The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

Every rookie QB coming into the league is an "if", especially those that have seen a certain defense 99% of the time in college.

If you take the word "if" as an insult towards him, how do you react to any real criticism of his game? He's not a perfect prospect, few QBs coming out are and there's no shame in that. It's a process for the vast majority and he's no different in that regard.

ok I may have been a little hard on my comments towards you I apologize. I just feel this is the guy. It's my opinion

but I feel he will be special.

The last time I felt this way about a QB was Russell Wilson. I about put my fist through the TV when the Bills drafted WR TJ Graham in the 3rd round

and a few picks later the Seahawks took Wilson

Edited by billsareback

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok I may have been a little hard on my comments towards you I apologize. I just feel this is the guy. It's my opinion

The last time I felt this way about a QB was Russell Wilson. I about put my fist through the TV when the Bills drafted WR TJ Graham.

No worries.

The last time I felt this way about a QB was Russell Wilson. I about put my fist through the TV when the Bills drafted WR TJ Graham in the 3rd round

I forgot he existed.

He "sounds" great. My opinion is that he'd be worth a shot at the right price based on that. I thought Cousins sounded the same way years ago when interviewed in college. I'd throw Kevin Love into that conversation as well. I know Mahomes has that odd happy-feet thing, BTW.

The last two seem to have figured it out. Not HOF'ers yet but solid high-end athletes.

Discuss. And sorry for starting a new thread in the TBD days of nothing but new threads.

Would be pretty upset if he falls to our 2nd round pick and we don't take him. Agree that his footwork is horrendous, but somehow he is super-accurate using just his upper body. Mechanics are extremely important, but you don't see many people criticizing Favre for his unconventialities of play

Would be pretty upset if he falls to our 2nd round pick and we don't take him. Agree that his footwork is horrendous, but somehow he is super-accurate using just his upper body. Mechanics are extremely important, but you don't see many people criticizing Favre for his unconventialities of play

OpIv, is that you?

As long as the Bills keep selecting QBs I will be fine. But Whaley has a tough time this year since he needs an all star draft... I am sorry I am becoming a broken record. Last time (this week) I will mention it.

Edited by Beef Jerky

I really don't care what a QBs mechanics are as long as he can deliver the 15 yard out with accuracy and on time. Aaron Rodgers often throws with horrible mechanics. Trent Edwards had great footwork and a quick release. Which one would you take?

In the NFL, successful QBs are accurate, competitive, and have football smarts. If Mahomes has these qualities, I want him on the team. Watching him play I'd say he has the first two. The combine would answer if he has #3.

Hope he's there at #44. I wanted safety help or WR/TE for rounds 1 & 2 but I think we're okay now at FS/SS.

Rd1- OJ, Mike W or Corey D (WR/TE)

Rd2- Mahomes or Davis (QB)

Rd3- CB

Rd4-6 LB, OT & S

...oh and at least 2 more FBs

McDermott's "for now" comment regarding Tyrod makes me think they are in the QB market early and considering the signing of Hyde and Tolbert and the push to bring back Lorax and Kyle because of their intangibles. I'm thinking they go with Watson. He brings those same intangibles as Cam did coming out.

If you already have your shiny new QB but still stink enough to have a high pick NEXT year, it will be worth a kings ransom with teams wanting to move up for their Franchise guy in "the QB rich year".

Ball velocity numbers (MPH) from the Combine: 60 - Mahomes 59 - Webb 56 - Kizer 55 - Trubisky, Evans 53 - Peterman, Kaaya 49 - Watson

Anything under 50 is a little concerning, but there is no correlation between higher velocity numbers at the combine and success at the next level. For all the talk about bad mechanics in others, Watson has his own issues in that department and I wonder if his lower velocity score is directly related.

Footwork shmootwork. His footwork his sloppy and his accuracy is pinpoint. That's a huge plus in my book.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really do think that the Bills should draft Mahomes at #10 and a lot of the reasons for it are purely anecdotal...LOL David Carr gushed about Mahomes at the combine (the only one I heard him do that to), I heard on the radio this morning Phil Sims saying that Mahomes and Webb were the only two QBs from this class that have true potential at the NFL level. Mike Mayock calls him a gunslinger with an innate feel for the game.

The Bills could draft Mahomes at #10 and give him two full years to develop under Taylor, and by then Brady will be 42 years old. Two years down the road, this could be seen as the moment this franchise's ship started turning back on course.

