Stephon Gilmore is Trending

Basically your take is that you were right all along about Gilmore, and it's just a coincidence that only now he looks as bad as people said he was? No one but you is going to buy that, no offense. He had a strong front 4 backing him up when he was here so he didn't have to do as much. Now he's in a zone scheme with a crappy front 4 and he's embarrassing himself on the field. It looks like all the criticisms people laid on Gilmore are true. He was not a "very good" corner. I'll say he did have one very good year when Jim Schwartz was here. But people put too much stock in one-year wonders like Gilmore and Watkins. Great players have consistency.

No, that's how someone with an agenda would read what I wrote.

What I said is that he played very well while he was here, but he is not playing well in NE. I'm sure scheme has something to do with it, but folks throw out the idea that he's not a zone corner as though it's true. It's not.

Jim Schwartz's scheme was a zone scheme, though he did mix in some Cover 1 and 0 on the relatively rare occasions that they sent pressure.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Eagle-Eye-Jim-Schwartzs-Attack-Defense/72122296-c9e4-47e6-8eb5-cf5b0f65c1eb

In fact, in Gilmore's 2 best games as a pro (IMO)--Denver and Green Bay in 2014, the teams played almost exclusively in Cover-3 looks.

Remember, if we want to talk opinions, I'm happy to give you mine, but if we're debating facts, we don't get to decide which ones to ignore. For example: Gilmore finished 3rd in the NFL in pass breakups in 2015, and 10th in passer rating allowed. He cannot by definition be a one-year wonder in 2014 if his performance was even better in 2015. Statements like that are why it's so very difficult to take some people's opinions seriously--it's not grounded in reality. Now, people can get upset that he had horrific games against the Jets and Patriots in 2016, and that's justified. What we can't do--provided we want to be taken seriously--is ignore the fact that the guy allowed 2 TDs all season, and surrendered a passer rating below 70 (which was better than Patrick Peterson and nearly identical to Richard Sherman). Let's remember that the guy made the pro bowl in 2016.

Yes, he played very well when he was here. No, he is not playing anywhere near good football right now, and I am quite pleased with that.

Where you are getting confused is that we've seen his limitations at times in Buffalo, and now they are presenting themselves on a much larger scale. Does that mean he didn't play well here? No. What it means is that he has specific limitations, and that other teams are now finding ways to take advantage of them. Is that because his new coach is still finding ways to minimize what he doesn't do well and maximize what he does? Maybe. Is it because he's playing in a different scheme? Sure, that's probably part of it. Is it because he got his payday and is slacking now? Who knows? (I sure hope so...that'd be pleasantly ironic for NE to get a guy that loafs after a big contract).

What I'm not going to do is ignore what happened on the field for 5 years. Many players perform better or worse with a change in venue...Gilmore is not some new case study in what happens when guys move via FA--remember Nnamdi Asomugha? Best corner in football when he was with Oakland. Moved to Philly and promptly washed out of the league. Darrelle Revis had an island in NJ, but he went to Tampa and couldn't cover worth a dime.

I think I've said my piece on this well enough; parse away if you so choose.

Edited by thebandit27

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gilmore sucked when he was with the Bills. He'd almost make a big play, toss his hair around then miss the next three. He just doesn't have the mental toughness to go get 'em every play. Glad he's gone from OBD. Unfortunately, he left his lack of mojo to Darius.

What I said is that he played very well while he was here, but he is not playing well in NE. I'm sure scheme has something to do with it, but folks throw out the idea that he's not a zone corner as though it's true. It's not.

Jim Schwartz's scheme was a zone scheme, though he did mix in some Cover 1 and 0 on the relatively rare occasions that they sent pressure.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Eagle-Eye-Jim-Schwartzs-Attack-Defense/72122296-c9e4-47e6-8eb5-cf5b0f65c1eb

In fact, in Gilmore's 2 best games as a pro (IMO)--Denver and Green Bay in 2014, the teams played almost exclusively in Cover-3 looks.

