Bills Sign Newhouse and Bodine

3 hours ago, Magox said:

I wouldn't categorize these signings as "depth" but more so as competition.

It's quite possible that they could end up being starters this year.  I think it also adds credence to the idea that we may be trading up as well.

If these two signees become starters....we are in for a looooong season.

11 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I remember a few years ago we cut a couple guys, Glenn Parker and Dusty Ziegler, put them on the scrap heap.  The next Super Bowl they were starting for the Giants.  Patriots always seem to have a good line, as do the Steelers.  I'm thinking that a good OL coach can turn these pieces of meat into good linemen.  They were good enough athletes go get through college and make a pro football roster.  They ain't junk, no matter what the pundits in this group surmise.  

We either trust Beane or we don't.  I was happy when they traded Sammy and got EJ and a 4th rounder.  I was thrilled when they got a 3rd rounder and Matthews from Philly.  Now, Matthews failed to live up to even his own expectations, but was hurt all year.  We got draft capital that they will probably use to move up and get the quarterback they want.

I read that Beane says he's not ready to decide which guy he wants.  They've only spent 15 minutes with each candidate.  There's a lot of time between now and the draft.  They will pick the guy they want, and I think they'll get him.  At least that's what they'll say in the press conference:  "This is the guy we targeted all along!"  Bam!

He only spent 15 minutes talking to each candidate.  Beane and his staff have spent untold hours studying tape on each guy and talking to as many people who know them as they could dig up.  I'm pretty sure Beane has a good idea who he wants from this QB class.  

And you're right, regardless of the actual board, Beane and McD will tell you how excited they are to get the guys they draft.  

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yeah, if they are looking for him to start, sure it's bad.

Groy has been good when called upon and he deserves the first shot to start.

Nwehouse is strictly depth. The organization is said to really like McDermott at RT. That's one of the big reasons they moved Glenn.

And in not counting out the Bills for drafting an OL high.

Keep in mind Newhouse has also played Guard, which adds versatility and I like Bodine for the anticipated Offensive power scheme which is where he plays his best ball...Astro put something out on Twitter to this effect. 

And I trust Beane so I’m good with this...makes sense to me.

3 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

Maybe, we'll see.  They still need linebackers.  Like two or three of them.

I agree. I feel they draft mlb very high.

Milano ,Lorax (though I know he will be playing DE more) are  the only guys who have contributed. 

Vallejo(drafted last year), Lacey, Stanford I believe are the only other LB currently on roster, hopefully they see upside in a couple of those guys. I anticipate a MLB in Rd 1 or 2 and outside LB in the middle of draft. 

But Preston and Humber (likely) are the only losses at LB , and the improved DL will definitely make the LB corps job much easier, and they played fairly well last year, so I'm not too concerned with our lack of talent at LB.

If people really want the Bills to use all those draft picks for a trade up, these are pretty much the type of cheaper depth signings they will have to make to fill holes and at least give them a chance to help open up those picks for trade. Especially when you take their cap space this season into consideration. 

1 minute ago, Lfod said:

Anything to make the offensive side of the ball better I am in favor of. That stuff last year was hard to sit through. 

The line actually graded out well. Our one-dimensional offense did them a massive disservice. losing Taylor should be addition by subtraction for our offensive production.

So Jordan Mills with Marshall Newhouse as his backup? 

Is it April 1st?

Awful personnel moves, concerning the o-line.  Maybe this is Beane's weakness as a GM.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I feel like I'm back at BBMB with people bitching and moaning about depth signings.

Let's be honest here. Both players are terrible.  Having Jordan Mills is bad enough.  

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

The line actually graded out well. Our one-dimensional offense did them a massive disservice. losing Taylor should be addition by subtraction for our offensive production.

I wanted to move on from Tyrod. I'm not sold right now on who they replaced him with. Sure AJ can come out of the woodwork and light it up. I'll drink to that. I'll be roaring. I'm just not very confident right now about it honestly. I want to drink the cool aid. 

New OC and new QB, going on that alone it feels very unknown and unproven. Thank god for Shady Mcoy! So honestly it has the look of spinning wheels to me. That is what has me yearning for a trade up. Put something on the back burner to sizzle while the GM fixes the situation he inherited. 

If the GM of the Bills serves me up a #1 or #2 in this draft at any cost I will be with holding my criticisms next season almost completely. It sounds stupid and that's because it is. You won't land every blow in a fight but I want this GM to swing anyway. Stop with the cast off from another team. I want home brew in Buffalo. I want a QB to start his career here and be successful.

I will end it on a positive note. I do trust the process. I drank the cool aid as far as the HC and GM. I don't expect them to build Rome in a day. They totally have over achieved already. It just might not show immediately. I can see it making sense the season after next.

They had a fire sale last year and still made the playoffs. Then sold Tyrod for a #3. These guy's are completely Genius.

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

These are great signings and what good teams do in free agency.  Shore up weak spots with (relatively) inexpensive players to gain flexibity in the draft.  Bodine had some bad grades, but we are THIN at center.   These moves should help, not set the world on fire.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Marshall Newhouse played one year with Cinci in 2014 when McCarron played 0 games.

Don't believe that was his point at all. You really had to stretch for that one.

35 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I wanted to move on from Tyrod. I'm not sold right now on who they replaced him with. Sure AJ can come out of the woodwork and light it up. I'll drink to that. I'll be roaring. I'm just not very confident right now about it honestly. I want to drink the cool aid. 

