Good article on Bills front office purge

Hard to build a team when you have a different head coach and system to build for every 2 years. Like or hate Whaley, ignoring the fact that he wasn't allowed to pick his own coach and had 3 different coaches in his short time here is just wrong.

Yep I throw 100% of the blame for the new era Bills mess on the Pegulas shoulders same goes for the Sabres

if they weren't going to let Whaley pick the coach then they shoudl of fired him right after they let Marrone go..

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you leap to a conclusion like this? What is your source? No way do I believe that the Pegulas have just blindly handed over the team to McDermott. Nobody would run their business that way, especuially people as successful as the Pegulas are in the business world.

And they didn't, regardless of what some may imagine. McDermott was highly recommended by the league's own internal search committee as well as Polian.

"Whaley was all about scouting players; McDermott is about building a team. Scouts don’t always know how to build teams. They know only how to pick players. And a scout focused primarily on scouting players can succeed only in a fantasy draft."

Not to sound like BADOL - but this is what I have been saying about Whaley for YEARS...

I'll say, without any sarcasm intended, good for you. It's an old fashioned notion that the GM picks the players and the coach assembles the team. The best teams do it more cooperatively now, and there's plenty of evidence/rumor that Whaley didn't agree with the head coaches.

Whatever the reason its pretty clear that the Bills have lacked a consistent vision for what they want to be and a recognizable identity year over year. The good, winning teams all have that and the best ones have it most. So I have no problem with the notion of fastening onto a consistent model, having a vision for the kind of team you want to be and adhering to it.

It also obviously makes perfect sense therefore for the head coach and the front office to be on the same page (along with everyone else for that matter) but I wouldn't want a GM who was subordinate to the HC and who basically had nothing to add. You want a strong personality in that role and at the end of the day there is a division of functions/responsibilities that needs to be respected. I don't know anything about Beane but I'm not sold on the idea of having the GM owe his job to the HC. He should owe it to the owner who actually hired him. And I also have a concern about the Pegulas falling too hard too fast. Can only hope that they struck gold this time because they were definitely "buffaloed" by Rex the last time.

Edited by starrymessenger

Whatever the reason its pretty clear that the Bills have lacked a consistent vision for what they want to be and a recognizable identity year over year. The good, winning teams all have that and the best ones have it most. So I have no problem with the notion of fastening onto a consistent model, having a vision for the kind of team you want to be and adhering to it.

It also obviously makes perfect sense therefore for the head coach and the front office to be on the same page (along with everyone else for that matter) but I wouldn't want a GM who was subordinate to the HC and who basically had nothing to add. You want a strong personality in that role and at the end of the day there is a division of functions/responsibilities that needs to be respected. I don't know anything about Beane but I'm not sold on the idea of having the GM owe his job to the HC. He should owe it to the owner who actually hired him. And I also have a concern about the Pegulas falling too hard too fast. Can only hope that they struck gold this time because they were definitely "buffaloed" by Rex the last time.

Solid post. I have the same concerns. Pegulas are great folks, but they seem to need a football czar/hockey president to help prevent "infatuation errors."

Great article, thanks.

In this day and age where fantasy football is the rage, i think this article does help to explain why some of the less-savvy posters would think Lil Doug was a good GM. No doubt he was in WAY over his head, but if he had been here a decade earlier, he would've been a big upgrade over John friggin' Guy.

This raises the question: Was Whaley incapable of "building a team" or was he handicapped by decisions made by owner/management? For the sake of argument, let's say he indeed had a strong vision of the kind of franchise he wanted to build, which by all accounts was along the lines of Pittsburgh. And what has made the Steelers a decades-long success? A philosophy strongly held to by ownership, management and coaching about what the elements are that make up a perennial winner. This shared approach dates back roughly to the days in the 60s when Dan Rooney took charge of the team and continues to this very moment. That's a period of about 50 years of stability and success, something unimaginable to Bills fans who have a few years in the 60s and a few in the 90s to fondly remember. The rest is mostly dismal.

