The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

Anthony Lynn looking into Mahomes...

Eric Williams of ESPN.com reports that the Chargers held a private workout with Patrick Mahomes in Lubbock, Texas recently.

Head coach Anthony Lynn, who also went to Texas Tech, attended the workout along with offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and quarterbacks coach Shane Steichen.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/23/patrick-mahomes-josh-dobbs-had-private-workouts-for-chargers/

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of teams are going to look into these QBS and try and generate false interest.

I mean, by wide and large this class may be similar to that of 2013 in terms of how they fall.

I could absolutely see, Mahomes being the first QB taken and guys like Trubisky abd Watson fall.

However, that being said I am not buying anything this time of year. People are going to read way to much into who is watching who during the process.

The trick would be for us to land both Mahomes & Williams!

Go Bills!!!!!

I have been trying to figure out how we could reasonably or even somewhat unreasonably pull off that trick.

I don't think it's possible unless Mahomes falls into the second. MW is going top fifteen and probably top ten.

If you trade back, you don't get him. You'd have to trade up to get Mahomes and I don't think we have the fire power.

I suspect Mahomes goes in the first. If you have to choose, I take the qb.

I completely agree. If we can trade down and land him then perfect. You can get a Zay Jones in the 2nd round. Maybe put Obi with the extra 2nd round pick?

most of the time i'm all for trading down, especially if you're pretty sure you can still get the guy you want ... but i don't know if i'd risk it here. i'd just take Mahomes at #10. we have the luxury of Tyrod right now so Mahomes can sit his rookie year. since not much is excepted of us this year i'd also take Sidney Jones in the second (if he lasts), and Taylor Moton in the third (depth and replacement for Richie next year). i think this is the perfect year to load up for the future as opposed to just grabbing who'll make the biggest impact out of the gate.

Edited by essential

"Every time I watch Patrick Mahomes, I come away more impressed each time. I'm convinced he'll become a top 5 QB in the NFL." @PFF_JohnKosko

Been said about thousands of QB's who failed miserably in the NFL. The overall consensus is not shared with this opinion, otherwise he wouldn't be behind Meh QB's like Trubisky, Watson, and Kizer.

Draft rankings means nothing when the Helmets and Pads are on and its game time. So who knows how any of these QB's shake out at the next level. But going into the draft, none of them are overwhelmingly exciting or worth taking in the top 10 or even with our 2nd pick given the much bigger needs we have where there are BPA for the those positions than one of these risky QB's.

Stay away from QB's until the 5th and look to scoop up a guy with the same amount of upside as any QB in this draft in Chad Kelly. Let Kelly and Cardale battle it out, maybe add a vet, to be the back up this year and see what TT does. If TT falters, bench him and finish the season with either Chad or Cardale and see what we have going into next season. If nothing looks good, go all in on a QB.

Been said about thousands of QB's who failed miserably in the NFL. The overall consensus is not shared with this opinion, otherwise he wouldn't be behind Meh QB's like Trubisky, Watson, and Kizer.

Draft rankings means nothing when the Helmets and Pads are on and its game time. So who knows how any of these QB's shake out at the next level. But going into the draft, none of them are overwhelmingly exciting or worth taking in the top 10 or even with our 2nd pick given the much bigger needs we have where there are BPA for the those positions than one of these risky QB's.

Stay away from QB's until the 5th and look to scoop up a guy with the same amount of upside as any QB in this draft in Chad Kelly. Let Kelly and Cardale battle it out, maybe add a vet, to be the back up this year and see what TT does. If TT falters, bench him and finish the season with either Chad or Cardale and see what we have going into next season. If nothing looks good, go all in on a QB.

If you want to grab the next Dak Prescott or Derek Carr you can't depend on consensus. You need QB scouts that are up to date with the current NFL. Unfortunately many of the scouts still employed by teams are living in the wrong decade and their information trickles back to form the mocks of people like Kiper and Mayock. We need to do better.

If you want to grab the next Dak Prescott or Derek Carr you can't depend on consensus. You need QB scouts that are up to date with the current NFL. Unfortunately many of the scouts still employed by teams are living in the wrong decade and their information trickles back to form the mocks of people like Kiper and Mayock. We need to do better.

I agree we shouldn't be in thrawl to group think. You have to evaluate each QB individually.

I agree we shouldn't be in thrawl to group think. You have to evaluate each QB individually.

I have been calling for Pegula's to hire a QB czar for a while now. Find the best QB scout you can find and give them a bag of cash. It should be someone that would have found a good to great QB in the last several drafts. Make them prove their expertise and let's get some help in here.

I also wanted a head coach that was an offensive mastermind/QB guru to also help but that ship has sailed.

Edited by jeffismagic

I have been calling for Pegula's to hire a QB czar for a while now. Find the best QB scout you can find and give them a bag of cash. It should be someone that would have found a good to great QB in the last several drafts. Make them prove their expertise and let's get some help in here.

