The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

You could cut Taylor and roll with Cardale. Might not sound ideal, but if we are bad enough and have a shot at Darnold or Rosen or Falk.

Heck, best case scenerio, Jones ends up being the answer.

All in all Taylor is not taking this team to the post season.

Darnold will be gone before we draft and Rosen I have heard is mentally fragile. If there is a QB you like you pull the trigger.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your current NFL MVP had 37 in his last two years at BU. Not for nothing having a 4-2 ratio in the two games against Ohio State and Albama whom have NFL caliber secondaries. NEither of the two INTs coming against Bama, on the biggest stage, executtin two beautiful drives.

Almost every QB worth their weight will be bailed out by their WR. Antonio Brown, ODB, Julio Jones, etc... all have bailed out their QB. It's one of the things that helps seperate them from their peers.

The point is, these guys are willing to allow their playmaker to make a play on the ball.

Not for nothing we drafted a WR forth overall and paid Clay handsomely. Wouldnt you rather see those guys be given a chance to make a play oppose to a short check down? The type of play that looks good on the state sheet and yet doesn't bet first downs or utilize the talent we have tried to accrue.

And believe me I am not saying he's without fault. I also acknowledge that not every pass is an accurate one, but in that regard not every INT is a QBS fault. Bad routes, play call, tipped passes, etc..

You asked why people are questioning his accuracy, and I told you what some of the concerns by scouts and analysts have been. There is a reason scouts and professional analysts have concerns about his ability to be accurate at the next level. And college stats get way over valued year after years. The 10 most productive college football QB's of all time either busted out or didn't even make the NFL. College stats get over hyped, over played, every year when projecting to the NFL. At the end of the day, its no exact science, all people can do is look at the tape and make their best guess.

I have nothing against Watson, I loved watching him in college...but the list is LONG of QB's who looked phenomenal in college but went on to be busts in the NFL. If we draft him, I will be rooting hard for him every Sunday. But going into a draft, people look at everything to find that key piece of information that tells you this kid is gonna be special, or this kid is too risky.

I mean Watson's concerns are relevant enough that despite having a superior career as a QB in a draft where QB is one of the weaker positions, he is most often not considered the top QB and frequently ranked behind Trubisky and Kizer.

Once the draft is over...nothing matters anymore...not pre draft grades, not draft slot, nothing...all that matters is what you do on the field. So he or any other QB could go on and have great careers, but since no one can see the future, all they have to go on now is pros and cons. And like it or not, Watson has some risk to him.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Exactly...so why create a need by cutting Taylor just to HAVE to draft for need at one of the weak positions in what is an insanely talented and deep draft everywhere else?

If we keep Taylor, then we can take the best player available, which could even be a QB if that were the case (which lets be honest, no QB in this draft will the BPA on any board at the 10th pick).

But if we CUT Taylor, now you are MAKING us draft on NEED and not take the BEST prospect available. I mean you are literally making my point for me.

You didn't say anything about cutting Taylor. We could keep him and still draft a QB at 10. It makes no difference because he is not the guy.

Bottom line is this:

This could not be a worse year for the Bills to target a QB in the draft for a number of reasons:

1. We have a lot of holes to fill, and this draft is LOADED with talent in a lot of areas like S, CB, WR, TE, and LB and is already being called one of the richest and deepest drafts in a long time.

2. The 2 weakest parts of this draft are OT and QB.

3. We don't have a 4th round pick in a draft where you can get a WR, DB or TE in the 4th that would go in the 2nd or 3rd in most drafts.

I guess thats the Bills way..."Hey, we only 3 picks in the first 4 rounds...so lets use one on the weakest part of this draft at a position that wasn't our biggest problem while ignoring BETTER prospects at BIGGER positions of need". #brilliance

Your argument here is drafting for need, if I'm understanding you correctly.

The problem with waiting for him in the second round is that there is a good chance he won't be there. There are numerous qb needy teams ahead of us that would also take him in the second round. If the organization is serious about him they should trade down in the first round and then select him. The history of the Bills when waiting for a targeted qb is that we get bypassed by a more enterprising team.