You cannot have ownership believing in one path to success, a GM building a team along another path, and a coaching staff with a third. The Bills appear to have been following this latter "program" for years, if not forever, going first in one direction then jettisoning that one for another cool idea then replacing that with something else. "Let's go with Tampa Two...No, let's go with the 4-3...wait, the 3-4 is better." "Let's go with light, fast players...No, we need heavy road graders...But the West Coast hybrid's the best...Or maybe a run-first approach with a skittish QB is the way." Out with Chan, in with Marrone...Out with Marrone, in with Ryan...Out with Ryan, in with McDermott...

One reason DW was reduced to little more than Super Scout Dougie appears to be precisely the absence of a coherent vision of how a successful franchise is constructed that is shared across all areas. His inability to prevail in selling this vision (if he did have one) is then his true failure. His well-reported clashes with Marrone and Ryan suggest they for certain weren't "sharing" DW's approach and this further indicates they likely weren't the coaching hires he'd have made, which circles back to his failure to convince Brandon, and later, the Pegulas, that his way was the best way to proceed, and he should have the authority to bring it into existence.

For those who expect "the right solution is finally at hand because McD is here and DW is not, I'm not so sure. Think about the Pittsburgh model. It took several years of mediocrity before the Steelers we now know emerged. Yet the Rooney family didn't replace Dan, and Dan didn't fire Nolls. They believed in what they were doing and stuck to making it happen until "suddenly" it blossomed. They've been reaping the benefits for decades since. Frankly, I'm not seeing anything similar with the Bills. Pegula seems clueless in that regard. I can't imagine he'll be patient with McD is the team remains mediocre the next three years. Then it will be on to the latest "cool idea." Yada yada yada.

This raises the question: Was Whaley incapable of "building a team" or was he handicapped by decisions made by owner/management? For the sake of argument, let's say he indeed had a strong vision of the kind of franchise he wanted to build, which by all accounts was along the lines of Pittsburgh. And what has made the Steelers a decades-long success? A philosophy strongly held to by ownership, management and coaching about what the elements are that make up a perennial winner. This shared approach dates back roughly to the days in the 60s when Dan Rooney took charge of the team and continues to this very moment. That's a period of about 50 years of stability and success, something unimaginable to Bills fans who have a few years in the 60s and a few in the 90s to fondly remember. The rest is mostly dismal.

You cannot have ownership believing in one path to success, a GM building a team along another path, and a coaching staff with a third. The Bills appear to have been following this latter "program" for years, if not forever, going first in one direction then jettisoning that one for another cool idea then replacing that with something else. "Let's go with Tampa Two...No, let's go with the 4-3...wait, the 3-4 is better." "Let's go with light, fast players...No, we need heavy road graders...But the West Coast hybrid's the best...Or maybe a run-first approach with a skittish QB is the way." Out with Chan, in with Marrone...Out with Marrone, in with Ryan...Out with Ryan, in with McDermott...

One reason DW was reduced to little more than Super Scout Dougie appears to be precisely the absence of a coherent vision of how a successful franchise is constructed that is shared across all areas. His inability to prevail in selling this vision (if he did have one) is then his true failure. His well-reported clashes with Marrone and Ryan suggest they for certain weren't "sharing" DW's approach and this further indicates they likely weren't the coaching hires he'd have made, which circles back to his failure to convince Brandon, and later, the Pegulas, that his way was the best way to proceed, and he should have the authority to bring it into existence.

For those who expect "the right solution is finally at hand because McD is here and DW is not, I'm not so sure. Think about the Pittsburgh model. It took several years of mediocrity before the Steelers we now know emerged. Yet the Rooney family didn't replace Dan, and Dan didn't fire Nolls. They believed in what they were doing and stuck to making it happen until "suddenly" it blossomed. They've been reaping the benefits for decades since. Frankly, I'm not seeing anything similar with the Bills. Pegula seems clueless in that regard. I can't imagine he'll be patient with McD is the team remains mediocre the next three years. Then it will be on to the latest "cool idea." Yada yada yada.