Remember, if we want to talk opinions, I'm happy to give you mine, but if we're debating facts, we don't get to decide which ones to ignore. For example: Gilmore finished 3rd in the NFL in pass breakups in 2015, and 10th in passer rating allowed. He cannot by definition be a one-year wonder in 2014 if his performance was even better in 2015. Statements like that are why it's so very difficult to take some people's opinions seriously--it's not grounded in reality. Now, people can get upset that he had horrific games against the Jets and Patriots in 2016, and that's justified. What we can't do--provided we want to be taken seriously--is ignore the fact that the guy allowed 2 TDs all season, and surrendered a passer rating below 70 (which was better than Patrick Peterson and nearly identical to Richard Sherman). Let's remember that the guy made the pro bowl in 2016.

Yes, he played very well when he was here. No, he is not playing anywhere near good football right now, and I am quite pleased with that.

Where you are getting confused is that we've seen his limitations at times in Buffalo, and now they are presenting themselves on a much larger scale. Does that mean he didn't play well here? No. What it means is that he has specific limitations, and that other teams are now finding ways to take advantage of them. Is that because his new coach is still finding ways to minimize what he doesn't do well and maximize what he does? Maybe. Is it because he's playing in a different scheme? Sure, that's probably part of it. Is it because he got his payday and is slacking now? Who knows? (I sure hope so...that'd be pleasantly ironic for NE to get a guy that loafs after a big contract).

What I'm not going to do is ignore what happened on the field for 5 years. Many players perform better or worse with a change in venue...Gilmore is not some new case study in what happens when guys move via FA--remember Nnamdi Asomugha? Best corner in football when he was with Oakland. Moved to Philly and promptly washed out of the league. Darrelle Revis had an island in NJ, but he went to Tampa and couldn't cover worth a dime.

Right on the money. But don't expect it to make an impact on those who already have their minds made up. Take for example, the post below:

Gilmore sucked when he was with the Bills. He'd almost make a big play, toss his hair around then miss the next three. He just doesn't have the mental toughness to go get 'em every play. Glad he's gone from OBD. Unfortunately, he left his lack of mojo to Darius.

Good post, Thanks!

Why do people attack athletes on their social media accounts?

Not enough to do. Job, family, hobbies.

:lol:

That's actually pretty funny.

Why do people attack athletes on their social media accounts?

No lives? Jealous of those with more fame and money?

But I'm guessing they are just plain morons.

c54650b7278f88a3eeaa7aa7d5fce4f7.jpg

Zolak "Gilmore doesn't understand the zone switch concepts, maybe he was coming here expecting to just play man"

I remember criticizing his awareness on this exact same situation when he was partially responsible for the miscommunication against T. Hill in the Chiefs game.

I also recall some posters who were dead set on it being Cover 2, and therefore he had no responsibility of handing off T. Hill to an uncovered zone. That of course didn't make any sense. Yes, it is very possible that the Safety should have been in that zone but he wasn't. And yes, it is clear that Gilmore saw that no one was in that zone and he still let up on the receiver. Lack of awareness. That was the criticism then, that was the criticism for me when he was in Buffalo and that is the criticism he is still facing today.

I remember criticizing his awareness on this exact same situation when he was partially responsible for the miscommunication against T. Hill in the Chiefs game.

I also recall some posters who were dead set on it being Cover 2, and therefore he had no responsibility of handing off T. Hill to an uncovered zone. That of course didn't make any sense. Yes, it is very possible that the Safety should have been in that zone but he wasn't. And yes, it is clear that Gilmore saw that no one was in that zone and he still let up on the receiver. Lack of awareness. That was the criticism then, that was the criticism for me when he was in Buffalo and that is the criticism he is still facing today.

I remember that conversation and I quoted some Patriots reporter who said the exact same thing. That same reporter talked about a play this week which put McCourty up against it because the LB/CB mistakes. Both times it was Jeff Howe if I'm remembering correctly.

I believe the play in discussion this week was the FW touchdown.

I'm not one to ignore stats so I'll give you credit for 2015. But I will point out he missed the final 4 games of that year. One stat I would be very interested in seeing is Gilmore's YAC allowed. I think that is an underrated stat for corners and I bet he would rank low in it (I know he is way underperforming Tre White in that stat so far this season), but it isn't tracked anywhere that doesn't cost money. If anyone happens to have a subscription to PFF I would be curious to know where he ranked because IMO poor tackling was his biggest weakness. Every corner will give up some passes these days so good tackling counts more than ever. That's why I had no interest bringing him back at his contract. I never thought he was terrible, just pretty good. The way some people talked he was a consistent top 10 CB and I never saw him that way.

