The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

My problem with Mahomes, and many other college QBs coming out, is they come from a "Check with Me" offense. In most instances it takes the responsibility of reading the defense out of the QBs hand. It's why it's so hard for a lot of these QBs coming into the NFL now to be successful - they've simply never been asked to read a defense. If they plan on taking him at some point in the draft they better make sure they get him on the board and in the film room to see how much he really knows and is able to recognize.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Pat Mahomes looks like he's just been given a gift to do this and it was exciting," NFL Network analyst and former NFL quarterback David Carr said during the broadcast. "All the different throws, the corner routes, the speed outs, he's going to grow underneath center, but, for me, he was fun to watch. I'd pay to watch him."

Sorry about that.

All good brotherman. Just wanted to make sure I knew what you were talking about. I think there's a difference between weird upper body mechanics and weird footwork, but that's just my opinion. I'm more up on Watson and personally wouldn't touch Mahomes before rd 2.

My problem with Mahomes, and many other college QBs coming out, is they come from a "Check with Me" offense. In most instances it takes the responsibility of reading the defense out of the QBs hand. It's why it's so hard for a lot of these QBs coming into the NFL now to be successful - they've simply never been asked to read a defense. If they plan on taking him at some point in the draft they better make sure they get him on the board and in the film room to see how much he really knows and is able to recognize.

I half agree with this...the biggest problem is that Mahomes' reads are almost completely pre-snap, with very little done post-snap.

The advantage he has is that his decision-making process is very fast.

The obvious disadvantage is learning to go through a progression without breaking the pocket when the first read isn't open.

Best arm in the draft bar none. That's from every scouting service. Most say one of the best arms in the last 10 years. What's not to like.

he can squeeze any ball into anywhere. It's Farve reincarnated.

He has the best arm no doubt. You know who had the best arm in the 2004 draft? JP Losman. Quarterbacks are much more than an arm. I don't hate Mahomes. I just think you are way over the top on him.

2010 was Bradford. He isn't a true franchise guy but he isn't a bust either. He is a Tyrod Taylor level guy. 2007 I will give you.... that was a bad, bad year.

It was pointed out to me in 2015 that when you looked at Bradford's career stats at that point and Fitz's stats they were virtually identical. At the time Bradford was coming off his best season up to that point.

It has nothing to do with Mahomes, other than noting that nothing is a sure thing.

I half agree with this...the biggest problem is that Mahomes' reads are almost completely pre-snap, with very little done post-snap.

The advantage he has is that his decision-making process is very fast.

The obvious disadvantage is learning to go through a progression without breaking the pocket when the first read isn't open.

99% percent of the time this kid and other QBs running that offense see some form of quarters zone coverage. Week in, week out; play after play after play. That is the main reason they struggle at the next level. They just don't see enough different looks in college and their heads are swimming when they get to the next level. I'd be surprised if this kid doesn't need a season or two before he's ready to start.

99% percent of the time this kid and other QBs running that offense see some form of quarters zone coverage. Week in, week out; play after play after play. That is the main reason they struggle at the next level. They just don't see enough different looks in college and their heads are swimming when they get to the next level. I'd be surprised if this kid doesn't need a season or two before he's ready to start.

Yup, all zone.

He has the best arm no doubt. You know who had the best arm in the 2004 draft? JP Losman. Quarterbacks are much more than an arm. I don't hate Mahomes. I just think you are way over the top on him.

This ^ I don't hate Mahomes either. I'm one of those awful people who actually don't like this years class at all, but I don't hate Mahomes. I'm just in awe that so many are crowning Mahomes as the next Rodgers because he has a great arm. There is so much more to do than just a great arm. Rodgers arm would mean nothing if he lacked in other areas. No one can predict what any rookie QB will become, and it seems like a lot of people are saying they are certain Mahomes will be an all time great. That's taking it a little too far imo.

This is exactly my concern. The learning curve from college to the pros is already steep for any QB. It's that much more difficult for these guys. You are asking these types of QB's to learn an entirely new skill on the job. There is already so much to adjust to without having this huge disadvantage.