.....the ORGANIZATION as a whole has been handicapped by the patchwork philosophy of the FO and Administration over the last 17 years........it's been DOA since Littmann orchestrated the Polian firing (some kudos to Butler but he left club in cap jail).....look at the critical decision making positions and who has filled them during the "drought".....people installed with no qualifications for position(s), short term fixes with oldtimers on the downside......too painful...you know thr gory details..........

.....the ORGANIZATION as a whole has been handicapped by the patchwork philosophy of the FO and Administration over the last 17 years........it's been DOA since Littmann orchestrated the Polian firing (some kudos to Butler but he left club in cap jail).....look at the critical decision making positions and who has filled them during the "drought".....people installed with no qualifications for position(s), short term fixes with oldtimers on the downside......too painful...you know thr gory details..........

What are your feelings going forward? To me, based on how Pegs has handled both of his franchises so far, I'm not very hopeful anything much will change.

As of last year, I gave up listening to all the promises. It is what it is. Right now they are a 7-9 team with a new head coach. The lost a key player on defense (Gilmore) and a key player on offense (Wood). They have drafted players to replace them. We will see how this ends up.

Biilicheat learned to cheat and get away with it most of time - Has Lombardi?

My point is that a lot of coaches and GMs sucked in Cleveland. Some of them, at least, didn't suck with other teams.

Solid post. I have the same concerns. Pegulas are great folks, but they seem to need a football czar/hockey president to help prevent "infatuation errors."

They had a bunch of them with the league's advisory committee

Whaley didn't get along with Rex either. Note: he didn't seem to have had input there either. I suspect he was resentful of the fact he couldn't hire 'his' guy - and that made it tough.

I feel a little bad for the guy - I don't do well being micromanaged, and this is more than micromanagement. He handled it poorly though and that is a problem. My biggest issue with the whole thing is timing. I think he should have been out the door with Rex - especially after his going to the media whining that he wasn't in the loop on it. That's a slap in your bosses face. Insubordination, buh bye now.

All that said, I really think we are going to be better off moving forward, and that we will get someone in here who shares McD's philosophy. Gone are the days when the GM is the true 'architect' of the team who builds a roster and selects a coach 'his way'. How many teams are run that way today? Whaley wanted to be the GM from a bygone era. Coaches are wielding the power now, for better or worse. We can't be behind that curve and have a bickering organization hold us back. The next GM is going to be the "GM" - but in a different manner than the traditional GM who holds all the cards.

From that article - parse the words that McD said about one voice. There is one voice, his. Pegs gave him that power until such time he proves incapable of the task. Right now we don't know how much time he has, but I suspect it is longer than 3 years and we'll see improvement.

Just my .02

They had a bunch of them with the league's advisory committee

But who is advising now?

With Pegula's flat structure, when there is a healthy disagreement between the HC and GM peers, who settles it? Who is making that ultimate decision so you can go forward even if you have to "disagree and commit"?

What are your feelings going forward? To me, based on how Pegs has handled both of his franchises so far, I'm not very hopeful anything much will change.

...Pegulas have a definite learning curve......I'd bet they wanted both ownership transitions to be seamless, giving them time to assess the FO/Admin structures.....seems like that was how the Sabres went but hiring of LaFontaine and his hiring of Murray with Pat's quick exodus was hardly the plan.....now they've seen Murray and Blysma in action and do not like the results...can't blame them.....not afraid to spend money to get it right....proud people want proud clubs....as far as Bills, same thing.....Marrone was probably a decent hire and he did profess "culture change"....problem was he tried to be General Patton and pissed off players, coaches and brass including Brandon & Whaley.....I'd bet they orchestrated his exodus so he took the 4 mil and ran....Pegula never saw this upheaval coming and kept Whaley and Brandon, both under contract..more holes would have been disastrous.......Wrecks was an aberration hire only to sell tickets with Brandon's fingerprints on that one....Pegula wises up to that mistake and boots Brandon upstairs into a SOLE administrative role as Prez of business/marketing ONLY...smart move.....McCoach hire?......we will see..on the surface, he appears to be a gritty, no nonsense all business football guy, not seen in the last 17 years of abysmal patchwork be it FO, Administration and/or sidelines.....don't think he wants the incoming GM to subordinate...if these guys cannot work in tandem, 17 years could easily become 22....look at the Kraft article about the "elite 8 organizations" which you could easily boil down to four perennial contenders....solid FOOTBALL organizations run by FOOTBALL people...no unqualified "patches"...the GM hire and necessary interaction between GM/HC will dictate my optimism......Lee Iacocca said, "lead, follow or get the hell outta the way"...stay tuned............

