To Me This Feels Like the Hangover After the Party

Shut up or keep looking?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Should I forget about the negative possibilities for now?

• Yes shut up for now and let's enjoy the upswing the team had
    • No it is ok to explore the possible problems

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/22/2018 at 05:00 AM

It was so great to end that playoff drought. Just seeing that word, drought, and knowing I won't have to look at it any more, is still a nice feeling.

But now is the morning and and the house is a mess and there is a stranger asleep in my bathtub and I feel like death and the girl I met and got lucky with left a message that sounds like I had asked her to move in.

Look at the freaking picks we have, all these quarterbacks and we legit might not even get one. Did we really have to, have to, "end the drought"? It sure was fun but damn now we gotta pay.

On the offensive side of the ball, homer enthusiasm aside, we had incognito and Wood and Shady. Now we have incognito and Shady and they are both pretty old. Besides that we need pretty much everything. And we get a new OC and a new offense and new whoever else they decide to hire when he picks his staff.

On defense we are in a little better shape but we still have needs and also we got coaches fired or retiring for obscure reasons. The D-Line coach didn't come here just to retire. 

Anyway, should I shut up? :D And just let's enjoy the afterglow? Or should I keep looking and see who is in the bathtub? I am kind of worried he might be dead in there now I think about it. I don't hear any snoring.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

It was so great to end that playoff drought. Just seeing that word, drought, and knowing I won't have to look at it any more, is still a nice feeling.

But now is the morning and and the house is a mess and there is a stranger asleep in my bathtub and I feel like death and the girl I met and got lucky with left a message that sounds like I had asked her to move in.

Look at the freaking picks we have, all these quarterbacks and we legit might not even get one. Did we really have to, have to, "end the drought"? It sure was fun but damn now we gotta pay.

One the offensive side of the ball, homer enthusiasm aside, we had incognito and Wood and Shady. Now we have incognito and Shady and they are both pretty old. Besides that we need pretty much everything. And we get a new OC and a new offense and new whoever else they decide to hire when he picks his staff.

On defense we are in a little better shape but we still have needs and also we got coaches fired or retiring for obscure reasons. The D-Line coach didn't come here just to retire. 

Anyway, should I shut up? :D And just let's enjoy the afterglow? Or should I keep looking and see who is in the bathtub? I am kind of worried he might be dead in there now I think about it. I don't hear any snoring.

I think you better go check on that guy in your bathtub.

Great piece, Badlands.  I don't think it's a choice though.  Looking at what's next is inevitable, and hashing things out the motivation for why the board exists.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

On the offensive side of the ball, homer enthusiasm aside, we had incognito and Wood and Shady. Now we have incognito and Shady and they are both pretty old. Besides that we need pretty much everything. And we get a new OC and a new offense and new whoever else they decide to hire when he picks his staff.

The worst is when you wake up after drinking yourself into a blackout. I usually just stare at the ceiling while talk bad about myself. After convincing myself that I'm a terrible human being I begin looking for my clothes hoping they are nearby. 

16 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

You need to get some sunshine and vitamin D bro.  :D

I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a good quarterback.     There are so many good quarterbacks coming out this year, I think the Bills are almost certain to get one.    

All that really matters, regardless of which players they draft where and what positions they play, is how good of a job the BIlls scouting staff + Beane + McDermott do at evaluating whatever players are available to them in the draft and in free agency.     If they get that right, it won't matter if they draft first or last in each round.     In the first few rounds at least, there will be plenty of great players available that are so good they will elevate their team substantially.    The Bills have to identify them better than anyone else.    Over the long run that will have the biggest impact on whether this team becomes dominant or not.

If any NFL team (including the Bills) somehow managed to pick the perfect player at each position during the draft and got the situationally best available players for their team in free agency, that team could become a Superbowl contender in one year. 

I don't expect the Bills to be perfect.   I do want them to be better than anyone else at doing that though.   Because that is what will ultimately matter.