Agreed, sort of. If you like and believe in him....Take him at 10.

The problem with waiting for the second round is if the top drafting teams don't draft a qb in the first round passing him for higher rated players they would be more likely to take him at the top of the second round ahead of us. You could also add into the mix a lower first round team such as Houston might be interested in him.

My approach is to identify the best qb prospect for you and then be brave and snatch. If the transaction can me made with a trade down in the first then do it that way.

Agree. But, if you are trading back you are not 100% sold. An example, EJ? Just a thought.

That's the point I have been making in my obnoxiously numerous postings on this issue. A qb starved franchise should not be passive on selecting a qb they find appealing. If the team is going to make a mistake in drafting a qb let it be the mistake of selecting the player sooner rather than later. The same sickening scenario played out with bungling Country Buddy in the Russell Wilson and Cousin draft year. Ether one would have had a dramatic effect on our team. Instead the outdated GM took a track receiver.

This bloody organization has to stop this foolishness. This franchise is crippled by its own devastating mistakes. I'm not criticizing this organization if they over draft a qb and it doesn't work out. I'm criticizing this franchise if it again allows a respectable qb prospect go by only to allow a team behind us to take advantage of our lassitude.

Please poster don't bring up the EJ selection. What the EJ selection demonstrated is that this organization took a 3rd or a 4th round prospect and took him in the first round. That was an glaring exhibition of this organization's inability to not only be able to properly evaluate qbs but also players in general.

Agree on everything!

I mean Watson's concerns are relevant enough that despite having a superior career as a QB in a draft where QB is one of the weaker positions, he is most often not considered the top QB and frequently ranked behind Trubisky and Kizer.

I don't know who you are still seeing ranking him behind Kizer unless you are beholden to Walter who let's be honest.... is not very good.

There are two candidates to be the first Quarterback off the Board in April. 1 is Deshaun Watson and the other is Mitchell Trubisky.

I want Mahomes and Kelly. Kelly can be had for a late round pick.

I totally agree with this statement Mahomes 1st round, Kelly in the 6 Round. Sign the rest of your talent through free agency and the other draft picks and undrafted college free agents. You will have plenty of cap space after releasing Tyrod. Also if you don't have a QB you really have nothing. I could have a team of all stars. No QB and your not going anywhere. Give me Mahomes, Cardale Jones & Chad Kelly and let's see what happens.

All other positions can be gotten but QB's they are the hardest. Bills need to think outside the box.

Redskins did it RG3 and Cousins in the same draft. Just think if they had not taken Cousins after the debacle of there stupid coach ruining RG3 and forcing him to play injured. They messed him up something good. No RG3 deserves some of the blame, but it started with Shanahan.

Edited by billsareback

You could cut Taylor and roll with Cardale. Might not sound ideal, but if we are bad enough and have a shot at Darnold or Rosen or Falk.

Heck, best case scenerio, Jones ends up being the answer.

All in all Taylor is not taking this team to the post season.

Tanking is a very bad idea.

Dak was great, but people are forgetting how stacked that Cowboys team is. He was put in a really good situation.

Very true, but when Romo went down last year, his replacements were terrible despite the same great line.

I totally agree with this statement Mahomes 1st round, Kelly in the 6 Round. Sign the rest of your talent through free agency and the other draft picks and undrafted college free agents. You will have plenty of cap space after releasing Tyrod. Also if you don't have a QB you really have nothing. I could have a team of all stars. No QB and your not going anywhere. Give me Mahomes, Cardale Jones & Chad Kelly and let's see what happens.

All other positions can be gotten but QB's they are the hardest. Bills need to think outside the box.

Redskins did it RG3 and Cousins in the same draft. Just think if they had not taken Cousins after the debacle of there stupid coach ruining RG3 and forcing him to play injured. They messed him up something good. No RG3 deserves some of the blame, but it started with Shanahan.