You need a strong leader in the organization. Whaley was not a leader, he was a competent scout. Even if the new organizational philosophy is poor I think you're going to see an end to the dysfunction at OBD. McDermott is clearly an actual leader of men and people will have to either get behind him or get canned.

But who is advising now?

With Pegula's flat structure, when there is a healthy disagreement between the HC and GM peers, who settles it? Who is making that ultimate decision so you can go forward even if you have to "disagree and commit"?

You have your GM and HC work it out like adults.

I confess I do not understand how adding yet another management layer helps in terms of a "czar". To me it seems like the GM and HC would never truly have responsibility and would be looking over their shoulder all the time. I think the owner did the right thing by using the league committe as a guide for a HC. Now get the GM, get out of the way, and let them do their jobs.

You have your GM and HC work it out like adults.

I confess I do not understand how adding yet another management layer helps in terms of a "czar". To me it seems like the GM and HC would never truly have responsibility and would be looking over their shoulder all the time. I think the owner did the right thing by using the league committe as a guide for a HC. Now get the GM, get out of the way, and let them do their jobs.

That's not going to always happen with two strong personalities who both have a lot on the line in high pressure, high profile jobs. Someone has to be the leader. If they are truly going with McD's vision, then it should be him.

That's not going to always happen with two strong personalities who both have a lot on the line in high pressure, high profile jobs. Someone has to be the leader. If they are truly going with McD's vision, then it should be him.

I suppose. One would hope such scenarios are rare.

Last off season everyone in Atl wanted Dimitrofs fired. This year it is all about how Quinn and Dimitrof Work so well together. I hope we can find that tandem that can work like that together . That's what it takes. A coach that can explain the type of players he needs and a GM who can find them. Then let the coach coach.

at the end of the day Whaley was an old regime guy who was not of the Pegs' choosing. I think McDermott will be the guy for a long while. He must have convinced the Pegs to build the operation around his thinking . At the very least we will no longer be a house divided

https://theringer.com/nfl-buffalo-bills-gm-doug-whaley-fired-sean-mcdermott-d87e027bae86-d87e027bae86

"Good for the Bills. They may finally have a chance to catch the Pats. Not because Whaley was bad at his job, but rather because he was picking players, not building a team. Being a GM in the NFL is not like being a fantasy football owner. There has to be an understanding of the essentials needed for a team to succeed. And when the head coach and GM dont agree on those essentials, there is chaos, followed by losing.

As Nantz told me years ago, no one cares who the GM is; if youre winning, they care about only the head coach and quarterback. Now all the Bills need under Uncle Seans direction is a QB."

Here's where I disagree:

When a gm isn't allowed to pick coaches and the coaches change coordinators at annual pace-- how is a roster built?

2011 D.C.-- Edwards 34

2012-- wannstedt 43

2013 -- pettine 34

2014 -- schwartz 43

2015 -- Rex debacle

2016 -- rob, try to get 11 on the field sometimes

2017 -- McDermott 43

2011-12 OC -- chan

2013-14 -- Hackett

2015 -- roman

2016-- roman/Lynn

2017-- Denison

If you don't give the GM the ability to build a philosophy-- how do you expect him to build a roster?

Until we see what the new FO structure is I'm not goin to sit here and complain about what power mcdermott has or doesn't have.

The writing was on the wall for Whaley for some time now, no reason to believe McDermott was operating at a higher power than anyone else. There are variables at play that need to be taken into account in regards to how things look from the outside.

I could see if McDermott walked into Baltimore and did this with Ozzie, but our GM and scouting department needed a change.