Yes, they'll get plastered by the media and fans, but who cares. The media would have done that if Wilson or Prescott were draft at #10 in their draft years. He is going to be drafted in the first round, so why not just feel fortunate that they're in front of the teams looking for QBs in the pick #11-32 crowd.

Edited by 1billsfan

Footwork shmootwork. His footwork his sloppy and his accuracy is pinpoint. That's a huge plus in my book.

Exactly...

I swear if the Bills don't Draft that kid I'm going to cry... :cry:

Thing is they can probably trade down a couple times and still get him in the 19-24 area...I absolutely think he's going to go in the 1st due to the 5th year option...And I think Houston is a very likely landing spot...

I've watched every bit of what I can get my hands on of him multiple times now...He does things effortlessly that you can't teach...And it's the important things...The mechanics and footwork and all that are completely workable...What you cannot teach, and what he has in abundance, is that arm ability, touch, and intangibles... B-)

Exactly...

Thing is they can probably trade down a couple times and still get him in the 19-24 area...I absolutely think he's going to go in the 1st due to the 5th year option...And I think Houston is a very likely landing spot...

I've watched every bit of what I can get my hands on of him multiple times now...He does things effortlessly that you can't teach...And it's the important things...The mechanics and footwork and all that are completely workable...What you cannot teach, and what he has in abundance, is that arm ability, touch, and intangibles... B-)

You do this at the risk of the Cardinals or a team picking later in the draft trading up ahead of where you land after the trade back. That's a huge risk in which having that extra 2nd or 3rd round pick isn't worth it, if he ends up getting drafted ahead of the Bills.

If you want to draft him, I wouldn't get cute by trading back. There's a lot of teams picking after the Bills with aging QBs along with Houston.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really do think that the Bills should draft Mahomes at #10 and a lot of the reasons for it are purely anecdotal...LOL David Carr gushed about Mahomes at the combine (the only one I heard him do that to), I heard on the radio this morning Phil Sims saying that Mahomes and Webb were the only two QBs from this class that have true potential at the NFL level. Mike Mayock calls him a gunslinger with an innate feel for the game.

The Bills could draft Mahomes at #10 and give him two full years to develop under Taylor, and by then Brady will be 42 years old. Two years down the road, this could be seen as the moment this franchise's ship started turning back on course.

Yes, they'll get plastered by the media and fans, but who cares. The media would have done that if Wilson or Prescott were draft at #10 in their draft years. He is going to be drafted in the first round, so why not just feel fortunate that they're in front of the teams looking for QBs in the pick #10-32 crowd.

Mahomes has Dak's body and swagger with better accuracy. I'm down.

Exactly...

Yes. I think of athletic genius. He is throwing the ball in ways that shouldn't be allowed. And he is creating his own rule book. I think of how Hasek didn't have the "correct" form because he was creating his own. Tall order but I couldn't stop trying to make sense of what I was seeing.

To be very honest, I don't really know a thing about this kid but decided to watch a highlight video, because of this thread.

I gotta say... this kid looks completely looks like he has an incredible feel for the game, in addition to a stellar arm.

I wouldn't complain at all if we chose him in the first.

Let's go Buffalo!

Edited by Bad Things

To be very honest, I don't really know a thing about this kid but decided to watch a highlight video, because of this thread.

I gotta say... this kid looks completely looks like he has an incredible feel for the game, in addition to a stellar arm.

I wouldn't complain at all if we chose him in the first.

Let's go Buffalo!

For those who want to see some of the subtle things Mahomes brings this is a great video from Waldman and Schofield.

McDermott's "for now" comment regarding Tyrod makes me think they are in the QB market early and considering the signing of Hyde and Tolbert and the push to bring back Lorax and Kyle because of their intangibles. I'm thinking they go with Watson. He brings those same intangibles as Cam did coming out.

only Cam has a cannon for an arm....

Did they ask him what teams most seam interested in him? You never hear about that info anymore.

likely the unsaid understanding.

For those who want to see some of the subtle things Mahomes brings this is a great video from Waldman and Schofield.

I was hoping to avoid the" drafting a QB at 10 in the first" affliction this year..

That's almost an hour, and my team is about to tip in college hoops. Cliff notes anyone?

That's almost an hour, and my team is about to tip in college hoops. Cliff notes anyone?

It's for nerds. But briefly Mahomes throws with incredible accuracy and anticipation. He manipulates safeties and defenders and will scare the hell out of people expecting a certain look. Highest upside QB in the last few years if he works out.