• Like (+1) 1

I loved the feeling of getting caught up in the hype of the playoff run.

It was fun season to watch and ending a drought like that is a significant accomplishment.

But let's be real ... this team was pretty crappy.  McCoy, Haushka and the DBs were the only consistent pieces.  The rest of the team pretty much sucks.  That's not negative; it's my opinion based on my own observations.

I am all-in  on "the process," and I really like McDermott and Beane.  I believe they are the right people for their respective jobs.  But I also believe that this is not a one-year project and my expectations for next season will be realistic.

But I do think it will be fun to be a Bills fan for many years to come; even though the next year or two might not be playoff years.  I'm all about forward progress and I trust we have the right people in McD and Beane to accomplish that.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3

I think if you looked at most teams in terms of coach turnover you would find its far more common then normal.

In regards to QB and player holes that is the task of the GM to fill and build the new base. QB is hard whether they draft 1st or 21st just because it is such a roll of the dice either way I just want them to draft someone.

I feel pretty optimistic going into the free agency and draft period for the first time in a long time.   I have faith in this management and coaching group to identify and address specific roster needs while managing the cap better than previous regimes.  This time it just looks and feels different. 

Making the playoffs was the result of a series of fortunate events topped off by the Bengals stunning 4th down play.  I'm glad the drought is over and its one piece of baggage we no longer have to carry around.  

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

What a fun analogy you made  maaan! and you hit the bulls-eye in the very center!!:D:beer:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Yes

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you better go check on that guy in your bathtub.

Great piece, Badlands.  I don't think it's a choice though.  Looking at what's next is inevitable, and hashing things out the motivation for why the board exists.

my thing is most of the people who probably voted "no" here are also ones that were probably saying all season how they wouldn't let their guard down and enjoy it until they finally saw the playoffs........ so when exactly did they get to enjoy anything about this year? I honestly don't know why some people are fans becuz from what I see they don't seem to let themselves have any real fun with it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the season as a whole. I let myself buy into the team early. I got disappointed midseason. and then I let myself buy into the fact that we still had a shot at the playoffs week In and week out to close the season. and then I enjoyed a trip to J-ville to watch it play out. i'm also still happy we made it. most exciting season in years. and all some people did was gripe and moan the whole time.

I agree its ok to acknowledge the bills have plenty of holes. but my question is..... if you don't allow yourself to enjoy the season becuz you don't wanna be "fooled again" and then you don't bask in it a bit afterwards, whats the point???? the bills made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years and there are plenty of fans, becuz of how they handled the season, that literally only enjoyed about a week of it. that's absurd and must plain miserable if ya ask me.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

I thought the party was canceled the day after the first preseason game, so I'm glad we ended up tearing the roof of the joint.  It was fun.  And it was unexpected.  Think of it this way, if McDermott and Beane can throw a few more shindigs on a budget like this with MD 20/20, PBR, a couple of bags of chips and the neighbor spinning tunes, how wild will things get when they've actually got some resources.

2 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

That playoff game feels like forever ago now. We’re on to the off-season 

33 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Ask the guy in the tub if he can play quarterback.

Since I haven't been voted to shut up just yet, (it is 50-50 right now) I will take my chance here.

What eats at me the most is our O-line. I think Woods injury hurt us really bad.

Dawkins was maybe adequate at left tackle.  The we have Incognito who is good. Next a hole at Center where woods was. And then a very weak right side of the line.

I don't see how we can put a rookie behind that line. And I don't see how they can fix that line enough to make it secure, while spending picks to get a QB.

And I can't see Cousins coming here to play behind that line. That would be kind of crazy if you ask me.

Pretty much you need a guy like Tyrod who is very evasive, to stay alive behind that line. So I am thinking in my vision there, the guy passed out  or dead in my bathtub, symbolizes whatever poor sap we get to play QB next year, that isn't Tyrod.

