The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

I'm convinced this kid can become the QB Bills fans have yearned for for 2 decades.

His pocket presence, movement within the pocket to get off his throws, arm strength and accuracy are all pluses. I love the way he steps up in the pocket. It's why I hated Blaine Gabbert and Jared Goff as prospects. They were both terrible in the face of pressure, often times dropping their eyes and staring at the rush. That's a deal breaker for me....if I see that in a QB I don't think he has a shot at being any good in the NFL.

With Mahomes you have a guy who keeps his eyes up, steps up, and delivers very impressive accurate balls all over the field. He's 6'3", 230 lbs., he's the real deal and the Bills need to take a roll of the dice on him at #10. Does he have some quirky footwork and odd hitches? Yes. But, I truly believe this guy is going to be a future stud NFL QB.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/patrick-mahomes-1/gamelog/2016/

Go get this guy Doug! Please! Deliver us from QB purgatory!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this kid, bigtime arm strength on any given play reminds me of different gunslinger types. Favre, Stafford, Rodgers and Carr . He has that free flowing style to him. The key to his development is not hindering his approach but to fully embrace it.

Can't take him at #10 , this kid is not everyone cup of coffee. I can easily see scouts grading him from 1st to 3rd rd in the draft. With that being said we either trade bk from #10 and add pks or we trade up from 2nd rd to late first.

I love this kid, bigtime arm strength on any given play reminds me of different gunslinger types. Favre, Stafford, Rodgers and Carr . He has that free flowing style to him. The key to his development is not hindering his approach but to fully embrace it.

Can't take him at #10 , this kid is not everyone cup of coffee. I can easily see scouts grading him from 1st to 3rd rd in the draft. With that being said we either trade bk from #10 and add pks or we trade up from 2nd rd to late first.

this

Lot of good skills. Mechanics are very spotty. Most QBs with spotty mechanics don't become Carr or Favre.

Dak Prescott fell because of this criticism. I would rather draft QB's that are accurate than QB's with the right mechanics. Aaron Rodgers and Rivers also turned out ok.

Dak Prescott fell because of this criticism. I would rather draft QB's that are accurate than QB's with the right mechanics. Aaron Rodgers and Rivers also turned out ok.

Prescott was rising up draft boards before he got his DUI. He wasn't going to be the #1 QB, bc his college system didn't show his passing abilities enough. However, he probably would have been a first to second round pick. He nailed all of his interviews.

Mahomes has good skills but his footwork makes his passing inconsistent. Which means at this point he is Cardale. he could be better, he may not be.

Edited by LEBills

Lot of good skills. Mechanics are very spotty. Most QBs with spotty mechanics don't become Carr or Favre.

Footwork frankly is a mess and throwing motion is a bit slingy. The latter worries me less than the former but there is also a lot there that intruiges me.

As I said yesterday I only started watching Mahomes last night and an only two games in. I am working through my thoughts on the QBs to try and post a consolidated evaluation at the weekend.

Footwork frankly is a mess and throwing motion is a bit slingy. The latter worries me less than the former but there is also a lot there that intruiges me.

As I said yesterday I only started watching Mahomes last night and an only two games in. I am working through my thoughts on the QBs to try and post a consolidated evaluation at the weekend.

I love when he crosses his feet in his drop lol. Needs a lot of coaching. Great arm tho.

I'm sold. But he'll probably be a first round pick when it's all said and done.

I'd be ecstatic with either Mahomes or Kelly battling with Cardale Jones for the backup spot over these next two seasons while Taylor starts. Then in 2019 see what we've got.

Agreed 100%

Don't pretty much all Qb's do well in this system and then fizzle out in the NFL?

What do you mean. This list is loaded with QB's who had a succesful NFL career. Take a flyer at 2 or 3 but taking him at one and you are saying you are smarter than most draft pundits out there and are willing to bet against the established trend of Texas Tech QB pedigree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Texas_Tech_Red_Raiders_in_the_NFL_Draft

Prescott was rising up draft boards before he got his DUI. He wasn't going to be the #1 QB, bc his college system didn't show his passing abilities enough. However, he probably would have been a first to second round pick. He nailed all of his interviews.

Mahomes has good skills but his footwork makes his passing inconsistent. Which means at this point he is Cardale. he could be better, he may not be.