I did not have an opinion on Zac I was all in on Tyrod because I hated EJ. But then I watched and I saw. He holds the ball way to long. He does not anticipate throws. He has to wait until his reciever is open and then only then does he throw it. He hardly ever uses the middle of the field, You can't make the playoffs like that much less win the Super Bowl. So it's time to move on. Plus I wanted Cardale Jones. I like him and if and when he gets his chance he will either Make it big or crash and burn. The key is you have to draft the QB's to see. No point in drafting anything else.

it won't get you any where. Only way to get a franchise QB is through the Draft. How is it that the Patriots who have the greatest QB of all time have drafted more QB's then the Bills. No wonder we suck.

If I had it my way we would have drafted Zac Prescott and Cardale jones last year, how's that for thinking out side the box.

just like RG3 and Cousins.

Where would be with that kind of thinking. Well we be doing pretty good, don't you think

Edited by billsareback

Like I always say, there's a difference between being a passer and being a quarterback. World is littered with rocket-armed has beens and never weres.

I did not have an opinion on Zac I was all in on Tyrod because I hated EJ. But then I watched and I saw. He holds the ball way to long. He does not anticipate throws. He has to wait until his reciever is open and then only then does he throw it. He hardly ever uses the middle of the field, You can't make the playoffs like that much less win the Super Bowl. So it's time to move on. Plus I wanted Cardale Jones. I like him and if and when he gets his chance he will either Make it big or crash and burn. The key is you have to draft the QB's to see. No point in drafting anything else.

it won't get you any where. Only way to get a franchise QB is through the Draft. How is it that the Patriots who have the greatest QB of all time have drafted more QB's then the Bills. No wonder we suck.

If I had it my way we would have drafted Zac Prescott and Cardale jones last year, how's that for thinking out side the box.

just like RG3 and Cousins.

I doubt that, since you didn't even know who he was

Just like all that smack everyone was talking about Zac Prescott. Keep drafting everything but QB's and will be 25 years without making the playoffs.

I understand your point, but I see it differently. Personally I'm not confident enough in any of this years QB's to use a first round pick one. I don't want to take a QB who I have plenty of doubts about. I would have no problem taking a QB in the third or forth round. This is where Dak went off the board. There is a difference in the amount of risk you should be willing to take dependent upon the round you are choosing a guy. I would take Mahomes in an instant in the third round. He's not falling to the third, and I wouldn't feel comfortable using the tenth pick on him. Our continued failure to take QB's in the mid rounds is puzzling. You don't have to be fully sold on a QB in the mid rounds as you would in the first round. I'm not sold on any this year. With that said, I'd be fine taking a guy I have concerns about in the third or forth. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Like I always say, there's a difference between being a passer and being a quarterback. World is littered with rocket-armed has beens and never weres.

I guess you did not watch the Great LSU SEC Tigers Def chasing him all over the field. 98 percent of the QB's playing in the NFL could not do what Mahomes did in that game. So keep thinking he is another strong arm QB

Whom is this "Zac" Prescott this most knowledgeable person speaks of? :ph34r: ............. :lol:

You know what I ment Dak stop playing games

I did not have an opinion on Zac I was all in on Tyrod because I hated EJ.

Ah HA! This gives us a clue. You didn't want to draft a Quarterback because you loved Tyrod and now you do because you don't love Tyrod. Don't let the Bills need for a Quarterback inflate your view of what is there.

For what it is worth I was high on Dak... or Zac.... or Lak.... or Qak..... the Prescott kid.

Ah HA! This gives us a clue. You didn't want to draft a Quarterback because you loved Tyrod and now you do because you don't love Tyrod. Don't let the Bills need for a Quarterback inflate your view of what is there.

For what it is worth I was high on Dak... or Zac.... or Lak.... or Qak..... the Prescott kid.

You know what I ment. I was high on Cardale jones. I said that

That's not what I said. I said we should be drafting a QB every year until we get a franchise QB. I liked Cardale Jones.

That's not what I said. I said we should be drafting a QB every year until we get a franchise QB. I liked Cardale Jones.

So you were all in on Tyrod and high on Cardale? Sounds like last off season was a dream scenario for you, not sure what you're complaining about

I understand your point, but I see it differently. Personally I'm not confident enough in any of this years QB's to use a first round pick one. I don't want to take a QB who I have plenty of doubts about. I would have no problem taking a QB in the third or forth round. This is where Dak went off the board. There is a difference in the amount of risk you should be willing to take dependent upon the round you are choosing a guy. I would take Mahomes in an instant in the third round. He's not falling to the third, and I wouldn't feel comfortable using the tenth pick on him. Our continued failure to take QB's in the mid rounds is puzzling. You don't have to be fully sold on a QB in the mid rounds as you would in the first round. I'm not sold on any this year. With that said, I'd be fine taking a guy I have concerns about in the third or forth.

