Per Carucci, Bills now leaning toward cutting Taylor

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Rodgers was drafted in the 20s of the first round - so technically being middle of the pack would certainly allow us to draft Rodgers. : )

You have to identify your guy and pull the trigger

As was Dan Marino.

Quarterbacks aren't hard to find. Great QBs are hard to find.

For some(it should be for everyone), the goal isn't to just win 10-11 games and sneak into the playoffs. It's to win championships. The question then becomes, can the Bills win a championship or championships with TT at QB?

Just for reference, 5 of the 8 divisions were won by teams with 10-11 wins or less this year.

My initial reaction to this is "Stop....Just Stop". (not to you, Yolo, but to Carruci et al).

I've said before, Bills aren't going to make their QB decision in a vacuum unless the plan is to tank. From other players who are staying/trying to be signed I don't think the Bills plan is to tank the season (eg Kyle Williams). So the question is who else is available at QB they think they can sign? And how do they think Taylor compares to whoever that is?

Expect to see an increasing flurry of yes/no/maybe prognosticatios as March 11th approaches.

That isn't the question. It is one of several questions. Plural.

One of the other main questions is whether it makes sense to pay Tyrod Taylor the amount he will receive based on his contract as it is now written.

Another would be whether Tyrod's group is willing to work on changing the parts of the contract that the Bills actually have problems with. So far they haven't, and there's been no grounds for agreement from what we've heard. Perhaps one side will make some concessions as deadlines near.

Edited by Thurman#1

Driving around to meet clients and I heard the John Murphy show. They had Greg Cossel explaining why Tyrod is not good enough. If you listen to this show every so often they have been preparing the fans for what's next.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/118602534/3-3-nfl-films-greg-cossel-on-the-john-murphy-show.htm

Cool! Man I hope you're right and that is a sign of what's to come.

I comprehend it.

Some don't want Tyrod to take up that much cap space because they don't think he's that good and he's not a franchise QB.

I'm saying his cap number will not be a big deal in a year when the cap increases again and they can win with him in my opinion.

You're right that the cap number isn't bad this year.

But cap number this year is simply not the problem. The very high guarantee is the problem, that and the front-loaded nature of the contract. From what we've seen from each side, I'd guess the negotiations, at least unless somebody eventually backs down, go like this:

OBD: Look, the cap numbers aren't the problem. The problem is the front-loaded nature of the contract and the guarantee ... if we keep him for one year it would cost us $30.75 mill and if we keep him for two it would cost us $40.5 mill and those numbers just don't work for us.

Tyrod's negotiator: We'd be willing to change things so the cap numbers go down for you.

OBD: Um, I said the cap numbers are NOT the problem, the problem is the front-loaded deal.

Tyrod's negotiator: I hear you. We are totally willing to work with you on making the cap numbers more reasonable for you. What we're not willing to do i accept less up front.

OBD: So you aren't willing to address our concerns. Again, we don't care about the cap numbers.

Tyrod's negotiator: Yeah, we're completely willing to be fluid on those cap numbers.

OBD: Uhhhhhhhhhhh.

You're right that the cap number isn't bad this year.

But cap number this year is simply not the problem. The very high guarantee is the problem, that and the front-loaded nature of the contract. From what we've seen from each side, I'd guess the negotiations, at least unless somebody eventually backs down, go like this:

OBD: Look, the cap numbers aren't the problem. The problem is the front-loaded nature of the contract and the guarantee ... if we keep him for one year it would cost us $30.75 mill and if we keep him for two it would cost us $40.5 mill and those numbers just don't work for us.

Tyrod's negotiator: We'd be willing to change things so the cap numbers go down for you.

OBD: Um, I said the cap numbers are NOT the problem, the problem is the front-loaded deal.

Tyrod's negotiator: I hear you. We are totally willing to work with you on making the cap numbers more reasonable for you. What we're not willing to do i accept less up front.

OBD: So you aren't willing to address our concerns. Again, we don't care about the cap numbers.

Tyrod's negotiator: Yeah, we're completely willing to be fluid on those cap numbers.

OBD: Uhhhhhhhhhhh.

I still don't see why this matters. It's not like it' our money that's being spent.

They can designate Taylor a post June 1st cut in any of the coming years and free up most of his cap hit.

The money shouldn't be a problem. You pay the guy to keep the team competitive for the next 1-2 years while searching for a better option and as soon as you find that guy you cut Taylor and free up a bunch of cap space. He still gets his guaranteed money but it makes little impact on the Bills ability to field a competitive roster once he's cut.

Edited by jrober38

I think management and the coaching staff were so back and forth with Taylor that reporters were clueless and often just went by any source they could find.

I would bet the reporters were way more dramatic than the Bills staff.

Front Office: I know he's a decent QB, and the other options arent great, but he's not affordable at that number.

(Media Reaction: AHH, BILLS READY TO MOVE ON FROM TAYLOR AFTER INSULTING HIM IN LAST GAME!)

Coaching Staff: I know he's expensive, but he's our best option to win games and we want to work with him.

(Media Reaction: OMG, BILLS BRASS HATE EACH OTHER, THEY'RE GOING TO FIGHT BY THE PLAYGROUND AT 3PM)

Outcome: Bills and Taylor both look at their other options and agree to a restructure.