We only have 6 draft picks. We are not using two of them on QB's in this loaded draft

Yes, let's ignore the QB position for another 20 years. When you see a QB that can be special you pull the trigger.

Yes, Kelly can be special. Short bus special.

I think we are taking Watson or Mahomes at 10. That is not ignoring the position, especially after drafting Cardale last year.

Yes, Kelly can be special. Short bus special.

I think we are taking Watson or Mahomes at 10. That is not ignoring the position, especially after drafting Cardale last year.

If we get Mahomes in the first I will honestly be excited for the first time in a long time. I like Watson but wouldn't want him in the first round.

We only have 6 draft picks. We are not using two of them on QB's in this loaded draft

Draft picks do not mean squat, who cares. I could have the 85 bears you ain't winning without a QB in today's NFL.

You need a QB, nothing else matters. You can get all the other parts from free agency and from the 4 other draft picks,

college free agents, Canadien Football league, Arena Football, Australian Rugby. Who the F#%k cares where we get them from.

It's about the QB. Look at the teams that made the playoffs. Should I make the list of the QB's for you. No QB, you get no playoffs.

So please just stop embarrassing your self. Give me Mahomes, Cardale Jones and Chad Kelly and one of those 3 we will find a franchise QB. Please let's not try and go 25 years without making the playoffs. Those 6 draft picks are worthless they mean nothing

without a QB. Who cares who we draft. Will it change anything. No it will not. Now put Aaron Rogers on this team and trade all 6 picks away. What do you have. We have a playoff team. So please just stop, So ask your self do draft picks really matter, No not really. Not until you have a franchise QB. You have to Draft QB's to get them. You are not getting a Frachise QB on the free agent market. But you can get a great player in every other position in football in Free agency. Again you can't get the Frachise QB unless you draft one.

If you end up with one they stay with your team until there old, injured and out of the league or retired.

Draft picks do not mean squat, who cares. I could have the 85 bears you ain't winning without a QB in today's NFL.

You need a QB, nothing else matters. You can get all the other parts from free agency and from the 4 other draft picks,

college free agents, Canadien Football league, Arena Football, Australian Rugby. Who the F#%k cares where we get them from.

It's about the QB. Look at the teams that made the playoffs. Should I make the list of the QB's for you. No QB, you get no playoffs.

So please just stop embarrassing your self. Give me Mahomes, Cardale Jones and Chad Kelly and one of those 3 we will find a franchise QB. Please let's not try and go 25 years without making the playoffs. Those 6 draft picks are worthless they mean nothing

without a QB. Who cares who we draft. Will it change anything. No it will not. Now put Aaron Rogers on this team and trade all 6 picks away. What do you have. We have a playoff team. So please just stop, So ask your self do draft picks really matter, No not really. Not until you have a franchise QB. You have to Draft QB's to get them. You are not getting a Frachise QB on the free agent market. But you can get a great player in every other position in football in Free agency. Again you can't get the Frachise QB unless you draft one.

If you end up with one they stay with your team until there old, injured and out of the league or retired.

Redksins gave up a bunch of picks to draft RG3. They then drafted Cousins in a later round. I am sure they are glad they "wasted" that pick on Cousins. If you don't have a QB you need to keep looking.

:lol: So how do you plan on evaluating all of these QB's that you are drafting?

LOLOL that's a rant if there was ever one. Fak yeah I agree with you. Draft a QB every single friggin year till we hit one. LOL. Heck even Pats have drafted more QBs than us.

LOLOL that's a rant if there was ever one. Fak yeah I agree with you. Draft a QB every single friggin year till we hit one. LOL. Heck even Pats have drafted more QBs than us.

No, now apparently, we are drafting multiple every year

Look at the Browns they had a million great draft picks the last 3 years. All sorts of high round picks, extra picks.

Where did it get them. No where when the Browns draft a QB and he becomes a great one then they will be making the

playoffs. Until then they will keep being the Browns. Same thing with the Bills. You can draft all these great players you

want it won't matter. The only thing that matters is the QB

I love it even the team with the greatest QB of all time has drafted more QB then the Bills, You can't make this **** up even if you tried.