The internet is cold blooded lol

DLFHkDfWkAAz6iq.jpg

This is beautiful. Absolutely hilarious.

One game Joey?

How's TT's ass taste?

Actually it tastes like 3-1 to me.

http://www.trifectanetworksports.com/stephon-gilmore-is-a-buffalo-bills-player-at-heart/#comments

Can we get them to take Dareus as well?

Edited by Billsmovinup

As always, Bill, I hope you are doing well, but I'll ask that you drop the straw man argument.

I believe Gilmore is a very good corner (or at least was a very good corner during his time here), but what I (and many others) said over and over and over and over and over and over (etc.) is that "shut down corners" don't exist in the NFL.

I appreciate that you don't like the guy because he was a 1st round pick at a position other than OL ;) , but you are too good to continue to build a case against a position that nobody ever took.

Yes, it said an awful lot about Gilmore's play that Belichick decided to spend big $$ on him in FA. We're all hoping that it turns out to be the biggest FA flop ever committed; what's bad for them is good for us.

I hope he continues to get spun like a top week in and week out...that won't change a thing about the quality of his play during his career in Buffalo, which was very good.

Is my view of him tainted because I knew for a fact that drafting him at #10 was a stupid mistake that would cost us? Good chance. :)

Where I disagree with you is your characterization of him as "very good." He certainly wasn't bad but imo, BB gave him FAR more than he was worth. And please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't NE have an unusually large amount of cap space?

From where I sit, Gilmore didn't go all out for us. I also can't remember him winning many games for us. Do you agree? You see, there might be some common ground here. ;)

That didn't say Gilmore was "the best corner ever."

That degree of hyperbole is sandbox level. Anyone who makes that kind of remark is the one who needs to step up their game.

Coming from the person who stated their "sources" confirmed LeSean was getting shipped out of town? I have a kettle I'd like to introduce you to...

Agree with this before this year. Love the White, Jones and Dawkins picks. Milano and Peterman? Hopefully they prove to be solid picks also.

I loved the Jones and Dawkins picks as well but they have really, thus far in their very very early parts of their careers, shown very little to be encouraged about. Jones is areal mystery, he had hands of glue now he drops more often than he catches.

Agree with this before this year. Love the White, Jones and Dawkins picks. Milano and Peterman? Hopefully they prove to be solid picks also.

I actually thought Peterman was the best of the later round QBs, and was happy when the Bills picked him*. But I'm not clamouring for him to start---yet. I just think he'll likely be a solid, dependable #2 QB for years. I could be way off, or he might surprise and be a #1. some day.

(* Not as happy as I would have been had they taken Watson in the first. He was the only QB I thought was a "near sure thing", this past draft.)

I actually thought Peterman was the best of the later round QBs, and was happy when the Bills picked him*. But I'm not clamouring for him to start---yet. I just think he'll likely be a solid, dependable #2 QB for years. I could be way off, or he might surprise and be a #1. some day.

(* Not as happy as I would have been had they taken Watson in the first. He was the only QB I thought was a "near sure thing", this past draft.)

But Dean, we'd be 10 - 0 right now if he were starting!! :beer:

I was pulling for us to draft him as well and happy we did. I don't want to play him yet but given a year for experience and get stronger with a NFL level training regimen, he could surprise and be #1 QB.

Sammy needs to be on the Bills Wall of Fame - TWICE! He cost us 2 first round picks! Why aren't you nominating him?

It was three first round picks. One pick to move up, then another pick to draft Sammy and then another pick the next year. Get your facts straight.

@josinaanderson

Yes, #Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore is not traveling with the team. I'm told he has been experiencing some headaches, per source.

My understanding is #Pats CB Stephon Gilmore has been experiencing some headaches ever since after the #Bucs game--after play w/ Mike Evans.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@josinaanderson

Yes, #Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore is not traveling with the team. I'm told he has been experiencing some headaches, per source.

My understanding is #Pats CB Stephon Gilmore has been experiencing some headaches ever since after the #Bucs game--after play w/ Mike Evans.

Personally I hope the man is ok, make the right decision Stephon, walk away from the game before you do permanent damage and take your $40 million in guaranteed Patriot $ with you.

@josinaanderson

This sounds weird. For the reason of being out, is it headaches?