New OC and new QB, going on that alone it feels very unknown and unproven. Thank god for Shady Mcoy! So honestly it has the look of spinning wheels to me. That is what has me yearning for a trade up. Put something on the back burner to sizzle while the GM fixes the situation he inherited. 

If the GM of the Bills serves me up a #1 or #2 in this draft at any cost I will be with holding my criticisms next season almost completely. It sounds stupid and that's because it is. You won't land every blow in a fight but I want this GM to swing anyway. Stop with the cast off from another team. I want home brew in Buffalo. I want a QB to start his career here and be successful.

I will end it on a positive note. I do trust the process. I drank the cool aid as far as the HC and GM. I don't expect them to build Rome in a day. They totally have over achieved already. It just might not show immediately. I can see it making sense the season after next.

They had a fire sale last year and still made the playoffs. Then sold Tyrod for a #3. These guy's are completely Genius.

Your last paragraph is only accurate if they do what you want them to do, or what you said you would reserve judgment on, get up to 1 or 2. I think only 2 is Even remotely possible. Even if the guy is a bust, they had a plan and executed it. Otherwise the firesale was for nothing. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

Bodine has the second most starts of any Center in the league, He was Cincy's Center which means he has made line calls while McCarron was starting games towards playoffs and 1 playoff game. I don't think it is coincidental that he is in Buffalo now. I am sure this will help McCarron settle down starting for the Buffalo Bills. Groy has 1 year left on contract, he would be better off at guard and so would the team. I see a MLB and a speed receiver being selected by the Bills in the 1st round.  

6 hours ago, Magox said:

Not sure what a lot of you were expecting, there are lots of holes to fill and salary cap purgatory that was caused by Whaley that Beane has been cleaning up.

Disagree.  That is an aggressive lopsided opinion.

5 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i think it's huge! i'm psyched! i can't see how newhouse doesn't automatically start at rt. i think connor mcd may have some upside and is fine for depth so cutting mills should be a wash money wise.

seems like we got a helluva center as well. that could give them the option of cutting ducasse and moving groy to guard with miller as depth. i love these guys!

McD doesn’t seem to like Miller for whatever reason.

If McD thought Groy was better than Ducasse he probably would have started over him last year.

Bodine is not depth, I actually thought he was a RFA , what an underrated signing, 25 years old, has the 2nd lonest active streak to only Travis fredrick, the dude hasn't missed a game and only surrendered 1 sack, 1 QB hit and 3 penalties all last season. Great signing for us and gives groy serious competition, I fully expect Bodine to be the starter for us.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Bodine has the second most starts of any Center in the league, He was Cincy's Center which means he has made line calls while McCarron was starting games towards playoffs and 1 playoff game. I don't think it is coincidental that he is in Buffalo now. I am sure this will help McCarron settle down starting for the Buffalo Bills. Groy has 1 year left on contract, he would be better off at guard and so would the team. I see a MLB and a speed receiver being selected by the Bills in the 1st round.  

2nd most consecutive starts. I think Groy is a better center than this guy, so I have no idea why you'd waste him at guard. Groy looked as good as Wood when he had a shot.

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

So Jordan Mills with Marshall Newhouse as his backup? 

Is it April 1st?

Awful personnel moves, concerning the o-line.  Maybe this is Beane's weakness as a GM.

Let's be honest here. Both players are terrible.  Having Jordan Mills is bad enough.  

Didnt realize NFL teams had all-pro reserve o-linemen waiting in the wings.  I must be missing something.  

8 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Possible now though I am not thrilled of giving up 4-5 picks this year. Bills should find a way of keeping 22nd, 56 and 65.

They can but it would cost giving up 3 1sts and prob a next years 3rd or 4th to get to #2.

If the right QB is there tho its market price.

11 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I am starting to become concerned about whether our pro personnel dept can evaluate the offensive side of the ball.  I’m struggling to think of a single quality signing/acquisition this year or last on offense.

How loosely do we want to use the word quality? For a midseason cast off, Deonte Thompson wasn't bad but...I'm inclined to agree with you

8 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

We need competition on the OL.  

Maybe these guys will contribute.   Maybe they won't.  But you can't blame Beane for signing offensive linemen with starting experience.  

True enough

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I am starting to become concerned about whether our pro personnel dept can evaluate the offensive side of the ball.  I’m struggling to think of a single quality signing/acquisition this year or last on offense.

Tough to do when you don't want to spend money. 

9 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Regardless, Ducasse and Mills need to be out of here.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Carolina team they helped build is basically a very good D and Cam Newton carrying a subpar offense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The Carolina team they helped build is basically a very good D and Cam Newton carrying a subpar offense. 

100%. 

And Cam was getting utterly destroyed in the pocket. Again my biggest concern with McBeane is how they are going to build the offensive line and what they do at quarterback. I like what they have done on defense, but our offense doesn't look so good on paper. I hope Daboll makes a huge difference. 

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The process clearly prioritized the defensive rebuild over the offense, especially without the QB in place.

7 minutes ago, GG said:

The process clearly prioritized the defensive rebuild over the offense, especially without the QB in place.

Perhaps - but even the depth players they’ve signed/aquired on offense have been bad - Tolbert, Taiwan, Holmes, Jordan Matthews, Ducasse, etc.

Regardless, at this point the plan should be to find a franchisee QB and MLB in this year’s draft and then head into 2019 with a boatload of cap space.  By 2020 they’ll be on the upswing and Tommy will be retiring.