Then they trade these guys for extra picks. Then you wonder why we're kissing Beacheats rings

Look at the Browns they had a million great draft picks the last 3 years. All sorts of high round picks, extra picks.

Where did it get them. No where when the Browns draft a QB and he becomes a great one then they will be making the

playoffs. Until then they will keep being the Browns. Same thing with the Bills. You can draft all these great players you

want it won't matter. The only thing that matters is the QB

That is true. But you have to pick one you believe in and try to develop them. You can't just draft nothing but QB's and think one is going to magically develop. if we take one at 10, we are tabbing him as the guy. How many guys can you try to develop at once?

How did that work for the Redskins, They took RG3 in the 1st round and in that same draft they took Cousins in the 4th round. plus they gave up a crap load of picks to the Browns. I think cousins threw 35 touchdowns last year and the skins were in the playoffs. But the Skins GM was criticized when after taking RG3 and giving up a kings ransom. He still took a 2nd QB in the same draft in the 4th round.

So I guess in hind site it was a good move.

So to be clear here they ended up getting a really good QB it just happens that it ended up being Kurt Cousins the 4th rounder. Strange how that happens when you DRAFT A QB or a couple of them. Just like when the bills drafted a 3rd round WR named graham, you mean some guy we can't remember who is not playing football anymore. Boy now that's why these draft picks are so important LOL, You mean another draft pick we wasted and passed on guy named Russell Wilson. Idiots all of them ever last bills front office person should be fired. Draft picks really don't matter unless your drafting QB's

Edited by billsareback

Watch film of Rogers at USC. He had some pronounced deficiencies with his mechanics, many of which he fixed. I'm with the crowd that says release Taylor, trade down for an additional second rounder, and grab this kid. One of these days our luck will change. Ask the Cubs about that.

Watch film of Rogers at USC. He had some pronounced deficiencies with his mechanics, many of which he fixed. I'm with the crowd that says release Taylor, trade down for an additional second rounder, and grab this kid. One of these days our luck will change. Ask the Cubs about that.

Huh?

That is true. But you have to pick one you believe in and try to develop them. You can't just draft nothing but QB's and think one is going to magically develop. if we take one at 10, we are tabbing him as the guy. How many guys can you try to develop at once?

So how did that work it for the Cowboys. Forced to Start rookie 3rd draft pick Dak Prescott after Romo is injured in preseason game

against seattle. Either you can or you can't. This is no longer the 1970's where it takes 5 years to know what you got. You statement is a hot mess and wrong.

So how did that work it for the Cowboys. Forced to Start rookie 3rd draft pick Dak Prescott after Romo is injured in preseason game

against seattle. Either you can or you can't. This is no longer the 1970's where it takes 5 years to know what you got. You statement is a hot mess and wrong.

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. Sometimes you know what you have straight away, but Derek Carr wasn't a rookie year star (very similar stats to EJ's rookie year actually)... he showed enough to persist with but he has had a more traditional year by year improvement.

I will never say draft one every year.... but if after year 1 you haven't seen enough to believe they are worth persisting with (say maybe the Rams this year) you should not be scared to take another high the next year.

:huh: What on earth are you talking about? Yes, the Cowboys identified Dak as a QB they liked and wanted to develop. They didn't draft 5 QB's every year like you are suggesting

I don't think you watch a lot of college football.

I watch a lot of it. Could care less about his stats the offense he was in or any of that. I see Farve I see Rogers. My eyes don't lie

Watch him against the great LSU tiger defense. Chasing him all over the field. Very few QB's can do what this guy can do and I'm talking NFL QB's. So keep thinking that, If he can do that with no protection throwing from weird angles, flat footed, off balance, off his back foot. Oh my lord what will he do when he gets protection and you correct a few flaws.

