Bills Sign Newhouse and Bodine

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Bodine is not depth, I actually thought he was a RFA , what an underrated signing, 25 years old, has the 2nd lonest active streak to only Travis fredrick, the dude hasn't missed a game and only surrendered 1 sack, 1 QB hit and 3 penalties all last season. Great signing for us and gives groy serious competition, I fully expect Bodine to be the starter for us.

"Bodine is the worst center I have ever seen"  --longtime Bengals fan. 

6 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Didnt realize NFL teams had all-pro reserve o-linemen waiting in the wings.  I must be missing something.  

They don't have to be all pro, but they need to be serviceable - or maybe you like the idea of McCarron getting pummeled?

Buffalo's RT situation is bad.  Has been for years now.

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

They don't have to be all pro, but they need to be serviceable - or maybe you like the idea of McCarron getting pummeled?

Buffalo's RT situation is bad.  Has been for years now.

And the second we actually got two good tackles on the roster we traded one to ensure the 5th best QB in the draft (absent another move up).

14 hours ago, Dr. K said:

One of my old friends is a diehard Bengals fan. What he says about the Bills' acquisitions from the Bengals does not speak well about McBeane and "The Process":

"McCarron is a great leader, smart, relatively accurate, arm like a wet noodle. Hope the improved draft position turns out well. Bodine on the other hand is the worst center I have ever seen." 

So, basically Bengals fans act the same way as Buffalo fans when a player gets signed/traded away. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Limeaid said:

So sorry they disappointed you and won games you thought (not a lot of effort there) they should have lost, lose any money betting against the Bills?

Thanks for the sarcasm.

You do realize that the Head Coach says his team basically has said that the team isn't nearly as far ahead as their record indicates, right? It's not what I thought,s*t for brains. It's things like pythag, it's things like your own head coach has said.

Go back to sleep.

I think judging centers is really hard. I don't know a whole lot about Bodine. To really understand a center's job you have to know which protection is called etc etc. What I do know is we only got one sack against the "terrible" Bengals O-line and just 2 sacks in two years.  I know people who analyze these films and stuff for the internet are, for the most part, good at what they do. I don't put a lot of weight on their center grades just because the center has such a complicated job and you would have to know the game plan and protection scheme. Protections can be rather complicated depending on the front and who you are sliding to and such. I'm not sure some guy at PFF would be privy to that information. 

I suppose it is good competition for Groy. I still don't understand why they didn't try Groy at RG. 

Also Newhouse has some experience at guard as well. Could we see him kick into guard where his pass protection woes might not be as bad? 

6 hours ago, Ned Kelly said:

If they want to go...let them

I like the way things are going. 

Build the O/line and d/line.

We proved we can build db's with scraps.

No point bringing in any of the Qb's from the draft just to get smashed

Signing these two guys is not the right way to build a o-line...they are both below average players,period.

Edited by Misterbluesky

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

And the second we actually got two good tackles on the roster we traded one to ensure the 5th best QB in the draft (absent another move up).

Exactly. And they tell us we should "trust the process." Such colossal BS. These guys are blind squirrels trying to find a nut who think they are Einstein. 

6 hours ago, Ned Kelly said:

If they want to go...let them

I like the way things are going. 

Build the O/line and d/line.

We proved we can build db's with scraps.

No point bringing in any of the Qb's from the draft just to get smashed

Build the O-line? McDermott & Beane came in and changed the blocking system, turning an successful o-line into a mediocre one. Then they trade away a first rate LT in order to move up in the draft so they can get the fifth best QB available, then try to fill in with a couple of failures off the scrap heap. "The worst center I have ever seen."

Edited by Dr. K

Just now, Dr. K said:

Build the O-line? The came in and changed the blocking system, turning an successful o-line into a mediocre one. Then they trade away a first rate LT in order to move up in the draft so they can get the fifth best QB available, then try to fill in with a couple of failures off the scrap heap. "The worst center I have ever seen."

Where did anyone say that they would be starting? Come on, use your brain. 

I'm at a loss to understand so much nastiness about these signings??

1)  Bills have no money=no premium lineman free agents

2)  Center just retired by surprise, so a 25 year old 4 year starter is signed to a reasonable deal

3)  Thin at tackle with Hendersen and Glenn gone- go get a tackle with plenty of starting experience

4)  I don't think many people, myself included, are qualified to judge oline play with any finality.  Don't go find quotes from a Benals fan or Blogger and all of a sudden that opinion is a fact

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Build the O-line? McDermott & Beane came in and changed the blocking system, turning an successful o-line into a mediocre one. Then they trade away a first rate LT in order to move up in the draft so they can get the fifth best QB available, then try to fill in with a couple of failures off the scrap heap. "The worst center I have ever seen."

