Bills Sign Newhouse and Bodine

49 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Miller is gone although I think that he could be effective on another team he just isn't fitting the blocking scheme the team wants to run. I think they probably were trying to trade him but might just roll with him as a camp body and make him a cut at some point. Ducasse I see as a bench player (Although the coaching staff loves him so who the !@#$ knows) since he is versatile being able to play either guard position or RT. I honestly wouldn't hate Ducasse as a backup Guard/RT but I would much rather they go with a 4th or 5th round pick occupying that spot.  As far as RT I think there is a chance that Mills starts. Now I think Beane would prefer to draft a RT to start and keep Mills as a camp body to compete with Newhouse off the bench. 

I like the effort to get more depth on the o-line but that right side is still a mess with Ducasse/Miller and Mills starting at this moment. I think you have to address that RT spot in the draft high. RG I think you should address but in the cap era (And assuming you make a massive trade up gutting a good chunk of draft picks) you have to make compromises and given the choice between upgrading RG or RT in the draft I would go with RT. 

Brian Daboll runs a diverse power run scheme so Milller could very well fit much better in this new system on offense. At least that's my hope! 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Brian Daboll runs a diverse power run scheme so Milller could very well fit much better in this new system on offense. At least that's my hope! 

Could be, I thought Miller in 2015 and 2016 was an above average guard, not a mauler but more than capable. Hopefully, this new system plays to Miller's strengths more because a decent RG is a huge upgrade from the play they got out of that position last season. If they feel Miller could return to form under the new system I am fine with him as the RG and Ducasse as his backup but they need to draft a RT high and dump Mills. 

Looks like he turned down a long term deal from Cincy...

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/3/20/17141958/russell-bodine-turned-down-long-term-contract-offer-bengals

The deal the Bengals offered is said to have been for five-years with little guarantees but far more potential earnings than the two-year, $5 million deal he signed with Buffalo. Bodine turned down the Bengals’ offer and took a gamble on himself in Buffalo.

I will hold out some hope for Bodine . Seems Bills feel fairly strong about him starting.

As mentioned above,  Daboll has a diverse portfolio from everything I have read and that's where i gain some confidence in turning the O line around from last year 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t post much but if I may offer a thought...

Good depth signings and short deals. I may be wrong and I’m sure some may correct me but many of our depth pickups have been pretty short deals. This, to me, may signal that we are going to be aggressive in the draft and go after a quarterback that the management believes in. This may signal some amount of regression this year but we have to “trust the process” here, right? I think I have heard that we now could have upwards of $80-$90million in cap room next year after our recent moves. These short term deals are cheap stop gaps to fill holes that we may not be able to in the draft then next year we can be aggressive and build around a young stud quarterback. 

And i I also see us continuing to invest in defense for more long term. If we have a good defense in place we won’t be asking a young qb to win every game for us. Again, to me, this seems like a smart way to build rather than the “draft a QB and he’ll be our savior” mentality that teams like Cleveland seem to maintain. 

Whew!...sorry...I’ll post again in a few years. GO BILLS!!!

Edited by Bills Dad
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Bills Dad said:

I don’t post much but if I may offer a thought...

Good depth signings and short deals. I may be wrong and I’m sure some may correct me but many of our depth pickups have been pretty short deals. This, to me, may signal that we are going to be aggressive in the draft and go after a quarterback that the management believes in. This may signal some amount of regression this year but we have to “trust the process” here, right? I think I have heard that we now could have upwards of $80-$90million in cap room next year after our recent moves. These short term deals are cheap stop gaps to fill holes that we may not be able to in the draft then next year we can be aggressive and build around a young stud quarterback. 

And i I also see us continuing to invest in defense for more long term. If we have a good defense in place we won’t be asking a young qb to win every game for us. Again, to me, this seems like a smart way to build rather than the “draft a QB and he’ll be our savior” mentality that teams like Cleveland seem to maintain. 

Whew!...sorry...I’ll post again in a few years. GO BILLS!!!

My take is admittedly different than many others that believe that this accumulated draft capital will all be bundled up and shipped off for a shiny new quarterback.  Right now, I see the Bills signing younger starters to longer deals and older starters to shorter deals to fill out the starting roster.  The exception (obviously) is A.J. McCarron.  He's playing on a "show me" contract.  At 27 years old, he's pretty much betting on himself.  When I think about WHY the Bills brass would want to have starters ready at each position, I immediately think about draft flexibility.  If I want to take "best player available" regardless of position, I do not want to be in a position from a roster perspective where I'm taking guys ahead of where they should go because I'm extremely thin at one or more positions.  Davis, Latulelei, Murphy, McCarron, Newhouse, and Bodine are all starters right now.  In addition, if you have huge holes to fill, other teams are going to know that.  Gives them leverage if and when you try to trade up to get the guys that you want.  

If 12, 22, 53, 56, 65 are all best available player, the Bills could land 3-4 immediate starters and potential studs to build this team around.  I can't say I hate that at all, even if one of the picks is used on one of these 5 flawed QB's.  Certainly better than giving away 4-5 picks and still ending up with a flawed QB that may never develop.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:31 PM, KW95 said:

Racist.  Just cuz hes white doesn't mean he can't move.

It just means he can't dance.

This is such an interesting thread.

Depth and competition. That's what you're watching. Depth and competition. Maybe they cut it, maybe they don't, but to be sitting in your basement convinced that Team McBeane are having an underwhelming offseason is mind boggling.

Otherwise,  someone needs to call Roger Goodell because the number of people here who are convinced they're smarter than all the other NFL coaches and GMs is incredible.

4 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

It just means he can't dance.

This is such an interesting thread.

Depth and competition. That's what you're watching. Depth and competition. Maybe they cut it, maybe they don't, but to be sitting in your basement convinced that Team McBeane are having an underwhelming offseason is mind boggling.

Otherwise,  someone needs to call Roger Goodell because the number of people here who are convinced they're smarter than all the other NFL coaches and GMs is incredible.

You have to admit most of the people on this board have been smarter than the Bills GMs for the past 20 years.

They signed: 

Murphy

McCarron

Lotulelei

Stanford

Bush

Bodine

Newhouse

Ivory

and lost:

Seantrel Henderson

Preston Brown

Deonte Thompson 

Sharece Wright

EJ Gaines and Jordan Mathews still out there.  It doesn't look like we are getting any compensatory picks.  Man I hope EJ re-signs with the Bills!  That would be one less hole to fill

Edited by Pete

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

They signed: 

Murphy

McCarron

Lotulelei

Stanford

Bush

Bodine

Newhouse

Ivory

and lost:

Seantrel Henderson

Preston Brown

Deonte Thompson 

Sharece Wright

EJ Gaines and Jordan Mathews still out there.  It doesn't look like we are getting any compensatory picks.  Man I hope EJ re-signs with the Bills!  That would be one less hole to fill

It's a little too soon to say yet. Buffalo still has 10 players who are unsigned free agents. Plus you have until week 10 to potentially cut any of those players the Bills signed before comp picks are calculated and they count. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

Ivory doesn't count towards the comp pick formula btw. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

They signed: 

Murphy

McCarron

Lotulelei

Stanford

Bush

Bodine

Newhouse

Ivory

and lost:

Seantrel Henderson

Preston Brown

Deonte Thompson 

Sharece Wright

Who cares about comp picks. How many of them actually work out?

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

Who cares about comp picks. How many of them actually work out?

Not a Comp pick crusader, I do believe all picks have value, but here is a list of a few who worked out.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000336907     list is 3 years old so there may be others to add. You fill a roster the best you can, if you get xtra picks great.