I guess ESPN is not a fan of the " process "

Iron Maiden

41 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Buffalo.  We're such illogical fans sometimes.  2018 is rebuild.  All of those draft picks, maybe a rookie qb, a new OC - it's not about 2018 but about hopes for 2020-2026 as I see it.  

I have no idea how many wins to expect as there's too much unknown - same as for everyone.  I just hope for maybe a second year in a row in which the draft is not the highpoint of the season for us fans and so excitement for 2019 this time 12 months from now. 

No, last year was supposed to be the rebuilding year.  They cleared up cap space and added draft picks for 2018.  Outside of arguably Gaines, who is a health risk, there’s no must re-sign player on a team that made the playoffs last year. 

Now that doesn’t mean they will rest on their laurels and I expect them to be active in free agency and the draft targeting players they feel they need.   Not making the playoffs again will be a major disappointment for the team. 

2 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

I would say it's the opposite, actually.  The Bills QB situation is very unsettled, they have holes to fill at WR, at DT

and still projected for 7 wins? 

By the end of the draft that number will move one way or the other, depending on the QB resolution.

This upcoming season it will be difficult because we have set the bar higher and over-performed with our talent level. We may have a season similar to the Buccaneers did this year. We have so many changes and many will be upgrades , but it takes a while to build chemistry and we may have a rough season. On the other hand we could become a 10-11 win team this year with upgraded talent, it all depends on how the players gel and develop. Either way for the first time in a while I'm excited for the future.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's Barnwell's projection, not ESPN as an entity. 

I wouldn't be shocked if the Bills took a step back. Especially if they roll with a rookie QB. The are too many holes right now to fix in one offseason. But then again if we hit on some unknowns like Poyer, who knows?

4 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

As for Barnwell, a roving band of Bills supporters must have burned his house down as a kid. Doesn't seem to ever have anything positive to say.

He is a huge tyrod fan though.

Like HUGE.

He constantly b*tches about how underrated he is.

Seems about right to me; it's always right around that number; we could easily end up with a worse record next year.  

Depends on how things play out, quality of our opponents next year, and what we do at the QB position of course.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t find the number insulting. The Bills had a minus 57 point differential this year. 9 wins is a credit to them. They managed to win games when they had the chance. 

They also will look look a lot different this year. I suspect that number can move quite a bit in either direction depending on what happens this offseason.

Exactly this^

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t find the number insulting. The Bills had a minus 57 point differential this year. 9 wins is a credit to them. They managed to win games when they had the chance. 

They also will look look a lot different this year. I suspect that number can move quite a bit in either direction depending on what happens this offseason.

Yeah, I don't know why people think this is insulting.  We were extremely lucky and not a good team.  The schedule should be "tougher" and turnovers are not constant year to year. They created a lot of holes they have to fill and for his faults, Tyrod won't kill you in a game with turnovers.   

Very happy we never have to hear about the drought again but it was more luck than skill.  Hopefully, we start a young qb who has franchise level ability this year.  SO while we could have a worse record, we could actually be a better overall team.  This was a Jauron type season with much better luck and we end the drought but there's a lot of work to do.  Start by getting a real qb.

• Like (+1) 1

To be honest. I don't see how anyone could do a legit over/under at this point.  We haven't reached the offseason yet.  There has been no opportunity for teams to do anything in free agency.  Teams are still working on developing their draft board.  If Barnwell, or somebody else wants to do an over under projection in May, I might be inclined to pay a little more attention.

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree all though 67 points were from the Saints and Charger games.

We'll see who the quarterback is

7 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

So, last week the give us Coach of the year, rookie of the year and DPOY for the division...now they hate us...lmao.

7 wins for an early over/under projection in January for most teams is about right. 

I don't think this was a one or two year process.  We got really lucky this year, which I'm okay with.  But to think they're going to build a team that will be very good right away, to me, isn't realistic - which I'm also fine with.  I think the process will build a team that's good for many years.  It will likely have to get worse before it gets better.

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think a couple bad blowout losses contributed to that figure more than anything.

9 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I think a couple bad blowout losses contributed to that figure more than anything.

Absolutely and that was kind of the point. They won close games and got hammered a few times. It’s not easy to be 9-7 when getting outscored by over 3 1/2 points a game. 

I mean the rationale behind their prediction makes sense, so I can't be mad.

It's very likely that if we draft a QB to start, or turn it over to an inexperienced Peterman, that we very well could take a step back just due to growing pains in learning the position. 

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Buffalo winning 9 games with this stripped down team was a remarkable achievement. It was a tribute to the coaches and players buying in. I still believe that the Bills are in the midst of a rebuilding job and that at least another couple/three years will be needed before becoming a serious team. Of course all that is predicated on getting a franchise qb. 

• Like (+1) 1

We have a boatload of draft picks and a sophomore HC who seems to have the team moving in the right direction.  These two facts alone argue for more wins, not fewer.

The big wildcard is the QB question.  Who'll be under center?  Tyrod?  A rookie?  An uninspiring journeyman?  

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

But, as I recall, we were +12 in "toxic differential" which might be a better predictor of W-L record.

8 hours ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

This upcoming season it will be difficult because we have set the bar higher and over-performed with our talent level. We may have a season similar to the Buccaneers did this year. We have so many changes and many will be upgrades , but it takes a while to build chemistry and we may have a rough season. On the other hand we could become a 10-11 win team this year with upgraded talent, it all depends on how the players gel and develop. Either way for the first time in a while I'm excited for the future.

Yeah, I agree the 2017 squad "over-performed."   So the question to ask is:  Can McD keep getting squads to play above their talent level?   Or was this a one-year trick? 

Being a jaded Bills fan, I'm not super confident in the future.  But I do think that maybe we've got something good going here.  

Edited by hondo in seattle