Our OC Dennison was responsible for the change in run-scheme.  He was fired.

Cody Glenn Traded due to his cap#

They also haven't drafted anyone... including the 5th best qb.

Edited by Jobot

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

Exactly. And they tell us we should "trust the process." Such colossal BS. These guys are blind squirrels trying to find a nut who think they are Einstein. 

Playoffs baby. Quit your whining because we are going again this year and it’s all because of the process.

22 minutes ago, Jobot said:

For pity's sake, who hired Dennison? McDermott is responsible.

They are hurting for a right tackle and they get rid of Glenn, creating a weakness. They did not need to do so. Now they have to scramble to come up with some barely adequate--if that--replacement. 

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is what I had always heard, which is why I was excited about Castillo being hired. 

Maybe his reputation took a hit with some of that stuff in Baltimore, but I had always read/heard that he was one of the most well respected o line coaches in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

They are hurting for a right tackle and they get rid of Glenn, creating a weakness. They did not need to do so. Now they have to scramble to come up with some barely adequate--if that--replacement. 

Yeah... definitely a realistic expectation to be 100% on every personnel move in your first year as a head coach... Dennison was also not his first choice.

hmmm... if only there was some sort of organized lottery system where you could add football players that recently played in college to better your team... meh, it's probably wouldn't help in building an O-line anyways...

2 hours ago, Jobot said:

Are you sure Dennison was responsible?  The  Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator Juan Castillo was hired before the OC got here and the OL got worse with his coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Are you sure Dennison was responsible?  The  Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator Juan Castillo was hired before the OC got here and the OL got worse with his coaching.

regardless what the exact reason, Dennison wasn't able to right the ship.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

This is what I had always heard, which is why I was excited about Castillo being hired. 

Maybe his reputation took a hit with some of that stuff in Baltimore, but I had always read/heard that he was one of the most well respected o line coaches in the NFL. 

If Johnny Castle can turn Bodine/Ducasse/Newhouse into a passable starting trio then I will have to start calling him Jesus Christillo.

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If Johnny Castle can turn Bodine/Ducasse/Newhouse into a passable starting trio then I will have to start calling him Jesus Christillo.

Lmao

I'm hoping it ends up more like Groy/Miller/draft pick  lol

But if not, hopefully they're just cheap depth until that $40 some million in dead cap falls of next season. 

I'll give them a chsnce though. Any player can look better in a system more tailored to their strengths. Look at the difference in our O line from Roman/Kromer's scheme to Dennison's... (I'm not counting on it though). 

3 hours ago, Dr. K said:

It sounds good in theory, but I just want to point out that Glenn was not the teams starting RT last season, has never shown that he can play RT effectively and almost certainly wouldn't want to play there anyway since the big money is at LT.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Lmao

I'm hoping it ends up more like Groy/Miller/draft pick  lol

But if not, hopefully they're just cheap depth until that $40 some million in dead cap falls of next season. 

I'll give them a chsnce though. Any player can look better in a system more tailored to their strengths. Look at the difference in our O line from Roman/Kromer's scheme to Dennison's... (I'm not counting on it though). 

That's fair..........people forget that the Bills OL was seen as a disaster area when Rex took over.

Wood had been garbage under Marrone and was half-expecting to be cut that offseason......RG and RT were seen as gaping holes.....and people rolled eyes at the Incognito signing after he'd been out of football for a year and a half.  

Funny how Minnesota Vikings offensive line was seen as train wreck a couple years ago and seen as a strength last year........after adding Mike Remmers to the lineup.........the former Panther whipping boy who Von Miller "Max Lane'd" in the SB.

It's great to have singular physical talents like......Glenn or Dawkins..........but as the Pats show us time and again it's about getting the 5 playing as a unit and having a franchise QB behind them.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, vincec said:

It sounds good in theory, but I just want to point out that Glenn was not the teams starting RT last season, has never shown that he can play RT effectively and almost certainly wouldn't want to play there anyway since the big money is at LT.

I honestly don't know why everyone assumes either Dawkins or Glenn could play RT.

Neither have ever shown any ability in their careers to play RT. 

They tried Dawkins there last season and Mills easily outplayed him there. 

And Rex tried Glenn at RT during training camp (in 2015 I believe) and he really struggled there as well. I believe Marrone  at have possibly tried him there too IIRC (but I'm not sure on that. 

Its hard to switch from from one side of the line to the other. These guys spend years building up their muscle memory on one side of the line and it's totally different on the other side. You almost have to re-learn the position in some ways. It can be done I'm sure, butnitd take time and probably be much easier to just take a RT in the mid/late rounds of the draft (and you have to factor in Glenn's salary too. You're not paying him all that money just to have him struggle for a season or more learning RT). 