Mahomes and Cardale are not even close to the same prospect. If you think that I can't really talk to you. Mahomes is deadly accurate and has a fast release and footwork. Cardale is big but everything looks slow. Big arm but takes time for him to throw and pull the trigger.

Then again I saw someone else say Mahomes is Tyrod so I don't even understand how even a casual fan would come to that conclusion.

This is the new thing huh? Now everyone is comparing everyone who is an athletic QB to Dak? Dak is a one in a million with his talent to go along with the mental makeup. He also has the best OL in the league protecting him. Mahomes is Tyrod II. Watch whole games, not just the highlights. Misses guys, stares at the rush, likes to run, inflated numbers from the system he was in, he is basically a one read guy, makes plays extending with his legs, and any other Tyrod trait except I don't think his deep ball is as accurate. Mahomes is not our Messiah, he's just a guy who is athletic and put up big numbers in a college Spread offense.

What do you mean. This list is loaded with QB's who had a succesful NFL career. Take a flyer at 2 or 3 but taking him at one and you are saying you are smarter than most draft pundits out there and are willing to bet against the established trend of Texas Tech QB pedigree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Texas_Tech_Red_Raiders_in_the_NFL_Draft

Aaron Rodgers fell because he was considered another product of the Tedford system. And his mechanics were bad.

Many of you sound like you are parroting the dumb NFL teams that keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

This is the new thing huh? Now everyone is comparing everyone who is an athletic QB to Dak? Dak is a one in a million with his talent to go along with the mental makeup. He also has the best OL in the league protecting him. Mahomes is Tyrod II. Watch whole games, not just the highlights. Misses guys, stares at the rush, likes to run, inflated numbers from the system he was in, he is basically a one read guy, makes plays extending with his legs, and any other Tyrod trait except I don't think his deep ball is as accurate. Mahomes is not our Messiah, he's just a guy who is athletic and put up big numbers in a college Spread offense.

There is no one in their right mind that would compare Tyrod to Mahomes. The only thing you have right is that he is in a system that is harder to evaluate for the NFL.

Mahomes and Cardale are not even close to the same prospect. If you think that I can't really talk to you. Mahomes is deadly accurate and has a fast release and footwork. Cardale is big but everything looks slow. Big arm but takes time for him to throw and pull the trigger.

Then again I saw someone else say Mahomes is Tyrod so I don't even understand how even a casual fan would come to that conclusion.

The point is that he has a lot of raw tools but nothing else. Not that they are the same QB. If you are that literal we probably can't talk.

I love when he crosses his feet in his drop lol. Needs a lot of coaching. Great arm tho.

His back foot seems to have a life of its own at times in the pocket. I think that is where people might be going with the Cardale comparison. I don't see a lot there that is common between the two but they both have the wandering back foot and a big arm.

Aaron Rodgers fell because he was considered another product of the Tedford system. And his mechanics were bad.

Many of you sound like you are parroting the dumb NFL teams that keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

There is no one in their right mind that would compare Tyrod to Mahomes. The only thing you have right is that he is in a system that is harder to evaluate for the NFL.

So your point is Mahomes will be another Rogers? I love when people cite exceptions for defending a position as if it were the rule.. There is much higher likelihood he is a Billy Joe Toliver. Seems like you are the one making the same mistake over and over by projecting a QB running a non standard system to have the same success in the NFL. He is worth a risk at 2 or 3 but certainly not a 1 especially with our needs at WR.

Edited by jms62

No QB coming out of college is a finished product but here's the things I think are most important traits to have as a prospect.

Vision

Anticipation

Stong Arm

Accurate

Intelligence

Now when it comes to Mahomes he flashes the arm strength and accuracy that u need to be elite in NFL. His anticipation skills and vision are some what there but the system he plays in is a true spread gm that attacks the defenses weaknesses. I see him reading threw his progressions very quickly but not sure about the anticipation part of his gm. The one thing we know he's flawed at is the playbook portion of his gm. The question is does he have the mental makeup to digest an NFL playbook and keep his style of play intact. Which is easier said then done.

Not being mechanical or a great technician is not that important u can teach those things to him. Mahomes has great energy in his gm and the fact that he played in a gunslinger spread scheme can actually help him at the next level. This Kid ain't scared to make throws that's what I love bout him. He also has a great feel to throwing the ball knowing when to put a soft touch or when to lob or throw a bullet in a tight spot.

