The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

Bills need to take this guy

Sure, in the 5th round.

It's for nerds. But briefly Mahomes throws with incredible accuracy and anticipation. He manipulates safeties and defenders and will scare the hell out of people expecting a certain look. Highest upside QB in the last few years if he works out.

Yep, tons of talent.

Too bad he also has the worst footwork and mechanics of any QB in the last 10 years.

My favorite is when he's leaning to his left and heaves it up. That will work great in the NFL.

Mahomes is a huge project that will need at least 3 years behind a veteran before he should start an NFL game.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, in the 5th round.

Yep, tons of talent.

Too bad he also has the worst footwork and mechanics of any QB in the last 10 years.

My favorite is when he's leaning to his left and heaves it up. That will work great in the NFL.

Mahomes is a huge project that will need at least 3 years behind a veteran before he should start an NFL game.

And you want to draft a QB that can't throw a spiral.

Sorry to break the news brehs but it WILL NOT HAPPEN. His arm talent is crazy upside. The Texans are gonna draft him at 25. Call it. book it. Unless someone jumps in front of them. Houston is gonna be an exciting team to watch next season if they get Mahomes and start him.

For the Record: if we didnt keep Tyrod I wanted us to trade down in the 1st grab Mahomes and a WR and S in 2nd round from the extra pick we got for the trade down.

He "sounds" great. My opinion is that he'd be worth a shot at the right price based on that. I thought Cousins sounded the same way years ago when interviewed in college. I'd throw Kevin Love into that conversation as well. I know Mahomes has that odd happy-feet thing, BTW.

The last two seem to have figured it out. Not HOF'ers yet but solid high-end athletes.

Discuss. And sorry for starting a new thread in the TBD days of nothing but new threads.

Would be pretty upset if he falls to our 2nd round pick and we don't take him. Agree that his footwork is horrendous, but somehow he is super-accurate using just his upper body. Mechanics are extremely important, but you don't see many people criticizing Favre for his unconventialities of play

Edited by Marty McFly

I know there are some guys on the board who follow college football. These 2 guys seem to fit Dennison's offense, at least from what I've read. Obviously one guy (Mahomes) is coming out this year, while the other (Allen) next year. Are these guys both a fit for the Bills offense? How do they compare to each other?

Mahomes is probably​ the only QB I like this year, but is he a fit? If he is, take him at 10. If not, I would like to see the Bills trade down multiple times to get a few more lower draft picks this year, and maybe a few higher picks next year to potentially trade (if needed) up for Allen or one of the other top QBs coming out next year.

Wyoming is my college team so very familiar with Allen. He lost a lot of weapons so will be interesting to see if he improves on last year. If he does, I can't imagine he's not a first round pick. I mean, the physical tools are as prototypical as you could possibly hope for in a QB- perfect size, cannon for an arm and dude can run.

I really wanted to like Peterman, but he looks small on the field with an average arm. I'll check him out some more though. What would be a good game to watch of his? Clemson?

What about his teammate RB James Conner?

If we are talking best fit for our new WCO between the 2017-18 draft classes, my vote goes to Luke Falk...had he declared he would have been the first QB taken this year imo, and he will likely go top 10 next year as well...For me he is the ideal pocket passer with excellent mechanics, pocket awareness and anticipation on passes...he made the 2018 QB class go from being a very good class to an excellent class and the Bills would be very lucky to get him next year.

Edited by JaCrispy

If you have some free time check out Peterman. Interesting prospect.

Agreed. I think this is the guy I take in this draft as I think he will at least be a competent backup for years to come, if not a starter.

Someone will draft Peterman to develop him as a back up QB. Not gonna put a ceiling on the kid but it seems thats the plan. Kinda how OAK brought in Conner Cook

Agreed. I think this is the guy I take in this draft as I think he will at least be a competent backup for years to come, if not a starter.

Dude I wrote my comment before I read yours. that ***** crazy!

I like Peterman for his composure in the pocket. He constantly gets lit up but can still deliver a decent ball. Luke is someone to keep an eye on as well.

....wasn't much info out there as to how he did at the NFL Combine......did you see anything?..............

Wyoming is my college team so very familiar with Allen. He lost a lot of weapons so will be interesting to see if he improves on last year. If he does, I can't imagine he's not a first round pick. I mean, the physical tools are as prototypical as you could possibly hope for in a QB- perfect size, cannon for an arm and dude can run.

Yeah, we might need to tank for him or Darnold. Both remind me of Aaron Rodgers a little. I love the way Allen plays, I'll be keeping my eye on him this year.

Are the Cowboys gonna be able to make any kind of new years six bowl game run this year?

....wasn't much info out there as to how he did at the NFL Combine......did you see anything?..............