Look what pro bowl G Josh Sitton had to say in this subject -

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/974682257150676993?s=20

(I didn't want to embed the tweet because it has a swear word in it and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it here) 

From what I have heard Newhouse is a good backup swing tackle, nice depth move. Bodine as a starter I wouldn't be enthused about but as a backup I really like the move. Two quality bench offensive lineman. A nice mid free agency period move. Although I think ideally the team should still draft a guard in rounds 4-5 to be the last bench o-lineman and push to get Miller/Ducasse out of the RG spot or be the heir apparent for Incog in 2019. 

Edited by billsfan89

the process is a slow moving entity.

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

From what I have heard Newhouse is a good backup swing tackle, nice depth move. Bodine as a starter I wouldn't be enthused about but as a backup I really like the move. Two quality bench offensive lineman. A nice mid free agency period move. Although I think ideally the team should still draft a guard in rounds 4-5 to be the last bench o-lineman and push to get Miller/Ducasse out of the RG spot or be the heir apparent for Incog in 2019. 

If Jordan  Mills and Vlad Ducasse are still on the team , and playing for anything more than Vet min ( or thereabouts ) and as back ups.,  i will be bummed out. Coaching can't fix that crap. They can band aid it. but thats BS

get Miller back into the game or move Groy to RG and Bodine to C. fix that darned RT position please. Barely serviceable is not good enough

13 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

the process is a slow moving entity.

If Jordan  Mills and Vlad Ducasse are still on the team , and playing for anything more than Vet min ( or thereabouts ) and as back ups.,  i will be bummed out. Coaching can't fix that crap. They can band aid it. but thats BS

get Miller back into the game or move Groy to RG and Bodine to C. fix that darned RT position please. Barely serviceable is not good enough

I think Miller is gone although I think that he could be effective on another team he just isn't fitting the blocking scheme the team wants to run. I think they probably were trying to trade him but might just roll with him as a camp body and make him a cut at some point. Ducasse I see as a bench player (Although the coaching staff loves him so who the !@#$ knows) since he is versatile being able to play either guard position or RT. I honestly wouldn't hate Ducasse as a backup Guard/RT but I would much rather they go with a 4th or 5th round pick occupying that spot.  As far as RT I think there is a chance that Mills starts. Now I think Beane would prefer to draft a RT to start and keep Mills as a camp body to compete with Newhouse off the bench. 

I like the effort to get more depth on the o-line but that right side is still a mess with Ducasse/Miller and Mills starting at this moment. I think you have to address that RT spot in the draft high. RG I think you should address but in the cap era (And assuming you make a massive trade up gutting a good chunk of draft picks) you have to make compromises and given the choice between upgrading RG or RT in the draft I would go with RT. 

19 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Miller is gone although I think that he could be effective on another team he just isn't fitting the blocking scheme the team wants to run. I think they probably were trying to trade him but might just roll with him as a camp body and make him a cut at some point. Ducasse I see as a bench player (Although the coaching staff loves him so who the !@#$ knows) since he is versatile being able to play either guard position or RT. I honestly wouldn't hate Ducasse as a backup Guard/RT but I would much rather they go with a 4th or 5th round pick occupying that spot.  As far as RT I think there is a chance that Mills starts. Now I think Beane would prefer to draft a RT to start and keep Mills as a camp body to compete with Newhouse off the bench. 

I like the effort to get more depth on the o-line but that right side is still a mess with Ducasse/Miller and Mills starting at this moment. I think you have to address that RT spot in the draft high. RG I think you should address but in the cap era (And assuming you make a massive trade up gutting a good chunk of draft picks) you have to make compromises and given the choice between upgrading RG or RT in the draft I would go with RT. 

My concern with drafting a RT is getting up to NFL speed. I am sure that phrasing is overused but, drafting a later round fellow likely means a prospect.

Something i certainly am keeping my eye upon. especially so since they retained Castillo after letting Kromer go. Good post 89

5 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Can he catch the ball?

someone should really be thinking about this exact thing. Someone like Beane perhaps.

who the heck are the receivers this year.

Another year of injured scrubs just won't cut it.

and we want to draft our future QB after trading up? With a crap O line and no WRs to mention?

hmmmm...

there, i said it finally

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

My concern with drafting a RT is getting up to NFL speed. I am sure that phrasing is overused but, drafting a later round fellow likely means a prospect.

Something i certainly am keeping my eye upon. especially so since they retained Castillo after letting Kromer go. Good post 89

I think if you draft a RT around pick 53 or 56 I think you, of course, run the risk of a player not being ready to step in right away. But I think that Newhouse isn't the worst option to put up against a rookie RT.