So your point is Mahomes will be another Rogers? I love when people cite exceptions for defending a position as if it were the rule.. There is much higher likelihood he is a Billy Joe Toliver. Seems like you are the one making the same mistake over and over by projecting a QB running a non standard system to have the same success in the NFL. He is worth a risk at 2 or 3 but certainly not a 1 especially with our needs at WR.

No, my point was that Rodgers was dinged for system and mechanics. Please show me where I stated Mahomes IS Aaron Rodgers. If I thought that I would trade every pick for him. I like Mahomes as a Derek Carr/Dak Prescott level prospect.

No, my point was that Rodgers was dinged for system and mechanics. Please show me where I stated Mahomes IS Aaron Rodgers. If I thought that I would trade every pick for him. I like Mahomes as a Derek Carr/Dak Prescott level prospect.

I definitely say more Derek Carr then anyone else. Kid looks just like him out there quick release, strong arm same type of high energy player. Even there body types are the same. I'm willing to say that there scouting reports are nearly identical coming out of college.

I definitely say more Derek Carr then anyone else. Kid looks just like him out there quick release, strong arm same type of high energy player. Even there body types are the same. I'm willing to say that there scouting reports are nearly identical coming out of college.

Yes, good comp. Also both played in a gimmicky offense that made them harder to evaluate. If Mahomes was in a pro system like Luck he would go top ten.

By citing the exception you are implying that is a possibility no? Otherwise why even say it. I agree with you that he is worth a flyer as high as the second round but absolutely not in the first round. This is not a draft to burn a first round pick on the QB otherwise you run a higher than usual risk of drafting Trash such as we did with EJ.

Edited by jms62

We take Mahomes I would start him from day one and let him throw the ball 35-40 times a game. Let him learn from experience. He might throw 20 or more pks in his first season but he's gonna learn a ton bout the gm and it will benefit him in the future. Peyton Manning was developed this way he also threw over 20 pks in his rookie yr but look how the experience paid off.

We take Mahomes I would start him from day one and let him throw the ball 35-40 times a game. Let him learn from experience. He might throw 20 or more pks in his first season but he's gonna learn a ton bout the gm and it will benefit him in the future. Peyton Manning was developed this way he also threw over 20 pks in his rookie yr but look how the experience paid off.

I would sign Foles or Moore and then draft Mahomes.

Foles, Mahomes, C Jones QB camp battle.

Like I said, watch whole games and not just highlights. It reminded me of watching Tyrod play for us. Is he athletically gifted and did he succeed at a college level? Yes, yes he did. There are a lot of things that he gets away with in college that will not work in the NFL. He will be a guy like Tyrod who can get you 200 yds a game passing, will be inconsistent with his accuracy, inconsistent with his reads, takes off when he doesn't need to because of the rush, can extend plays with his legs to make a downfield throw, and get you some rushing yards from the QB spot JUST LIKE Tyrod. The only difference is he is a shade taller so he might be able to see over the line a little better, He's not Rodgers, he's not Derek Carr, he's not Dak Prescott, bet that.

Like I said, watch whole games and not just highlights. It reminded me of watching Tyrod play for us. Is he athletically gifted and did he succeed at a college level? Yes, yes he did. There are a lot of things that he gets away with in college that will not work in the NFL. He will be a guy like Tyrod who can get you 200 yds a game passing, will be inconsistent with his accuracy, inconsistent with his reads, takes off when he doesn't need to because of the rush, can extend plays with his legs to make a downfield throw, and get you some rushing yards from the QB spot JUST LIKE Tyrod. The only difference is he is a shade taller so he might be able to see over the line a little better, He's not Rodgers, he's not Derek Carr, he's not Dak Prescott, bet that.

I urge you to do the same. Your Tyrod-Mahomes comparison is funny, I'll give you that. They play nothing alike.

Just curious, what QB do you like in this draft?

Edited by jeffismagic

The difference u cite about him being taller and seeing things better can be HUGE!! Plus his arm strength and accuracy is much better. So basically if he can do the things Tyrod does but sees the field better he can become even better then most of the QBS u mentioned here except for Rodgers. My opinion is that Tyrod is a inch away from being better then Carr or Dak .

The Bills liked Wilson and Prescott, but waited too long to take them and missed out. They weren't going to take Carr or Bridgewater the year after taking EJ in the 1st. If they think Mahomes is the real deal Holyfield, they're going to have to take him in the 1st, ideally after a trade down.