11 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Since I haven't been voted to shut up just yet, (it is 50-50 right now) I will take my chance here.

What eats at me the most is our O-line. I think Woods injury hurt us really bad.

Dawkins was maybe adequate at left tackle.  The we have Incognito who is good. Next a hole at Center where woods was. And then a very weak right side of the line.

I don't see how we can put a rookie behind that line. And I don't see how they can fix that line enough to make it secure, while spending picks to get a QB.

And I can't see Cousins coming here to play behind that line. That would be kind of crazy if you ask me.

Pretty much you need a guy like Tyrod who is very evasive, to stay alive behind that line. So I am thinking in my vision there, the guy passed out  or dead in my bathtub, symbolizes whatever poor sap we get to play QB next year, that isn't Tyrod.

Plug in Gloy in that hole in the Center spot......hopefully Glenn come back healthy, draft another Dawkins or two and O-Line issue is pretty much solved kinda easily.

I feel for that bathtub guy tho........glad it isn't me but I wasn't at the party of yours.....interested if the girl was hawt or beer goggles hawt??

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

The worst is when you wake up after drinking yourself into a blackout. I usually just stare at the ceiling while talk bad about myself. After convincing myself that I'm a terrible human being I begin looking for my clothes hoping they are nearby. 

Then there’s the time , I couldn’t find my clothes so I grabbed this chicks black leotards ( about four sizes too small) and ran out to my car in only them and hightailed it outta there at 6am.

Some old lady was out watering her lawn a couple doors down and saw the whole thing.

That WAS a night.

????

9 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Plug in Gloy in that hole in the Center spot......hopefully Glenn come back healthy, draft another Dawkins or two and O-Line issue is pretty much solved kinda easily.

I feel for that bathtub guy tho........glad it isn't me but I wasn't at the party of yours.....interested if the girl was hawt or beer goggles hawt??

I hope the line works out like you say.

And I actually don't remember what her face looked like. :rolleyes: But she did have some charming attributes.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Meh - hair of the dog that bit ya is the best way to get over a hangover anyway!  Party!! 2018-2019 is our year!

Sooooo...

I think this is just dependent on whoever you are as a person.

I admit, I'm just an optimistic person... maybe bordering on being a Pollyanna at times 0:)  

Personally, I think our future is incredibly bright.  I think this is going to be maybe the most interesting draft for the Bills in all my years being a Bills fan.  I think Beane and McDermott are going to target who they want in the 1st at QB and they're going to just go and get him.

Coaching trumps talent

That, I feel, is the lesson from 2017.

It's one I think the Patriots have been teaching us for years, but everyone just points to who they have at QB and give the QB more credit than the coaching.

I've always disagreed with that.

This year, McDermott proved to me that a simple and serious culture change can do so much for a team in terms of winning.  The Vikings and Rams (and over the last few games the Eagles) have proven to me that if you get the right offensive or defensive system and coaches in place and get your players disciplined enough to play within that system, you can be wildly successful.

We're bound to get our players in this draft and in FA to upgrade the team.  We have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and 8 picks in the first 5 rounds.

I'm stoked!  Whoever's under center or playing at whatever positions next year... I think McDermott has shifted this team into a higher gear and (I know it's waaaaayyyy early) I think we're going to be a better team than this past year and in the playoffs.

Super optimistic about this offseason  :thumbsup: 

I guess I just drank a helluva lot more than you and I'm still drunk right now  :flirt: 

Edited by transplantbillsfan

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I loved the feeling of getting caught up in the hype of the playoff run.

It was fun season to watch and ending a drought like that is a significant accomplishment.

But let's be real ... this team was pretty crappy.  McCoy, Haushka and the DBs were the only consistent pieces.  The rest of the team pretty much sucks.  That's not negative; it's my opinion based on my own observations.

I am all-in  on "the process," and I really like McDermott and Beane.  I believe they are the right people for their respective jobs.  But I also believe that this is not a one-year project and my expectations for next season will be realistic.