You know, the totally reasonable outcome that most fans with half a brain saw coming when not distracted by the Football Enquirer, and middle school gossip of these Twitter Journalists.

Front Office: I know he's a decent QB, and the other options arent great, but he's not affordable at that number.

(Media Reaction: AHH, BILLS READY TO MOVE ON FROM TAYLOR AFTER INSULTING HIM IN LAST GAME!)

Coaching Staff: I know he's expensive, but he's our best option to win games and we want to work with him.

(Media Reaction: OMG, BILLS BRASS HATE EACH OTHER, THEY'RE GOING TO FIGHT BY THE PLAYGROUND AT 3PM)

Outcome: Bills and Taylor both look at their other options and agree to a restructure.

You know, the totally reasonable outcome that most fans with half a brain saw coming when not distracted by the Football Enquirer, and middle school gossip of these Twitter Journalists.

:thumbsup: Good post.

I would bet anything it was similar to this.

If you were a rational Bills fan, or if you were a fan of another team, or if you were a young sportswriter, or if you were a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist you could see that it was a difficult decision. There is no definitive answer. No one on earth knows whether paying him or letting him go is the best decision for the team in the short, mid and long term. It's all an educated guess and if you have ten guys givIng their opinions you're not going to have a unanimous opinion. Just take any random one hundred fans or one hundred writers and you know that is true, unless you're an !@#$ who believes his opinions are facts.

You guys are funny.

Just because someone works for the media, I guess we're all supposed to take their word as gospel. People always bump the "flavor of the day" threads, after news breaks that shoots the premise down. But this is just the reality of modern day media "reporting". Vic, and his colleagues, are just doing their jobs, and that doesn't necessarily mean that they have to be right. They just have to get clicks. The easiest way to do that, in today's instant gratification, 30 second attention span society, is to print something controversial, something that stirs a very large, popular pot.

Controversy=clicks=cash. You rip on these media guys all day every day, but they are the ones that are laughing. That's exactly what they want. If you're ripping them, you're reading them, and that's why they're still employed. It's a shame what modern media and journalism has come to, and maybe part of the issue locally is due to members not having certain Bills/Sabres access like they used to, but we (society) are just as much to blame as the ones putting this stuff out there.

/rant

BTW, this part was included by Vic:

Per Carucci, if the $30.75 million guaranteed wasn't tied to Taylor over the next two years, the Bills would likely be bringing him back for 2017. Taylor has been unwilling to renegotiate his contract.

So he alludes to what actually ended up happening as the reason behind the issue. So not entirely a hack, I suppose. Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

You guys are funny.

Just because someone works for the media, I guess we're all supposed to take their word as gospel. People always bump the "flavor of the day" threads, after news breaks that shoots the premise down. But this is just the reality of modern day media "reporting". Vic, and his colleagues, are just doing their jobs, and that doesn't necessarily mean that they have to be right. They just have to get clicks. The easiest way to do that, in today's instant gratification, 30 second attention span society, is to print something controversial, something that stirs a very large, popular pot.

Controversy=clicks=cash. You rip on these media guys all day every day, but they are the ones that are laughing. That's exactly what they want. If you're ripping them, you're reading them, and that's why they're still employed. It's a shame what modern media and journalism has come to, and maybe part of the issue locally is due to members not having certain Bills/Sabres access like they used to, but we (society) are just as much to blame as the ones putting this stuff out there.

/rant

BTW, this part was included by Vic:

So he alludes to what actually ended up happening as the reason behind the issue. So not entirely a hack, I suppose.

point taken. He did hedge his bets. Technically he was right.

point taken. He did hedge his bets. Technically he was right.

Don't get me wrong, I see what everyone else is seeing. I just try to dig deeper to the root. The media and "reporting" certainly isn't what it used to be. And these guys typically put somethingout there, while aTthe same time, not backing themselves into a corner. They leave interpretation in what they say as an "out".

Maybe the Bills were leaning towards moving on, if they couldn't agree to a renegotiated deal. We'll never know. But Vic wasn't exactly far off in what he said.

I wasn't trying to be an ***, and like I said, the media sucks. But I'mmore of a " wait aandsee" kind of guy. I don't put any stock into what is "reported", because of the landscape of the business. Eventually, well all find out in the end, and getting all up in arms over what was previously "reported" is a waste of time. Too many people like to complain about things before they actually happen. I get it; we all want the news, and we want it now. Patience is lost with most people. But the bottom line is, if we continue to buy it, they'll continue to sell it...

But hey, at least it provides us with entertaining talking points.

I would bet anything it was similar to this.

If you were a rational Bills fan, or if you were a fan of another team, or if you were a young sportswriter, or if you were a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist you could see that it was a difficult decision. There is no definitive answer. No one on earth knows whether paying him or letting him go is the best decision for the team in the short, mid and long term. It's all an educated guess and if you have ten guys givIng their opinions you're not going to have a unanimous opinion. Just take any random one hundred fans or one hundred writers and you know that is true, unless you're an !@#$ who believes his opinions are facts.

There's also the !@#$s that think if events play out the way they've guessed, that validates all their opinions as facts. Instead of the possibility that there could be multiple paths to the same decision.

For example those who will say that this is a clear indication that Whaley doesn't have the power to cut TT because the coach is in charge and this indicates that Whaley is on his way out the door.