:huh: What on earth are you talking about? Yes, the Cowboys identified Dak as a QB they liked and wanted to develop. They didn't draft 5 QB's every year like you are suggesting

I never said draft 5 QB's but those 2 in this draft would be nice Pat Mahomes and Chad Kelly.

I watch a lot of it. Could care less about his stats the offense he was in or any of that. I see Farve I see Rogers. My eyes don't lie

Watch him against the great LSU tiger defense. Chasing him all over the field. Very few QB's can do what this guy can do and I'm talking NFL QB's. So keep thinking that, If he can do that with no protection throwing from weird angles, flat footed, off balance, off his back foot. Oh my lord what will he do when he gets protection and you correct a few flaws.

What will he do when he is not throwing off a proper base and he is looking at the pressure of his guys all covered up and a tight window rather than having 15 yards to drop it in?

I think on Mahomes your eyes may lie a little bit. We will know soon enough.

Edited by GunnerBill

I was drooling over Mahomes before he even declared for the draft. If we have the option to land Mahomes at 10 and pass - I will be p!ssed.

If we get Mahomes in the first I will be the most excited since we landed Sam Adams via FA. I like Watson but only want him if Mahomes is already gone which is a good possibility.

My take on the top 3 QBs are: 1) Mitch is the most pro-ready. 2) Mahomes has the strongest arm and highest ceiling and will most likely be the bset QB in this draft. 3) Watson has the "It" factor and reminds me of Jim Kelly in that he steps up his game during pressure situations (3rd downs/2 minute drills, etc...).

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!!

For instance, on every passing down he'd rooster his arm and hold it in that position until he found a receiver. Dangerous stuff. He fortunately had a top flight OL that protected that vulnerable arm. That mechanic has changed at GB.

So were you suggesting a specific game to look at for Rodgers then? Because he played at Cal (Berkley). I was confused because I thought that might be who you were talking about, but you got his last name and his college wrong.

What will he do when he is not throwing off a proper base and he is looking at the pressure of his guys all covered up and a tight window rather than having 15 yards to drop it in?

I think on Mahomes your eyes may lie a little bit. We will know soon enough.

He will throw the ball away and go onto the next play. very easy answer to a question about having all 5 wide out's covered

with Revis Island coverage that will never happen. But keep thinking that. So the Bills can go 25 years without making the playoffs

Edited by billsareback

For instance, on every passing down he'd rooster his arm and hold it in that position until he found a receiver. Dangerous stuff. He fortunately had a top flight OL that protected that vulnerable arm. That mechanic has changed at GB.

He also didn't play for 3 years and was rebuilt mechanically in a way the new CBA pretty much prevents. By the time Rodgers played his release had been tidied up and his feet (which were never as bad as Mahomes' feet) had been tidied up. If you want to draft Mahomes and sit him for two years I think he has a reasonable chance of success. I think if he is forced to play early he will struggle more than the other QBs in this class.

He will throw the ball away and go onto the next play. very easy answer to a question about having all 5 wide out's covered

with Revis Island coverage that will never happen. But keep thinking that. So the Bills can go 25 years without making the playoffs

His accuracy on tape suffers in the redzone where the windows are tighter. I do wonder how that affects him when the windows are all tighter at the NFL level.

I am not against drafting a Quarterback.... so that is a lazy accusation. I am not even against them taking a shot on Mahomes (even though I am not even close to where you are on him). I just wonder if your eyes are actually seeing what is there. You just described him as the best player in this draft. I don't think that is even close to being true.

Edited by GunnerBill

His accuracy on tape suffers in the redzone where the windows are tighter. I do wonder how that affects him when the windows are all tighter at the NFL level.

I am not against drafting a Quarterback.... so that is a lazy accusation. I am not even against them taking a shot on Mahomes (even though I am not even close to where you are on him). I just wonder if your eyes are actually seeing what is there.

Best arm in the draft bar none. That's from every scouting service. Most say one of the best arms in the last 10 years. What's not to like.

he can squeeze any ball into anywhere. It's Farve reincarnated.