But I do think it will be fun to be a Bills fan for many years to come; even though the next year or two might not be playoff years.  I'm all about forward progress and I trust we have the right people in McD and Beane to accomplish that.

Go Bills!

Wow... we're in very different places...

2018 Super Bowl Champions baby!!!  :flirt: 

3 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

People are gonna be who they are

Need look no further then the poll to see that...lots of negative nancies around here.

Exactly!

This is just differences in how people approach sports... I'm still on a high from our first playoff season in 17 years and the fact that we finally have a coach who wasn't just saying he was going to change the culture... he actually did change it.

Good things to come, folks  :thumbsup: 

I think we have a good coach and a really impressive personnel staff - one has already been poached for a GM job and another is interviewing at the moment. That suggests Beane's respect around the league, knowledge of the league and the Pegulas' pockets will make our front office a strength for the first time in a long time. 

And the two are in lock step. That makes a nice change for Buffalo. They need to find a couple more Micah Hydes and Jordan Poyers to fill out the front 7 and the offensive skill positions and then draft well at the same time. If they can do that with the schedule set up the way it is next year... the AFCS and the NFCN I can see the Bills right around 8 or 9 wins again. 

But give it another year after that and I feel like we will have a roster that could not just make the playoffs but make a run. Obviously that depends on finding their QB. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They need to find a couple more Micah Hydes and Jordan Poyers to fill out the front 7 and the offensive skill positions and then draft well at the same time. If they can do that with the schedule set up the way it is next year... the AFCS and the NFCN I can see the Bills right around 8 or 9 wins again. 

Bennie Logan & Connor Barwin are Philly/KC oriented names to keep an eye on imo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

You don't need to pick in the top 5 to find a good QB. Hell, you don't even have to pick in the first round. You want to be a consistently good team, you better learn how to scout outside the top 10.

Fun story...but I’m not getting the analogy. The Bills didn’t sell their soul or compromise their principles or judgement to make the playoffs this season. In fact they did pretty much the exact opposite. There’s a case to be made that they could return to the post season by doing a whole lot LESS this off season than many on here are suggesting. (They won’t win the super bowl but people please, the playoffs aren’t THAT hard to make!)

Besides, what’s the alternative to going forward? Dropping the microphone and walking off stage?  In the words of Aaron Rogers....relax.

Why can't you be positive and upbeat and still take frank look at what we need moving forward? I don't see these two things in opposition. We're building on a positive season for the first time in a long time. Doesn't mean we're out of the woods but let's feel good about what we've done and take a critical view what we need to do to keep improving.

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think we have a good coach and a really impressive personnel staff - one has already been poached for a GM job and another is interviewing at the moment. That suggests Beane's respect around the league, knowledge of the league and the Pegulas' pockets will make our front office a strength for the first time in a long time. 

And the two are in lock step. That makes a nice change for Buffalo. They need to find a couple more Micah Hydes and Jordan Poyers to fill out the front 7 and the offensive skill positions and then draft well at the same time. If they can do that with the schedule set up the way it is next year... the AFCS and the NFCN I can see the Bills right around 8 or 9 wins again. 

But give it another year after that and I feel like we will have a roster that could not just make the playoffs but make a run. Obviously that depends on finding their QB. 

In addition, I think McDermott and Beane have shown an ability to make an honest assessment of their players and staff and a willingness to make decisions and needed changes, regardless of any criticism they might open themselves up to.

7 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I think the original plan was to play Glenn at LT and Dawkins at RT.  It might have been better than what we had.

If they keep Glenn, let Miller and Ducasse battle it out under a new blocking scheme that looks more like what Kromer had, and draft a center to battle it out with Groy that might be acceptable.

I will say this.  While Tyrod makes the line look better at times (by escaping), he also makes the line look worse at times (by holding the ball too long). 

