538.com: Most Loved and Hated Teams in the NFL

26CornerBlitz

Like everything Buffalo, we need to be on the polar ends of the spectrum!

One of the least loved and most hated teams? I find that hard to believe. When I tell people I'm a Bills fan I usually get a "I respect them, I'd like to see them win someday" (uh, me too bro...).

As an aside, I was traveling for work the past few days and I saw like 6 people rocking Bills gear! Happy to see Bills nation representing out there. :beer:

538 usually explains their stats a lot better than simply saying they commissioned a company and this:

Specifically, the poll was conducted among a national sample of adults ages 18 and older, from Sept. 1-7. Only responses from self-described NFL fans (including those who labeled themselves “casual” fans) were included in the analysis.

In other words...they ommitted their sample size, and I happen to think that it's incredibly small. I think most casual fans aged 18-30 might not know a single thing about the Buffalo Bills.

The ratings include the top 3 responses. If Patriots, Jets and Dolphins fans include the Bills in their top 3 most hated teams, that's three huge markets and fan bases. So while I was surprised to see the Bills in the top 10 most hated teams, I think that is how we got there.

I believe it that the Bills are top 10 in most hated teams. I have no clue why though.

But you kind of see it in the comments sections of websites when they post Bills and Sabres articles. There is usually all sorts of hate toward Buffalo, and I even notice on some sites Buffalo has their own (very) dedicated trolls.

I believe it that the Bills are top 10 in most hated teams. I have no clue why though.

But you kind of see it in the comments sections of websites when they post Bills and Sabres articles. There is usually all sorts of hate toward Buffalo, and I even notice on some sites Buffalo has their own (very) dedicated trolls.

It's Al Michaels' fault.

I would love to look through the source data for the poll and see which fan bases hate the Bills. I gotta believe that if we look at the data for people who selected the Bills as #1 most loved team, its like 75% hatred for New England in the 1 spot and 25% spread between Phins and Jets for the 2 and 3 spot.

Edited by Jauronimo

...the Cowgirls and Plastic Puss Jones hands down......hated the POS from day one...first move was to kick the legendary Landry to the curb like dirt.......the number of hats he tries to wear and fails miserably at tells you the size of his fallacious ego....next up would be Boy Danny Snyder.....more money than brains......George Allen and Bobby Bethard would be proud of what this azzclown has NOT accomplished......the Pats?.....why?...if the Pats, why not the Steelers (and save the Cheatriots crap-it's stale)?....ELEVEN Lombardis between them....both are well run, bonafide FOOTBALL organizations from FO to Administration to between the stripes with NON-meddling owners......they hire the best and let them do their jobs.....envious?...of course.....ELEVEN Lombardis versus SEVENTEEN year drought is in the numbers....eleven leaves the shelf stocked....seventeen leaves the cupboard BARE IMO...........

I would love to look through the source data for the poll and see which fan bases hate the Bills. I gotta believe that if we look at the data for people who selected the Bills as #1 most loved team, its like 75% hatred for New England in the 1 spot and 25% spread between Phins and Jets for the 2 and 3 spot.

538 shares their data for a lot of their stories on GitHub. That specific one isn't there yet, but if it doesn't show up in the next few weeks, can't hurt to send an email or tweat, bet they would share.

https://github.com/fivethirtyeight/data

Plenty of youtube vids on how to use github, and you can load datasets directly into R (theoretically, I guess I need to watch more youtube!).

Well, it looks like the least-cared about teams in the NFL are the Jacksonville Jaguars, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Tennessee Titans (based on adding the scores from both columns). I am also surprised there is more Dallas hate than NE hate at this point.

Before the Panthers most East coast states south of Maryland covered the Skins

Could be old ties die hard.

Of note: 6 fan bases hate the Patriots more than Bills fans, according to the study.

And even then, only 30.4% of Bills fans put the Patriots in their bottom 3.

Meaning @ 70% of Bills fans did NOT have the Patriots in their top 3 most hated teams...

Kind of interesting. You wonder who all those Bills fans hate more!

Giants fans hate NE the most.

This story got a lot of treatment today with Schopp and Bulldog at WGR 550.

My guess is this is left over hate from the 90's. You grow up hating a team hard to change that. I still have the same left over hate for the Raiders dating back to the 70's.

My guess is this is left over hate from the 90's. You grow up hating a team hard to change that. I still have the same left over hate for the Raiders dating back to the 70's.

I kind of disagree with this. When I was growing up, Miami, Shula, and Marino were public enemy #1.

That hate pales in comparison to the loathing I've developed for NE*, Brady, and Belichick. Honestly I don't think Miami cracks my top three anymore - NE*, Dallas, and Seattle are there for me now.

Edited by sullim4