Mahomes will not be there in the 3rd round. He will go early 1st. Loser take wide outs and corners and real teams that want to win take QB's

So you were all in on Tyrod and high on Cardale? Sounds like last off season was a dream scenario for you, not sure what you're complaining about

I'm not complaining. I would take Mahomes and then Chad Kelly with my 6th pick

and there would be a 3 way battle. one of them just might end up being a franchise QB

He's the younger brother of Kurt Cousins I think.

No RG3 was LOL

I guess you did not watch the Great LSU SEC Tigers Def chasing him all over the field. 98 percent of the QB's playing in the NFL could not do what Mahomes did in that game. So keep thinking he is another strong arm QB

You know what I ment Dak stop playing games

My comment was not about Mahomes. Not at all. His story remains to unfold.

If he can learn to recognize the myriad D looks he will see in the pros, he's got a decent shot. That simple.

My comment was not about Mahomes. Not at all. His story remains to unfold.

If he can learn to recognize the myriad D looks he will see in the pros, he's got a decent shot. That simple.

I guess when you enter the pro's you can't learn any more and you can't be taught or coached. Maybe he should go flip bugers at

McDonald's because k-9 says you done learing after you get drafted. Yes you have reached you max potential.

Edited by billsareback

Mahomes will not be there in the 3rd round. He will go early 1st. Loser take wide outs and corners and real teams that want to win take QB's

I'm not complaining. I would take Mahomes and then Chad Kelly with my 6th pick

and there would be a 3 way battle. one of them just might end up being a franchise QB

Right, but my point is that if you don't love a QB you can't take him in the first round. I wouldn't take one in the first this year. I'd definitely take a guy in the third or forth though. I'm sure if they like a guy in the first they'll take him if available. I can't explain why this hasn't occcured in previous seasons. I agree that it's been a mistake. I wouldn't personally draft one with the tenth this year. With that said, I get the feeling that Whaley will take Watson if he's available.

Everyone just knew that Zac was going to be special

I sure didn't and neither did the Cowboys. But at least they did not draft a WR like Graham in the 3rd rd and pass on Russell Wilson

like the Bills did, Boy I guess you just might get lucky if you do draft a QB

Edited by billsareback

I guess when you enter the pro's you can't learn any more and you can't be taught or coached. Maybe he should go flip buger say

McDonald's because k-9 says you done learing you have reached you max potential.

Right, but how many QB's from a predetermined read college offense have actually been able to do so? I don't know the answer. Personally I don't think that many have. It would be interesting to see if something is out there regarding this topic.

Right, but my point is that if you don't love a QB you can't take him in the first round. I wouldn't take one in the first this year. I'd definitely take a guy in the third or forth though. I'm sure if they like a guy in the first they'll take him if available. I can't explain why this hasn't occcured in previous seasons. I agree that it's been a mistake. I wouldn't personally draft one with the tenth this year. With that said, I get the feeling that Whaley will take Watson if he's available.

Whaley literally cannot afford to not take one if available at 10. If he passes on Watson or Mahomes and they turn out good... It's over for him as it should be

I guess when you enter the pro's you can't learn any more and you can't be taught or coached. Maybe he should go flip buger say

McDonald's because k-9 says you done learing you have reached you max potential.

That's what you gathered from my comment? That I said he was done learning and had reached his max potential? Really?

Nice talking to you. We're done now.

That's what you gathered from my comment? That I said he was done learning and had reached his max potential? Really?

Nice talking to you. We're done now.

You said if. Of course the guy can learn. His dad was a professional athlete. He knows how to prep and learn

so there is no if he can learn. He will learn. Can he then translate that into good on the field play.

I feel he can.

You said if. Of course the guy can learn. His dad was a professional athlete. He knows how to prep and learn

so there is no if he can learn. He will learn. Can he then translate that into good on the field play.

I feel he can.

Every rookie QB coming into the league is an "if", especially those that have seen a certain defense 99% of the time in college.

If you take the word "if" as an insult towards him, how do you react to any real criticism of his game? He's not a perfect prospect, few QBs coming out are and there's no shame in that. It's a process for the vast majority and he's no different in that regard.