On 2/2/2018 at 12:22 PM, BadLandsMeanie said:

sheesh, maybe you need the narcan as much as the dude in the tub.  dawkins, richie, groy, miller, henderson will be sufficient and i'm sure we will draft and get some vet help. relax. people seem to forget that tyrod forced those guys to pass pro for 6-10 seconds without knowing where the hell he was.

next year will be better. just keep watching...and keep the narcan on hand.

barring an absolute brain fart by the fo, i think we will see real nfl caliber qb play next year, ie.(.just my thought on what could realistically happen), bradford, peterman, rudolph...or...foles, peterman, mayfield/rudolph. i even think we could be 10-6 with nate. 

remember , whaley is not here and change will occur. trust the process.

Edited by billsredneck1

14 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

sheesh, maybe you need the narcan as much as the dude in the tub.  dawkins, richie, groy, miller, henderson will be sufficient and i'm sure we will draft and get some vet help. relax. people seem to forget that tyrod forced those guys to pass pro for 6-10 seconds without knowing where the hell he was.

next year will be better. just keep watching...and keep the narcan on hand.

barring an absolute brain fart by the fo, i think we will see real nfl caliber qb play next year...somehow. remember , whaley is not here and change will occur. trust the process.

Unless I'm missing something, Henderson is a FA this season.  Do you feel it's a wise move to offer him a new contract? 

He is what, one toke away from a year off?  He has a chronic and incurable disease that can be debilitating.

He played in 7 games plus the playoff game - do you really feel he was a difference maker?

I was actually thinking they would let him walk.

I do have some faith that Daboll didn't accept the OC position to have a 4peat of dealing with crap QBs - that the Bills must have persuaded him they have a plan, or a series of plans, at QB

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unless I'm missing something, Henderson is a FA this season.  Do you feel it's a wise move to offer him a new contract? 

He is what, one toke away from a year off?  He has a chronic and incurable disease that can be debilitating.

He played in 7 games plus the playoff game - do you really feel he was a difference maker?

I was actually thinking they would let him walk.

i would rather resurrect him and let mills go....or maybe conner mcd may have something. rt is where i would target fa for sure. no matter what , i would not have mills starting ever again. if i had only one choice of spot to improve on the oline, that would be it.

Edited by billsredneck1

Well, the majority vote in the poll people are telling me to shush up and I will after this thread dies :> At least until after the draft.

But right now...

and brace yourselves in a moment I will mention he who's name must not be spoken.

McD did a lot with a little I think. He got a decent performance out of a roster that was churned a lot. And he and Beane did a lot of things just as I would have. From the draft to just getting rid of the guys who didn't get it. The guys who thought they were doing us a favor just by being here. Get them the eff out of here. They did that. So there was a lot to like there.

He brought in Poyer and Gaines. But Gaines is probably gone unless they want pay him. But still they did well bringing in defensive talent.

Offensive talent? Not so much and look at the contrast between Tre White, a fantastic pick, and Zay Jones, so far not so good. More on that gap between defensive expertise and offensive expertise later.

Now, Rex Ryan went 8-8 and then 7-8. He would have been 8-8 also the second year  if they hadn't benched Tyrod that last game and put EJ in to do what he does so well and lose the game. So it would have been two 8-8 seasons. McDermot won One More Game. He went 9-7. 

And now we have sunshine, unicorns and rainbows. They won one more game than the hated Rex Ryan with his dysfunctional "clown show".

Also we still got our traditional twice yearly keestering by the Pats. Just like always. Except this time they tried to kill one of players.

We did make the playoffs on a heroic play, by Andy Dalton of the Cincinnati Bengals. 

Then we lost the playoff game because we scored 3 points.

I enjoyed the end of the year as much as anyone, but gee, where is the ongoing euphoria coming from?

Some guys here have made a decent case that we might be able to cobble together a starting o-line that might possible be serviceable. I hope so but then where is our depth? We have to use our backups and hope they can be starters. These guys always get hurt, who will be the backups?