He threw well at the combine. His footwork is better than most of the guys as well because he played in a Pro Style offense. He's a gamer. Will stand tall in the pocket, wait till the last second to get an accurate pass off because the play calls for it, and take the hit he knows is coming. He doesn't seem to get rattled. I like the guy as a prospect.

Serious question.

Can someone explain the hype to me about him?

All I see is solid career back up. He is ok at a lot of stuff, and not great at any. I can see him being around the league a long time, just never being a proper starter

Very impressed by Josh Dobbs of Tennesee during his bowl game. Real good arm.

Same. I can see Cleveland throwing one of their gazillion picks at him. Hue Jackson coached in the senior bowl and looked good

He threw well at the combine. His footwork is better than most of the guys as well because he played in a Pro Style offense. He's a gamer. Will stand tall in the pocket, wait till the last second to get an accurate pass off because the play calls for it, and take the hit he knows is coming. He doesn't seem to get rattled. I like the guy as a prospect.

I like him as a developmental prospect who can thrive as a game manager with a good line and a running game.

Edited by Woodman19

I would grab Mahomes in the 5th

Mahomes likely won't make it out of the 2nd. 3rd Round is his absolute floor unless he gets arrsted before the draft. HIGHLY unlikely as he's no Baker Mayfield.

Serious question.

Can someone explain the hype to me about him?

All I see is solid career back up. He is ok at a lot of stuff, and not great at any. I can see him being around the league a long time, just never being a proper starter

Same. I can see Cleveland throwing one of their gazillion picks at him. Hue Jackson coached in the senior bowl and looked good

Pocket composure. Dude can navigate and play from the pocket probably the best out of all the QBs in this draft.

• 2 weeks later...

If I can just play devils advocate here...

A majority of the year, Watson, Kizer and to an extent Trubisky have been recognized as the top QBS of this class along with Chad Kelly.

Not many people if any were ever talking about Mahomes as the season went on.

Now all of a sudden he's the next this guy or that guy.

I like mahomes, I see a lot of tools in that he box to work with.

However, people need to be more realistic about this kid.

A majority of the year, Watson, Kizer and to an extent Trubisky have been recognized as the top QBS of this class along with Chad Kelly.

Mahomes was always considered among the top QBs in this class.

It seems that some folks in the media caught on to him later is all.

2014 the Big 3 were Manziel, Bortles, and Bridgewater. Then near the draft there were people insisting that the best QB was Derek Carr. Fact was that people in the know liked Carr. Including Kyle Shanahan but the Browns owner listened to a homeless person who told him to take Manziel over his offensive coordinator.

2014 the Big 3 were Manziel, Bortles, and Bridgewater. Then near the draft there were people insisting that the best QB was Derek Carr. Fact was that people in the know liked Carr. Including Kyle Shanahan but the Browns owner listened to a homeless person who told him to take Manziel over his offensive coordinator.

That is not true actually. Bortles was the late riser in that class not Carr.

Depends on who you listened to. There were a lot of media people saying Carr was outside the top 3 for a while. Mike Mayock had Carr as QB 3.

Well depends what you mean as a late riser. Bortles wasn't considered likely to come out then his declaring wasn't a big deal it was in the last month of the process Bortles shot up boards. Carr had been a back end of 1st / early 2nd guy the whole way along.

That year Bortles was the riser, Bridgewater the faller and Manziel the polarizing prospect. There were teams with 6th round grades on Manziel and teams with 1st round grades on him.

I agree. I've had a similar discussions with other posters elsewhere on this forum. Too many people are anointing him as the next great one. You should never do that with any player, but especially a guy like Mahomes who like almost every other play has a few question marks. He might go on to become a great one, but there isn't anything that indicates it's a sure thing.

Whaley literally cannot afford to not take one if available at 10. If he passes on Watson or Mahomes and they turn out good... It's over for him as it should be

I agree with that statement totally

I completely disagree. When has a GM ever been fired for passing on a QB in the 1st round that is seen as a project/gamble?

It's not like any of these QBs are seen as sure things. Every one is seen as a project. GM's pass on project QBs every year, some that end up being good, and I have never heard of one of those GMs getting fired for it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

On the other hand, how many times has a GM been fired for whiffing on a 1st round QB pick?

IMO I feel like it's almost a guarantee that if Whaley whiffs on (another) 1st round QB he will lose his job. I don't know how many GMs are given more than 2 opportunities to draft a 1st round QB, but I bet the list is extremely small (if there's even a list at all).

Whaley himself said he expected to be fired if EJ Manuel didn't pan out... It's on video.

GM's usually don't expect to survive missing on a 1st round QB. Especially a top 10 draft pick. If he misses on a top 10 picked QB, how can Pegula Not fire him?