot_marshall_newhouse.html

Versatile

Sean McDermott likes versatile players. This may be one of the reasons that Newhouse was signed by the team. Although most of his playing time has come at offensive tackle, Newhouse played guard due to injuries with the Packers and Giants. One position Newhouse cannot play is running back as evidenced by his attempt to run with a fumble in a game against the Dolphins.

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

They always do. Somebody always gets injured. They will play at some point.

They cannot all be Bruce Matthews  (he started in 293 of 296 games for ONE team).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Oh for christ sake

We expect our backups to be pro bowlers?   Getting backups with vet experience are about as good as its gonna get in this league.

Exactly, having veteran backups is a great thing on any team. It seems people think every player we sign is here to start.