And sure we can hope that whatever QB they get that some other team is getting rid of, will be better than our Qb who we want to get rid of. I hope so but it coud be just another guy we get to be our Qb, who somebody else got rid of. Just like always.

Next I come to, this regime has shown pretty close to ZERO ability to run an offense or find offensive talent.

I suppose it could have been worse, maybe. But if you take away Shady we didn't have an offense, we had Tolbert. And Shady was already here. We can give them credit for not trading Shady away I suppose.

But seriously, based on this year it looks like Sean McDermott has no idea about running an offense or sizing up offensive players or coaches for that matter.

He looks like what he was when we hired him which was a great defensive coordinator.

Sure he fired the OC, but he also hired him. And any way you slice it, how the offense turned out is the head coaches responsibility. That is what makes him the head coach. And he TANKED on that part of it.  

So this is the brain trust that will pick our QB? Who will draft and bring in free agents to shore up our offense? McD and Beane. That have done terrible at that end of things so far. So there is reason to be queasy and uneasy when one sets aside the euphoria and enters hang-overland.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

22 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Well, the majority vote in the poll people are telling me to shush up and I will after this thread dies :> At least until after the draft.

But right now...

and brace yourselves in a moment I will mention he who's name must not be spoken.

McD did a lot with a little I think. He got a decent performance out of a roster that was churned a lot. And he and Beane did a lot of things just as I would have. From the draft to just getting rid of the guys who didn't get it. The guys who thought they were doing us a favor just by being here. Get them the eff out of here. They did that. So there was a lot to like there.

He brought in Poyer and Gaines. But Gaines is probably gone unless they want pay him. But still they did well bringing in defensive talent.

Offensive talent? Not so much and look at the contrast between Tre White, a fantastic pick, and Zay Jones, so far not so good. More on that gap between defensive expertise and offensive expertise later.

Now, Rex Ryan went 8-8 and then 7-8. He would have been 8-8 also the second year  if they hadn't benched Tyrod that last game and put EJ in to do what he does so well and lose the game. So it would have been two 8-8 seasons. McDermot won One More Game. He went 9-7. 

And now we have sunshine, unicorns and rainbows. They won one more game than the hated Rex Ryan with his dysfunctional "clown show".

Also we still got our traditional twice yearly keestering by the Pats. Just like always. Except this time they tried to kill one of players.

We did make the playoffs on a heroic play, by Andy Dalton of the Cincinnati Bengals. 

Then we lost the playoff game because we scored 3 points.

I enjoyed the end of the year as much as anyone, but gee, where is the ongoing euphoria coming from?

Some guys here have made a decent case that we might be able to cobble together a starting o-line that might possible be serviceable. I hope so but then where is our depth? We have to use our backups and hope they can be starters. These guys always get hurt, who will be the backups?

And sure we can hope that whatever QB they get that some other team is getting rid of, will be better than our Qb who we want to get rid of. I hope so but it coud be just another guy we get to be our Qb, who somebody else got rid of. Just like always.

Next I come to, this regime has shown pretty close to ZERO ability to run an offense or find offensive talent.

I suppose it could have been worse, maybe. But if you take away Shady we didn't have an offense, we had Tolbert. And Shady was already here. We can give them credit for not trading Shady away I suppose.

But seriously, based on this year it looks like Sean McDermott has no idea about running an offense or sizing up offensive players or coaches for that matter.

He looks like what he was when we hired him which was a great defensive coordinator.

Sure he fired the OC, but he also hired him. And any way you slice it, how the offense turned out is the head coaches responsibility. That is what makes him the head coach. And he TANKED on that part of it.  

So this is the brain trust that will pick our QB? Who will draft and bring in free agents to shore up our offense? McD and Beane. That have done terrible at that end of things so far. So there is reason to be queasy and uneasy when one sets aside the euphoria and enters hang-overland.

take a deep breath...step away from the edge....it's gonna be ok