Would be more confusing to give Whaley total control of a team he's about to be removed from no?

So again, at first glance, yes it looks like mcdermott has all this power, but he was acting in a role, that the person holding would not be in all that much longer.

i have a good feeling about this situation. after 43 years as a fan, i have not been this excited about an offseason and direction of this team in years. i think mc d will be a successful change and think he will take us forward for years to come. he will need to tweek a few things here and there but i got a good feeling about the whole situation.

right now i couldn't be happier and when all is said and done concerning the pegulas' sports team management and accumen , this will be accredited to them turning things around for the good.

https://theringer.com/nfl-buffalo-bills-gm-doug-whaley-fired-sean-mcdermott-d87e027bae86-d87e027bae86

"Good for the Bills. They may finally have a chance to catch the Pats. Not because Whaley was bad at his job, but rather because he was picking players, not building a team. Being a GM in the NFL is not like being a fantasy football owner. There has to be an understanding of the essentials needed for a team to succeed. And when the head coach and GM don’t agree on those essentials, there is chaos, followed by losing.[/size]

As Nantz told me years ago, no one cares who the GM is; if you’re winning, they care about only the head coach and quarterback. Now all the Bills need under Uncle Sean’s direction is a QB."

Excellent article, hopefully all the pegula haters will see the light now.

Yes. Moreover, any credible assessment of the players Whaley drafted, must take into account that Whaley has had to try to build 3 teams for 3 head coaches with different offensive and defensive schemes.

I don't get the "drafting players, not building a team" line.

I could be wrong but I had the impression that the seeds of Whaley's firing were laid back in November, and they were just waiting until after the draft to proceed *shrug*

I don't think one has to create narratives about it being "necessary" to push Whaley out the door or about "scouting not building a team". My personal thing is that the GM and coach usually come and go as a set. Give whichever one you hire first the partner he wants, and Ix Nay any down-the-road excuses.

Yup, I agree with you on both counts. If you look at it Whaley tried to bring the type of players each coach wanted. I recall Whaley saying what he liked about McDermott was that he is not scheme-centric and that he can adjust his schemes to suit the player personnel, which is what was needed as the team's basically had 2 different schemes from times with Marrone and Ryan.

Edited by CanadianFan

Cracks me up.

When people talk about defensive or offensive ranking, they mean yards. Period. It's how this is judged.

Until Buffalo does well in scoring for a year. Then suddenly Bills fans change how they evaluate everything. And it will change back if we score poorly but make a lot of yards.

Offences are ranked by yards for good reason. Yards figures are much less affected by defence and STs than is scoring. Yards better isolates how well the offence itself is doing. Scoring is affected a ton by field position. Not to mention that defences and STs sometimes actually score points (and the Bills were top ten in that department last year).

And the offence had the 11th best average drive start in the league. While leaving the defence the 23rd best average drive starts. Which meant the defence helped the offence while the offence left the D in bad situations.

In any case, yeah, we've had a very good run game the last two years, during which we've had bad defences. We've whipsawed back and forth between different offensive and defensive schemes during Whaley's term, and it has killed us. And isn't it possible that that's exactly what the article is about? That Whaley didn't have a vision on team building and so he just brought in players and picked coaches who had their own visions, meaning the team had little or no continuity.

In the history of the league yards never ever have one a game. Points scored is the only relevant matter. Edited by Bill_with_it

Hard to build a team when you have a different head coach and system to build for every 2 years. Like or hate Whaley, ignoring the fact that he wasn't allowed to pick his own coach and had 3 different coaches in his short time here is just wrong.

Amen.

And I hate to say it, but if Whaley "looked the part," then I think this fan base would have been a little more open to realizing how great of a job he did under two incredibly schitty owners.

In the history of the league yards never ever have one a game. Points scored is the only relevant matter.

When the points are scored is far more relevant.

Amen.

And I hate to say it, but if Whaley "looked the part," then I think this fan base would have been a little more open to realizing how great of a job he did under two incredibly schitty owners.

What are you taking about. Whaley is straight out of central casting young GM.