I also wanted a head coach that was an offensive mastermind/QB guru to also help but that ship has sailed.

If their was such thing we would have seen this already. Truth is no one can evaluate a QB.

If their was such thing we would have seen this already. Truth is no one can evaluate a QB.

There is no one that can predict the future but you better believe that some people are better at evaluating QB's than others. It did not surprise me that Oakland hired Mckenzie from the Green bay front office and then grabbed Derek Carr and are now a rising power.

Who would you rather have scout a QB? Kyle Shanahan or Doug Whaley? Doug Whaley or the Green Bay GM, Director of College Scouting?

How can someone who enjoys watching Taylor struggle to throw 200 ypg gonna call Trubisky "meh"

Help me understand what it is you're looking at.

That's right, the consensus argument is a lazy one. You hire talent evaluators and scouts to do this job, not rely on "consensus". If your hired guns and your GM believe he has the right stuff, then you pull the trigger.

Pat Kirwan

@PatKirwanRFN

A well respected QB coach for decades in the NFL told me Mahomes has the best arm talent since Brett Favre. Raw & not ready but worth it!

7:21 AM - 28 Feb 2017 · Dallas, TX

That is a fair take in my opinion. If you are willing to draft him as a two year project Mahomes is definitely worth the risk... but we just took a two year project last year, I'd be surprised if they go that way again.

That is a fair take in my opinion. If you are willing to draft him as a two year project Mahomes is definitely worth the risk... but we just took a two year project last year, I'd be surprised if they go that way again.

Well, we're getting Tyrod Taylor for most of 2017 no matter who we draft. As for project it depends on how willing and creative the offensive coordinator is. If Dak Prescott had to run the full Tony Romo offense then he never would have been able to operate as well as he did. Mahomes could be ready much earlier than you think if similar considerations were done for him. Also, the last few years the Bills have not asked the QB to carry the team.

Well, we're getting Tyrod Taylor for most of 2017 no matter who we draft. As for project it depends on how willing and creative the offensive coordinator is. If Dak Prescott had to run the full Tony Romo offense then he never would have been able to operate as well as he did. Mahomes could be ready much earlier than you think if similar considerations were done for him. Also, the last few years the Bills have not asked the QB to carry the team.

We have Tyrod for two years at about $15 per year, which is great. This is the perfect time to draft someone like Mahomes because we can let him sit and learn. We don't have to rush him in, new staff, and an experienced, but not journeyman, QB playing. If Tyrod ends up playing out of his mind and we have a Brees/Rivers situation, that's a good thing, but we are in the best position possible right now to take Mahomes.

Please, Please, please let the Bills draft this guy at 10 and were on are way. The swag will be back in Buffalo.

No, no, no, Mahomes is not going to be the BPA at ten. And QBS typically are overdrafted and over valued.

Mahomes may be the first QB taken in the draft but the kid has a long way to go. Very raw and you dont take that at 10th overall.

No, no, no, Mahomes is not going to be the BPA at ten. And QBS typically are overdrafted and over valued.

Mahomes may be the first QB taken in the draft but the kid has a long way to go. Very raw and you dont take that at 10th overall.

For those that think Mahomes is a reach at #10, he's already being talked about a few spots down at the Cards pick (he also just met with the Saints)...

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2017/3/24/15043782/does-the-arizona-cardinals-visit-with-patrick-mahomes-mean-anything

"Could the Cardinals’ top brass be looking at life after Carson Palmer with the 13th pick?"

For those that think Mahomes is a reach at #10, he's already being talked about a few spots down at the Cards pick (he also just met with the Saints)...

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2017/3/24/15043782/does-the-arizona-cardinals-visit-with-patrick-mahomes-mean-anything

"Could the Cardinals top brass be looking at life after Carson Palmer with the 13th pick?"

These are people that heard there was no top 3 QB and assumed the worst.

Saints Chargers Browns Cardinals all have had private workouts. Mahomes is going way higher than these people realize.

Sorry, but I don't agree with that at all.

If a team (any team) sees Mahomes as a potential franchise guy, then they should take him with their 1st pick regardless of the draft slot. It's the most important position in the game.

I've been thinking the only 2 QBs worth taking in this draft are Watson and Mahomes. And even moreso after reading Bandit's and Bloke's and a couple of the other hard-core draftnicks' reviews. I think if McD and Whaley feel either could be their long term answer, then pull the trigger whether it's at 10 or a small trade down (2-5 slots). I don't want Howard because a top 10 pick needs performance and passion. The fact that this draft class is strong with safety and wide receiver makes me feel ok about picking those in subsequent rounds as well.

With the new Tyrod deal, I wouldn't use a 1st round pick on a QB unless I thought they were very likely to be a Super Bowl caliber player. I don't see that with the guys in this draft. We should definitely take a QB, but not in the first round.