Amen.

Na id venture to say what that score looks like when the clock hits zero is more important. Thats why there is 4 quarters. Did you watch the superbowl last year?

Na id venture to say what that score looks like when the clock hits zero is more important. Thats why there is 4 quarters. Did you watch the superbowl last year?

That's not relevant. What's relevant is that the Bills scored 26 pts. per game (great) and had the best run game in the league (fantastic), yet still managed to have a losing season (very bad).

Did you watch any Bills games last year?

That's not relevant. What's relevant is that the Bills scored 26 pts. per game (great) and had the best run game in the league (fantastic), yet still managed to have a losing season (very bad).

Did you watch any Bills games last year?

Yeah I certainly watched every one. The defense gave up more points than the top ten offense scored. Could the offense stand to improve? Absolutely. Was the defense the deal breaker to the plaoffs last year? Without hesitation yes.

I like Lombardi but he's has a lot of misses in his career. Whaley had a top 5 defense and top 10 offense under his watch in 4 years without being able to pick a head coach.

..and even if whaley had vince lombardo coaching he wouldnt have won because he never got us a QB.

But that is the whole point. The front office structure needed to change. And the reason that Whaley wasn't "allowed to pick his own coach" was because the man has not at any point(in interviews, with draft strategy, with the type of players that were brought in) established a vision for what a team of his would look like. Don't you think they have had those conversations with him? If he had a convincing answer or plan, they would have let him execute it. They did not want to fire him. They had to.

From Doug's own mouth has always come the idea that he is in charge of acquiring the players and the coach will coach him. And that philosophy sucks and is pretty much evident as the root of any dysfunctional issue with this team since Whaley/Marrone Year 1. It goes beyond Whaley because this mantra was regurgitated from Russ Brandon's mouth also any time he would talk about "the 53." That's why Rex and Roman appealed to them so much; because they thought that they could just feed them great players and they could plug and play them into his multi-hybrid schemes on offense and defense. It was clear from the Watkins trade, when Whaley quoted his Pittsburgh mentor Bill Nunn that if you like a guy so much you go get him despite the cost, that Whaley was in over his head as GM and that he hadn't a real clue as to build a team.

It's not Whaley's fault. He was a player acquisition guy in Pittsburgh but he was not in the inner circle of decision making. They brought him here and he mentored under another career scout in Buddy Nix along with Brandon and Overdorf(3 guys that have no success in the league as a top administator) and we really expected him to become a great visionary manager.

Great post.

The structure right now is finally the right one (or one of two or three that could work). Whether McDermott, who was coaching defenses six months ago, is the right guy to give all of the power to - that's an open question. At some point the Pegulas have to luck their way into a good hire, no?

And they didn't, regardless of what some may imagine. McDermott was highly recommended by the league's own internal search committee as well as Polian.

Just a nit that Polian is a key member of the league's career development advisory panel, so there isn't any "as well as". Same thing.

The CDAP is a bit controversial apparently in some circles as being a means for members to push favorites who have an 'in' with them vs any kind of objective quality-of-candidate evaluation.

Cracks me up.

When people talk about defensive or offensive ranking, they mean yards. Period. It's how this is judged.

Urrrr, stats sites track both yards and points for good reason - because both are used. There's really no "they mean, period" about it. In fact PF/PA is the default sort on some sites (pro-football-reference I think).

Certainly not here, performance on points has been talked about long before Rex Ryan and Tyrod Taylor, which your number of posts suggest you perhaps ought to know?

Offences are ranked by yards for good reason. Yards figures are much less affected by defence and STs than is scoring. Yards better isolates how well the offence itself is doing. Scoring is affected a ton by field position.

Why would scoring be affected by field position, but total yards wouldn't be? You can't really believe total yards is the best measure Thurman. I don't think anyone except the NFL itself uses that as their main tracker. Our offensive DVOA was 10th which includes that abysmal last game. They have our run game as 1st and our pass game as 19th. I think those rankings sound about right. They're already taking starting field position into account. You're the one who got me into Football Outsiders in the first place, don't back out now!